Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 81a: The Heartbreak of Brock (part 1)

"I'm still a little shocked you managed to evolve Hitomi with the power of the Swanna Song." Misty smiled as the group made their way down the streets of a town some days later.

"It goes back to what I've told you before about the Swanna Song--it was mainly used to beseech Arceus directly in ancient times." Brock explained. "However, the great powers it unleashed came with the cost of the person's strength--while usually it just makes you really tired for a little while, there have been documented accounts past and present of people dying of exhaustion, so those that can sing it for real are told to only sing it in a dire emergency--and Kamon potentially abusing an ancient queen's gift counted as a dire emergency."

"That's fair." Misty replied. "Although finding the local Pokemon Center's gonna be our next Swanna Song-worthy emergency if we're not careful..."

Ash wasted no time flagging down a woman as the group approached a crosswalk. "Excuse me...can you please tell us where the Pokemon Center is?"

Misty facepalmed as Brock slunk up next to Ash, guitar in hand. "I'll give you a song as thanks for your help." he offered.

"You can sing all you want when we get to the Pokemon Center, Mr. Balladeer." Misty sighed as she dragged Brock away, guitar and all.

The woman just chuckled, bemused that someone would sing to her. "After you cross the street, take a left and the Pokemon Center should be nearby the park and a convenience store."

"Thanks!" Ash smiled as the crosswalk sign changed to WALK.

---------

"A little drink for you guys, and some for cooking later..." Brock smiled as he filled up a pot with water. by a fountain in the park.

He looked up and set the pot aside as a pale cyan rabbit-like Pokemon came racing up to the fountain, its deep teal haired master not far behind. "Nidora, come back here! You know better than to just run away from me like--WHOA!"

Brock gasped as the young girl tripped on a rock. "I've got ya!" he called as he made a flying leap, catching the girl in his arms moments before she could fall into the fountain. "Are you okay?" he asked as he checked the girl over for injuries.

"I think so..." the girl replied before looking up starry eyed at Brock. "You saved me! Never in my wildest dreams would I just fall into the arms of a knight with shining armor! Now that you've saved me from a watery fate, it's time for the wedding of our dreams!"

"Wait, what?" Brock asked, a little surprised that the girl had affections for him, much less wanting to marry him.

Misty noticed the awkward exchange from a bush. How odd...Brock has no problem approaching a girl and asking to sing for them, and he has no problem at all onstage, but when a girl does the same thing, he clams up!

"Uh, er, um..." Brock was still speechless by the girl's sudden profession of love for him. This is so weird...no girl's ever made the first move with me before...

"Over here..." Misty whispered from the bush.

After excusing himself from the girl, Brock joined Misty beside the bush. "What is it? Did I do something wrong?"

"I don't think you did anything wrong, I'm just puzzled." Misty explained. "How is it that whenever we find a pretty face, you're always ready to try and sing to them, but when she tried to do the same thing to you, you clammed up?"

"I've...never really had a girl make the first move on me like that before--it's usually me making the first move, and you know how that goes." Brock explained. "That, and no girl I know of has asked me to marry them immediately after meeting."

He sighed. "So what should I have done?"

Misty was about to answer when the teal haired girl returned. "If you guys need a place to stay, you can come to my house!"

"What's going on?" Ash asked as he joined Misty and Brock.

"We've found ourselves a place to stay, and an awkward situation for Brock." Misty explained as the group followed the girl down a path. "I'll explain later."

---------

"I can't thank you enough for rescuing my daughter, Temacu." a man with slightly graying gold-blond hair smiled as the group and the girl arrived in a large house some time later.

"Might I know my hero's name?" the girl asked, her eyes shining hopefully.

Brock swallowed hard, and did his best to not convey to the girl that he was nervous. "I'm Brock...and these are my two traveling companions, Ash and Misty."

Way to go, Brock! Misty smiled as she waved hello.

"Nice to meet you, sir." Ash smiled before noticing the man wore a lab coat over his clothes. "Are you some kind of professor, or something?"

"Yes--I collaborate with many professors across the region and with Professor Elm to better our understanding of Pokemon." Temacu's father replied.

"If you've traveled a long way, I can at least give you all a hot dinner and some tea." Temacu smiled before hurrying off to the kitchen.

Misty motioned for Brock to come closer. "As I was saying, as to what you should've done when Temacu made the first move, you should have at least politely acknowledged her feelings. Clamming up like that tells her that you're afraid of her, or worse yet, afraid of commitment."

"That's not the message I meant to send at all." Brock confessed.

"Another important aspect of a relationship is knowing what each of you wants out of the relationship, mutually drawing up healthy boundaries, and building up a sense of trust." Misty went on. "It is always exciting to want to be together in a new relationship, but don't forget to give each other space. So continue to play your music and tell your stories, and let her keep doing...whatever it is she likes to do."

She grinned. "As the old song says, 'me and you, it just takes two!'."

"You do have a point, there..." Brock smiled. "Any more advice?"

"As tempting as it is, don't put Temacu on a pedestal and declare her your only love." Misty cautioned. It may work out--in which case I would be royally happy for you both--and it may not, but a relationship is only as good as the amount of work the participants are willing to put into it."

"That's true--the friendship between the three of us was not built overnight." Brock mused. "It's been through highs, it's been through lows, and it's been through some pretty weird things, but through it all, we emerged stronger and better people for it."

"Exactly--so why not make that the goal of this relationship, and tell Temacu that in a song?" Misty suggested. "You've always wanted to sing to a girl, now here's your chance!"

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Interlude: The Princess and the Minstrel

"So, Brock, what brings you here to our cozy little corner of Johto?" Temacu asked as she joined Brock on the back porch of the house later that evening.

"I'm mainly traveling to support my friends--Ash is competing in the Pokemon League, and Misty the Pokethlon." Brock replied. "But then I discovered the Pokemon Lore Stage, and I decided to give it a try--since I have been asked to sing and tell stories in public before."

"Really?" Temacu was intrigued before noticing the four stripes on Brock's vest. "I take it those stripes are the rewards for a well told story?"

Brock nodded. "I only have the blue, indigo, and purple stripes left...make a rainbow by winning seven Lore Stages, and you get to tell for the Grand Lore Stage at the Pokemon League."

This got Temacu excited. "Ooh! Not only is my hero brave and handsome, but a minstrel as well! He sings of heroes slaying terrifying dragon Pokemon to win a princess fair!"

She spotted Brock's guitar case. "It helps he has his instrument, too! How long have you been playing?"

"I've been playing since I was in middle school--so about six years." Brock explained as he retrieved the case and started tuning the well loved yellow-brown acoustic guitar inside. "This one's my preferred traveling instrument--perfect for a campfire sing along at the end of a long day."

"How fun! The campfire songs were my favorite part of summer camp as a kid." Temacu smiled.

"Then, as I got into high school, I got into writing my own songs and tunes." Brock went on as he tuned. "It helps when you have equally talented traveling companions to jam with every night."

He smiled at Temacu staring with shining eyes as he checked his tuning. "Okay...now that I'm tuned here, what kind of a story would you like?"

"I said it before--tell me one about a hero that saves a princess fair." Temacu replied.

Brock just grinned as he started a relaxed melody. "In a certain village far from here, in a time far from now, there lived a poor peasant with his wife. For three years they had no children, until Arceus, moved by their tears, blessed them with a son, whom they named Liam, which means 'determined protector.'"

"Interesting..." Temacu museed, aware that Ash and Misty had arrived with Temacu's father to listen.

"But something was different about Liam--the boy grew not by years, but by hours, and within a week was a young man about sixteen years old." Brock went on. "The villagers were stunned at this, and the village oracle foretold that as a miracle child, Liam had some miraculous gifts, and with them, he would be known far and wide for his heroic deeds, and be immortalized in minstrels' songs for ages to come."

Temacu giggled with excitement over Brock's interlude.

"One day Liam went out to test his strength. In the back garden, he grabbed a pole and managed to stick it halfway into the ground. Then he turned it with such strength that the whole village spun like a top." Brock continued, some giggles going up over the "spinning" melody he is playing. "When he saw the village had regained its composure, he went back into the house to receive blessings from his parents, so he could go out into the world to seek his fortune. The couple understandably cried when he spoke of leaving them, and begged him to stay for a little bit longer; but Liam paid no mind to their tears, and said...

“If you will not give me your consent, I will go on without it.” Ash jumps in the role of Liam.

"So his parents gave him their blessing; Liam gave himself to Arceus, and then took leave of his father and mother." Brock went on as he started a "traveling" melody. "He wandered for ten days and ten nights until he came to a large kingdom in what is today Kanto--whose name is not important to us. He had hardly entered the city when a great outcry arose due to a loud rumbling noise. The king was so frightened at the riots that he proclaimed that whoever stopped the noise and calmed the people would have his daughter as his bride, and half his kingdom with her...."

---------

"...When Liam woke up, the king led him into the palace, thanked him for his service; and appointed him his lord high chamberlain, a position he held for some time." Brock finally concluded his story some time later. "When the king joined Arceus in heaven, Liam ascended to the throne, ruled wisely and happily, and lived with his wife for many years in the greatest harmony and love."

Temacu led the applause. "Bravo! Encore! Encore!"

"You three have real talent, if I say so myself!" Temacu's father agreed.

"I think Temacu would like your ballad about Brian and Epona..." Misty whispered as Brock thought of another story to tell.

A smile formed on Brock's face. "And now for my next number, a tale of another hero who met Epona, and saved not one, but three princesses fair."

With that, he started the intro to 'The Ballad of Brian and Epona', with Misty's fiddle and Ash's D whistle backing his own guitar. It's of a jolly beggarman came tripping o'er the plain,
    He came unto a castle fair, a lodging for to gain
    His Royal Highness, he came down and viewed him cheek and chin
    He said, 'You are a handsome man, of course I'll take you in...'

We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night, Ash joined in with Brock on the familiar chorus.
    We'll go no more a roving, let the moon shine so bright
    We'll go no more a roving...

The beggar that the king took in, was not poor as he claimed,
    He really was a handsome prince, and Brian he was named...
    Brock sang the second verse alone.
    He'd traveled far on a holy steed in search of fortune fine
    And bringing honor and great fame upon his royal line...

We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night, Temacu eagerly sang along.

Fair Brian proved a fine young man at any task he set to, Brock continued.
    And with every deed he did, the court's love for him grew,
    The lords and kitchen maids alike had only praise to say
    "He is true, faithful, diligent! Do not send him away!"

We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night, came the chorus again.

The call and response continued for a while--Brock singing a verse alone, before Temacu and her father joined in singing the chorus:

Now, the king that Brian went to see, he had three daughters fair
    They were all fine and lovely maids, and no one could compare!
    The eldest one was Orla, she was called "the golden queen"
    Ariana was the middle child, born under Lugia's sheen.

[i]We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night,

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 81b: The Heartbreak of Brock (part 2)

The next morning...

"Here is our Pokemon preserve, where many of our family's Pokemon have space to run, play, and just be themselves in a safe environment." Temacu explained, making a grand gesture to the yard.

"Wow..." Ash was impressed by what seemed like thousands of Nidorinas, Nidorinos and other Pokémon romping in the morning sun. "You caught and raised these all by yourself?"

"Not all of them--Dad and other family members caught a few here and there." Temacu replied, before the whoosh of a net caught her attention. "What in the--!"

"Team Rocket!" Ash gasped.

[No, it's worse than that!] Tintri cried from the net. [It's Kamon!]

"You seemed to have all these Pokemon here, so I was just taking a few of them off your hands." Kamon smirked as he tied the net containing some of the Nidorina, Nidorino, Tintri and the other Pokémon into a bag shape, so he could easily carry it.

"River, go save Tintri and the others!" Ash heaved a Poke Ball skyward.

"Nightwing, let's go!" Kamon also heaved a Poke Ball, summoning his Golbat before the Marill.

Everyone braced themselves as the Golbat's Venoshock met the Marill's Water Pulse in a toxic watery explosion...with River emerging victorious! "Where did Kamon get to?" Misty wondered, piqued in the cloud of Haze that Nightwing had sprayed before using Venoshock.

She grinned as she readied a Poke Ball. "Only one way to answer that question! Pearl, use some Mist to clear the air!"

As the whitish blue cloud dispelled the Haze, Ash spotted the net with the Pokemon near the bush. "The stolen Pokémon are here, but Temacu's gone." he reported.

"Come on! We have to find her!" Brock led the way into the forest...

---------

"My hero! Where are you?" Temacu called as she looked for Brock in the brush near the preserve. "I hope you didn't get l-WHOA!"

Kamon snapped to attention as he felt his rope go slack. "Okay...let's see what we got here." he smiled as he pulled up the rope. "It must be a dragon Pokemon, cause it's heavy!"

He balked when he found Temacu snagged in the rope, and dangerously close to slipping out! "Hang on!" he called as he caught Temacu seconds before she could fall from the tree. "There we go..." he smiled as he guided Temacu back to a sturdier part of the tree.

"Oh, my crimson haired samurai! Will you let me be your little Beautifly?" Temacu asked Kamon, much to his surprise as her eyes shone with hope.

Kamon, meanwhile, winced at the thought of romance. Is she asking me to be her boyfriend? I'm not one for all that mushy stuff, but I'll just play along, in hopes I can have a chance to steal some more Pokémon!

---------

Back at the forest edge, Temacu's father, the group, and a half dozen other people checked bushes, behind trees, and in piles of leaves for any signs of Temacu. "Anything?" Ash asked as Mina flew back some moments later.

[I found Kamon walking back with her to the house, sweet talking her like he was in love.] Mina reported.

Brock gasped, more out of surprise that Kamon had any romantic interest than the fact that Temacu had fallen for someone else. "Kamon, in love? THIS I have to see!"

Ash led Misty and Brock back to the house, where they could overhear Kamon talking to someone inside. "...the thieves were tough, and they put up a good fight, but I know a thing or two about kung fu myself! So with a hi-ya here...and a woo-hah there, I fought them off easily."

"What a brave young man..." he heard Temacu's father say as he motioned for the group to follow him to the front door, which was cracked open just enough to see Temacu put a plate of something before Kamon. "Please, join us for lunch--I've already informed the search party Temacu was found safe.

"Hold it!" Ash stormed into the house. "That's no ordinary red haired boy, it's just a punk--!"

"With standards..." Misty interjected.

"...named Kamon, who's given us all trouble, and tried to take your Pokemon before!" Ash breathlessly explained.

"Who, me?" Kamon shot back. "I'm just a traveler, that's all."

"Don't play dumb with me, Kamon!" Misty warned. "What kind of traveler badmouths every trainer they find, treats their Pokemon like tools instead of the living beings they are, tries to take a a baby Pokemon that is no way ready to leave its mother, and constantly steals Pokemon that very clearly belong to others, including yours?"

Kamon froze for a moment, surprised Misty had exposed the truth. "I hate to dine and dash, but I gotta go!" he yelped before dashing out the door.

"After him!" Brock called as he led the others out.

Ash quickly heaved a Poke Ball skyward as he tried to keep Kamon in view. "Luce, I need you!"

"Nightwing, let's go!" The Flaaffy stopped in her tracks when she saw Kamon's Golbat before her.

"Focus, Luce! Use Thunderbolt!" Ash's call snapped Luce to reality.

[You're not getting away, you punk!] Luce screamed as she fired a Thunderbolt at the Golbat, knocking it out.

Kamon was unfazed by losing Nightwing. "Helena, showtime!" he called as he summoned his Gastly. "Use Shadow Ball!"

He did not, however, expect Misty to summon Pearl. "Pearl, let's cool down the ghostie with Star Freeze!"

[YAH!!!!] Pearl sent a bevy of star shaped icicles at Helena, freezing her solid. "Okay, now use a Water Gun!" Misty commanded.

She gasped as Kamon steeped into the path of the Water Gun, but suddenly, she heard Temacu yell "My samurai!" and leap in the path, taking Pearl's attack as she shoved Kamon out of the way.

"Temacu!" Brock hurried by Temacu's side. "Are you okay?"

"I think so..." was all Temacu could say before closing her eyes.

Ash, meanwhile, spotted Kamon dashing for a hill. "Luce, use Thunder Wave to bind Nightwing and Helena!"

Misty smiled as the Thunder Wave tangled both the Golbat and the Gastly, sending them back on top of Kamon. "And now, for the coupe de grace!"

[We've got this!] Michelle reported as she prepared a Water Gun and Tintri charged a Thunderbolt...

---------

"Mm...where am I..." Temacu asked as she came to in her room some time later.

"You were trying to push that red haired punk away from a Starmie's Water Gun, and took the attack meant for his Gastly." Temacu's father explained. "I saw you were unconscious, so I called the doctor."

"Luckily, the Water Gun only knocked the wind out of your daughter...she's going to be all right." the doctor assured Temacu's father.

"I am so sorry...if I'd have known that Temacu was going to push Kamon away, I never would have told my Starmie to attack." Misty apologized to Temacu's father. "I would never live with myself if I hurt someone with my Pokemon...even if it was an accident."

"It's okay, miss--all it was was a freak accident, so I forgive you." Temacu's father assured Misty. "Although next time, make sure you have a clear path to your target before attacking."

Temacu, meanwhile, looked up with starry eyes at the doctor. "Oh, my hero! Restoring me to life after a brush with danger!"

"Again?" Ash gasped as he watched Temacu and the doctor exchange sweet nothings with each other.

Brock, however, was devastated. No way! Even after I sang for her and everything, she's fallen in love with someone else???

"Temacu's elder cousin was married to a fine young man earlier this year, so that's why she is so obsessed with getting married herself." Temacu's father explained. "I think we've found a good match for her."

But I wanted to be that match... Brock silently grumbled before excusing himself to another room...

---------

"Are you okay?" Misty asked as the group departed later that evening. Brock had not said a word since that afternoon, when the doctor had arrived to help Temacu.

"Well, I'm still trying to process what just happened back there." Brock explained. "I really thought that Temacu and me had a chance--she was the first girl that willingly let me sing to her that I can remember. That, and we really seemed to click last night."

"Well, if you need to cry, then go ahead." Misty assured Brock as the group stopped to make camp on a hill overlooking the road. "If you'd rather write down your feelings, that's fine. If you just want us to listen, we'll do that too."

"I mean, now that I know why Temacu was being romantic to every guy that passed her, her behavior does make some sort of sense." Brock explained. "I'm still trying to figure out what the doctor had that I don't..."

"But you have plenty of good qualities that any girl would love." Ash interjected. "Brave, kind, wise, very talented..."

"A way with words and song." Misty agreed.

[A great cook!] Tintri suggested.

A smile formed on Brock's face as one by one, Ash, Misty, and the Pokemon listed his good qualities. "Thanks, you guys...maybe the doctor was just a better fit for Temacu. In what way, I don't know, but they did seem to have better chemistry."

"At any rate, it does always hurt to lose someone in any way." Misty assured Brock. "If you need to stay here for a while to process everything, we're fine with staying here in camp for a few days."

"I'm at least glad that I met her, and hope that maybe we can still be friends if we ever see each other again." Brock smiled, relieved that he had his friends and his Pokemon supporting him.

"Besides, there's still a lady you can love and sing to forever out there somewhere!" Ash grinned.

"Yeah, there's plenty of other Magikarp in the sea." Misty agreed.

"Thanks again, everyone..." Brock smiled as he started the group's dinner for the evening. "Whoever this lady is, I'm sure I'll find her one day!"

With that, he reached for his guitar, tuned up, and started a gentle melody.

Floating in the sky, just like the silver moon
    Although I try to reach you, I can't hold you, and you slip away...
    From within the darkness, I reach for the future
    Although I call out for you, my voice only fades away...

I wish that the words I sing for you
    Would chase the wind and fly to your heart!

Ash gawked as a shooting star streaked over the campsite, as if in response to Brock's song. Soaring across the sky, and winging past the stars
    Delivering to you this one message...
    Brock continued the song.

Soaring through sands of time, flying through a bright light
    I sing this song for you,
    This star story...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 82a: Current Events (part 1)

"I'm glad Brock's doing okay after coming to terms with his heartbreak." Misty smiled--it had been a few days since the group had met Temacu, who had seemed to click with Brock. However, it turned out she had feelings for someone else, much to Brock's sadness, confusion, and anger.

"He was back to his usual joyful singing, guitar playing self yesterday." Ash agreed. "I was a little concerned when the guitar didn't come out for three days."

"Well, when you go through something like that, you need time to deal with your emotions--and every person grieves differently." Misty explained.

She was about to say more when a familiar "Yah-ho!" got her attention, and smiled when she found Ethan, Lyra, and their Pokemon waving to them a little farther down the road.

"Long time, no see, you guys!" Ethan smiled as he knelt to accept Ash's hug.

"You're not mad at me for giving you that cold, are you?" Brock asked Lyra as the group made their way down the path, near a large field close to a wind farm.

[Interesting fans...] Tintri mused as he watched the turbines spin in the gentle breeze.

"These aren't the kinds of fans that keep you cool in the summer--these fans are specially made to harness the power of the wind to generate electricity." Lyra explained. "It's a great source of clean energy."

[Nice!] Tintri smiled.

"Let's all let our teams out for a while--this field's perfect for everyone to play in!" Ash suggested before heaving his Poke Balls skyward. "Come on out, everyone!"

The group did not know that Team Rocket was watching them from behind the wind generators. "Let's see...what would be a good plan to take Hat-twerp's Pokemon?" Jessie mused.

"The only thing I want to think about is lunch..." James groaned. "It is past noon, after all..."

About then, all the Rockets' stomachs growled at the same time. "Okay...we can come up with a new plan over lunch." Jessie sighed, slightly annoyed as Meowth spread out a picnic blanket, secured it with some rocks, and then opened a picnic basket piled with food. "Although I will commend you for making a picnic lunch, Meowth..."

"Well, da last supply drop from da boss had plenty of food, and it a nice day, afta all, so I taught we could have a little picnic before our next heist!" Meowth smiled as he made himself a tuna salad sandwich.

---------

After they had had lunch, the Rockets discovered a strange building near the wind farm. "I wonder what's in there..." James mused as he approached the door and knocked. "Hello? Anybody home?"

When no answer came, James next decided to try pulling the door open, but no matter how hard he pulled, and shoved, the door didn't budge.

"Hey..." Meowth pointed out a card reader near the door. "I tink dis place requires a card key to get in..."

"NOW you tell me..." James sighed as he slumped to the floor, exhausted.

"But dat's nuttin a little lockpickin' wouldn't fix!" Meowth grinned as he scrambled on top of the card reader, extended a claw, and went to work attempting to pick the lock.

A SNAP got the Rockets' attention some moments later. "Of all da times ta break a nail..." Meowth grumbled before the door slowly opened with a whir. "But it was woith gettin da door open!"

"Let's go inside!" Jessie suggested as she led James and Meowth inside the complex, unaware that Jigglypuff was following them.

---------

Meanwhile, Lyra and Hana were enjoying a stroll across the field. It's such a nice day... Lyra thought. Nothing like spending the day with your best friends...

[Lyra...] Hana speaking snapped Lyra from her thoughts. [Check out this abandoned complex near the wind farm!]

"Lead the way, Hana." Lyra replied as she followed the Chikorita over to the same complex the Rockets had found, complete with the door still open. "Hello, anyone there?" she called as she peeked inside the room.

[I wonder what's inside?] Hana wondered as she and Lyra walked inside the complex.

Lyra was about to answer Hana when she heard the door slam shut! After hurrying over and trying to pull open the door, she slumped to the floor in defeat. "It's no use...we're stuck in here..."

[Maybe not...] Hana replied, directing Lyra to a map of the complex on one wall. [We are all the way up here...] She pointed out her and Lyra's current location. [...and there's another way out on the bottom floor. So all we have to do is find our way to the bottom.]

"Sounds easy enough." Lyra smiled. "Lead the way, Hana."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 82b: Current Events (part 2)

Previously, on Pokemon Moonlight Silver...

Lyra was about to answer Hana when she heard the door slam shut! After hurrying over and trying to pull open the door, she slumped to the floor in defeat. "It's no use...we're stuck in here..."

[Maybe not...] Hana replied, directing Lyra to a map of the complex on one wall. [We are all the way up here...] She pointed out her and Lyra's current location. [...and there's another way out on the bottom floor. So all we have to do is find our way to the bottom.]

"Sounds easy enough." Lyra smiled. "Lead the way, Hana."

"I wonder what this place was when it was active..." Lyra mused as she and Hana walked down hallways filled with empty rooms.

[Power plant, maybe?] Hana suggested. [Or a transformer substation?]

She grinned. [Although I don't mean giant robots in this case when I say transformers.]

Lyra giggled at her Chikorita's quip as she rounded the corner, where she noticed a Magnemite had been following them. "Oh, are you lost?" she asked the tiny magnet Pokemon levitating before her as she consulted her Pokedex:

"Magnemite, the magnet Pokemon. The units at the sides of its body generate anti-gravity energy to keep it aloft in the air."

Lyra tensely back away as the Magnemite's eye narrowed. "I'm not gonna harm you, little guy...I'll just be on my w-AUGH!!!"

[Lyra!] Hana gasped as the Magnemite delivered a Thundershock, knocking Lyra to the floor.

"Ow..." Lyra groaned as she gingerly got up. "I'm okay...nothing's hurt or broken." she assured Hana as she dusted herself off.

She then called "Hana, try and knock it down with a Vine Whip!"

[HI-YAH!] Hana hurled a vine at the Magnemite, knocking it backwards. [We need to go, before it recovers!]

Lyra looked back behind her to find several more angry Magnemites flying into the room, presumably to avenge the one Hana had attacked. "Good idea, Hana--let's get out of here!"

With that, Hana and Lyra raced down the maze of hallways, with the Magnemites in hot pursuit. But she did not, however, expect Team Rocket to find them in a dead end! "Surprise!"

"What are you guys doing here?" Lyra demanded.

"I should ask the same for you, then we wouldn't have this trouble..." Jessie replied, before noting Jigglypuff running to meet them in the hallway. "How'd the little puffball find us?"

Lyra looked behind her as Team Rocket snatched away Jigglypuff's mic. "Wait a minute...there's an open air vent right here that's just the right size for a human to fit!"

[We can make a break for it while Team Rocket's distracted!] Hana suggested, leading Lyra into the vent as Jigglypuff slapped James, sending the mic flying.

Moments after Lyra and Hana disappeared into the vent, they heard the distinct Jigglypuff jiggly... of Jigglypuff singing...

---------

"Lyra!" Ethan called as the group scoured the field for any sign of Lyra or Hana.

"Lyra, where are you?" Ash called.

"She said she was going to take a walk with Hana, but it's been over two hours..." Misty sighed.

She noticed the abandoned complex in the distance. "Maybe she went inside that old power plant!" she suggested, motioning for the group to follow her to the complex entrance.

"Apparently SOMEONE has been here--the electric lock couldn't have shorted out by itself." Brock mused as he studied the wires sticking out of the tampered lock. "I'm just thankful they're not sparking..."

Ash sighed. "Is there an electronics expert in the house?"

---------

"Wow..." Lyra gasped as she emerged into another room, where four massive generators were arranged neatly in a square formation. "I wonder if those still work..."

She noticed a number of white and red ball Pokemon rolling to meet her and Hana, and quickly consulted her Pokedex:

"Electrode, the ball Pokemon. It stores electric energy under very high pressure. It often explodes with little or no provocation."

Sure enough, Lyra barely had time to put her Pokedex away before an Electrode exploded! [Hit the dirt!] Hana called as more explosions rocked the room, Lyra wincing with each explosion as she protected Hana with her body.

When the explosions quieted some time later, Lyra tensely asked Hana "Is it over?" as the smoke from the explosions cleared away.

Hana wriggled from under Lyra and smiled when she noticed Team Rocket still fighting with Jigglypuff over the mic. [I'd say it's safe to come out--thanks for protecting me.]

"Come on, then." Lyra dashed out of the room as Jigglypuff sang Jigglypuff jiggly... again, unaware that Team Rocket had escaped out of a second door.

---------

"I tink we lost the diva puffball..." Meowth wheezed as he led his human companions into another room. "So da next question is---where's da goil an' da Chikorita?"

A bluish-white glow in the room spurred James to fumble for a light switch. When he did turn the light on, both he and Jessie screamed in panic at the yellow and black cat-like Pokemon in the room.

"Hey, calm down--Electabuzzes won't hoit ya unless you hoit dem foist." Meowth assured his terrified human companions.

He then told the Electabuzz "Say...if ya see a goil--brown hair, wearin' in a red shoit, blue overalls, an' a large floofy white hat, let us know--she's been causin' us a lotta trouble!"

The Electabuzz purred as if to accept Meowth's proposal, and hurried out of the room. "Now we kin find da goil once an' for all!" Meowth smiled as he led his human comrades out of the room, making sure to follow the Electabuzz.

---------

"...Okay...if we plug the loose wires back into the slots, it should activate the card reader's manual override, and the door should open." an auburn haired woman smiled as she finished the repairs on the broken card reader some time later.

"Thanks!" Ash smiled as the door opened with a whir.

"Let's go inside and see if we can find your friend, okay?" the woman assured Ash as she led the way inside the complex.

"Hey, look! An elevator!" Brock called, leading the others by a large elevator near the entrance. "Maybe Lyra somehow wandered onto one of the lower floors!"

Ash hit the button, and the elevator doors opened with a ding. "It works!"

"Good thing we can all fit in here..." Misty smiled as she, the boys, and the woman climbed inside the elevator. Once the doors closed again, she noticed a map of the complex on one of the car's walls. "The next question is which floor Lyra could've wandered to..."

"There's another way outside on the third basement, so let's start there." Ethan suggested.

We're going down, going down, going underground... Brock sang to himself as he hit the button marked B3...

---------

"Gah!" Lyra gasped as she and Hana ran into the Electabuzz, who angrily growled as it ran to Tackle her.

However, she did not expect a cage from Team Rocket to fall on both Hana and the Eletabuzz! [HAH!] Hana cried as she unleashed a volley of Razor Leaves at the bars, but not even the leaves could cut them. [I'm sorry, Lyra...the bars are way too strong!]

"Give Hana back, NOW!" Lyra demanded as Team Rocket arrived to claim the cage.

"You want your Chikorita back?" Jessie smirked. "You'll have to catch us first!"

"Come back here!" Lyra hurried as fast as she could after the Rockets, but her heart sank as Team Rocket dashed into the elevator. Great...I have to wait for the next one....

A stairwell near the elevator gave her an idea. [i]Of course, I could just take the stairs! A little exercise is always good![i]

With that, she hurried up the stairs, before a familiar whistle blast on the second floor got her attention. "Over here!" Misty called, waving to get Lyra's attention.

"Am I glad to see you guys!" Lyra hugged Misty and Ethan. "I'll explain what happened on the way up--Team Rocket swiped Hana and an Electabuzz!"

---------

Before long, the group had retraced their steps back outside, where they spotted Team Rocket making their way down a hill. "I'm gonna hold them off at the pass, if you will." Lyra explained as she hurried to a large tree in Team Rocket's path.

James, meanwhile noticed that Lyra had no Pokemon or weaponry on her. "Weezing, use Smog!"

"Arbok, use Ice Fang!" Jessie was next.

"Yipe!" Lyra jumped to avoid Arbok's glittering teeth, then coughed all the while as Weezing unleashed a Smokescreen attack. Then, Arbok wrapped himself around Lyra's feet, making her trip and fall!

In the cage, Hana watched in horror as Arbok tried again and again to bite Lyra, but Lyra fought him off every time. How dare they beat up my mistress? Beating up girls is not nice!

[So the girl is your mistress?] the Electabuzz asked. [And not the troublemaker the Meowth said she was?]

[No...Lyra would never hurt anyone or cause trouble.] Hana replied.

She grimaced. [So I'm going to rescue her!]

Lyra, the group, and Team Rocket watched in awe as Hana glowed white, transforming into a larger dinosaur-like creature with a larger leaf on its head and a collar of leaves around its neck. "Hana...you evolved?" she gasped as Hana used Razor Leaf again, but with her newfound power, the bars broke right off, allowing both Pokémon to escape.

"Should I induce Mina?" Ash asked.

"Or should I induce Michelle?" Misty asked.

"Let's just watch for now--I think Hana's got this." Brock replied as the group watched Hana headbutt Arbok and Victreebel away, then throw them towards Team Rocket with a Vine Whip.

The woman recognized the Electabuzz. "Volta! I'm glad to see you're safe."

[I want to pay back those hoodlums for lying to me, and Poke-napping us.] Volta purred.

The woman smiled. "All right...use Thunderbolt on those thugs!"

"Adios, Team Rocket!" Brock taunted as Volta's attack sent Team Rocket flying off with a ping...

---------

"She's going to be all right." Nurse Joy reported as she finished examining Lyra. Volta's trainer had led them to the closest town so Lyra could have any injuries assessed. "She only managed to escape from her ordeal with a few bruises and scratches, which should go away on their own. If her Bayleef had not intervened to rescue her, her injuries would be a lot worse."

"Oh, so this form is called Bayleef..." Lyra smiled as Ash showed her his Pokedex:

"Bayleef, the leaf Pokemon. The scent that wafts from the leaves on its neck causes anyone who smells it to become energetic."

"At any rate, I'm proud of you for being so brave." Ash smiled at Lyra. "That, and I'm glad you're okay!"

"It was scary when Team Rocket's Arbok tried to attack me, and their Weezing's Smokescreen made it hard to see..." Lyra weakly smiled as she looked over at Hana. "But, I'm relieved and happy that Hana evolved to rescue me..."

She gasped as Hana attempted to jump onto her, but ended up sending her falling back onto the exam table, to everyone's delight. "I think you're a little big to climb on my lap now, Hana." Lyra giggled as Hana allowed her to get up.

"You know...Lyra's adventure would probably work very nicely as a song..." Brock mused as the group departed the Pokemon Center.

"Yeah--you could call it 'The Ballad of Brave Hana'." Ethan agreed.

"I'll give you all the details over dinner." Lyra smiled. "But you have to play it for us when it's done!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 83: Doin' What Comes Natu-rally!

"How much further until lunch?" Ash sighed. "I'm getting hungry..."

"We shouldn't be too far away from a town, so we should be getting lunch here momentarily." Brock assured Ash as the group rounded a bend in the road.

"I'm just happy that Hana became a Bayleef." Misty smiled, changing the subject. "You have to hand it to Lyra for being brave, though."

Ash was about to reply when he heard a female voice in the distance. After motioning for his friends to follow him, he crawled into the grass, where he spotted a brown haired girl talking talking with a small round green bird with tiny red and yellow wings. But as he got closer, the girl gasped, and told the small bird "Come on, Naughty."

Piqued, Ash read up on the bird Pokemon in the girl's arms:

"Natu, the tiny bird Pokemon. It usually forages for food on the ground but may, on rare occasions, hop onto branches to peck at shoots."

"Wonder why that girl called the Natu 'Naughty' when it didn't do anything wrong." Ash mused as he watched the girl run off.

"Maybe that's the Natu's name." Misty suggested as the group returned to the road.

"Not the name I would pick for a Natu, but okay." Ash mused.

---------

Festival tents, booths, and streamers met the group when they arrived in town. "A festival!!!" Ash gasped.

"That, and you have a shot for your blue Lore Stripe." Misty grinned at Brock as the group passed a signpost that said 'Lore Stage on Festival Stage @ 3 PM'.

"If you guys will wait a second, I'll go check in for that." Brock assured the others before locating the check in booth near the stage in question.

"I'm gonna go sample some of the tasty fried goodness!" Ash wasted no time in getting in line for a corn dog.

"Ooh, good idea!" Misty hurried over to a funnel cake stand.

Brock, meanwhile, smiled when he returned to find Ash savoring a fresh corn dog and Misty indulging in a chocolate drizzled funnel cake. "Couldn't wait for lunch, could you?"

"Corn dog?" Ash offered Brock a corn dog. "You get two for 500 credits, and the one I just finished really filled me up."

"Don't mind if I do." Brock smiled as he took the other corn dog and bit into it with a crunch.

As the group strolled down the streets of the festival, they took a moment to admire the rides and other attractions. A Machoke effortlessly snapped a chain on a stage nearby a roller coaster, while a crowd laughed at an Exeggutor making goofy faces. Misty smiled as a juggling Cubone delighted some children, while hundreds more people lined up to try their luck winning Pokemon dolls and other prizes on the midway.

"Before you is the humble Natu, a Psychic and Flying type Pokemon that can see the future." a man began, piquing the group's interest. "Offer a coin, and the Natu will tell you what is to come in your future!"

"Here you go!" a little girl called as she hurried to the booth and gave the Natu a silver coin with a moon design on it. The crowd watched as the Natu hopped to a pool of water and dipped its wings in it; then hopped across three rocks in a triangle; rang a bell hanging over a box, then its eyes glowed blue as it took a piece of paper in its beak and presented it to the man.

"Hm...the Natu sees that you will become a fine musician when you get older, and your songs will touch the hearts of millions." the man announced to some applause.

"Mama, you hear that? I'm gonna be an idol when I grow up!" the girl smiled as she showed her mother the fortune.

"Keep practicing the piano like you do every day, and you will!" the mother smiled.

In the brush overlooking the fortune telling booth, Kamon watched as a boy gave the Natu a coin. I was gonna find Wonder Boy and challenge him, but since this is a Pokémon exhibition, why not swipe the Pokémon?

---------

As Misty approached the fortunetelling booth some time later, she recognized the girl from before at the booth. "Um...b-before you..." she stammered.

"Is the humble Natu..." the man whispered.

"...is the humble Natu, a Psychic and Flying type Pokemon that..." the girl stammered before freezing in horror again.

"Can see the future..." the man reminded her again.

Finally, overcome with nervousness, the girl ran off, tears of embarrassment streaming down her face. "Hey, wait!" Misty called, the others not far behind her.

---------

The gang caught up to the girl some time later in a park. "There she is..." Ash mused, pointing her out staring at the ground from a bench.

The girl gasped as the group approached. "Hey, it's okay." Misty assured the girl. "We're not gonna hurt you."

Ash stepped forward to address the girl. "I'm Ash, and these are my companions Misty..." Misty waved hello. "...and Brock." Brock waved hello.

"My name's McKenzie, and this is Naughty." the girl replied as her Natu hopped on her lap. "I really wanted to participate in the Lore Stage and help my dad with his fortune telling act, but every time i get on a stage of any type, I get really nervous."

"Well, we all play music, and Brock plays music and tells stories professionally." Ash explained. "And we get nervous too. But we tell ourselves the audience wants us to do well, go out onstage, and play."

"Any suggestions to not be nervous?" McKenzie asked.

"I could tell you many different ways to ease nerves, but what works for me may not necessarily work for you." Brock cautioned. "Knowing and practicing your material helps the most, but some things that generally work for most people include relaxation techniques, eating a Nanab Berry before they go onstage, and listening to motivating music."

"Another thing we could try is using a mask to create a character to do the fortune telling act." Misty suggested. "If you focus on performing the script in character, you'll have less time to worry about the audience."

A smile formed on McKenzie's face. "What a great idea! I think I have a mask we could use..."

---------

"Before you is the humble Natu, a Psychic and Flying type Pokemon that can see the future." McKenzie--now wearing a Wooper mask--announced to the crowd later that afternoon.

"Where? I don't see a Natu..." a boy protested. McKenzie froze--Naughty was gone!

She turned around to look for Naughty, but when the crowd spotted Naughty clinging on McKenzie's back, they burst out laughing. "What's so funny?" McKenzie asked, oblivious to Naughty's antics.

Nearby, Ash facepalmed as McKenzie continued to fruitlessly look for Naughty, the crowd roaring with laughter all the while. "I think our next lesson should be the concept of 'the show must go on'..."

Just then, a flash bomb dropped on the ground with a loud pop and a bright flash, startling many in the crowd. With the crowd distracted, Kamon slunk from the brush and started taking as many Pokemon as he could carry. That pop should lure Wonder Boy here... he smirked as he hurried off with all the Pokemon... except for Tintri!

---------

"Is everyone okay?" Ash asked the crowd as the townsfolk frantically searched the festival grounds for their Pokemon.

"Brock's consoling McKenzie, I'm going back to my team of searchers." Misty reported before hurrying to rejoin a group searching by the midway.

Just then, one of the Machokes from before lumbered up to the crowds of searchers. [Hey--if you're wondering where the other Pokemon went, that red haired punk over there got them all!] he reported, pointing out Kamon dashing down the path with a massive net in tow.

Ash heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Aina, use Karate Chop to cut the net!"

[HIII-YA!] Aina dashed up to the net and effortlessly cut the bag open, sending the captive Pokemon hurrying back to their owners.

"But what about Naughty?" McKenzie asked Ash, pointing out Naughty in Kamon's arms.

"This Natu's mine now, Wonder Boy!" Kamon taunted. "And there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

"Oh yeah?" Ash shot back. "Tintri, use Thunderbolt!"

[HAAAAAAAHHHH!!!] Tintri fired a volley of Thunderbolts, forcing Kamon to drop Naughty as he went crashing to the ground.

"Nice work." Misty smiled as Kamon fled, allowing McKenzie to reunite with Naughty.

[All in a day's work!] Tintri grinned.

---------

"You know, I think I may be able to do the fortune-telling act and compete in the Lore Stage after all." McKenzie smiled as she, Naughty, and the group arrived at a school. "Without the mask."

"This was why we brought you here--so you could practice both the fortune telling act and your story for the Lore Stage." Misty explained as the group signed in and received guest passes. "The principal loved the idea, so she allowed us the use of the gym, since the auditorium is being cleaned at the moment."

Once the children had gathered in the gym, and McKenzie was set up, she started the spiel with the trio looking on. "Before you is the humble Natu, a Psychic and Flying type Pokemon that can see the future."

The kids cheered as she made a grand gesture to Naughty. "Offer a coin, and the Natu will tell you what is to come in your future!"

"Will I be a pro athlete?" a boy asked as he offered Naughty a coin.

The group smiled as Naughty accepted the coin, hopped to a pool of water and dipped his wings in it; then hopped across three rocks in a triangle; rang a bell hanging over a box, then his eyes glowed blue as he took a piece of paper in his beak and presented it to the boy.

"The Natu sees that you will indeed become a pro athlete, and will make history in your chosen sport!" McKenzie smiled.

She got up from the fortunetelling table and started her planned tale for the Lore Stage. "Once a Combusken was scratching for food when he accidentally swallowed a bean. Try as he might, he just couldn't swallow the bean. So he laid down on the ground, in hopes the new position would help the bean along..."

---------

"...On the third day the queen came to Todd disguised as a huntress, saying she wanted a Buneary to serve a guest for dinner." Brock continued the tale he was weaving some time later. "Todd agreed--if the huntress would tiptoe in a circle while looking up at the sky and clucking like a Combusken."

Even McKenzie laughed as she pictured the ridiculous scene in her mind. "The queen was unsure, and knew people would think she'd gone nuts, but did what Todd asked of her anyway." Brock went on. "But at the end of the day, when he used the whistle to call back the Bunearies..."

Ash played the Zelda whistle theme again for effect, to giggles from the children in the crowd. "...even the one Todd gave away came hopping back." Brock smiled before he concluded "When the king heard of how clever Todd was, and how Princess Andrea seemed to like him, he concluded Todd was the best choice, and the two of them were soon married. When it came time for Todd to ascend the throne, he ruled with the same wisdom and cunning as he did when he herded the Bunearies."

Applause rang across the carnival grounds as Brock and Ash both took a bow, but when the scores of the participants appeared as bars on the scoreboard, McKenzie's bar narrowly edged Brock's to reach the top, signaling she had won the Lore Stripe! "I can't believe it...McKenzie managed to beat you?" Misty was surprised as the judges pinned an orange stripe to McKenzie's shirt.

"She truly earned it after all that happened today." Brock smiled. "I respect the judges' decision."

He quickly found McKenzie in the crowd with her parents some moments later. "Oh!" McKenzie gasped. "I just wanted to thank you guys for being so nice, and showing me how to be confident."

"Well, I came to offer my heartiest congratulations to you and Naughty, even though I lost." Brock replied. "You more than earned that Lore Stripe."

"Thank you..." McKenzie ran and hugged Brock. "Will you guys come back and perform for the carnival next year?"

"We'll try, okay?" Brock smiled as the new friends shared their embrace against the setting sun...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 84: The Big Balloon Blowup!

"That carnival was so much fun!" Misty smiled as the group walked through an open field some days later.

"I had fun too, and even though I didn't get my blue Lore Stripe, I also hope that McKenzie completes her rainbow." Brock replied before noticing a pattern in the grass that looked like a circle with an X in the middle of it. "What in Arceus' name IS that?"

"Maybe it's crop circle!" Ash suggested, scenes of sci fi movies and aliens dancing in his head.

Just then, a ball with a feathery bird-like tail dropped at Misty's feet. "Huh?" she wondered as she looked up into the afternoon sky.

As Ash shielded his eyes from the sun, he spotted a balloon in the distance, shaped like and guided by a Fearow. "Look! Out there!"

As the balloon gracefully landed in the target zone, an auburn haired boy climbed from the basket as his chase crew met him and a Fearow. "Oh, hi! Didn't know I was going to have spectators when we touched down."

"We saw the target area and wondered what it was." Misty explained to the boy.

"I see..." the boy smiled. "The name's Skyler--me and my crew are getting ready for a big balloon race in a few days, so I thought I'd take a test flight so my crew can learn the course route. This way, if something happens, they can reach me quickly."

"Coo!" Ash smiled before introducing himself and his companions. "I'm Ash, and my companions Misty..." Misty waved hello. "...and Brock." Brock waved hello.

"Nice to meet you guys." Skyler smiled. "Would you guys like to see our team base?"

"Sure!" Ash replied.

---------

"Here is the design room, where all the balloons are made." Skyler explained as the group arrived in a large and spacious workshop, when a man with darker brown hair and similar features to Skyler was in the process of sewing a sheet of orange fabric. "My dad's built a number of well known balloons, including all the ones we fly. If you remember the Kitsune balloon celebrating Worlds of Wonder's 50th anniversary, Dad built that."

About then, the man looked up from his work. "Oh, Skyler, you're back! How are the conditions out there?" he asked as he folded up the fabric and set it aside.

"Just perfect--I actually had a few visitors waiting when we touched down, so I'm giving them a tour of the base." Skyler explained, gesturing to the group.

"Hi, I'm Ash." Ash told the man. "I'm on a journey around the region to compete in the Johto League."

He gestured to Misty and Brock. "These are my companions Misty, our Water Pokemon expert and Pokethlete..."

"Hi!" Misty smiled.

"...and Brock, our navigator, storyteller, and balladeer." Ash continued.

"Nice to meet you." Brock replied.

"Nice to meet you three." the man smiled as he and Brock shook hands. "Name's Tenma--always have had a love for building and flying hot air balloons."

He gestured to the workshop walls, which were covered in balloon pictures and newspaper clippings. While the majority of the pictures featured Pokemon balloons, Ash noticed a few generic rainbow designs, and few shaped like characters and icons from other franchises. "As Skyler probably told you, I've built a few famous and iconic balloons, including the lady Kitsune for Worlds of Wonder..." He pointed out a picture on a wall of a Delphox shaped balloon. "...and a pair of Mario and Luigi balloons plus a Star balloon to celebrate the 30th anniversary of 'Super Mario Bros.'" He gestured to a picture showing a red balloon with the familiar "M" emblem and a dark green balloon with the familiar "L" emblem. "The Star balloon could glow in the dark--if you spotted it flying, and took a picture, you could mail the picture in and receive a copy of 'Super Mario Maker'." He gestured to a picture of him and Skyler riding in the Star balloon.

"I've always wanted to go on a balloon ride!" Misty was excited.

Then an idea occurred to Tenma. "Come to think of it, there's still time to enter in the big race, so if any of you have a flying type to guide the balloon, you guys can ride it!"

"REALLY???" Ash gasped as Tenma led the group into a storage room, where a Pikachu balloon was waiting...

---------

"Okay..." Skyler began as the Pikachu balloon floated over the field overlooking the team base. "I'm basically giving you a flyover of the course." he explained. "Since you guys don't have a license to fly on your own, I'll have one of our team pilots do the heavy lifting of piloting, while you guide your Flying type from the gondola."

"Works for me!" Ash smiled.

A guitar playing the introduction to a song he recognized got his attention. Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon? Brock sang as he played.
    Would you like to glide in my beautiful balloon?
    We could float among the stars together, you and I...

---------

"Interesting...a garage of some kind..." James mused as Team Rocket made their way through the brush.

"Some garage--there's no cars anywhere..." Jessie mused.

"Dis isn't da kind of garage for cars--it's for hot air balloons, like what we ride in." Meowth explained as he shoved the packet advertising the race into his human companions' faces. "Says here dat da winner of da race gets a powerful burner!"

"Are you sure?" James asked. "We've only flown for fun..."

"Cummon! We won't know how good of racers we are till we try!" Meowth grinned.

Jessie smirked it this. "All right, if you really believe we can win the race, Meowth--we'll give it a try."

---------

A few days later, huge crowds gathered around the field to watch hundreds of teams, their guide Pokemon, and the chase crews take off, the group and Team Rocket among them. "Everything's ready!" the group's pilot called as he finished the pre-flight checks.

Once he, Misty, and Brock were comfortable in the gondola, Ash heaved a Poke Ball into the sky. "Mina! Guide us on our little adventure!"

[We're taking the same course we've practiced on, right?] Mina asked. [Then I should be able to find the way.]

As the group's balloon and Skyler's Fearow balloon lifted off, Ash kept hearing sputtering fans and hissing burners. I KNEW Team Rocket would enter just to cheat... he silently grumbled as the crews on the ground hurried to resuscitate the helpless balloons.

"You guys! When ya said you'd give racin' a try, I EXPECTED you to play fair ta some degree!" Meowth snapped. "We may be crooks, but even a crook has ta have standards too!"

"Weezing, choke up the competition with Smog." James smiled, grinning gleefully as many of the pilots coughed and sputtered as they rushed to clear the smog, allowing Team Rocket to drift ahead of the field.

"Are ya tryin' to tip off da judges dat you're cheatin'?" Meowth gasped. "If ya are gonna cheat, you coulda been a bit more incognito about it."

Jessie just shrugged, bemused in Meowth ranting. "Arbok, pop the other balloons with Pin Missiles."

Meowth gasped as a team of chaser Pidgeots arrived to rescue a falling pilot. "Now you're tryin' ta KILL people? I'm not gonna sit back and watch if ya do dat!"

He brought out his claws. "Seems ta me ya need ta be taught a little lesson!"

---------

"There...Meowth won't bother us for a while." Jessie reported as she finished binding Meowth in a rope, wincing from the scratches on her arms all the while.

"That takes care of one problem, but what about the weather?" James asked, pointing out some approaching storm clouds in the distance.

"Silly, you were the one that put the jet engine on the balloon last night!" Jessie reminded her partner.

"Oh yes, that..." James smirked as he pressed a button on the burner, transforming it into a jet engine and allowing the Rockets to easily power past the rest of the field as rain started falling, making it harder for the balloons to fly.

"What?" Misty gasped as the Rockets blew past them and Skyler. "That's cheating!"

"Keep an eye on the burner!" Skyler cautioned as he and his Fearow caught up to the balloon. "If that goes out, you're in trouble!"

A pop and some sparking noises made Brock wince. "Speak of Darkrai...."

Ash heaved a Poke Ball as the Pikachu balloon careened towards a cliff. "Cyndy, help keep us aloft!"

"And fast!" Misty braced herself for the inevitable as the cliff inched closer and closer. Cyndy's Flamethrower attack was beginning to help the balloon rise, but she wondered if Cyndy could get the balloon heated in time.

"Pull up, Mina!" Ash called as Cyndy unleashed another Flamethrower.

Much to everyone's relief, the balloon pulled up and effortlessly floated above the clouds. "That was close..." Brock smiled.

"Humidity caused the burner to short..." the pilot reported. "Luckily, that's an easy fix."

---------

"How are the twerps still following us?" Jessie gasped when she saw the group and Skyler catching up to them.

"You forget I built a self defense mechanism into the jet engine." James assured Jessie as he pressed a button, transforming the engine into a missile launcher.

Brock growled as some missiles went flying at them with hisses and whistles. "Now they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.."

[AUGH!!!] Cyndy screamed as the impact of a missile knocked her back.

"I gotcha!" Ash leaped to catch Cyndy in his arms. However, he did not expect another missile to explode nearby, knocking him backwards and slamming his shoulder into the gondola.

[Ash!] Cyndy gasped. [You okay?] she asked as she hopped back up to the burner.

Brock examined Ash's shoulder. "Thankfully, nothing feels broken, just a little bit of burn and some bruises." he assured Ash. "But we'll get it examined when we touch down."

Tintri, meanwhile, screeched at the Rockets [Are you punks lookin' for a fight? I'm more than ready to defend my master, so come at me!]

"They're getting away!" Misty reported the Meowth balloon speeding away, thanks to the jet engine.

Wincing from his injured shoulder, Ash angrily sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... as he stood up, holding his right hand skyward as his Mega Ring glowed, surrounding Mina in a burst of flames and red light.

When Mina emerged from the cocoon of light some moments later, she had a majestic yellow and orange crest on her head, blue tips on her wings, and flowing tail feathers. [Ready for action!] she cried.

"Okay, now help Tintri get to Team Rocket!" Ash called.

[Hang on tight, Tintri...we may be in for a wild ride.] Mina cautioned as Tintri climbed on her back, aware that James was preparing to fire again.

Skyler panicked as another volley of missiles went flying, forcing the Mega Pidgeot to weave around them. "Kenya, distract those thugs with Drill Peck!" he commanded as he heaved a Poke Ball skyward, revealing his Fearow.

[Now's our chance!] Mina cried as she circled in close to the Meowth balloon, where Kenya was mercilessly battering the Rockets with a flurry of pecks.

[HAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!] Tintri leaped from Mina's back and fired a Thunderbolt at Team Rocket, destroying the balloon and sending them flying into the distance with a ping.

---------

As two feathery balls fluttered towards the target, Ash and Skyler touched down to discover they ha both gotten a bull-eye, making them both the winners of the race. "So now what do we do? There's only one balloon burner as a prize..." Skyler mused as their chase crews arrived.

"You should take the prize, since we'd very much prefer to walk." Ash smiled as Kenya landed on Skyler's shoulder. "But I'd gladly go flying with you again any time!"

"I'll tell Dad to have the Pikachu balloon ready for you if you ever want to go flying with us." Skyler replied as the new friends shared one last embrace...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 85: The Screen Actor's Guilt

"The good news is, your shoulder wasn't too badly injured during our run-in with Team Rocket during the balloon race." Brock assured Ash as the group departed a clinic a few days later.

"That's a relief--you did smack it pretty hard on the gondola side, so I was worried you broke something." Misty was equally relieved Ash was none the worse for wear.

She was about to say more when a throng of screaming teen girls ran down the street. "What's going on?" Brock wondered.

"Maybe an idol or a band's in town!" Misty suggested as she led the way down the sidewalk, making sure to keep the girls in view. "Hope you guys packed your autograph books!"

"What idol or band do you hope it is?" Brock asked.

Just then, a red haired man in black met the group and handed Ash an odd yellow ball. "Would you be so kind to hold onto this?"

"Okay?" Ash replied as he accepted the ball, a little confused.

"I'll be back for it later, okay?" the man assured Ash as he dashed off, leaving his hat behind.

Piqued, Ash unwrapped the yellow ball to find a small purple humanoid Pokemon with pale blonde hair dozing inside. He took a moment to read up on the tiny Pokemon as it woke up and kissed him on the cheek:

"Smoochum, the kiss Pokemon. Its lips are the most sensitive parts on its body. It always uses its lips first to examine things.

"That explains why it kissed me..." Ash mused as the Smoochum kissed Misty, then climbed from the bundle to retrieve the dropped hat.

Brock was surprised when the Smoochum plopped the black fedora on his head. "I'm glad you think I look nice in this, but this isn't my hat, sweetie." he assured the Smoochum.

The screaming horde of girls suddenly rounded the corner and crowded around Brock. "Wow! I didn't know Brad could play guitar too!" a girl called, noting Brock's guitar case.

"Sing us a song!" another girl pleaded.

"Okay, one at a time!" Brock demanded as he looked for a suitable place to perform. "Give me a second to tune, and then I'll take your requests."

He froze when a third girl called "Hey wait a second, that's not Brad at all!"

"But, I was all prepared to sing..." Brock sighed as the girls disappeared down various sidewalks.

"You'll get your chance to play, don't worry!" Misty assured Brock before a TV on display in an electronics store flashed an image and the name of the man from before. "Hey...that's the young star of the TV show 'Midnight Snow', Brad Hughes!"

Just then, a sleek black limo appeared by the curb, prompting the Smoochum to babble happily as a man Ash presumed to be Brad's manager requested for him to climb inside the elegant vehicle. "That has to be Brad's limo--let's follow it so we can reunite Brad with his Smoochum." Ash suggested as he motioned for the others to follow him...

---------

When the group arrived at a TV studio some time later, they found the main entrance blocked off by screaming girls. "No dice going in the front door...so there must be a back door or stage door we can use." Brock mused as the group looked for a way inside.

Inside the studio, Brad was nearly in tears. "But I can't go on the show without my beautiful Bianca..." he pleaded.

"But Smoochum's too girly for a star that mainly appears in adventure shows." Brad's manager explained. "Why not pick a Lucario, or a Braxien if you must choose something feminine? That way you could broaden your appeal to both boys and girls."

"No...I only became a star because Bianca believed in me, and gave me the confidence I needed to get to where I am today." Brad explained.

"All right...let's search the studio for Bianca, then." the manager assured Brad as the two of them departed to the first floor.

---------

"Good thing we didn't go through with the tree idea." Misty mused as the group made their way into the studio. "Besides, that tree branch didn't look close enough to reach the window..."

Just then, Brad emerged from a stairwell and smiled when he found Bianca in Ash's arms. "Oh, thank you for looking after Bianca for me." he smiled. "Can I trust you three to look after her in the green room while my segment of 'Sunshine Golden Day' is being filmed?"

"Okay." Ash replied as they followed Brad to a green room near a particular studio, unaware that Team Rocket had followed them inside while disguised as security guards.

Just then, Brad's manager and a producer arrived in the green room. "Oh, are you three guests too?" Brad's manager asked.

"We just had the guest before Brad back out, and so we need someone to fill that time." the producer explained before noticing the four stripes on Brock's vest. "You must be a storyteller--would you and your friends like to perform on the show?"

"I would be honored, but we haven't really prepared anything..." Brock confessed.

"That's okay--just pick a few of the tunes and stories your audiences ask for again and again." the producer assured Brock. "You have about ten minutes before the fill-in segment starts, so take your time picking some songs and stories!"

---------

Applause filled the 'Sunshine Golden Day' set as Ash, Misty, and Brock arrived on the stage. "Thank you!" Brock called as he acknowledged the hosts.

After finding the notes he needed to start on, Brock started playing the jig "The Hearthome Pilgrim" while Ash and Misty danced to the guitar and the show's house band. While Misty was clearly the more experienced dancer of the two, she also made sure Ash knew when to lead and when to follow as the band and Brock transitioned into a second jig. An autoharp filled in the highs around Brock's guitar, a fiddle, a mandolin, a Pokeflute, and a whistle, creating a melody that resonated through the room, prompting many in the crowd to clap along.

The crowd applauded the end of the second tune, then Brock started the first story that came to mind. "In a certain country there lived a great king, who had an only son--we'll call him Alex--who had long desired to be known as a great hero. When he had come of age, Prince Alex began to think about marrying, and he asked his father where the most beautiful princess in the world lived."

Excited murmurs went up at this. "So the king took Prince Alex to the royal gallery, and showed him hundreds of portraits of ladies and princesses from all over the world." Brock went on as he played a majestic melody. "After looking them all over very carefully, Alex came to the portrait of Mina, the daughter of a powerful king of the desert, and knew in his heart that she was the one for him."

"Aw"s go up at this. "So he asked his father’s blessing, and permission to travel to the court of the desert king, to ask for Princess Mina's hand...."

---------

"Here, Bianca..." Jessie cooed to the Smoochum backstage. "Come to mama..."

[No! You're not my mama!] Bianca retorted, aware of the cage Jessie held.

Just then, Meowth managed to open the curtains, revealing him and his human companions to the group and the audience, who gasped in horror as Bianca cried [Help meeeeeee! This lady's not my mama!!!!]

"I'm coming, Bianca!" Brad called as he dashed onstage in an attempt to save Bianca.

"Weezing, Tackle the man in black!" James commanded, but balked as Brad rolled out of the way.

"Arbok, use Poison Sting!" Jessie called, but gasped as Brad evaded Arbok's poisonous tall. In all the confusion, Weezing slammed into Jessie, making her drop Bianca.

Brad made a desperate jump, and caught Bianca in his arms to the roar of the crowd. "There now...Daddy's here." he assured the tiny Pokemon as the group unleashed their Pokemon to battle Team Rocket.

"Luce, shock Arbok with a Shockwave!" Ash commanded.

[HAH!!!!] Luce cried as she unleashed a huge thunderbolt, making Arbok faint. Angered by his companion's defeat, Weezing unleashed a massive Smokescreen, clouding the group's vision and making the audience cough and sneeze as they rushed to clear away the smoke.

"Mina, clear the air!" Ash commanded, smiling as his Pidgeot cleared away the smoke with a huge Gust.

"Bianca, give these hoodlums a Sweet Kiss." Brad smiled, setting Bianca on the ground.

Ash noticed an open window as Bianca dazed Team Rocket with her kiss. "Okay, bud--aim to send Team Rocket out that window."

[You got it!] Tintri smiled, unleashing a massive Thunderbolt that sent Team Rocket blasting off once again.

The crowd applauded what they thought was a sketch, but then Brad addressed the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, what you just saw was not an act. Those hoodlums really did want to take my dear Bianca, and with the help of these brave storytellers, we managed to defeat them!"

The crowd erupted into more screams and cheers as the group took a bow, as well as enthusiastic chants of "We love Brad! We love Brad! We love Brad!" when Brad and Bianca bowed themselves...

---------

"Well! Seems Brad is starring in the new adventure drama 'The Warmth of a Frozen Kiss' with Bianca." Brock smiled as the group passed the same electronics store a few days later, where the opening sequence of the show was playing on a TV.

"I know--the show became a hit overnight, and now, all the girls have Smoochums." Misty smiled as she watched more of the opening scene depicting Brad as a paladin.

"I'll never forget going on 'Sunshine Golden Day'." Ash grinned. "Even if Team Rocket tried to ruin the episode!"

"Well, the producer said we were always welcome back if we wanted to perform again." Brock assured Ash as the three friends departed down the road and into the setting sun...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 86: The Joy of Water Pokemon!

"Brad was so nice..." Misty smiled. "I wish him and Bianca all the best..."

"Me too..." Brock smiled. "I'm hoping I can share my stories with you guys on more variety shows, as well--minus Team Rocket, of course."

"Yeah, let's not have any more visits from Team Rocket the next variety show we go on!" Ash grinned.

Just as the group rounded a bend in the road, Ash noticed a Pokémon Center across a fairly large river. "Wow...that Pokemon Center looks HUGE!" he gasped as the group located a bridge leading to the large Pokemon Center.

"Considering its location, its specialty is probably caring for Water-type Pokémon." Misty smiled as she admired the sunshine sparkling across the water, illuminating the many Magikarp swimming below the surface.

Just then, Tintri noticed a ripple in the water. [Huh?]

"What is it, Tintri?" Ash asked, piqued in Tintri's interest.

As the group watched from the bridge, a person in a deep blue scuba suit with a familiar cross sign on the helmet holding a Goldeen with faint white spots on its body emerged from the water. After the person removed her respirator, she called "Okay, bring over the quarantine tank!"

[Right!] Two Chansies and a gaggle of Happinis hurried to their master's side with a fish tank as their master stepped onto dry land.

"Given the cross on the helmet, Nurse Joy is the one inside the suit." Ash mused. "Didn't know Nurse Joy had scuba certification..."

Brock proudly showed Ash his trainer card, which had a familiar red square with a white left diagonal stripe. "If you do have certification, you can get an emblem for your trainer card, whether you dive for work or play."

"I have one on my card too--the Gym's pool was often used for training classes." Misty grinned, showing Ash the emblem on her own card. "If you want to take lessons, expect to pony up 1500 to 3000 credits."

Just then, the group watched as Nurse Joy approached them on the bridge, removing the helmet of her suit as her team of Chansies and Happinis rushed the sick Goldeen inside the Pokemon Center.

This got Brock excited, prompting Misty and Ash to sigh as he retrieved his guitar and tuning up. "Not the 'Brian and Epona' ballad again... Misty groaned.

"Actually, this is a new song, written about vacations we took to the beach when I was little." Brock explained before beginning a brisk introduction:

When I was five...
    We'd get up at four,
    And drive on down to Cerulean's shore
    Summer holidays had come at last...
    They came real slow and went by fast!
    Just one week, that's all we had,
    Then back to work went mom and dad...
    Happy to be,
    Swimmin' in the sea...

Nurse Joy stifled a giggle at the singing guitarist before her. "Is it true you specialize in Water Pokemon?" Misty asked as she and Ash followed her inside, leaving Brock to serenade the Magikarps and Goldeens in the lake.

"Yes--we mainly look after the native Pokemon inside the lake, but people come from all over the world to us if their Water types need specialized care." Nurse Joy smiled. "But that's not to say we don't care for them exclusively--no matter what type your Pokemon is, they'll get some top notch care while they're here."

She petted Tintri for a moment. "Your Pikachu looks so happy...what's your secret?" she asked Ash.

"There is no secret--just a lot of love, and mutual trust." Ash confessed as Brock returned to the group, still playing his magnum opus.

---------

After a while, Brock was resting near a bookshelf, watching other people come and go. He had made a decent amount of tips playing for the people in line, but his guitar and his fingers needed a break from performing.

One of the books on the shelf got his attention. "'Paradise in a Wasteland'...sounds interesting'"

He took the book from the shelf and flipped through the pages, stopping on a page with a picture of the lake. "Oh, I see you found the book my grandmother wrote..." Nurse Joy smiled as she came by to check on Brock. "Grandma would tell me this story often when I was little...this place used to be a wasteland, uninhabitable by anybody; and that she worked tirelessly to find out the cause. It turned out a chemical company was illegally dumping waste into the lake, and she led the charge to toughen the laws on illegal waste dumping."

"That's fascinating..." Brock smiled "Would you kindly autograph the title page?" he asked, offering her the book.

"That's okay...Grandma never liked writing in her books." Nurse Joy replied as she put the book back on the shelf. "Even if we made a note in pencil on the pages, she would scold us for writing in them."

"Then this must be the sequel..." Brock smiled as he got another book from the shelf.

"You could call it a sequel--my mother wrote that one." Nurse Joy explained. "She continued what Grandma started, and finally finished cleaning up the area by moving the Grimer and Muk that poisoned the area due to the waste dumping elsewhere."

She turned business-like again as Ash and Misty met Brock in the lounge. "But we can continue our conversation later...we have business to take care of."

"Business?" Ash swallowed hard as he imagined all kinds of terrifying alter egos for Nurse Joy in his mind to go with other interpretations of "business". Is she a mobster? A femme fatale from a detective movie? A killer android...or something?

He heaved a relieved sigh when Nurse Joy arrived in a blue Pokethlon jersey identical to Misty's, except for the number 2 on the back of the shirt and on the shorts. "We're hosting a Stamina-type Pokethlon on the lake today, and I plan to make my family proud!"

"No way! Nurse Joy, in a Pokethlon?" Misty gasped as more and more Pokethletes arrived to check in.

"Look at it this way...it's definitely a different side of Nurse Joy, but other than that, she's no different from any other competitor." Ash assured Misty.

"You're right..." Misty mused before addressing Nurse Joy again. "Bring it on! I'll be more than a match for you!"

"Good luck, Misty!" Brock called as Misty dashed to the women's dressing rooms to change. "Even though she is Nurse Joy, don't let your guard down!"

---------

"Okay, first up is the Ring Drop--you remember what happened the last time?" Brock asked as they found a seat in the stands overlooking the lake, where a large floating arena had been set up.

"Thankfully, there are no Hitmontops here this time." Ash mused. "We have Misty and Michelle in the top left, Nurse Joy and a Blissey in the top right, a Quagsire, and an Ursaring..."

In the arena, Misty briefed Michelle on the impending competition. "Instead of raw power and speed like last time, you only have to deal with raw power. "Blissey can be a literal tank, but you have an advantage she doesn't, speed."

[Consider this redemption for last time, when you never got a chance thanks to that Hitmontop.] Michelle smiled.

The whistle blew some moments later, and all four competitors ran to clash with each other. Nurse Joy's Blissey Kalila rammed the Ursaring into the water immediately with her immense strength, but Michelle struggled against the Quagsire, each Pokemon getting pushed back before charging again.

"Come on!" Brock called from the stands, whistling in support as Michelle finally knocked the Quagsire into the water with 25 seconds to go.

[Misty! Misty! Misty!] Tintri led the cheers of the other Pokemon with his fans as Michelle and Kalila desperately tried to knock each other off.

Everyone watched in awe as Michelle made one last desperate charge as the final seconds ticked away, knocking Kalila into the water with one second left on the clock! "She did it!" Ash cried, tossing his cap into the air in celebration, to the cheers of the Pokemon.

---------

"You're sure you want to do the other events even after that epic Ring Drop performance?" Misty asked as the crowds and the other competitors made their way to a course drawn out in the sand for the Relay Run. "I mean, if you're tired, I have Pearl and Spritz on standby."

[Relax--I have enough in me for a stroll on the beach.] Michelle assured Misty. [This is why we train, so we don't tire out after one event.]

She smiled. [Besides, I've never let you down in a Relay Run yet!]

"That's true..." Misty smiled as Michelle bent down for her to climb aboard.

Once all the competitors were at the start, the starting gun echoed into the air, spurring all four competitors to jockey for position through the sand and bushes around a small pool near the lake. Nurse Joy had jumped to an early lead, but Misty was not far behind as the clock ticked away, the scoreboard also recording each runner's completed laps.

"They're neck and neck!" Ash noted as Misty and Nurse Joy crossed the line to begin what was likely their last lap.

"It's gonna be close..." Brock mused as Nurse Joy and Misty rounded the last corner towards the finish line. "It's gonna be close..."

A camera flash got Ash's attention. [So close they needed to take a picture...] Tintri mused as officials reviewed the picture of the finish, to the murmurs of the crowd.

Minutes seemed to pass like hours as the crowd awaited the results. But after thirty agonizing minutes had passed, cheers went up as a 2 appeared in the first place result on the scoreboard, followed by a 7. "Wow...Misty lost by a mere two thousandth of a second..." Ash was impressed.

"You saw it before, both of them were determined to win." Brock reminded Ash as the crowds went inside for the final event.

---------

The crowd watched as the Block Smash got underway with the Ursaring breaking seven bricks. "Since Mega Evolution is allowed in the rules, I'm gonna induce you in hopes you'll get a fair chance against the competition." Misty explained.

[Go ahead--so long as I get a fair chance instead of an unfair advantage.] Michelle replied.

Misty nodded. Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...

Michelle emerged from the blue light and waves in her Mega form some seconds later. [Let's do this.] she purred as she watched Kalila break eight of the ten bricks.

"Number 7! Please approach the line!" the referee called.

"Michelle, use Brick Break!" Misty commanded.

"You can do it!" Ash called from the stands in encouragement.

Michelle nodded, then slammed the first brick with a wave of water that also shattered the other bricks! "All ten bricks were broken!" the referee announced to the roaring crowd. "Number 7 gets an automatic win, and the overall gold!"

---------

"Well done, Misty...you've truly earned that gold medal." Nurse Joy smiled as the crowds departed the medal ceremony later that evening. "I have to ask you...how did you get so strong?"

"Oh, it's not raw power that allowed us to win, but having friends that believe in me, and my belief in my Pokemon." Misty replied as Ash ran to embrace her.

Nurse Joy smiled as the group celebrated Misty's win. "I very clearly have a lot to learn--if we meet again in the Grand Pokehlon, it will be a rematch for the ages."

"And even if we're not meant to meet again in the Grand Pokethlon, it was still a fun experience competing." Misty smiled. "I would've enjoyed myself even if I had lost."

With that, she started down the path leading back to the main road. "We'll come see you again soon!"

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-06-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 87: Fight For the Light

The sun shone down on the sparkling waters of the Olivine City Harbor, illuminating the excited boy and his Pikachu making a beeline for the futuristic steel building that stood on a hill overlooking the harbor. "This is it, Tintri--all we have to do is just breeze though this battle, and we have our fifth badge."

[I don't know...] Tintri cautioned when he saw a sign near the path leading to the Gym. [The sign says the Gym Leader is "the steel-clad defense girl"...]

"Well, Steel types don't like fire, and I have Cyndy, so this should be easy as pie." Ash assured Tintri before going inside the massive building. "Hello, anyone accepting challenges right now?" he asked as he and Tintri walked through the elegant rock garden that served as the foyer, which in turn opened into a large and specious arena ringed by glittering rocks, complete with the gold and silver colored Poke Ball in the center of the room.

[Did we just walk in a gem mine?] Tintri asked as Ash approached the Silver side of the arena.

A door opening got his attention. [Someone's here!] he called as a girl with light brown hair and wearing a mint green shirt and white skirt arrived in the room.

"Oh, are you here for a Gym challenge?" the girl asked. "My name's Jasmine."

"Are you the Gym Leader?" Ash asked. "If you are, I have journeyed from afar to challenge you!"

A weak smile formed on Jasmine's face. "As much as I want to accept your challenge, I have some other things to do right now, okay?"

"Okay..." Ash slumped to the floor, dejected.

---------

"So, now what?" Misty mused as the group reunited back in a park some moments later.

"Did Jasmine say what it was she needed to do?" Brock was equally curious about what had happened in the Gym.

"If you're worried about Jasmine, travelers, she's worried about the Ampharos that creates the light for the lighthouse." a man explained as he walked by. "She's always had a big heart, but I'm sure she could use the help."

Inspired, Ash got up from the bench. "Let's go give Jasmine a hand--maybe it will inspire her to battle again!"

"Good call." Brock agreed before the group made their way to the majestic lighthouse overlooking the harbor...

---------

When the group arrived at the top of the lighthouse some time later, they saw Jasmine and an older man with similar features to her tending to a large yellow sheep-like Pokemon with a long tail, who let out a weak bleat as Jasmine comforted it. "It's okay, Amphy...I'm here."

She looked up to find the group watching. "Oh, you were worried about me?" she smiled. "I could always use a hand. Having Grandpa here to help take care of Amphy helps a little."

"I didn't get a chance to introduce myself before...I'm Ash, and these are my companions Misty and Brock." Ash replied, making a grand gesture to Misty and Brock as they waved hello.

"This must be Amphy..." Misty mused as she studied the large sheep Pokemon.

"Ampharos, the light Pokemon. The bright light on its tail can be seen far away. It has been treasured since ancient times as a beacon. Ash's Pokedex explained as Jasmine covered the large Pokemon with a blanket.

"Amphy is the source of light for the lighthouse because her tail creates quite a glow." Jasmine's grandfather explained. "The Olivine Lighthouse used to be the main lighthouse, but another lighthouse took over some years back."

"Is there any medicine we can give this Ampharos?" Brock asked as the Ampharos gave another weak bleat, prompting Luce to emerge in the room with a pop.

"We ordered some medicine from someone in Cianwood City, but neither Grandpa or nor me has any time to get it." Jasmine explained. "We can't leave Amphy alone, as there is the very real risk she could die."

"We'll go get the medicine, if you'd like." Ash offered. "This way, you can do your best to help Amphy."

[I'm going to help too!] Luce declared before glowing white.

"I don't believe it, Luce evolved to help Amphy?" Misty gasped as Luce transformed into an Ampharos.

"Not just that, but look again at the Pokedex entry." Brock pointed out a "MORE..." icon on Ash's Pokedex screen.

Piqued, Ash tapped the screen. Ampharos is capable of Mega Evolution if its owner has awakened their Heart Song. the Pokedex explained as it displayed a picture of an Ampharos with a white mane and a bushy white tail studded in topazes.

He smiled as Luce attempted to send some sparks in an attempt to help Amphy, but his solitude and pride as a trainer was interrupted by a whistle and a low rumble that made the lighthouse shake. "What was that?" Misty wondered.

Jasmine looked out one of the lighthouse windows and gasped. "A pair of crooks and their Meowth, up there!" she called, pointing out a black blimp with the familiar red R denoting Team Rocket.

Misty growled as she watched James summon Weezing. "I know Team Rocket had sunk to some new lows, but I didn't expect them to stoop THIS low..." she muttered as outside, Weezing used Smokescreen, making Amphy scream in panic.

"I've got Amphy, you guys need to go!" Brock called as he carefully picked up the squawking Ampharos in his arms. "Sh, it's okay...I'm here to help you." he assured Amphy as Luce followed him out the main entrance.

"Meet by the harbor!" Jasmine called as she and the others raced out a back entrance.

---------

[Almost there!] Luce reported as the lighthouse's main entrance came into view.

Neither Brock or Luce expected a cage to spring up from the floor. While Luce managed to leap to safety, Brock and Amphy ended up trapped inside. [Oh no!]

"Hah! Hut!" Brock tried what few kung fu moves he knew that worked in a confined space, to no avail. "Luce, can I trust you to find Ash and get help?" he asked as an arm hooked to the cage and started carrying it outside.

[What are you going to do?] Luce asked, sparking a little in concern.

"The only thing I know to do that will alert Ash and Misty that I need their help." Brock replied as he did his best to console the frightened Amphy.

With that, he started to sing a familiar melody as Luce ran to find Ash. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...

---------

...Katoradis favel siicletu edena... Brock's voice rang over the city, snapping Ash, Misty, and Jasmine to attention.
    Emusto koron zen fine, si....

"Brock! That was Brock singing!" Ash gasped as he embraced Luce, relieved his new Ampharos was all right.

"What happened, Luce?" Misty asked.

[We were on our way back to the main entrance of the main lighthouse, when Brock tripped a Rocket trap, trapping him and Amphy.] Luce explained. [He told me to find you, and then sang the Swanna Song to alert you guys he needed you.]

"We heard him loud and clear." Misty assured Luce as she spotted Team Rocket with the cage near the harbor. "Now to show Team Rocket the fury of a tsunami...."

A pop of a Poke Ball got her attention. "I'm coming too--those hoodlums will pay for trying to hurt Amphy!" Jasmine offered as she climbed aboard her own Onix. "Hagane, let's go!"

"Arbok, use Poison Sting!" Jessie commanded, her Arbok flinging the familiar poison needles at the approaching rock snake.

"I don't believe it...Hagane protected Jasmine!" Misty was impressed--Jasmine's Onix didn't even bat an eye at Arbok's attack.

"So you have a huge rock snake...but it can't go in the water!" James taunted as he and Jessie recalled their Pokemon and zip lined out to a waiting boat on the water.

As Hagane approached the end of the pier, Jasmine noticed a tsunami barrier in a work zone and got an idea. "Hagane, can you use that tsunami barrier as a brace?"

[Sure!] Ash and Misty watched in awe as Hagane anchored onto the barrier and latched onto Arbok, stretching him out farther and farther.

"Thanks, Hagane!" Jasmine grabbed a chipped off piece of rock and climbed up to the cage sitting on an overlook. After whacking the lock a few times, it opened with a pop!

"Thanks, Jasmine." Brock wheezed, still tired from using the Swanna Song.

"Anytime--consider it thanks for helping me back there." Jasmine smiled as she motioned for Brock to bring Amphy down to the edge of the pier, where Ash, Misty, and Hagane were waiting.

Once Brock and Jasmine reunited with Ash and Misty, Jasmine told Ash "Feel free to use any electrical attack you want, since Hagane won't be affected."

"I have just the one..." With that, Ash held his Mega Ring to the sky. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Misty, Brock, and Jasmine watched in awe as Luce was engulfed in red thunderbolts and red light, emerging with the white mane and topaz studded bushy tail seconds later. [This is it...the power of Mega Evolution!] Luce cried in delight. [This is what I've waited to use for so long!]

"Well, send Team Rocket a supercharged Thunderbolt with the power of Mega Evolution!" Ash called.

Time for a little payback... Brock smiled as he watched Luce shock Team Rocket with an almost white Thunderbolt, followed by Hagane throwing them out into the sky with a ping...

---------

"I'm amazed you were able to use the power of your Heart Song to Mega Evolve your own Ampharos." Jasmine smiled as they arrived at another pier later that evening. "That, and how your companion can actually sing the Swanna Song--for a long time, I thought that was just one of Grandpa's stories. But now I know those powers are real!"

"Remember that only a rare few can use the Swanna Song for real, Jasmine." Jasmine's grandfather cautioned. "But Mega Evolution is the ultimate sign of love between trainer and Pokemon, should the trainer choose to use that power."

"Can I ask you all a favor?" Jasmine asked the group. "Would it be okay if I went with you to get the medicine from Cianwood City?"

"Besides, there's a Gym in Cianwood too." Jasmine's grandfather smiled.

"Sure!" Ash replied as he scrambled aboard the boat, eager to set sail and see what Cianwood Gym was like...

To Be Continued...