Queue PMs and maybe a Reputation System?

First of all, it'd be really neat to queue PMs for reminders...if such a code exists somewhere. xD So I'd like to send myself a reminder for a week from now, for instance. It'd be really cool if we could put PMs in a queue of sorts to be sent out on a certain time and date.

Secondly, have we discussed a reputation system in the past? I can't find a thread relating to it, but I think I remember someone saying that having a rep system might start...erm, disagreements, maybe? Because with a rep system, you have negative reps as well as positive. Which, in itself, isn't bad, but you'd probably have some people abusing the system.

I know of a forum or two that has a rep system in which you can also add comments as to why you gave a certain person the rep points that you gave, be it positive, negative, or even neutral. I mean it's not a necessary thing to have, of course, but it would be kinda cool, I suppose. Or if you guys are uncomfortable with the thought of potentially getting negative reputation points, we could do a reputation system that's similar to the Luvdisc system we've got going on for February (as in, you send the notes / rep points / whatever anonymously).

There would probably also have to be a limit on giving points out, however. I know on the forum I mentioned earlier, you can only have ONE "score" on one person's profile at one time. You can, however, edit what kind of reputation point it is (positive, negative, neutral), and change the message that you left.

That sounds confusing, so let me explain. x]

Say you want to leave Person A a reputation score saying how awesome they are. You would go to their profile, add a positive reputation point, and even add a comment if you wanted to.
    However, let's say that later on Person A turns into a total d-bag. You want to change the rep that you've given them before to be negative one that reflects how much of an *** they've been acting like lately...of course, it'd have to be professional. Forum rules would still apply to the rep system. So you couldn't say, "OMG you're such a !@#^*$%! I hate you!" as that would be directly insulting the user. However, if you posted something like "What happened to you? You used to be really awesome but now you've kinda turned into a jerk." would be...well, more acceptable, at least.

On a positive note, if later on they improve their behavior you can again edit your reputation stuff on their profile to reflect on that they've been acting a lot better.

The main problem I see with this is it disheartening people if they get a negative rep...or even if someone gives them a negative rep that is actually really stupid. I mean any unfair / unnecessary reps would need to be reported, but I dunno.

Thoughts?

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I'm not really a fan of rep systems just because they make people feel bad unnecessarily. If someone breaks forum rules then they get in trouble, but if you just have personal disagreements with someone, then it doesn't mean they deserve to have that displayed on their profile in public and have it affecting their forum rep for everyone to see. Negative rep doesn't really serve any purpose besides making people feel bad. Plus people would want to dispute negative rep and how the staff decide if it was worthy of a negative or not? I wouldn't mind a positive rep system only, I guess, which would eliminate most of the problems I listed. Let's see what everyone else thinks.

The PM scheduling/a reminder system sounds good, but I'm not sure if a mod exists for that. I haven't been able to find anything. If anyone finds one that looks suitable, let me know! :D
    GCEA

Yeah, that's pretty much why I set out a lot of potential options for a rep system. XD there's a lot of different ways to go about it! :D

And now that you mention it, I haven't been able to find anything about that, either, but I'll keep looking as well. Maybe I'm just not typing the right keywords into Google, hahah

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

I would have liked a rep system Sarah. But for that... *Negative rep Sarah ;)

5. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, definitely no reputation system. Serebii had it enabled for a while and it was a disaster with people using it to troll or otherwise reputation-bash people who didn't agree with them, such as the debate threads. Eventually it was disabled again, very likely for these exact reasons.

But yeah, like it was said before, negative rep just makes people feel rotten, and I know that's not the kind of thing people want to see here. Besides, we don't need a reputation system anyway. Let a person's actions, personalty, and contributions account for that instead.

Senior Administrator

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    First of all, it'd be really neat to queue PMs for reminders...if such a code exists somewhere. xD So I'd like to send myself a reminder for a week from now, for instance. It'd be really cool if we could put PMs in a queue of sorts to be sent out on a certain time and date.
    So... Would it be helpful to set a calendar reminder? I know Google Calendar and others will email a reminder (if you tell it to).... I know Google Inbox does that too, but that's in an invite beta.