Movie name:Ready Player One

Rating:PG (Some Language may offend)

Genre:Sci Fi

Summary: In the year 2045, reality has become a bummer. Because of various things, most of the population choose to spend their time in a simulation known as the Oasis, created by a man named James Halliday. The film follows Wade Watts, as he tries to find the three keys to unlock the Easter Egg that would put him in charge of the Oasis.

Pros: Any Scene with James Halliday in it. A surprising amount of Battletoads

Cons: Well, coming right out the gate, there was a lot I didn't like about this movie. Most of it comes down to one simple idea though. The world of Oasis is something that is believable, BUT they fail in the very fundamental aspects of it being a video game. When you get right down to it, the Oasis is a broken game, with things that can make some players gods, and others total weaklings. The rules are inconsistent, for example, we are told there is an item that allows you to transform into any giant robot for a set amount of time. During one sequence a character uses a Gundam to do so, and we see the timer run out. But at the same time there are two other characters using giant robot character, The Iron Giant and Mechagodzilla. Why is it that these two characters can use what is decidedly a giant robot for as long as they wish. Another thing that makes the Oasis just seem like a broken mess is the fact that there seems to be no rules as to where you can and can't attack people. There is a scene at a club (in the game) where the main characters are ambushed and actively shot at. Wouldn't a spot like this have a no weapons limitation? A huge deal is made over how losing your avatar can be devastating, how you lose EVERYTHING you built up, but anyone would mosey in with a weapon and attack, just like that. And now just to talk about a bit towards the end, I need to spoiler tag a bit.

Spoiler:
So there's this item that was set up, it destroys every avatar in the area, including the one that used it. So of course, the main villain uses it as part of his dastardly plan, and it seems as though the world is wiped out. BUT WAIT! Our main character has an EXTRA LIFE something that was NEVER, NOT ONCE brought up in the film. He just happened to get it from a character early on without realizing it was a 1-up. Now my problem doesn't rely on the fact that he used an Extra Life, its that it was never shown to exist in the world. A simple expository scene, where they mention the magical "extra life" that no one has ever found before. But they didn't. That part really grinds my gears.

Now for just some last little things. First, there is some clunky dialogue here. It feels really awkward in places, especially in lines like;

Spoiler:
"You killed my mother's sister." - A person who apparently doesn't know the word aunt.

The movie is heavy with exposition that feels equally as clunky. Wade mentions at the start of the film his parents died and he now lives with his aunt. Then in the first scene with his aunt he says it again, for some reason? Then when he reveals is feelings for Art3mis AKA Samantha our love intrest and secondary main character, she dumps her whole backstory on him and how she's leading a resistance. Rather than dumping all of it at once, she could have mentioned she was the leader of this group, and then explain later why shes so passionate about it, and he reasoning for it. When its all dumped on us at once, it feels like the writers just needed to get it out of the way so they could keep the story going. Another thing with Samantha is a trope is really dislike. The whole "You wouldn't think I'm beautiful" even though the character is absolutely stunning, but she has a birthmark over her eye that can barely be scene in some shots.

There's also the whole gimmick of the film. Seeing all these pop culture icons together like this is really fascinating. But heres the thing, they really do nothing with it. There are references but none of them feel substantial. I think they could have had these characters, and do cool things with them, that doesn't feel like pandering or fan-service. So overall, I have a lot of problem with this movie, mainly because they had a interesting concept, that they didn't know how to properly use. So just wait until some Black Mirror episode comes out about this.

Favourite part:

Spoiler:
The final scene with James Halliday talking to Wade is a legitimately touching moment that feels real. Its something that gamers can relate to, and even learn a little bit about. I'd like a whole film about Halliday honestly, he was the only character that felt like a genuine person, and not your standard 'Young Adult Novel fill in the blank'

Rating out of 10: 4.7