Senior Moderator

The Mystic Library

Here in the library of Mystic headquarters is a collection of some of the most ancient forms of wisdom we have--myth, folklore and legend from across the Pokeworld, each tale masterfully performed by master storyteller and former Gym Leader Brock of Pewter City.

To read a story, simply click its link in the contents below. Of course, feedback on the stories is always welcome!

Table of Contents:

The Grateful Talonflame
    The Litten's Servant
    Under the Leppa Tree
    Destrian and the Stolen Treasure
    The Cursed Blade
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-17-2016 at 04:20 AM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 1: The Grateful Talonflame

(real tale: The Enchanted Grouse)

"There was once an old couple who lived with their married son--we'll call him Hunter--and his wife." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He was a dutiful son but his wife was a scold. She was always finding something wrong with anyone and everyone, no matter how trivial the perceived fault was."

Giggles go up as Brock retrieves his bow and a quiver full of prop arrows. "One morning, when she saw her husband taking out his bow and arrows she said..."

“Where are you going now?” he sighs in character as Misty for the wife.

“I’m going hunting." he replies in a mimic of Ash for Hunter.

“Isn’t that just like you! You’re going off to have a good time hunting and you don’t give a thought to me who has to stay home alone!” he protests as the wife, to uproarious laughter.

“If I didn’t go hunting, we’d have nothing to cook for dinner and then you would have reason to scold.” he assures an imagined person as Hunter.

“Of course, as usual blame me!" Brock wails in feigned sadness as the wife. "Whatever happens, it’s my fault!”

The audience howls with laughter at Brock's melodramatic pose. "Hunter hurried off, hoping that by the time he returned his wife would be in a calmer mood." he explains as himself. "But he had little success in hunting that day. No matter how many arrows he shot, he somehow missed his mark."

With that, he readies a shot, then fires, a tink from offstage signalling that he hit his mark, unlike Hunter in his story.

After firing a few more shots, Brock continues "When he had only one arrow left, he saw a Talonflame standing in some brush, and close enough that there was little likelihood of missing it." He makes a grand gesture to his hidden target, where his four shots are neatly clustered around the bullseye.

He readies another shot as he narrates "He took aim, but before he could fire, the Talonflame said..."

“Don’t shoot me! Take me home alive.” he pleads in a mimic of Shauna for the Talonflame.

Brock stands down, then tells an imagined being as Hunter “I’ve got to shoot something, or else we won't have anything for dinner.”

He readies a fifth shot again. "Again he aimed his arrow and again the Talonflame said..."

“Don’t shoot me, please! Take me home alive.” he pleads as the Talonflame again.

“I’d like to spare you, but what would my wife say if I came home empty-handed?” he asks as Hunter.

He readies the shot again before pleading as the Talonflame “Don’t shoot me, please! Take me home alive.”

At this, he stands down. “I don’t care what she says! I can’t shoot something that begs for its life!" he muses as Hunter before addressing an imagined being. "Very well, Mr. Talonflame, I’ll do as you request. But don’t blame me if my wife wrings your neck.”

Chuckles fill the air as Brock carefully picks up the imagined Talonflame. "He took the Talonflame in his arms and started homewards." he narrates.

“Feed me for a year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

After setting aside the bow and quiver of arrows, Brock continues "When they reached home and Hunter’s wife saw the Talonflame, she cried..."

“Is that all you’ve got after hunting all morning! That won’t be enough for four!” he complains as the wife.

“This Talonflame isn’t to be killed. I’m going to keep it for a year and feed it.” he explains as Hunter.

“It won’t take much to feed a Talonflame.” he adds in a mimic of Flint for the father.

“What! Feed a useless bird when there isn’t enough to feed your own flesh and blood!” he gripes as the wife, to uproarious laughter.

As himself, Brock assures the audience "But Hunter stood firm, and despite her threats his wife did not dare lay a finger on the Talonflame. At the end of a year the Talonflame grew a gold feather in its tail, which it dropped in the entryway. Then it disappeared.

“Ha! A gold feather! That’s your reward for feeding that thankless Pokemon a whole year?" he smirks as the wife.

He intones as himself "But the next day the Talonflame returned."

“Feed me for another year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame

The lights come up on a chair at center stage, where Brock's guitar is waiting. "His wife raised a big to-do over this, but Hunter stood firm, and for another year he fed and petted the Talonflame." Brock continues as he settles in the chair, guitar in hand. "At the end of the second year the Talonflame grew a silver feather in its tail, which it dropped in the entryway."

“One silver feather! So that’s all you get for feeding that thankless Pokemon a whole year?" he smirks as the wife again.

He grins before singing But the Talonflame came back the very next day... making the audience explode into laughter at the reference to "The Meowth Came Back"

“Feed me for another year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame as the laughter quiets.

As himself, he continues "At the end of the third year, the Talonflame grew a crystal feather in its tail, and when it dropped that in the entryway, the wife didn't have much to say, for a crystal feather was good pay for a meal fit for royalty. For a day the Talonflame disappeared. When it returned, it said to Hunter...

“Get on my back and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

He starts a "flying" melody before continuing "Hunter did as he was told, and the Talonflame, rising high in the air, flew far away. It flew until it reached the ocean. Over the ocean it flew until Hunter could see nothing but water as far as the eye could see.

“I hope I can hold on!” he stammers as Hunter.

As himself, he continues "As he spoke, the Talonflame dropped him and he fell down, down, down...."

The children nervously giggle as Brock plays a glissando down one string to mimic Hunter falling. "However, before he touched the water, the Talonflame swooped under him and caught him."

“Now, you know how I felt when you threatened to shoot me with your bow.” he explains as the Talonflame.

“You have taught me a lesson." he stammers as Hunter

He narrates over his "flying" song "After that, the Talonflame flew onwards to no place in particular. Finally it said..."

“Look straight ahead, and tell me what you see.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

“Far, far ahead I see what looks like a gold column.” he replies as Hunter.

“Good! That is the home of my oldest sister Moltres." he explains as the Talonflame. "She will be overjoyed to see us and when she hears how you have spared my life, she will want to give you a gift. Tell her that the only thing you want is the locked box on the dresser--the key to which is lost. If she won’t give you that, accept nothing.”

As himself, he narrates over a regal melody. "Moltres gave them a hero's welcome. When she had heard their story, she offered Hunter anything he wanted from among her treasures."

“Then give me the locked box on the dresser.” he requests as Hunter.

“My locked box! Who told you about that? I’m sorry, but I cannot give you that! Take anything else but that!” he pleads in an older female voice for Moltres.

“No--that or nothing!” he retorts as Hunter.

Brock starts the "flying" melody as he continues "When Moltres could not be convinced to give away her locked box, the Talonflame had Hunter mount on his back, and off they flew. After a while, the Talonflame asked Hunter what he could see."

"Far ahead I see something that is like a silver cloud.” he replies as Hunter.

“That is the silver castle of my middle sister Zapdos.”

He narrates over the regal melody "At the silver castle, Zapdos received them with joy and when she heard who Hunter was, she wanted to show him her gratitude by giving him a gift, but she too refused him her locked box. When the Talonflame saw that Zapdos was unwilling to part from her locked box, he bade Hunter mount, and off they flew again. After a while, the Talonflame asked Hunter what he could see."

“I seem to see a crystal haze, like the sun behind a cloud on a winter's day.” he replies as Hunter.

“That is the crystal castle of my youngest sister, Articuno.” he explains as the Talonflame.

He starts a calm melody as he continues "They arrived, and Articuno embraced the Talonflame, for she loved him dearly, and had not seen him for a long time."

“Welcome, my brother! And welcome also to you, Hunter!” he smiles in a mimic of May for Articuno.

"Aw"s go up as Brock continues as himself "She offered Hunter a gift, and when he asked for her locked box without a key she gave it to him without protest."

“It is my most precious possession, but you may have it, you spared my brother’s life when you might have taken it.” he smiles as Articuno.

After starting the "flying" song again, Brock continues as himself "After they had rested, they bade Articuno farewell, and Hunter with his precious box held tightly in one hand mounted the Talonflame’s back and off they flew towards home."

“Be careful with the box, and don’t let it out of your hands until we reach someplace where you’d like to live forever.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

As himself, he narrates "They passed high mountains, rolling hills, sparkling lakes, and green valleys. The Talonflame asked Hunter if he wanted to stop in this place or that place, but Hunter always said no."

He slows down into a "home" melody. "At last they reached home and the Talonflame told Hunter that now they had to part."

He then reveals the truth about the Talonflame “By sparing my life three times, and then feeding me for three years you have broken the spell on me and I will be able to assume my true human form. Farewell, Hunter, and when you find the place where you think you would like always to live, drop the box and you will find you have a treasure that will more than reward you for your kindness to me.”

As himself, Brock continues "With that, the Talonflame disappeared and Hunter said to himself 'Where do I want to live always but right here, with my father and mother and my wife, even if she does scold me sometimes?' So after they all had dinner together, he dropped the box on the floor, making a beautiful castle with servants and riches and everything that Hunter had always wanted and never had."

He concludes "Hunter, his parents, and his wife lived there happily. Eventually, his wife got over her bad habit of scolding--for when you’re happy, what is there to complain about?"
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 2: The Litten's Servant

(real tale: The Colony of Cats)

"Long, long ago in Alola, during a time Pokemon could speak the words of humans, there lived a community of Littens in a deserted house they had taken possession of not far from a large town." Brock begins. They had everything they could possibly desire, they were well fed and had a roof over their heads, and if by any chance an unlucky Pichu was stupid enough to venture their way, they caught it, not to eat it, but for the pure pleasure of the chase."

Giggles and "aw"s fill he room as the audience pictures one of the black and red cat Pokemon chasing a Pichu. "The elders of the town told visitors how they had heard their parents speak of a time when the whole country was so overrun with Rattatas that there was not so much as a Cornn Berry to be gathered in the fields; and it might be out of gratitude to the cat Pokemon who had rid the country of these plagues that their descendants were allowed to live in peace." Brock explains. "No one knew where they got the money to pay for everything, or who paid for it. But one thing was for sure--they were rich enough to keep a servant; for though they lived very happily together, and did not fight any more than humans would have done, they were not clever enough to do the chores themselves, and preferred to have someone to cook their food. Not only were they very difficult to please about the housework, but most women quickly tired of living alone with only Littens for companions. It was for this reason no servant stayed for long; and it had become a saying in the town, when anyone found themselves reduced to their last penny: 'I will go and live with the Littens,' and so many people actually did just that."

He pauses for a moment before introducing the heroine of his tale. "My story concerns a lady named Lani. She was not happy at home, for her mother, who was a widow, was much fonder of her elder daughter--whose name is not important to us yet--so often the younger one was mistreated, and did not have enough to eat, while the elder one could have everything she desired, and if Lani dared to complain she was beaten. At last the day came when she was at her wit's end and she exclaimed to her mother and sister..."

"As you hate me so much you will be glad to be rid of me, I am going to live with the Littens!" he nearly screams in character as Serena for Lani, to some laughter.

As himself, he continues "With that, Lani ran and never stopped until she reached the door of the Littens' house. She was warmly welcomed, and she immediately set to work preparing dinner, but not without many misgivings as to the tastes of the Littens, and whether or not she would be able to satisfy them. Going about her work, she found herself frequently hindered by a constant succession of Littens who appeared one after another to inspect the new servant; she had one in front of her feet, another perched on the back of her chair while she peeled the vegetables, a third sat on the table beside her, and five or six others prowled about among the pots and pans on the shelves against the wall. The air resounded with their purring, which meant that they were pleased with their new maid, but Lani had not yet learned to understand their language, and often she did not know what they wanted her to do. However, as she was a kind-hearted girl, she set to work to pick up the little ones that tumbled about on the floor, she resolved many a conflict, and eventually befriended the chief Litten, the biggest and wisest of them all."

"Aw"s go up as the crowd pictures the heartwarming scene. "Lani's kindness made a favorable impression on the Littens, and it was even better after a while, when she had had time to grow accustomed to their ways. Never had the house been kept so clean, the meat so well served, nor the sick ones so well cared for." Brock explains. After a time they had a visit from an old Litten, whom they called their father, who lived by himself in a barn at the top of the hill, and came down from time to time to inspect the little colony. He too was smitten with Lani, and asked...

"Are you well served by this two-leg?" he asks in a mimic of Meowth for the Litten.

"Oh, yes, Popoki-dono, we have never had so good a servant!" he replies in a female version of Meowth for the other Littens.

He explains as himself "At each of his visits the answer was always the same; but after a time Popoki, who was very observant, noticed that Lani looked sadder and sadder."

"What is the matter, my child? Has anyone been unkind to you?" he asks as Popoki.

"Oh, no! They are all very good to me; but I long for news from home, and I long to see my mother and my sister." he replies as Lani.

"You may go home, and you will always be welcome here." he assures an imagined person as Popoki. "But first you must be rewarded for all your kindness to my children. Follow me down into the inner cellar, where you have never yet been, for I always keep it locked and carry the key with me."

As himself, Brock narrates "Lani looked around her in astonishment as they went down into the great vaulted cellar underneath the kitchen. Before her stood two big earthenware water jars, one of which contained oil, the other a liquid shining like gold.

"In which of these jars shall I dip you?" he asks as Popoki.

"In the oil jar." he stammers as Lani.

"No, no; you have deserved something better than that." he smiles as Popoki.

He smiles as he continues as himself "Lani swallowed hard, closed her eyes, and took the plunge into the liquid gold. When Lani came out of the jar she shone from head to toe like Ho'oh in all her golden glory. Her long black hair kept its natural color, but her skin had gained a golden sheen."

"Wow"s fill the air as the crowd imagines what Lani may have looked like. "Go home, and see your mother and sisters; but take care if you hear the Combusken to turn towards it; if the Ponyta whinnies, you must look the other way." Brock cautions as Popoki, quieting the whispers.

As himself, he continues "Lani, having gratefully kissed Popoki's head, set off for home; but just as she got near her mother's house a Combusken cried..."

A sound effect of a Combuusken's cry plays for effect. "...and quickly she turned towards it. Brock continues. "A beautiful silver moon appeared on her forehead, crowning her glossy black hair. At the same time a Ponyta whinnied, but Lani took care not to look over the fence into the field where the Ponyta was. Her mother and sister, who were in front of their house, gasped in astonishment when they saw her, and their cries became still louder when Lani, taking her handkerchief from her pocket, took out a handful of gold. For some days the mother and her two daughters lived very happily together, for Lani had given them everything she had brought with her save for golden clothing, for that would not come off, in spite of all the efforts of her sister, who was jealous of her good fortune. The silver moon also could not be removed from her forehead. But all the gold pieces she took from her pockets somehow found their way to her mother and sister."

He smiles. "Did I mention that the elder sister, whose name was Pouli, was jealous?"

In a mimic of Jessie for Pouli. he sneers "I will go now and see what I can get out of the kitties. I would like some of the Litten's gold for myself."

As himself, Brock goes on "The Littens had not yet taken another servant, for they knew they could never get one to replace Lani, whose loss they were still mourning. When they heard that Pouli was her sister, they all ran to meet her. 'She is not the least like her,' the young Littens whispered among themselves. 'It is not what is on the outside, but on the inside that counts.' their parents cautioned."

He sighs--he least favorite part is coming up. "But this was one of the few times you could judge the book by its cover--Pouli was not at all like Lani. Even the oldest of the Littens soon acknowledged that. The very first day she slammed the kitchen door in the faces of the Littens who enjoyed watching Lani at her work, and a young and mischievous Litten who jumped in by the open kitchen window and landed on the table got such a whack with the rolling pin, you could've heard him yowl across the entire Alola region!"

The crowd roars with laughter at this, but Brock isn't done yet. "With every day that passed the household became more and more aware of its misfortune. The work was as badly done as the servant was surly and disagreeable; in the corners of the rooms there were heaps of dust; Spinarak webs hung from the ceilings and in front of the windowpanes; the beds were hardly ever made, and the feather beds, so beloved by the older Littens, had never once been shaken since Lani left the house. When Popoki came, he found the whole colony in an uproar.

"My brother has one paw so badly swollen that it looks as if it were broken." he complains as one of the Littens. "Pouli kicked him."

"My father has an abscess in his back where a wooden chair was flung at him; and my sister's three babies have died of hunger beside their mother, because Pouli forgot them in their basket up in the attic. There is no putting up with the creature – please send her away, Popoki-dono! Lani herself would not be angry with us; she must know very well what her sister is like." he pleads as a female Litten,

"Come here," Brock instructs an imagined person, his "Popoki" voice gaining a note of his "somebody's in trouble" voice.

He interjects as himself "He took her down into the cellar and showed her the same jars he had shown Lani."

"In which of these shall I dip you?" he asks as the angry Popoki.

"In the liquid gold," he scoffs as Pouli.

"You have not deserved it!" he yells as Popoki, making some people jump.

As himself, he describes Pouli's punishment. "Pouli was so startled at Popoki's voice, she fell into the jar of oil, where she was nearly suffocated. When she came to the surface screaming and struggling, the vengeful Litten grabbed her again and rolled her in the ashes on the floor; When she emerged all dirty, blinded, and disgusting to behold, he threw her from the door.

"Begone, and when you meet a Ponyta be careful to turn your head towards it." he grumbles as Popoki.

Laughter goes up at this, but Brock has more pain in store for Pouli. "Stumbling and raging, Pouli set off for home, thinking herself fortunate to find a stick by the wayside with which to support herself. She was within sight of her mother's house when she heard a Ponyta whinny from a nearby field. She turned her head towards it, and at the same time put her hand up to her cheeks, and they inflated like two gray balloons. She ran home to her mother as fast as she could go, yelling with rage and despair; and it took Lani two hours to get rid of the ashes that Popoki had dirtied her with. As for her swollen cheeks, it was impossible to get rid of them; they remained swollen no matter what medicine they tried."

The audience can hardly contain itself laughing at how ridiculous Pouli would look, if she were real. "Their mother was furious. She first beat Lani with the broom, then took her to the well and lowered her into it, leaving her at the bottom crying for help." Brock intones.

Gasps go up at this, but Brock is quick to introduce Lani's rescuer to the tale. "Before all this happened, however, the chief of the island's son--we'll call him Palaina--passed that way, and saw Lani sewing on the lanai. It goes without saying he fell madly in love with her."

"Aw"s fill the air as Brock goes on After coming back a few times, he dared to approach the lanai, and whispered..."

"Lovely maiden, will you be my bride?" he nearly whispers in a mimic of Ash for Prince Palaina.

"I will." he relies as Lani.

As himself, he went on "The next morning, when Prince Palaina arrived to claim his bride, he found her wrapped in a large white veil. The mother hoped to make the king's son marry Pouli in place of her sister, and had done her best to hide Pouli's swollen cheeks under the veil. Prince Palaina was young and a little timid, so he made no objections, and invited Pouli in the carriage beside him. Their way led past the Littens' house, and they were all at the window, for word had gotten out that Prince Palaina was going to marry the most beautiful lady in the world, on whose forehead shone a silver moon, and they knew that this could only be their beloved Lani."

He grins "As the carriage passed in front of the old house, a song burst forth from inside, which went something like this..."

He then sings to no tune in particular Nya, nya, nya!
    Milord, look quick behind you!
    In the well is fair Lani,
    And you've got ugly Pouli!

He interjects as himself "When he heard this the coachman, who understood the Littens' language better than Prince Palaina, stopped the Ponytas and attempted to figure out what the Littens were saying. The song burst forth louder than ever..."

He then sings again Nya, nya, nya!
    Milord, look quick behind you!
    In the well is fair Lani,
    And you've got ugly Pouli!

Some light applause goes up at the song "Prince Palaina threw back the veil, and discovered the puffed-up, swollen face of Pouli, with the massive swollen cheeks! He ordered the Ponytas turned around, and he drove Pouli, quivering with rage, to the old woman who had sought to deceive him. With his hand on the hilt of his sword he demanded Lani in a voice so angry that the mother hurried to the well to draw her prisoner out."

Relieved applause goes up as Brock concludes "Lani's clothing and her silver moon shone so brilliantly that when Prince Palaina led her home to his father the chief, the whole ceremonial house was lit up in millions of sparkling lights. The next day Lani and Prince Palaina were married, and lived happy ever after, but it is said all the Littens, including their chief, Popoki, were at the wedding too."

Senior Moderator

Tale 3: Under the Leppa Tree

(real tale: The Harper in Fairyland)

"There was once a minstrel named Tristan who ruled over an entire land of minstrels--which meant he could play the harp like no one else." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "When he played, birds stopped singing, just to listen."

"Wow"s fill the air as Brock shows the crowd his own harp. "It was a small harp, probably not much bigger than mine, but it was one he could tuck under his arm, on his back or in a bag, and take with him wherever he wanted.

After quickly putting on his harp's fingerpicks, he continues "On afternoons when the weather was nice, he and his queen, a lady named Fiona, would go into the palace garden. They would spread out a blanket to sit upon, lean against a tree and eat a picnic lunch. Then he would play his harp and she— and the birds —would listen."

With that, he plays "The Fairy's Waltz" for effect, as if he is Tristan serenading Fiona in the garden. "On one such day they sat down beneath a Leppa Berry tree and leaned as usual against the trunk. Its blossoms were open, with the sweet smell pouring out." Brock continues as the last note echoes into the auditorium. "In fact, it was not long before Fiona fell asleep. So Tristan called two servants to come and guard her."

"Protect her well." he whispers in a mimic of Flint for Tristan.

As himself he continues "Once sure his queen was safe, Tristan then went back to the palace to hold court, and other things that all kings--even a king of a land of minstrels--must do. "The servants stood under the Leppa Berry tree, one on each side of Fiona, when suddenly, and at the same time, they sneezed. Their eyes closed for just an instant — as it often happens when you sneeze — and when they opened their eyes, she was gone. Just like that...." Brock snaps on the word "that" to emphasize his point. "...she was gone. The servants looked behind the trees, the bushes, the flowers, inside the palace and out, but she was nowhere to be found."

He sighs, as if he is one of the servants. "There was no way out of it, they had to tell the king."

“What do you mean, gone?” he gasps as Tristan. “How could that be? Tell me what happened!”

As himself, he narrates "The servants told him about the sneeze and the blink. As he listened to them finish the story, Sir Tristan was already taking off his crown."

“I know what’s happened--it’s the Fair Folk." he announces as Tristan. "They have taken my beloved Fiona. When they see something they want, they make you sneeze, and in that blink, the Fair Folk take what they want. My beautiful Fiona has been taken by the Fair Folk. Well, I don’t want to sit on the throne without her beside me.”

He interjects as himself "As he took off his royal shoes, he called for the Lord High Chamberlain."

“I’m going away to find the Lady Fiona." he instructs an imagined person as Tristan. "I want you to look after the country until I return. And I won’t return, until she is with me”.

As himself, he continues "He took off his royal finery, and put on the colorful clothes of a traveling minstrel. He took no food or weapons. All he took was his harp as he walked away from that place."

After playing a "traveling" song to simulate the passage of time, he goes on "For days, weeks, months, he walked and he looked. He ate only the nuts and berries he could find. He washed in the streams, he slept on the ground. He lived the way an ordinary traveling minstrel would. But every night, before going to sleep, he’d lean against a tree and play his harp. The wild Pokemon would come to listen, furred, finned, and feathered alike. They were his only companions in all that time."

He plays "The Prayer to the Sea" for effect before continuing "One morning, as he was still waking up, he heard, then saw, 50 Rapidashes walking by. Sitting on each Rapidash, was a beautiful lady. He knew by the way they sat, so still, that they were the ladies of the Fair Folk. In the midst of them, was his own lady, Fiona. He moved to wave, so she would see him. But he forgot how he looked. In all that time, no one had cut his hair, nor trimmed his beard. His clothes were torn from the briars. He did not look like the king that he was, and so Fiona didn't recognize him. So he picked up his harp and began to play. She knew the music, and knew it was him, but a spell was on her and she could not even wave nor even smile."

He then plays "Come Give Me Your Hand" for effect. "As the Rapidashes moved on, he followed after them, hiding from bush to tree. They came to a mountain, and he thought they would go one way or the other. But no, a tunnel opened into the mountain, and the Rapidashes moved on into that tunnel. It was so dark, nothing could be seen — not even a hand before the face. Tristan followed the sound of Rapidash hooves on the stone floor, and ran his hands along the cool, damp stone walls of the tunnel. When he came out of the darkness, he was in the land of the Fair Folk."

Excited whispers fill the room as the children speculate what fairyland looks like. "As beautiful as ever it is imagined to be, that’s how beautiful it was to Tristan." Brock assures the children as parents rush to quiet the whispers. "There, across a meadow, he saw the castle of King Oberon and Queen Titania--the rulers of the Fair Folk. Around the castle was a garden, and sitting on the ground, leaning against a Leppa Berry tree was his beloved Fiona, sleeping, just the way she was when she’d been taken. He tried to speak to her, to touch her, but the spell was still on her. So he went right into the castle, marched right up to King Oberon and Queen Titania, and without even being asked, began to play his harp."

He plays "The Beautifly" for effect before continuing "His music was so beautiful, that King Oberon and Queen Titania stopped what they were doing to listen. From all over the land, Fair Folk came to listen. Tristan played happy music, for he had found his lady. He also played sad music, for he had no idea how he would get her from there. When he stopped, all the Fair Folk were silent for a moment. Then as if they were one entity, they took in a deep breath, and let out a sigh of satisfaction."

The room is silent for a moment, then Brock continues "Queen Titania leaned toward the king of mortals and said..."

In a mimic of Clair for Queen Titania, he smiles “Sir, we have never heard anything so lovely. We hear our music which is fine itself, and yours is even more grand.”

“We want to give you a reward for playing that music." he adds in a younger version of himself for King Oberon. "Just ask for what you want, and it is yours--we promise”.

“I know what I want." he replies as Tristan. "There is a beautiful lady sleeping under a Leppa tree outside your castle. I’d like her to come away with me.”

As himself, he narrates "Although the rulers of the Fair Folk were reluctant to do it, his wish was granted. He went out of the castle, right to the garden, right to the Leppa Berry tree. The spell was gone now, and he could touch her on the shoulder. She opened her eyes and took his hand as she stood. Together they walked across the meadow, away from the Land of the Fair Folk. In the tunnel, they listened to their shoes on the stone floor and felt with their hands, the cool, damp walls, ’til, there they were, back in their own land again. To their own castle they went – walking and talking – telling each other of their adventures in all that time. There in the garden, their Leppa Berry tree was still standing. Its branches were so full, the Berries nearly touched the ground. Even so, they tiptoed past it, being careful not to sneeze."

He smiles at the enthralled looks on his audience's faces. "As luck would have it, the Lord High Chamberlain was standing outside the castle. He welcomed them both, and Sir Tristan went into his room. He washed, the barber came to trim his hair and shape his beard. He put on the royal clothes that made him look like the king that he truly was.

He concludes "From that day on, Sir Tristan and Fiona ruled wisely and carefully, together. But never again did either of them sleep under a Leppa Berry tree."

The crowd laughs and applauds as Brock sets the harp aside and takes a bow....

Senior Moderator

Tale 4: Destrian and the Stolen Treasure

(real tale: The Boy and the Robber's Magical Booty)

"There was once a king who wasted his money on wine, women, and games of chance." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Needless to say, his wife and daughters were troubled. Before long, all his money was gone. But he knew that he would have to get more somewhere, for he wished to continue in his evil ways."

Angry murmurs race through the auditorium at this. "One day he met a man in the fields." Brock continues as the chatter quiets. "The man told the king that he had heard of his beautiful daughters, and asked for the eldest, Princess Orla, as his bride. The king readily agreed, in exchange for a thousand pieces of gold. And so the king's roguish ways continued--he spent his money on worthless friends, fancy clothes, and more games of chance."

He then intones "It was not long before the money was gone again. One day in the fields he met another man, who requested his middle daughter, Princess Ariana, gave her to him in exchange for two thousand gold pieces."

The angry murmurs intensify as Brock continues "Before long, that was gone too, and he looked for more. He met a third man in the fields, and he sold him his youngest daughter, Princess Christina for three thousand gold pieces.

He assures the audience "Like you guys, the people were outraged that the three princesses were sold to strangers. No one knew where they had gone or what had become of them. Their mother often cried over them. Only her son, whose name was Destrian, was left with her."

The anger turns to sadness as Brock continues "The king soon got his just desserts of his wicked life, but he had not used up all the money he had received for Princess Christina, and left some of it behind. When Destrian grew up, he started school. His mother had told him nothing of his three lost sisters. But his playmates in school told him, for they had heard their parents talk about them. When he asked his mother about it she would not tell him at first; but finally she told him everything, and she cried because she did not know where her daughters had gone."

A smile forms on his face, as if relieved he has reached an adventurous part. "So Destrian decided to go in search of his sisters. His mother said goodbye to him and wished him good luck. Destrian traveled a long way, until he passed through a lonely forest. As he walked along the forest path, he discovered three bandits sitting on a patch of grass under the trees fighting about something."

"What seems to be the problem?" he asks in a mimic of Ash for Destrian.

"We have here a clock, a sword, and a pair of shoes which have magical power." he explains in a mimic of Gary for one of the bandits. "The coat can make its wearer invisible; the shoes can make the wearer run faster than the wind; and the sword can overcome all enemies. We cannot agree on how to divide the loot. Please be the judge in our dispute and decide for us."

"I will be happy to decide the question, but first let me think about it." he replies as Destrian.

As himself, he continues "So the bandits went to work fixing dinner. One gathered wood for a fire; another went to a stream for water; and the third looked after the food. When their backs were all turned, he put on the coat and shoes and took the sword. In moments he was invisible, and the bandits had no idea they'd been had."

Giggles fill the room as the crowd pictures the bandits' reaction. "Destrian raced down the road, and before long he stood before a very large house." Brock continues. "He went in and asked to see the lady of the house. When she came to him, she did not know who he was, until he called her 'Orla, my sister.' Once she heard her name, she immediately knew who he was, and was very happy to see him. She told him that her husband was a great wizard of the sea who could do wonderful deeds. When her husband returned, he was pleased to see his brother-in-law, and they all had a wonderful time for several days."

"Aw"s go up as Brock continues "Before Destrian left the next morning to seek his middle sister, his brother-in-law gave him a glowing sapphire, and said..."

He shows the audience a glowing prop sapphire. "This has very wonderful power." he explains in a mimic of Flint for the wizard. "If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Rou iitsa ron selga vichii' and it will bring you aid from the sea."

Excited chatter goes up at Brock continues "Before long, Destrian found himself at the home of his second sister, Ariana. Like her elder sister, she did not recognize him at first, until he called her by name. She told him that her husband was a great wizard of the land. Soon her husband came home and greeted him kindly, and they had a happy time together for many days."

More excited chatter fills the air as Brock continues "Before he left, his second brother-in-law gave him a glowing ruby, and said..."

He shows the crowd a prop ruby. "This has great power. If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul' and it will bring you help from the red earth." he explains in character as wizard.

As himself, he continues "Then Destrian himself at the home of his youngest sister, Christina. She too did not recognize him at first; but when he called her by name, she knew that he was her brother, and he found that her husband was a great wizard of the sky. He was welcomed by the sky wizard, and Destrian stayed with them a long time."

Once back in place at center stage he continues, "The years passed, and one day, Destrian decided to find himself a bride. Christina told him that in a land far away lived a very rich king who had two beautiful daughters named Alma and Perla. While both of them were very beautiful and pure of heart, Destrian decided he liked Perla better, and resolved to win her hand. Before he left, his third brother-in-law gave him a glowing emerald, and said..."

He shows the crowd a prop emerald. "This has wonderful power. If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Karuto, iichiida shou...' and it will bring you help from the sky." he instructs in his "wizard" voice."

As himself,he continues "Destrian thanked his third brother-in-law, and soon himself at the castle of the rich king. Before going to the castle, he went to a house on the outskirts of the village where two women lived. They welcomed him kindly, and Destrian told them he had come from afar to seek the king's younger daughter."

"The king's elder daughter, Princess Alma, is to be wed tomorrow, but she will not live long with her husband." he sighs in a mimic of Lola.

"Why not?" he asks as Destrian.

"Have you not heard of the Giant of the Sea, Leviathan?" he gasps as the woman.

"No, I have not." he sighs as Destrian.

He narrates as himself "They took him to the window, and pointed to a high cliff far across the sea. The waves were crashing at its base, and the spray dashed high on its side. But he could see an entrance in the face of the cliff."

"In that cave lives the water dragon Leviathan, the Giant of the Sea." he explains as the woman. "As soon as a girl is married in this land, he carries her off to the cave and she is never heard from again. He cannot be killed, for he keeps his heart hidden where no one can find it. He is the terror of all the land."

He intones as himself "Destrian said nothing, but he vowed to slay Leviathan."

Intrigued murmurs go up as Brock continues "Destrian went on to the castle to see the wedding of Princess Alma. The wedding was a grand affair, and there was much rejoicing, for the people did not think that the sea dragon would carry off Princess Alma. But during the wedding feast, Princess Alma vanished without a trace. The people knew that Leviathan had taken her, and there was great sadness."

Sniffles waft through the auditorium as some of the children worry about a similar fate for Princess Perla. "Destrian went to the king and told him that he wanted to marry his younger daughter. Princess Perla."

"What good will it do you to marry her? You know she will be carried off by the Giant of the Sea." he sighs in his "king" voice.

"But I can kill the dragon." he explains as Destrian.

"No one can do that," he protests as the king.

He continues as himself "Destrian told the king of his power, and the king consented to the marriage. The next day the wedding feast was held. There was not much happiness this time, for the people knew that the king's only remaining child would soon be stolen away by the Giant of the Sea. Sure enough, at the feast, the bride disappeared without a trace; and everyone within miles knew she was taken to the dragon's cave. There was much sadness among the people, but Destrian said..."

"Tomorrow I will go and bring her back!" he announces as Destrian.

Cheers go up at this. "The next day Destrian put on his magical coat and shoes, took his sword, and went to the sea dragon's cave." Brock continues, walking around the stage all the while. "The hole in the cliff was closed up, and he could not enter, but he cut a hole in the rock with his sword and got in that way."

"The lights gain a blue tinge, as if Brock is underwater. "He found himself in a very large room. Many women sat in a circle, all of them crying, but all very beautiful. In the center of the circle sat his own bride, Princess Perla. At the back of the cave sat Leviathan, the terrible sea dragon known as the Giant of the Sea. They could not see Destrian because of his magical coat. suddenly, Leviathan left the cave--as if he knew a wedding was taking place--and disappeared. Destrian then made his presence known to his wife. He told her to ask the dragon when he returned where his heart was hidden. He told her not to fear, for he would rescue her. He had hardly said these few words when Leviathan returned, bringing a bride with him. Then Princess Perla said to Leviathan..."

"Where do you keep your heart?" he asks in a mimic of Dawn for Princess Perla.

"No one has ever asked me that before, and since you are the first to ask me, I will tell you." he replies in an oddly gentle and deep voice for Leviathan. "I keep it in a box far out in the sea. It is in an iron box. There are seven boxes, one inside the other. It is in the innermost box."

"Where do you keep the keys?" he asks as Princess Perla.

"They are hidden beside the box." he replies as Leviathan.

As himself, he continues "When Destrian heard this, he left the cave and sat on the shore. He took out his sapphire..." He shows the audience the prop sapphire from earlier. "...and sang to it..."

He then sings Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... as Destrian, making the sapphire glow in response to his voice. "The sapphire glowed, and a huge Wailord swam to him and asked what he wanted."

"Bring me the iron box and the keys that lie at the bottom of the ocean." he requests as Destrian.

As himself, he continues "So the Wailord went off, and soon returned with the box and the keys. But the keys were old and rusty, and Destrian could not open the lock. Then he took out his ruby...." He next shows the audience the prop ruby. "and sang to it..."

He pauses to sing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... as Destrian, making the ruby glow. "An Ampharos came running to him and asked what he wanted."

"Break open this box and each box you find inside." he requests as Destrian.

As himself,he continues "So the Ampharos Headbutted the outer box until he broke it, and Heabutted each one until he broke them all. When he broke the last one, Leviathan's heart flew out and escaped into the air."

Gasps go up at this, but Brock shows the audience the prop emerald. "Then Destrian took out his emerald, and sang to it..."

He then sings Karuto, iichiida shou... as Destrian, making the emerald glow. "A great Talonflame came flying up to him, and asked what he wanted."

"Bring me Leviathan's heart; it has just escaped from the box and is flying in the air." he explains as Destrian.

As himself, he continues "The Talonflame flew away, and soon came back with Leviathan's heart—and Destrian cut it in two with his magical sword. Then he went to the cave, still invisible. Leviathan was now vulnerable, for his heart had been found and killed. Destrian easily killed him with his sword, then removed his magical coat and showed himself to the girls who sat in the cave. He brought them all back to the palace and their husbands came and claimed them. The king gave Destrian a large house close to his castle, and there Destrian and his wife Princess Perla lived happily. Destrian also sent for his mother, and brought her to live with him and his wife."

He concludes "The years passed, and when the king died, he left all his money and possessions to Destrian. Destrian ascended to the throne, and was king of all the land. He lived to be very old, and he did many wonderful deeds with the sword, the shoes, and the cloak which he had taken from the bandits in the forest."

Then something occurs to him. "But that is another story for another day!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 5: The Cursed Blade

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 175, story 1)

"Once upon a time, in a far away land, there was a small village named Kotan." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "It was a happy place--the people laughed and sang as they plowed their fields, and the nearby river echoed with the calls of the fishermen. The chief elder of Kotan was renowned as a fine archer and hunter, and was often spotted leading hunting parties into the nearby forest."

The lights dim a little to mimic nighttime. "One night, as the elder and his family were blessing the food they had gathered from that day's journey into the forest, some old blankets that hung in the window suddenly began to glow a strange blue color." Brock intones from his spotlight. "The chief elder remembered an old story his father had told him when he was young--long ago, Kotan was plagued by bandits, and the people often went hungry because the bandits took all the food. One night, a mysterious sword appeared in the starry sky, and cut down all the bandits. The people believed the sword was a holy blade from heaven, but imagine their sorrow when the sword also killed and wounded many of their own as well. No matter how many times they tried to get the sword away from Kotan, it would always return to kill and wound more."

"Fearful murmurs race through the crowd at this. "Finally, the seven elders of the village cast a spell of sealing on the sword, wrapped it in blankets, and hung it in the window of the chief elder's house, where they hoped it would remain for all time." Brock explains. "As the chief elder looked on at the glowing blankets in awe, the house was lit up in a brilliant blue, but when the light faded, the chief elder noticed that the cursed sword had left its scabbard. Sure enough, the next morning, several villagers were badly wounded, and those that were spared pleaded with the elders to do something. As his fellow elders debated what to do about the cursed sword, the chief elder vowed he too would do whatever he could to protect his people from the cursed blade."

"So what did he do?" Yuki asks as she and some other players listen from backstage.

"First he tried leaving it in the forest, imploring Celebi and Shaymin to watch over it." Brock explains, acknowledging his co-stars' presence with a nod. "But when he arrived back home, it was hanging in the window again. Then he tried burying it deep within the ground, and still the sword returned. Next, he tried throwing in the river, in hopes it would arrive in the ocean, and Manaphy would seal its dark powers. But even that didn't work."

The audience waits to see what, if anything, can stop the cursed blade. "Finally, the chief elder called together the other elders of the village, and they traveled to a local shrine, where they asked Arceus for some way--any way at all--to get rid of the cursed sword." Brock continues. "But even then, the cursed sword's reign of terror continued."

A hopeful grin forms on his face to assure the jittery crowd all is not lost. "The elders prayed for seven days and seven nights in all, and on the seventh night, Arceus appeared to the chief elder in a dream, commanding him to drop the sword from a rock into a deep pool many miles away, casting a spell of sealing as it sank."

The lights brighten a little to mimic morning. "The next morning, the chief elder told his fellow elders about his dream, and explained he was going to find the deep pool and the rock Arceus had told him about." Brock explains as he walks around the stage, as if he is the elder. "However, Arceus did not give the exact location of the deep pool, and it wasn't long before the chief elder got horribly lost."

Laughter fills the air as the lights dim to mimic nighttime again. "Finally, just as the sun began to set, he discovered the deep pool nestled in a forest, with the rock overlooking it, just as Arceus had said." Brock explains. "He climbed the rock, and started the spell of sealing..."

With that, he sings Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...

Yuki grins, and silently urges Brock to continue the familiar melody, but Brock has other ideas. "But this was as far as he got when the scabbard started to glow--the cursed sword was awakening!"

Gasps go up at the turn of events "The chief elder panicked at first, but then a Buizel appeared, saying he would awaken the Dragonair that watched over the pool, and she would help him destroy the sword." Brock explains, quieting the fearful chatter. "The Buizel dove beneath the water, and after a few tense moments, the waters began to churn, and the great Dragonair surfaced. The chief elder then heaved the glowing scabbard into the water, casting the spell of sealing as it fell..."

He then sings the complete tune. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

When the last note dies, Brock announces "The Dragonair of the pool fired a Hyper Beam at the glowing scabbard, destroying the sword for good."

The crowd explodes into cheers as Brock concludes "The chief elder returned to Kotan a hero the next morning, and the tale of his adventure is still told among the residents of Kotan today."

The cheers intensify as Brock takes a bow....