Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

New event ideas!

Hi all! You've had some wonderful and interesting ideas about how WAR could be improved. But since we have decided we are most likely NOT going to be running WAR next year, we would really appreciate NEW ideas for a fun, weeks-long Summer competition next year! Let's make a true PXR tradition!

Keep in mind we are not going to be begin planning anything in earnest until next year, but we would love to hear your event ideas and suggestions on how they could work! They can involve any aspect of the forum, or all of them! Whatever you can think of that would be enjoyable!

We are also considering running smaller events over winter break and at other times of the year, so even if you only have an idea for something small, your input is very welcome!

Again, the only reason we run events is so that you guys have fun! We worked really hard to organise this year's competition, and if you didn't enjoy it, that's okay. But let's try and come up with something new and fun together so next year we can all have a good time! :D
    GCEA

2. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

I'm thinking the Olympics might be a good way to go. We could have the sections run separately from each other on their own time frame. Award people Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

To go along with this idea, we could also do this individually, without teams. This way people can participate based on their own interest.

4. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Getting rid of teams altogether does seem like it would solve a lot of problems. Or how about people competing in pairs or threes or something, to add a bit of collaboration to it? I know one of the big things people enjoy is collaborating with their friends. :)

Another idea... I think having a simple RP being the main feature would be pretty cool. And then having people do things on the side to earn special items or perks in the RP. Like submitting artwork or writing. You wouldn't need to compete against anyone then, you would just need to meet a certain quality and/or effort threshold to "pass".
    GCEA

6. This post has been liked by:

In the cardboard box in front of your house.
    Alright, hi, going to jump on this and maybe help with creating a PXR tradition.

Going to open my post by commenting on something Lord Celebi said in the WAR II Discussion thread. You, or any other PXR staffer, are welcome to ask me next year if I can be a "WAR" Leader (WAR in quotes because idk what else to call the tentative idea, sorry), but I can make zero promises on committing to the role. I'm also one of the admins on PWN, and I run the Birthday Extravaganza event there with sign ups in July and the actual event in August; the event coincides with the opening date of PWN in August, and it's similar to WAR with the teams and whatnot. That too takes up some of my time, and I don't want to say I'll commit to something when I may have to fall back.

That said, if I'm still around on PXR, I'm willing to help out with things, though I can't promise I'll be a leader or anything important. (I'll probably still be around because URPG, but I can't tell ya what'll happen in a year.)

I threw a lot of my feels in the WAR II Discussion thread, so I'm not sure if we want me to reiterate those here or not. I think a lot of them were bad (and I personally liked Nekomata's stuff on the scoring!! and just that whole post in general), but if anyone wanted me to reiterate some of those here so they're all in one place, I'd be happy to do so. For now, I'm just going to abstain from saying any of it since I don't want to repeat myself a hundred thousand times. y'all probs tired of me anyways, let's be real I'll just toss in some new stuff. ;3

I feel like teams are great for larger events like this. You guys got a lot of newer people because of WAR, and I feel like this new event could be a draw as well. The teams help them get to know people here on the forums and make friends. That plus the events would probably encourage them to stay, and then yay, more new members that stick around!

One thing I did notice with WAR though was that there was really nothing you did with your team besides the WAR RP, but even then, you could still do that with people of other teams. I never really saw much of a purpose for the teams in WAR, to be honest. I saw teams working together in the RP, but you could do that without being on the same team too. Maybe I just missed something here, but the teams just felt like gatherings for friends and a way for new people to get to know each other, but that was about it. There's nothing wrong with those things, of course, but I'm sort of piggybacking off of Sarah's idea with the collaborative stuff. Maybe have the teams and also have collaborative events? That way you get more of a team feel since you're working together on stuff too.

Also going to comment on this as well. I feel like PXR is a mostly art oriented forum with the comics and the pixel art and all that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but that's what I'm feeling from being here; I'm not super active here, so I might actually be wrong on this. Regardless of what the main focus here on PXR is, maybe make the main focus of this new event similar to the main focus on PXR? Don't scrap other events though! Still have something for everyone, but have the main focus be similar to the main focus of the forums. I feel like RP was maybe the big thing on PE2K (and again, I may be wrong with this too since I was never really on PE2K), where WAR originated, but PXR is a whole new forum with a whole new world of opportunities and loads of potential for creating a new event totally unique to PXR.

I think the last suggestion I'm going to make here is one that's been puttering around on my mind for a while now, but I've never really been able to put it into action. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but Harry's actually the owner of three forums: PXR, PWN, and SPC (Slateport City). I've always wanted to do some sort of collaborative event with the three forums. I'm not sure if everyone would be open to it, but I've wanted to try it for some time. I don't think it should replace WAR, I just think it'd be a fun little way to bring the three forums together some more since Harry owns all of the forums, but we don't really have any sort of bonding, if that makes sense.

I feel like I've had lots of thoughts, but I've forgotten them all, so we'll leave it at that for now. ;3

8. This post has been liked by:

If we remove teams, it's nothing special anymore. It's just a regular contest. It would solve most of the problems, but it no longer makes it a community event. It just makes it a bunch of contests running at the same time.

10. This post has been liked by:

Well I like the sound of designing the new thing more like the Olympics like HKim said,and I also really really like Felly's idea of team events.

As for the teams,I agree with Ghostwriter that we can't get rid of them. I wouldn't be here on PXR if the prism league never existed. That said, I have my own idea for teams. Instead of teams there should be regions. In the real Olympics, countries face against each other, so if this is a Pokemon Olympics wouldn't it make sense to have the Pokemon regions face off against each other? This would also mean that the same teams (not necessarily the same people) would be competing each year.

VPP

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    Well I like the sound of designing the new thing more like the Olympics like HKim said,and I also really really like Felly's idea of team events.

As for the teams,I agree with Ghostwriter that we can't get rid of them. I wouldn't be here on PXR if the prism league never existed. That said, I have my own idea for teams. Instead of teams there should be regions. In the real Olympics, countries face against each other, so if this is a Pokemon Olympics wouldn't it make sense to have the Pokemon regions face off against each other? This would also mean that the same teams (not necessarily the same people) would be competing each year.
    The fact that you mentioned this coincides with the fact that Pokecommunity's Get-Together (essentially a community event, like WAR) theme this year is the Olympics between pokemon regions.

There is a strong flaw though. People would choose the regions they prefer. As it is now for PC, Johto and Hoenn are the largest teams -- clearly being the more popular regions. It's still the same issue as what people brought up this War.
    Last edited by Ganyu; 07-10-2015 at 02:24 PM.

While there isn't much of a sense of team cooperation in the WAR, I'd argue that the importance of being in a team comes from the feeling of being relied on and also indirectly helping a group of people while you compete for yourself; basically what I tried to get across in my contribution to the Discussion thread. Without teams, we could probably just run competitions all the time and there'd be no difference. There's no sense of festivity that comes from hosting a gauntlet of contests at one specific time of the year, in my opinion.

While typing this and on the topic of festivity, I did think of Japanese sport festivals (as portrayed by anime because I'm a no good anime watching man), which divides the entire school into two opposing teams (semi-randomly, with no say from the individuals) and they try to earn points for their side through a bunch of events across a day or two. Individuals draft themselves into events they're comfortable with, but there are also lots of group events that require more teamwork and such. It's actually a little similar to WAR now that I think about it, and I'm certainly not saying that this is the way to go, but it is a way to go. You lose some freedom in team choice, but the team spirit and self-satisfaction (that I get from WAR) would still exist to about the same extent, and we may get a more tight competition for points.

And while I love the idea of collaborative challenges, I'm not sure how feasible it is to coordinate cooperation over the forum format with people from all over the world to produce something amazing within a week. I don't think there should be challenges aimed for anything more than trios, though pairwork would be most preferable.

Also @Felly, from what I've seen during WAR and in my time here so far the pixel art community is perhaps more skilled and a little more active than many other forums, but I don't think it's active quite enough to call it the focal point of PXR. I could totally be wrong though.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

As I mentioned to Neo earlier this week, I thought it would be fun to run smaller events in celebration of certain holidays from different parts of the world. So we could do 4th of July for America and then a holiday only celebrated in Australia, etc. Then the theme could be based around that holiday and we could rotate events. So, for example, one holiday we do creative writing, some form of art, and then an event in one of the RPG games.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Nothing is ever going to be even when it comes to this...ever. The Olympics are never "even" because you have big countries like the USA and Canada and then you have countries who have a handful of people and sometimes just one person. And it's never how big your country is it's how many medals you can win because you are really good.

I'm not quit sure if anyone has said anything like this because I know we were talking about the judges but: I think we could have a panel of judges that judge everything. (Cept for maybe things like URPG, Showdown that kind of thing) You still have a judge for each section that comes up with the topic for the week but have everyone judge.

Example: Speed is the judge for Pixel Art so she comes up with the theme for the week and can also help out as much as she wants but when it comes time to judge she judges but also so does the judge for Drawn Art, Writing, Role Play, Graphic Art, Humor, and any others I may forgot. And then do that for each section. You essentially have one expert in each section who knows what hell is suppose to happen and others who may see it from a different angle.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]