Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The (semi) Daily Music-Nerd Appreciation Thread

A few years ago, I was once told by a very bad roommate that music without lyrics had no meaning. It was never something I really thought about before, but that statement made me angry. I've spent over half of my life learning and playing music as a part of various ensembles. I would argue that the music without lyrics has more meaning than music with lyrics. Why? Music is universal. While there are many different styles of music originating from many different cultures, we can all agree on the general emotions given out by certain pieces of music. Heck, music can express emotion in ways that words are incapable of.

So, being the big band nerd I am, I decided to make a thread where I'll semi-daily post a new piece of orchestral/wind ensemble music. There will be no songs with lyrics unless it plays a very minor role in the composition of the piece.

Now, before you think that I'll be posting nothing but Mozart and Beethoven, the type of music I'll be sharing will range from the old Classical composers (like Mozart) to more modern composers like John Williams. So we'll have everything from movie soundtracks, movie medleys, game soundtracks, marches, overtures, jazz, etc. I want to cover a broad range of instrumental music and hopefully throw out some things that others here may enjoy! I for one work best with a good instrumental playlist going, maybe there are others here like that!

For the more band-nerd pieces of mine, I'll try to post some fun historical facts about them or maybe just talk about the arrangement in general and point out my favorite instruments/melodies of the piece. I dunno, whatever! Feel free to discuss and rate. xD

2. This post has been liked by:

And for our first pick of music... something we all know, we've all heard, and most of us love: The Star Wars Theme by John Williams.

It's no secret that John Williams is one of my favorite composers, and considering this is a pretty well known piece, I figured it'd be a fun way to start the thread! I'll hit some more obscure things from time to time, but for now, fun!

One of the most well-known and widely loved movie themes of all time. Arguably one of the BEST movie themes ever to be written. Can you imagine the Star Wars movies without the music? The music is just as iconic as the movies at this point. Easily one of John William's best works right here (not my personal favorite though!)

Stars: The Brass Section. Definitely the brass section. I'm a sucker for a good triumphant French Horn part, and boy, do they shine in this! John Williams loves his horns, so it's no surprise! Of course, can't forget that trumpet part at the start of the piece!

Favorite Part/s: The beginning. Does anyone even need to ask this? Also, about 1:00 in- that trumpet part. I don't know why, but I just love that part. It's funny and often overlooked since the horns have the melody there, but I love it. I'm weird.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY STAR WARS. What a cool idea for a thread! I agree; this theme song is just incredible. I used to listen to it a lot when I was younger. XD I simply adore it. <3 I also love the start, but I also love from around 1:14 when it transitions. I can see the movie playing out in my head. *v* Also just the whole thing is amazing. I love that Leia has a theme (at about 3:18). It's really sweet. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY STAR WARS. What a cool idea for a thread! I agree; this theme song is just incredible. I used to listen to it a lot when I was younger. XD I simply adore it. <3 I also love the start, but I also love from around 1:14 when it transitions. I can see the movie playing out in my head. *v* Also just the whole thing is amazing. I love that Leia has a theme (at about 3:18). It's really sweet. <3
    Glad someone has interest in this thread! I debated a good hour before decided to give this a shot. xD I know my music tastes differ from many of my peers, so it was a bit of a "I dunno" situation. I think a lot of people are just so used to the pop stuff that they don't pay attention to the instrumental stuff- not that they don't like it, they just haven't stopped to listen to it often. I'm excited to share a healthy mix of my band geek picks, movie stuff, and game stuff.

The best of the movie soundtracks will easily bring images from the movie to your head. xD I know some of John Williams' other themes are also incredibly effective at this. <3 He's just a brilliant composer. His music also makes for some great homework music. xD So inspirational and energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    Glad someone has interest in this thread! I debated a good hour before decided to give this a shot. xD I know my music tastes differ from many of my peers, so it was a bit of a "I dunno" situation. I think a lot of people are just so used to the pop stuff that they don't pay attention to the instrumental stuff- not that they don't like it, they just haven't stopped to listen to it often. I'm excited to share a healthy mix of my band geek picks, movie stuff, and game stuff.

The best of the movie soundtracks will easily bring images from the movie to your head. xD I know some of John Williams' other themes are also incredibly effective at this. <3 He's just a brilliant composer. His music also makes for some great homework music. xD So inspirational and energetic.
    Yeah I totally know what you mean. I think it's safe to say that most people here would listen to at least some form of instrumental music. (Definitely Pokemon OSTs.) I listen to tonnes of instrumental stuff. It's awesome when you need to focus but don't want lyrics in your ears. Although I tend to work well even with words anyway.

For sure. :3 He is! Omg yes, homework music. xD Just make sure you don't accidentally start quoting Star Wars in an essay, haha.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Neko, your very bad roommate needs a good slapping. Even beyond soundtracks, they could learn to give groups like Explosions in the Sky, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, and Godspeed You Black Emperor a listen every now and then. Sure, some of that music is strange, but it's meant to be open to interpretation. And heck, Explosions in the Sky can get downright very emotional without blabbing a single word.

Anyway, Star Wars theme.

This is a timeless classic. People remember this before we were born and I'm quite sure they'll remember it long after we're gone no matter what kinds of prequels, pre-prequels, sequels and sequels to sequels they come up with. I definitely did NOT appreciate Star Wars enough when I was younger and I really should have.

If I ever have kids, I'm definitely making 'em watch some Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Neko, your very bad roommate needs a good slapping. Even beyond soundtracks, they could learn to give groups like Explosions in the Sky, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, and Godspeed You Black Emperor a listen every now and then. Sure, some of that music is strange, but it's meant to be open to interpretation. And heck, Explosions in the Sky can get downright very emotional without blabbing a single word.

Anyway, Star Wars theme.

This is a timeless classic. People remember this before we were born and I'm quite sure they'll remember it long after we're gone no matter what kinds of prequels, pre-prequels, sequels and sequels to sequels they come up with. I definitely did NOT appreciate Star Wars enough when I was younger and I really should have.

If I ever have kids, I'm definitely making 'em watch some Star Wars.
    Yeah, thankfully that roommate is long gone from my life. Music by its very nature is the essence of emotion. You cannot have music without some form of emotion within in. Whenever I play my instrument, I have to play with emotion to match that of the arrangement. Even the slightest changes to how I play can instantly change the emotion of the song. It's not something to take lightly.

And I wasn't a big Star Wars fan- I'm still not- but I always have loved the music. John Williams is a musical genius. It's hard not to love his music.

Yeah I totally know what you mean. I think it's safe to say that most people here would listen to at least some form of instrumental music. (Definitely Pokemon OSTs.) I listen to tonnes of instrumental stuff. It's awesome when you need to focus but don't want lyrics in your ears. Although I tend to work well even with words anyway.

For sure. :3 He is! Omg yes, homework music. xD Just make sure you don't accidentally start quoting Star Wars in an essay, haha.
    I can't work on anything writing-related with lyrics in the background. I end up writing the lyrics in without thinking. xD

And who said putting Star Wars quotes in would be a bad thing?

Okay, on to the next piece of music!

This is a band arrangement/medley from Princess Mononoke arranged by Takashi Hoshida .

Honestly, this is a gorgeously arranged piece of music. I've seen the movie, but am not familiar with the Original Soundtrack. I'm sure this arrangement does it justice though.

Stars: The Oboe- I can't get enough of the oboe parts in this piece- so beautifully performed!

Favorite Parts: I'm biased and love Horn Solos by nature (even if their players are high-maintenance and can be difficult to work with art times). So definitely the French Horn solo around 3:20- especially with the oboe part!. The main theme around 7:50 that is also played towards the beginning of the piece. It's just so dramatic. It makes me want to watch the movie again.

I love the music from this movie. :D However, I prefer this version of the track... At least, I think it's the same track. XD May have a few differences.

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Studio Ghibli film. C: It's so awesome. This theme is so amazingly composed and I've always adored it. And wow! This movie turns 20 this year.

I love the music from this movie. :D However, I prefer this version of the track... At least, I think it's the same track. XD May have a few differences.

Princess Mononoke is my favourite Studio Ghibli film. C: It's so awesome. This theme is so amazingly composed and I've always adored it. And wow! This movie turns 20 this year.
    The version I posted is a medley from the movie- wind ensemble arrangement at that.Not the same track. Medleys contain various themes from a movie- not a single track/theme. Not meant to be the original score. xD For example, I don't hear the entire section with the horn solo and whatnot in the video you posted. Just the main theme. That's why I love medley arrangements- it's got various themes from the movie in one score. Usually the best themes, too.

Trying to vary what kind of arrangements I post from original movie soundtracks, wind ensemble arrangements, medleys, etc. Give a little appreciation to different styles and instrumentations. I don't want to do post nothing but OST tracks- so if I find a good medley or non-OST arrangement, I'll post those too! I'll do some game stuff and some true band-nerd stuff too.