Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Administrator

Administrator

Donations? Perks?

Dear future donators

With being able to run Pokemon Crossroads, PWN (Petalburg Woods) and Slateport (SPC) in a vertically integrated method, it allows me to offer web hosting ability to you. I've sort of poked around and asked people on and off what they want... with no clear answer.

So, I'm here to ask you: If you had your own subdomain (think palamon.slateport.com if you were Palamon;), what would you want to do with it?

Some ideas I came up with:
    * Resume (for you job seekers)
    * Portfolio (for you artists out there)
    * Blog (for you writers out there)
    * Just a website to put random stuff on [(HTML/CSS/JS) or (HTML + PHP)]

These have varying costs on my end, and I'll let you know how restricted each option might be. Please feel free to ask questions!

I intend this to be a perk for ongoing donations (at a yearly or monthly level).

@Bulbasaur; @Suicune's Fire; @PTGigi; @Pokemon Trainer Sarah;

---x-posted from slateport---

(PS. also I can teach you too! :D )

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I'm potentially interested in a portfolio sort of site. This is what I have so far, so it will be something like that: https://sciencegraphics.wordpress.com/

But I probably wouldn't want anything Pokemon related coming up in the URLs or anything. xD So I'm not sure how that would work exactly, like if I could buy a separate domain or something, would that fix it?
    GCEA

Senior Administrator

Administrator

First, that looks amazing.

Second, I can help you if you buy your own domain! C: I am fully compatible with a custom domain.

Also, I was thinking about getting a more innocuous domain that's still Pokémon related (my current choice is ssanne.com)

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Sounds cool, Ray. ssanne.com would probably be fine, but considering I am trying to make it professional, I should probably get a domain anyway. xD Do you have a particular site you buy domains from? I still haven't decided on an actual name for my site or whatever, so it might be a little while.

How much would something like that set up cost per month? Just out of interest, it shouldn't be an issue at all. xD Been thinking about doing this for a while and I figured if I could support PXR in the process, that would be great!
    GCEA

I don't think any of those would be particularly useful to me, although maybe in the future it could be for voice acting things. By the way, isn't paying to host a site for donors sort of counterproductive? Because then it's like they're paying for their own domains, or you're forking out extra for it...? Or is there something I'm missing?

Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook! Kaoru's Avatar

How much would someone have to donate to get this? Or is it for anyone who donates? because if I could donate, I'd love to have something to test my websites with :>
    Paired with the awesome and lovable 💕Trainer17💕

"Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook!"

Spoiler:
    links ★ Greninja level100@1748 ★
    warrior recordprism statsasb stats

Senior Administrator

Administrator

@Suicune's Fire there would be increasing tiers of benefits for donations... A basic website can be had for $1 a month ... While a full wordpress hosted site with a custom domain is pricier. So... No, I'm not taking a loss to do this.
    @Kaoru I haven't decided, but the first 10 donors will probably have it cheaper because I want the critical mass. Maybe $10/year or $2/month for the lowest plan of "here's a file server, and your subdomain, have fun"

I know for my Petey site I paid $1 a month which turned out to be $12 a year and that was for everything. WordPress (with my own domain name), FTP and image host (can't remember what it was called).
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

How did I not get tagged in this ;)

How can we provide those kinds of support? (Resume and Portfolio)

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Senior Administrator

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    I know for my Petey site I paid $1 a month which turned out to be $12 a year and that was for everything. WordPress (with my own domain name), FTP and image host (can't remember what it was called).
    A lot of places will do something like $2-3/month introductory with a free domain, and then they'll get expensive in year two or three. I'm not sure which host you have, but I browsed around and saw things like $3-8/month as an introductory offer for wordpress.

Wordpress hosting is really expensive on my part and I want to make that a higher cost because it's painfully annoying for me to:

1) Spin a new instance that's separate from everything else
    2) Set up a database and manage it.

and the point is not for me to undercut the competition, but to create value for those who don't need/want standard perks like "bigger avatar" or "larger signatures."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Tracker Max View Post
    How did I not get tagged in this ;)

How can we provide those kinds of support? (Resume and Portfolio)
    Honestly, I hate tagging you because I don't how to tag you specifically without getting the other Shadow tagged instead... ~__~ I just do the [at]Shadow Trainer Max and it always chooses the other Shadow... ~__~;;

But to answer your question: I provide space, you do with it as you choose (with the only limitation that you can't be causing an burden on us... So if you're a viral sensation, we'll have a talk because that'll be expensive.