Senior Moderator

(Christmas Bash) Tales of the Glories

This is a collection of heartwarming and adventurous Pokemonized folktales set within the frame of my OC Maya Nijiiro and most of the playable heroes and heroines (and some anime heroes) sharing them at the party Maya throws every year.

The cast:

Spoiler:
    Maya Nijiiro (her family, and her Pikachu Lita)--Maya is my first and oldest OC, celebrating her 10th anniversary this year
    Ash (with his Pikachu, named Tintri for story purposes; and Melody, his Meloetta)
    Misty
    Brock (with Tarina, a Pichu OC I created two years ago that fancies herself a hero)
    Ethan
    Lyra
    May
    Max
    Dawn
    Blair (BW hero)
    Whitlea (BW heroine)
    Nate
    Rosa
    Serena

But before we tell the stories, we first have to set up...

Episode 0: The Party

A brown haired girl took a few steps back to admire a majestic, but artificial Christmas tree. "There...everything's ready for tonight." she smiled at a yellow mouse creature.

"Pika!" the mouse agreed before hurrying into the kitchen to admire the festive meal its master had prepared. The main course was a rotisserie Combusken with all the trimmings, ringed by fresh mashed potatoes, broccoli and green bean casserole, and homemade macaroni and cheese. For dessert, the girl had made her famous chocolate mint pie, along with a bewildering array of cookies and a Berry and cheese plate for those that preferred something savory for dessert.

"Maya?" The girl perked up at her mother's voice. "Remind me who's on the final guest list?"

"Ash, Misty, and Brock are coming like always..." Maya reported, making the mouse creature gasp in excitement over Brock's name. "May and her little brother Max are coming, as are Ethan, Lyra, Dawn, Blair, Whitlea. Nate, Rosa, and Serena. Callum declined because he's hosting his own party, and Lucas and Hayley declined because of other commitments."

"Quite a crew this year..." Maya's father smiled. "'Bad Delibird' should be fun this year...."

"I do have a new rule--an item may only be taken five times." Maya explained. "This way the game doesn't go on forever like last year."

"Who knew a MARs CD would be the one item everyone wanted?" Maya's father smiled at a memory.

"Everyone was getting bored three hours in, so hopefully this rule will speed the game up." Maya explained.

"Pikapi pika pikachu?" the mouse creature asked.

"Yes, Ash is bringing his instruments, Lita--we are gonna have a singalong." Maya replied, making the Pikachu grin.

The doorbell rings, snapping Maya to attention. "They're here!"

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Combusken for dinner sounds so brutal. xD I guess they have to eat something though. Lots of interesting characters here. Looking forward to seeing what happens! ^^
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

I'll have the first tale up today

Senior Moderator

Episode 1: The Tree of Life (Maya)

Maya smiled when she noticed Ash, with his faithful Pikachu Tintri perched on his shoulder. "Welcome, and thanks for coming." she smiled as they embraced.

"The pleasure's all mine." Ash replied. "Where do we put the gifts for the gift exchange?"

"Gifts go on the card table in the living room, and any instruments can go by the piano." Maya explained.

She gasped as an ethereal voice sang Karuto, iichiida shou... warping Ash's gift and his gig bag to the specified locations. "Well! Didn't know Melody was coming too." She smiled as she gave a tiny sprite Pokemon a welcoming pat on the head.

"How can I not come when tales will be told and songs will be sung?" Melody smiled.

"That's true." Maya agreed. "Speaking of stories, I thought about having a little storytelling contest--but I'll explain the rules when everyone gets here."

Later, in the kitchen...

After everyone arrived and had settled in to enjoy the huge meal, Maya tapped a glass to get everyone's attention. "Okay...first of all, thank you for joining us tonight. While we eat, we're gonna have a storytelling contest."

"It may be no contest--Brock's a pro!" Misty commented, making everyone laugh.

"The rules are easy--tell us the best story you can." Maya continued. "The winner gets the first piece of the chocolate mint pie and a special gift from me..." She showed the group a wrapped gift in green diamond print paper. "Of course, if you want to help by doing voices or playing on small instruments, you can."

Once sure no one had any questions, Maya went on "So to inspire you guys, I'll tell you a story of my own while you eat."

With that, she began "There was once a man who had three sons. When he lay on his deathbed, he called them to his side, and told them he had nothing to leave them but an orchard, which they were to divide among themselves. One of the trees of the orchard was the mythical Tree of Life; but which tree it was, and where it stood, he kept a secret."

"Just watch it be the most scraggly looking tree." Max whispers to May, who giggles as she helps herself to green bean casserole.

"So the man went on to heaven, and his sons divided their inheritance." Maya went on. "But the youngest son--whose name was Jack--was young enough that he was not allowed to be present when the division was made. The two older brothers divided the orchard between them, and a single tree in the middle of the orchard was all they gave their little brother."

[That's not very nice!] a Pichu wearing a red cape protests, but Brock just pets the Pichu to assure her all will be well in the end.

"They may have given him no land at all; under the assumption that if one of them owned the Tree of Life, they could still gather up the shining Berries that fell from it." Maya went on. "One day, a worrying rumor started in the royal city that the king's daughter, Princess Wendy, was very sick, and that the king had promised her hand in marriage and half the kingdom to whoever could heal her. So the brothers decided to try their luck."

"Ooh"s fill the air at this. "The oldest immediately ran into the orchard, picked a Berry from every tree, put them in a basket, and left for the castle. The way there led through a great forest, and as he walked through it he met an old woman, unaware it was the holy Delphox Kitsune in disguise, testing the generosity of those she met."

"Good day, good lad--what might you have in your basket?" she asks in an older woman voice.

"Froagies--why do you care?" she snaps in a mimic of Gary for the oldest brother.

"So may it be." she intones as Kitsune.

As herself, Maya continues "The oldest brother went on his way and came to the castle gate. But when the guards lifted the cover to check the basket's contents, it was swarming with Froagies!"

The Pichu's laughter is the hardest at the comical scene. "It goes without saying the guards chased off the oldest brother." Maya grinned. "Meanwhile, the middle brother had run into his half of the orchard, and had picked a basket of Berries from all his trees. When he came to the forest he met the disguised Kitsune, who bade him good day and asked him what he had in his basket."

"Wurmples," she huffs in character as Barry, making Dawn giggle.

"So may it be." she replies as Kitsune.

[Uh oh...] the Pichu giggles in anticipation.

"But when he came to the gate and the guards lifted the cover of his basket, millions of Wurmples came crawling out." Maya continues, to laughter and "ew"s. "Needless to say, he got chased off too."

[And then? And then?] the Pichu begs before Brock shushes her.

Maya just smiles and goes on "Finally, it was Jack's turn to try his luck. He picked some Berries from his tree and set out. In the forest he met Kitsune.

''Good day, and what might you have in your basket?" she asks as Kitsune.

"Good day to you likewise--I have the holy Berries of the Tree of Life in my basket." Ash jumps in the role of Jack.

"So may it be." everyone repeats with Maya

"So Jack went on his way, and when he came out of the forest, the road ran along the coast." Maya goes on. "Suddenly, he saw the waves wash a huge Seaking on the beach. He felt sorry for the Seaking flopping about on the sand, so he took it and carefully put it back in the water. Then the Seaking spoke to him, and said...."

"Thank you, young lad." Misty jumps in the role of the Seaking. "If you are ever in trouble and I can help you, sing to this sapphire and I will come."

"Jack thanked the Seaking, pocketed the sapphire, and went on his way." Maya continued. "Next he saw a Lucario and a Beautifly arguing over who was the fastest. So he carefully listened to both sides, and told them how silly it was to argue, since both of them were the fastest--Lucario on the land, and Beautifly in the air."

"Makes sense..." Lyra notes as she gets up to get more macaroni and cheese.

"So the Lucario and the Beautifly made up, and gave Jack a ruby and an emerald as thanks." Maya continues.

"We thank you for your good advice. If you are ever in trouble, and we can help you, sing to the ruby to call me..." Brock jumps in the role of the Lucario.

"...and to the emerald to call me..." May adds as the Beautifly.

"and we will come." Brock finishes the sentence.

"So Jack arrived at the castle gate, and when the guards checked his basket, the basket really did have the shining Berries of the Tree of Life, and when Jack gave the guards a few to sample, they felt so energized and full of life that Jack was immediately taken to the king, who in turn took him to Princess Wendy's room." Maya goes on. "He gave her a Berry, and she was completely healed. The king's heart was filled with joy, and he asked if she wanted to marry Jack. But Princess Wendy wasn't sure, so she told her father that if Jack was truly brave, pure, and unselfish, he would first bring her the sapphire ring that the king had dropped in the sea twenty-four years before."

Everyone laughs as they picture Jack's face. "Jack panicked at first--how was he supposed to know where the ring was?" Maya continues. "But then he remembered the sapphire, hurried to a stream, then sang to the gem..."

Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... Ash sings as Jack.

"The Seaking dove down to the riverbed, and soon returned with the ring." Maya continues. "The king received the ring with great surprise, went to Princess Wendy, and told her..."

"You know what was promised the one who could cure you, and the boy has passed your test." Brock explains as the king.

"Princess Wendy, however, said the one test wasn't enough." Maya intones. "She had to have a husband who could provide her with a castle as large and beautiful as her current one, made out of wax, and shine like diamonds."

[How is THAT possible?] the Pichu gasps. [If the sun got hot, the castle would melt like ice cream!]

"Well, at first Jack's face fell at the news." Maya explains. "And he did wonder how he was going to find wax that could withstand the summer sun." she adds, acknowledging the Pichu with a nod. "But then he remembered the emerald, so he ran out to an open field, and sang to the gem...."

Seios, higarima laisido... Ash sings as Jack.

"The Beautifly arrived and Jack told her everything." Maya continues. "She promised to do what she could, and enlisted some Combees to help her. The next morning, when the people woke up, there stood a castle of heat-resistant wax, as large and beautiful as the royal castle itself, and gleaming like diamonds."

"See? Toldja Jack would find a way, Tarina." Brock assures the Pichu before getting back into character as the king. "Now I can grant you no more time; now you must take him. You can see that he knows more than most people."

"Princess Wendy was surprised at what she had seen; but she still had one more test." Maya intones. "She asked Jack to bring her the three hottest pieces of rock in Mt. Ember. If he could bring her those she would be convinced of his bravery, kindness, and humility, and marry him."

"Hope Jack has a heat suit..." Max whispers to May.

"The king was understandably mad, yet he respected Princess Wendy's wishes, and told Jack what she wanted." Maya continued. "At first Jack was very sad--how could he survive Mt. Ember's scorching heat without being charred? But then he remembered the ruby, hurried out to the path leading to the mountain, and sang to the ruby...."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Ash sings as Jack, making the ruby in his Mega Ring glow for a few seconds.

"The Lucario came, and Jack told him everything." Maya narrates "The Lucario promised to do what he could, and soon returned with the three rocks in a heat proof container. Jack took them, ran as fast as he could to the castle, and threw them into Princess Wendy's lap. They immediately flared up, and she was nearly choked by the fire and smoke."

Laughter goes up at the comical scene. "After collecting herself, Princess Wendy said she had no further objections to becoming Jack's bride." Maya concludes. "And so it was that they were married and he received half the kingdom as a wedding present."

[And they lived happily ever after!] Tarina adds.

Brock smiles as everyone else applauds. "Yes, that's right."

Senior Moderator

Story 2: The Night of Two Moons (Ash)

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan, episode 138, story 2)

Ash gets up from his place at the table and begins "Once there was a hunter--we'll call him Hayate--who was renowned for his skill with the bow. His wife had succumbed to a horrible disease some years before, leaving behind two little girls. This made him even more aware of how much he killed, since he had two more to feed."

"Mm-hm..." Maya motions for Ash to continue.

"The years passed, and Hayate's daughters, Keiko and Mana, grew into fine young ladies." Ash continues. "Hayate's heart swelled with pride, and he yearned to catch something huge to celebrate their coming of age."

After a few moments, he goes on "One day, he set off on his grand hunt. After telling his girls goodbye, he set off across high mountains and crossed raging rivers in search of the perfect prey. Before long, he came to a mountain village, but the doors were locked, much to his chagrin. A man of the village explained that on the night of a new moon, a terrifying monster carrying two red moons would appear. Anyone that looked at the beast would be paralyzed, and then eaten."

[Oh no!] Tarina gasps.

"The mountain had once been beautiful, the man went on, but all the Pokemon had fled, and many people had followed." Ash goes on, making Tarina tear up. "He pleaded for Hayate to leave, since that night had a new moon. But Hayate said no--he would shoot down the twin moons, and then defeat the monster."

Everyone waits to hear what happens next. "Hayate made good on his promise, but his first shot was knocked away by the monster's tail." Ash continues. "It was not long before he was paralyzed and poisoned."

Gasps go up at the sobering turn of events. "Meanwhile, Arceus appeared to Keiko and Mana in a dream and told them that their father was in grave danger." Ash goes on, quieting the antsy crowd. "While he had purged the poison, their father was still paralyzed and weak from the long battle. The girls vowed that they would either save or avenge their father, no matter what."

Tarina swallows hard as Ash continues "Keiko and Mana were fine archers themselves, so after gathering their own bows and supplies, they set out for the mountain village. The village elder was stunned at their story, and when the girls wouldn't take no for an answer, he gave them a secret medicine that would make whoever took it immune to paralysis."

"Kinda like a Paralyze Heal." Misty notes from her place next to Ash, giggling at Tarina's dreamy look.

"The girls made camp in the village shrine, and asked Arceus to protect them and give them strength." Ash continues. "Then they took the anti paralysis medicine, and set out to meet their opponent."

He then reaveals what the monster is. "It turned out the twin moons were the eyes of a huge Arbok, and once the girls shot them out, the mountain shook, and a powerful storm blew up. The storm raged for a week before the Arbok finally succumbed inside the resulting lake."

Cheers go up at the Arbok's demise. "When the storm had subsided, the lake began to glow, and a million points of light--the spirits of those the Arbok had killed--flew out and became living people again." Ash goes on. "Keiko and Mana were overjoyed to see their father again, and they shared a long embrace."

He concludes "Father and daughters returned home as heroes, and they all lived happily ever after."

Senior Moderator

Story 3: Jack's Challenges (Misty)

(real tale: The Three Tasks)

"Once there lived in a far away land a mighty king." Misty begins. "He had an only daughter named Tara. When she turned eighteen, and no one had offered himself as a potential husband, the king thought it a good idea to give his daughter to anyone who could perform three miraculous feats. To spread the word, the king ordered the great tower which stood in his city, which was famed for its immense size and height, to be decked out with a rainbow of banners, so everyone within miles could see it."

"I'm sure that looked beautiful." Rosa notes.

"At first people did not know what the banners on the old tower meant, but when they asked about it, they were told that Princess Tara was of age to be married." Misty continues "Then the three sons of a peasant, the youngest of which was named Jack, decided to try their luck. They set out, and in passing through their father's garden, the eldest said to the youngest, 'Shut the garden door.'" However, Jack thought he said, 'Take the door.'."

Giggles go up as everyone pictures the comical scene. "So Jack took the door off its hinges, and carried it on his back." Misty goes on. "The two others led the way and did not concern themselves about Jack, and did not even notice that he was carrying the door on his back. When night fell, they had to look for a place to sleep, and decided after some discussion to climb a tree, so that they would be safe from the wild Pokemon. It was about then that the brothers finally noticed that Jack had brought the garden door along with him."

The kitchen explodes in laughter. "They scolded him for this, and told him he had to carry the door up into the tree, so that no trace of a human presence was there." Misty explains. "They pushed, and pushed, and pushed some more; until they got the door up there some hours later."

Once the laughter quiets, Misty continues "The brothers stretched out, and soon fell asleep. But they were awakened by the whistle of arrows, and to their horror they saw some bandits approaching the tree, and making camp underneath it. Although the brothers kept quiet, the bandits soon figured out that someone was in the tree, and nocked their bows to fire at the strangers. Jack, seeing what was going on, was so terrified that he let the door fall, and it squished all the bandits flatter than pancakes."

Tarina howls with laughter as she pictures the pancake-bandits. "The two elder brothers were stunned that Jack had saved them, and treated him much kinder after that." Misty assures the group. "The three travelers stayed in the tree all night, and waited until dawn to continue on their way. As soon as the first streak of dawn appeared, the three brothers came down and went on their way. After a long and uneventful journey, they reached the royal palace, asked to be admitted, and told the guards why they had come. The king stepped out on the balcony overlooking the castle gate, and said..."

"Two of you may go, for I have only one daughter, and she only needs one groom." Brock fills in the king's dialogue in his best "king" voice.

"None of the brothers wanted to leave the others behind, and they argued for some time, until finally the king commanded the eldest brother to stay." Misty explains. "The king then gave him the following challenge..."

"You are to come sailing to me on a golden ship, but not on the water. The ship must be able to sail through the air as easily as it does the water." Brock instructs as the king.

"When the eldest brother heard this, he trudged home alone, for the other brothers had already gone in the castle." Misty continues. The next day, the eldest brother went into the forest, and in hopes that the king would consider the challenge complete if the ship was made of wood, he cut down an oak tree and worked day and night on the ship. On the third day he was very tired and quickly fell asleep. When he woke up, an old man came to him and asked for a piece of bread. The eldest brother shooed him off. The man walked away and said 'You'll be sorry, young lad.'"

She then reveals the eldest brother's fate. "Hardly had he said this, he was gone and the tree that had almost assumed the form of a ship was in its former glory again before the astonished eldest brother. Gradually his surprise gave way to anger because his three day's work was for nothing. He went home and told of his misfortune to his parents, but they could give him no explanation as to what had happened."

She intones "The deadline passed, and the eldest brother was still at home. Two days after the agreed time had passed, messengers came, and the eldest brother reluctantly went to the royal castle. He could not explain to the king what had happened, and so was thrown in the dungeon, since he at least made some kind of effort."

The room is silent for a moment before Misty continues "When his parents heard of this they were greatly troubled, and forbade the two younger brothers to court Princess Tara. But the brothers wouldn't take no for an answer, and the middle brother went into a dense forest and selected a fine oak tree. He then began, like his brother had done, to cut the trunk into a ship. When in his weariness he fell asleep, there came a woman, who woke him up, and begged for money. The middle brother treated her harshly, and she went away, but not before singing..."

She then sings Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo..., making Brock's Mega Ring glow, much to Tarina's delight.

"In a flash of green light, the tree stood up again in its full glory." she announces to stunned murmurs. "So the middle brother fared no better, for he had not accomplished the task."

[What did Jack do?] Tintri asks before bounding off Ash's shoulder and running to Brock's place at the table, where Tarina is listening.

"He went into the forest, cut down a fine oak tree, and built a beautiful ship." Misty explains. "When it was done, a hideous old woman came and demanded a kiss. Jack did not hesitate, but hugged and kissed the old woman, not once, but several times."

"Ew"s go up at this. "Then she cast a spell..." Misty pauses to sing Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... before continuing "...over the ship, and it turned into gold, and began to fly. It carried Jack to a great mountain, and landed there. When the third day had passed and the ship was still sitting there, he sang the first magic song in a bedtime story that came to mind..."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Ash sings as Jack, making his Mega Ring glow.

"Suddenly, he heard rushing water, and discovered a river that his song had conjured." Misty goes on. "He went up to it and read the words 'Not far from me lies a flute. Take it on your ship.'"

She adds "He looked for the flute and soon found it too." as Ash retrieves a familiar silver whistle from his pocket. "Then he went into his boat and played it."

Ash plays the Zelda whistle song for effect. "Jirachi the Wish Maker appeared to him and asked what he wanted." Misty explains "Jack told him his predicament, and Jirachi told him that if Jack needed his help, all he needed to do was just whistle and he would come help him. Soon after the ship took off and carried him to a field. A hunter came and told him that he too would come if he just played his flute. Then the ship took off and carried him to the castle."

"And then?" May asks as she and Max help themselves to Berries and cheese.

"The king looked with astonishment on the boy and the ship that could fly so cleverly and admirably through the air." Misty continues. "Jack stepped out of the ship, and the king invited him to a grand feast. Then Jack asked the king for the second challenge, and the king answered..."

"Get me a jug of water the moment you stand up from your chair." Brock instructs as the king.

"Jack remembered his flute and played the song to summon Jirachi..." Misty waits as Ash plays the Zelda whistle song again." "...and the pitcher was on the table when he stood up. The third challenge was to call together all the Mareep in the world, and let the king see them. Jack played the song to summon the hunter..."

Tintri and Tarina giggle as Ash plays Jelan Mirana's motif for effect. "..and suddenly there were millions of Mareep, including all the Mareep that other kings owned." Misty continues. "The next day the wedding was to take place. But Princess Tara would not recognize Jack as her husband, and begged the king to give him some more challenges."

"Jack has performed three miraculous feats, fair and square." Brock explains as the king.

Misty smiles as she concludes "So Princess Tara became Jack's wife, and they lived long and happily for many years."