Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    We both suck at raffles, so it's gonna be someone else!
    ...This is true.

@Noblejanobii Ooh, you're using a random generator. Well, in the case of luck, it shall definitely not be me. XD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

...This is true.

@Noblejanobii Ooh, you're using a random generator. Well, in the case of luck, it shall definitely not be me. XD
    Submit more quotes and the odd will be more in your favor.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I share the sentiment with many others in this thread - I didn't like Romeo and Juliet either LOL. I don't really like Shakespeare at all. I've read several of his works (most recently The Tempest), and I just don't really like his style. And I love romance, but I was largely underwhelmed by Romeo and Juliet. But Shakespeare is, of course, eloquent. And this quote is basically like the thesis of an essay - it's a really well put summary of what's gonna be talked about. I'm pretty good at writing theses myself, but this one is on another level! For that alone, I'll give it a 7/10!

|||||||||

I like all of the swords in Romeo and Juliet. 10/10!

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

Ew Romeo and Juliet. Probably my least liked Shakespeare play; it's so basic and it's literally the only **** uncultured people who have no affinity for literature (and act like they know about Shakespeare) know.

Pride and Prejudice is okay, but I like Austen's other novels like Emma.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Today's Literature Quote is:

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    “There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”
    This is a special quote because not only is it our first author quote but it's also the first user submitted! Congrats to @Fate for being selected by the RNG!

So, without further ado, let's get to my review of the quote. So, I'll start off by saying, I love Oscar Wilde. He's like the Corey of English class! But, that aside, the man was infamous in my tenth grade English class for attacking human nature itself and this quote is no exception to that trope. It's actually a pretty good attack to since it hits home in the whole selfish desires category we all have. Through my years of observing the human race, one of the things I've concluded is that people don't appreciate what they have. They whine and whine until they get what they want, and then once they have it, they desire something else so the cycle repeats. It just shows how selfish we are as a raise and I think that's important to note since not everyone has the leisure to actually perform this cycle. Either way, I think it's a very profound quote, as it's deep enough to provoke thought but simple enough to be interpreted easily, so I'm giving it an 8.5/10.
    / / / / / / / /

Here's my first submission. From my favorite poet and my favorite work of said poet.

"TRUE! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses --not destroyed --not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily --how calmly I can tell you the whole story."

-Edgar Allan Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart.

As for the quote of the day, I have to agree with Jan's assessment of it. Nothing more to say, I just agree with her on it.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AWA1997 View Post
    Here's my first submission. From my favorite poet and my favorite work of said poet.

"TRUE! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses --not destroyed --not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily --how calmly I can tell you the whole story."

-Edgar Allan Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart.

As for the quote of the day, I have to agree with Jan's assessment of it. Nothing more to say, I just agree with her on it.
    Submission added but, like I said to the others, I'd prefer it to be PMed to me. You can even do it via New Worlds if that's easier. And try not to double post from now on. I fixed it for you because I know you probably didn't mean to but take this as a warning.
    / / / / / / / /

Sorry about the double post, force of habit from New Worlds. And I was already in the thread when it occurred to me, and I thought I saw something about posts in the threat being allowed, but not necessarily the best idea, and figured one submission through here would be fine. My bad on both accounts. And thanks for fixing the post(s).

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AWA1997 View Post
    Sorry about the double post, force of habit from New Worlds. And I was already in the thread when it occurred to me, and I thought I saw something about posts in the threat being allowed, but not necessarily the best idea, and figured one submission through here would be fine. My bad on both accounts. And thanks for fixing the post(s).
    I figured that was the case so that's why I just went ahead and fixed it for you. I believe you're correct on those rules but just be more careful. This isn't a five (seven?) person community anymore so I can't be as lax about rules and stuff.
    / / / / / / / /