Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar

[SUDS] Journeymon: Blackout

Based on the comic concept by Sabi.

The world of Pokémon. You know it, and I know it. Safe to say everyone knows about it. You live in it after all as someone who trains, breeds, interacts with Pokémon. Everyone has a different fancy, but what all keeps a shared commonplace is that Pokémon are involved. You partake in Contests, you work for a ribbon, go to festivals, and prove your finesse and grace. You breed Pokémon and maintain their prime form, you know the ins and outs of a Pokémon, how to keep them at their peak and know how to help others. You battle with them, you travel, go on a league challenge and battle other trainers, avoiding a loss to avoid that terrible black out.

But what if one day… someone didn’t wake up from that black out?

Several cases of comatose trainers abruptly exploded out of the blue, unknown cause and unknown origin. A black stain on their skin was the only sign, and the amount of testing, healing, medicine could not get rid of it. Pokémon were affected in a different way to this mystery infection, though showed no black stains. Pokémon that fell in battle, rather than go temporarily still in a form of mock fainting, nearly died. Accusations of attempted murder were on the rise as more and more cases of trainers were growing ill. There were no symptoms, no clear way of infection or how it was being spread around. Soon those who weren’t trainers began to fall ill, however had no cases of temporary comatose or near fatal conditions, they just held the stain. Battling was strictly prohibited until the cause and a cure could be found. One relation had been found though while patients were under study: Pokémon prevented the advancement of the infection.

Pokémon though, seemed to be the cause of it as well. Soon the majority of the population was marked with what was given the nickname, ‘Blackout Infection’. Half of the human population was affected by it, and numbers were growing stronger. Soon cases of trainers being found dead next to their partner’s bodies began to pile up all over the world. Autopsies proved that murder wasn’t the cause, and it wasn’t poisoning or suicide. It was the Blackout. Studies over the years yielded no cure, only a second link that Pokémon gave off a natural preventative, as long as said Pokémon were alive, and in the presence of those they bonded with. They claimed the effect was pheromones, naturally occurring chemicals in various Pokémon species, but there was no pin point factor in finding a vaccine. There was an international wide ban on battling until a cure was to be found for the Blackout.

And then in the next five years the human population dropped by a massive 65%.

Massive riots caused an influx of conflicts where many people were caught in crossfires of battling and criminal take over. People and Pokémon alike died in the largest massacre on the planet. Many people fled to rural areas, leaving large cities abandoned and the majority of regions looking nothing more than an abandoned ghost town. There was no law anymore, no government and no society.

The riots happened six years ago. Nature has begun to overtake some of its old land back, society is in shambles and everything of the old world is gone. Technology is minimal, limited to Pokeballs and whatever you can make run if you strike a miracle by finding a generator. If you’re found by a small group, the only group known to have some form of law abidance to them called BOA, they will send you to a quarantine to test for the effects of the Blackout in order to find a cure. They have little technology, but far more than anyone else. Pokémon are scarce, and some of the hardest places to traverse are seen as taboo locations due to a high chance of death.

Out of everything, one thing is for certain.

If your team, dies, you die. If you die, then your team does as well.

Why does this sound like a Nuzlocke…?
    Congrats, you’ve figured out what this is. Yes, it’s a Nuzlocke RP. Only that you have no gyms to face, no Elite Four, you need to survive in an empty Pokémon world on survival skills and wits. Everyone has Blackout, your character has it too. You’re at the mercy of the GM, who may grace or gild your performance. You’re a victim of dice rolls, critique and maybe even your fellow players. There are NPC’s to help you along the way, and should you make some friends, they may be able to save you should you be lucky enough.

How does this work?
    You play it out like a typical Role Play. How you RP will yield you certain rewards, or certain consequences. What are these rewards and consequences? Well the rewards are of many types and it’d be no fun to tell you… though we all know the consequences for performing badly in a Nuzlocke.

Pokémon Capture:
    When you enter a new area, you may request a capture session from myself, or another person who may be helping me with Co-GM duties. Since changing areas in the Pokémon world doesn’t happen often, requesting a session will happen and you will find a Pokémon. What that Pokémon is, what they know, their nature and ability, and when you find it though, could happen at any time you’re in that area. We’ll keep close to the species of each area based on the games but we may deviate some surprises here and there.

Training:
    Of course you’re going to run into Pokémon to battle and train. I wouldn’t be a fearful RPM/GM if I didn’t send a swarm of Beedrill after you! No wait, that’s cliché. Golbat. Yeah Golbat. Anyway, successfully figuring out how to beat Pokémon will earn you rewards. If I feel you’ve had a Pokémon for long enough and it has performed well, you can request for an Evolution. Like asking for a Pokémon, this could happen at any time, though in a less random amount of time as Pokémon. Also as in Pokémon anime, they have four moves, and you can request a move change as well. You may pick which move it is and how you will obtain it, or work towards trying to get a certain move and wait on an approval.

Battling other NPC’s:
    Yeah this isn’t avoidable, I mean, I gotta throw in the chance of death somewhere right? This is Nuzlocke! Sometimes you will get challenged by the odd wandering trainer. Usually they are out to steal your stuff by hindering your lifespan and killing one Pokémon, and then doing a hit and run. Others are out for blood. Some just want to test you, and aren’t out to get you. How do you know which one is which? You don’t, that’s the fun part. Not only that, but players can battle each other to help each other train, or if you really don’t like Amy-Lee’s character for slapping your character’s crushes’ rear end, then you can give them a lesson too. Successfully battling or training also yields rewards. Or death, that’s an option too.

How do I know if I’m winning or losing a battle?
    Mostly based on my judgement and a little of RNG, because who doesn’t love some RNG. Okay maybe a bit more than a little RNG. I’ll make notes about how you/your Pokémon is doing in a battle should I be controlling the NPC. If you are battling with another RPer, I will mention notes in either the SUDS thread or PM’s. Yes, I will roll for attack crits, secondary move effects and all that jazz. If you see a Ratatta, you better be scared. Those things are killers.

Saving Grace:
    These are points you can accumulate through the RP by completing hard tasks. It’s basically a get out of jail free card. If you believe you are in imminent danger and have no way of getting out alive, you may use one of these grace points and one of the befriended NPC’s may come to your rescue. Yes I said may. It’s not guaranteed but if you’re gonna die, might as well die trying. These points are few and far between but not impossible to get. You can work on saving each other if people so desire, but that is if you run into anyone else. SG points also come in the form of one of your Pokémon evolving mid-battle, an act of karma or a brand new NPC coming into the mix.

NPC’s:
    These are characters played by myself and another person who is co-GM. No I’m not gonna tell you who because that adds to my the fun. NPC’s that show up will be listed in an NPC information post, and updated as you find out more information about them. This includes some of their personality, their team and bits of background information. Paying attention to the info also may help you improve your chances should you use a saving grace.

Rewards and Consequences:
    Yes I mentioned these before, however I'll make it clear once again. Rewards may be found if you have your character looking for something. If your character finds something, I will post it as an Inventory Update in the SUDS thread. If not, nothing will be posted. If a post contains a character finding something not mentioned in a story update, consequences will happen. Consequences also happen if your character makes a poor choice, or repeated poor choices. It all depends on how you play the game.

Rules:
    • Typical RP rules apply. This is a T rated RP so you may use mild swearing.
    • No cheating and no modding. Yes these are part of typical RP rules but I will reiterate them.
    • No legendaries. They have a purpose for later on in the RP.
    • As GM what goes on goes on. I’m not really that mean, but I am creative…
    • Please do not evolve Pokémon without following the game rules, same with moves. This will be seen as cheating and I will ban-jo you out of my RP 
    • If one of your Pokémon dies, it dies. Remember this is a Nuzlocke oriented RP and loss is a part of a Nuzlocke. Play your best! Deaths will be decided based on performance with some luck. I don’t randomly go ‘kay now u dead’ because I’m feeling like an ass.
    • Have fun!

SU sheet:

Name:
    Appearance:

Pokémon: You start with one Pokémon of your choosing, any one you want. May be shiny or alternately coloured. Does not have to be basic. Add all new Pokemon you obtain here!
    Name:
    Ability: [DW is allowed]
    Moves: [Up to 4, can be anything it learns according to its Veekun page]

Inventory: [Right now this is empty, and is for keeping track of your rewards. Please keep your SU's up to date with rewards and link the posts you get them from. You have typical Trainer gear, but if you feel the need to have anything special, feel free to mention it here.]

What? That’s it for an SU? Its so small!
    Yes this is what I like to call a Blind Character SU. You’re basically posting only the information that people may know of immediately. Personality, backstory/history, other characters don’t know that, so that’s just information for you to keep an eye on. Adds to the drama and fun I say.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread.
    Last edited by Saraibre Ryu; 08-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

NPC Directory:

Spoiler:
    Code:
    HTML Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [B]Gender:[/B]
    [B]Age:[/B]
    [B]Appearance:[/B]
    [b]Personality:[/b]
    [b]Background:[/b]

[U][B]Pokémon:[/B] [/U]
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [B]Gender:[/B]
    [B]Nature:[/B]
    [B]Ability:[/B]
    [B]Moves:[/B]

Name: Kelly
    Spoiler:
    Appearance: Boy cut-short blonde hair, wearing all black except for a teal shirt under a black jacket. All of her black attire is trimmed in blue, with black and grey boots to match. She is rather short for her age, but her face scream she isn’t a person to be messed with.
    Personality: Kelly seems to have a give-all and take no crap attitude from anyone. She commands a small group of other trainers by sheer power alone and refuses to back down from a fight. Having this much of a power ego often gets her into trouble, but she isn’t dumb enough to get herself killed.
    Background: Nothing about Kelly is known, other than she works with a group known as ‘The Wake’. She first appeared as an aggressor when attacking a girl.

Pokémon:

Name: Nightshift
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves:

Name: Mancer
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate
    Moves:
    Poison Sting

Name: Unknown
    Spoiler:
    Appearance: She has short, sandy brown hair often tied back in the shortest pony tail imaginable. She has hazel eyes that seem to be full of life, and a grey and green backpack strapped over her shoulders at all times. The girl wears a black wind breaker with a trim of grey over a pale blue fleece. Her pants are black slacks and on her feet are a pair of well used, but very durable hiking boots. She has a fanny pack on her left hip.
    Personality: This girl first seems timid, and fearful of confrontation, willing to bargain her way out of a battle rather than put herself in immediate danger. When that is unavoidable, she seems to freeze.
    Background: Nothing about this NPC is known, other than that she was running from members who call themselves part of ‘Wake’.

Pokémon:

Name: Grind
    Ability:
    Moves:

Name: Unknown
    Spoiler:
    Appearance: A tall male who hides any athleticism under a heavy blue sweater and cotton, olive cargo pants. He has gloves on that have been modified to be fingerless and wears waterproof boots. He bears a pair of specialty diving goggles and has short brown hair that is messily boy cut short. His eyes are brown and seem hardened from the recent events.
    Personality: He seems to be straight to the point so far, but has a hint of laid back caution to him.
    Background: Everything about this NPC is unknown. He first appeared to Derek and Quinn while they met on the beach in Slateport, claiming the key Derek’s Azumaril found was his.

Pokémon:

Name: Mow-D
    Nature: Calm
    Ability:
    Moves:

Name: Tania
    Nature:
    Ability:
    Moves:
    Last edited by Saraibre Ryu; 08-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Aaaaaand posting is allowed gogogo.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    This is quite against my better judgement.

Name: Derek Chase

Appearance: Derek Chase is a little on the short side, standing at about 5'6". However, he's built like an armored truck, all slabs of muscle built for function, not show. He has a bit of a tan, with a shock of unruly brown hair and eyes the deep color of grass. Against all odds, he has an infectious, kind smile.

Pokémon:

Name: Athena the Azumarill (F)

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Huge Power

Moves:
    • Waterfall
    • Aqua Jet
    • Ice Punch
    • Return

Inventory:

Bleh SU is Bleh. I hate appearances.
    Last edited by Death's Spook; 08-02-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!

You are in and I'm assuming Athena is a female. Could be wrong though.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    You are in and I'm assuming Athena is a female. Could be wrong though.
    There. I specified.
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Could this world be compared to that of The Book of Eli?

Name: Jacob
    Appearance: Average height, with pale skin and medium length, shaggy, brown hair. Not as muscular as most guys his age, but strong enough to get by. Usually wears all black clothing, jeans, Tshirt, jacket, though may occasionally swap the tshirt for a red or white one. A pair of black headphones sit around his neck, with the chord going through his shirt to his pocket.

Pokémon: Absol (Black/Dark Grey fur instead of white)
    Name: Shruikan
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Justified
    Moves:
    -Slash
    -Swords Dance
    -Night Slash
    -Psychocut

Inventory:
    Last edited by [Desolate Divine]; 08-04-2013 at 05:24 AM.

I'm vaguely familiar with the setting of the Book of Eli but I do believe so.

Also you is in.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

I'm just going to drop this here for now.

Name: Alexei Stratos
    Appearance: Alex - for this is the name the girl has come to know herself as - is a short, round faced girl with a rather small figure for her age, to the point that one could easily describe her as malnourished. Most of the figure she does have is muscle, which to her dismay isn’t nearly enough to make her notably strong.

Her dull gray eyes rarely convey any emotions, and by many accounts her facial expressions can boarder on nightmare-inducing whenever it isn’t the neutral one she forces up at all times. The fact that her black hair boarders her face often - as if it’s peeking out of the shadows - certainly doesn’t help matters at all.

The girl’s skin is more than dark enough to be able to hide in the shadows with ease, and she makes sure that most of her clothes - which, for the most part, are far too large for her small frame - do so as well. It can be noticed from a distance (whenever she can be seen) that there are a number of normal scars all over her body, and if one were to examine them closely, they would realize that she has been a victim of a surprisingly large number of difference attacks.

Pokémon: Houndoom
    Name: Killer (M)
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Moves: Flamethrower, Crunch, Protect, Shadow Ball

Inventory:
    Old Portable Radio (No Power)
    Last edited by Sieses; 08-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.