Adding to the Writer's Desk

While I understand that the Writer's Desk is not necessarily a priority, I have a suggestion based on what I have seen on various forums that I frequent. I would recommend a separate sub-category for fanfiction comment and review. If a specific fanfiction is a series, it can get a little messy between chapters and comments. It would be easier, since the writer would not be forced to create their own index. Just a suggestion.

Mm, I see where you're coming from, but personally I prefer people to comment in my story's thread. xD It's much better to create an index - hardly any effort - and it means that it gets so much easier to quote posts and keep everyone in the same thread. xD I dunno, I don't have a problem with it, and in fact I would prefer it to having a separate section. x) The other thing is, people will have to scroll through the threads to find a chapter they want if there's no index. Yeah, it'll be more ordered, but you're not going to know what page a chapter is on, especially if there are tonnes of pages and the story's really long, and the chapters are multiple posts long (like mine). Then that defeats the purpose of an index when one would be useful anyway, and it would be in place if the readers were allowed to comment in the thread... so yeah. xD I guess it's personal preference--some people can ask them to comment elsewhere, but I think most people want others to comment in the story's thread rather than in a separate one.

So yeah, not for the idea. xD

~SF.

Maybe this is because I am accustomed to lengthy reviews for work. On several forums that I frequent for writing, the reviews can be nearly twice as long as an actual chapter. Perhaps I am simply exaggerating the extent of which readers will be posting, but I prefer continuity between posts even if it is a simple one-line comment. It is not necessarily for the ease of the readers or writers, but also for the aesthetics. I would like to both receive public constructive criticism and maintain an orderly thread for literary works.

XDDDDD Oh my gosh, that post sounded so formal. I imagined it in your voice too, so it made it funnier.

I think in cases like this, the person could choose. I guess what you meant is that IF we do have a sub-forum, then it would be for people who prefer their readers to comment on a thread there, rather than the thread they post their chapters in. Perhaps you could just create a thread anyway - there's no rule against it - for people to leave reviews in instead of having to create a separate section for it. ^^ It's just that I don't think it'll have the content to get a sub-section. If there was going to be a sub-section for writing, it would contain all the non-story threads, like on Pe2k how there was the Author's Corner. So it'd be for other things too. x)

~SF.

*Blushes* Right, well, I'll do it again.

It would be satisfactory if it were the author's own prerogative. I would refuse to create another thread in the same area fellow authors share their own literary pieces, as it would clutter the Writer's Desk as well. Of course, if no one else desires an additional sub-category, I shan't take this suany further.

Oh wow. xD I laughed out loud at that.

Well still, if we had a sub-category, it would have other stuff there too. xD If we come up with ideas for other stuff, perhaps the sub-forum can spawn into being as you desire?

~SF.

Yes, I find my eloquence to be hilarious as well.

This sub-category could house tutorials and suggestions on how to write, idea submissions, discussions about writing, and numerous things. In the ever so famous words of Six Part Intervention, "[It] can be all you want [it] to be!"

I've been actually wondering about this--or at least, adding to the writer's desk. I've been wanting to see about doing a writer's group or some kind of writer's support somewhere in the board, but I'm worried about cluttering the WD with too many stickies.

But if you remember, the Author's Corner on Pe2k really didn't see a whole lot of activity even back in its hay-day--one reason why it might not be so good to add a subforum to the WD. But it did have its uses, so... IDK.

I'll see about talking to the higher-ups and getting their opinions on it. :)

Also, when it comes to reviews... Yeah, most authors I've seen would actually prefer for comments/reviews to be posted in the same thread, but I guess it's up to the author's preference. You could, if you'd like, request that long-written reviews be PM'd or something similar to that if you'd really not like to see those kinds of comments. You could also request that long reviews be placed in spoiler tags, which would cut down on a lot of space. Just some suggestions, but I'll see what we can do about adding a subforum

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

I agree with Char. ^-^ I did really like the Author's Corner though; I felt like it was more organised, even if it didn't get much activity. I'm one of those people who would prefer others to review on the thread and not in a separate one. xD The PM/spoiler tag ideas were good ones!

~SF.