Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Popular series you tried but couldn't get into

Were there any television or Netflix series you watched for a little while but couldn't get into despite their popularity/ratings or what other people told you?

My friend and I tried to get into Arrow and we watched most of the first season, but we pulled the plug on it when we both agreed we really weren't enjoying it anymore. A lot of Arrow feels drawn out, there's way too much emphasis on Oliver's time on the island, and the past and present gets muddled together that doesn't flow right and gets very confusing. I also didn't think the acting was all that great. Some actors are fine, but there are many that feel too artificial. Some of the action scenes were great, but they felt too few and far between.

Senior Moderator

This show, is not so much popular, but moreso saturates one channel for 80% of it's block. And that show is: Teen Titans GO. This show is a gargantuan middle finger to everyone watching, and to old fans of the old show, and shows it has caused to become cancelled. This is nothing but random outburts of hitting things, drier humor than a year old cracker, and teaching kids to cheat. Not a show worthy to even grace a poo.

Can't think of any shows atm, but i will come back and edit when i do.

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

I see where you're coming from with Arrow. Personally, I think the first season was pretty good, the second season was amazing, the third mediocre and the fourth abysmal in every way. It's gotten so bad that I'm giving season 5 the three episode rule, so if its quality is anywhere near the garbage that was season 4, I'm not bothering, even though I'll still watch the other shows in that universe.

I couldn't watch The Walking Dead. I really enjoyed the first season, but I got so ridiculously bored halfway through the second season that it became too much of a chore to watch, so I dropped it. That's the only show so far that I've actually dropped, which says a lot.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

Senior Moderator

I was into Once Upon a Time for a while, but then it started to get really confusing around Season 2 (and at the rate they're adding new characters, it's gotten even more confusing...)
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    I was into Once Upon a Time for a while, but then it started to get really confusing around Season 2 (and at the rate they're adding new characters, it's gotten even more confusing...)
    They are also ruining classic characters but I digress.

For me, Vampire Diaries. A few years ago, I streamed it until about halfway through season two, ended for the night and just never went back. That speaks for itself. I've heard that it gets bad later but I'll give that what I did get through is far better than the books they are based off of if you can believe that.
    I think when I got over Twilight I got over the whole teenage vampire thing in general.

Also The Walking Dead. I watched the first season, primarily to see one of my favorite actor's cameos. He turned out to be the tank zombie in the pilot who gets a bullet to the head literally 3 seconds after he arises. By then I was interested enough to want to see the main character, Rick Grimes find his family. At the point where they wanted to return to Atlanta for that jerk, I was done.
    I never was huge on zombies.

I don't know to the extent to which it counts because I was into it, but there is also Grimm. I fell out of it early in like the 4th season because it felt like it was getting gimmicky. Yet for some reason I'd neglected to unfollow the official Twitter account so I have an idea of what happens since and am not impressed.

There have also been a couple of shows that I failed to get into initially but upon giving a second chance had a different opinion.
    - Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    My mom used to have the DVDs and practically shoved them in my face, sometime when I was in high school but this was before Twilight and it was Twilight which got me into vampires. So when I watched the pilot it just didn't appeal to me.
    Interestingly, I only went back to it years later (2013) after I'd started watching the spin-off Angel and got to the Faith arc, by which time the crossover information was difficult for me to follow.

- Once Upon a Time
    It just didn't initially hold my attention once Grimm came out but I started to watch it again (or more accurately catch up) when my best friend started watching it. We follow it together now and had enjoyed it's second and third seasons particularly but are less than pleased with their most recent storylines. This new season seems to have promise though.

Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post
    This show, is not so much popular, but moreso saturates one channel for 80% of it's block. And that show is: Teen Titans GO. This show is a gargantuan middle finger to everyone watching, and to old fans of the old show, and shows it has caused to become cancelled. This is nothing but random outburts of hitting things, drier humor than a year old cracker, and teaching kids to cheat. Not a show worthy to even grace a poo.
    I loved Teen Titans so very much. Teen Titans Go is a blight upon this earth and I want it to leave and never come back. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST CONTINUE TEEN TITANS?

I tried to get into Sons of Anarchy and sort of couldn't. I also tried to get into Assassin's Creed and while it was fun for a bit, it quickly got repetitive. I understand that the first one isn't as good as the others though. I remember watching True Blood's first episode which was terrible and I just couldn't stop laughing at it the whole way through. I also tried to get into Attack on Titan but I didn't get far. I still want to watch it but I have a feeling that I'll need to watch heaps more before I'll like it. I do like Adventure Time, but I couldn't get that "I THINK YOU'RE THE BEST THING" relationship with it.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I couldn't watch The Walking Dead. I really enjoyed the first season, but I got so ridiculously bored halfway through the second season that it became too much of a chore to watch, so I dropped it. That's the only show so far that I've actually dropped, which says a lot.
    AGREED, I actually dropped out of watching the Walking Dead during the start of the fourth season and meant to come back to it, but never did.

The first season was great, but yeah, they're stuck on the farm for the entire second season and it does get very dry and drawn out. There were really only a few things that kept me interested enough to keep going, and it at least got me through the third season until I just felt like so little storyline progression was going on from each episode into the next.

Around the fourth season, I was forcing myself to watch it just to stay on top of it with everyone else... but gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    I feel like Once Upon a Time could have been so much better, because like you said, it started off really well, and then just got to be a muddled mess. That's another one that I dropped out around Season 2 and just didn't get back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I tried to get into Sons of Anarchy and sort of couldn't.
    Don't feel bad, I dropped out around, you guessed it, Season 2 (that seems to be a very common time for me to quit watching a series). That was mainly because I was watching it with my friend Tommy, he skipped ahead on his own and since he didn't want to watch the same episodes again, I just stopped watching it, also. Eventually he quit as well.

I think the problem there was it really didn't feel like that much was changing from episode to episode. It was pretty much the same issues and conflicts over and over and it did get very dry as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Don't feel bad, I dropped out around, you guessed it, Season 2 (that seems to be a very common time for me to quit watching a series). That was mainly because I was watching it with my friend Tommy, he skipped ahead on his own and since he didn't want to watch the same episodes again, I just stopped watching it, also. Eventually he quit as well.

I think the problem there was it really didn't feel like that much was changing from episode to episode. It was pretty much the same issues and conflicts over and over and it did get very dry as time went on.
    I only went for a few episodes before I stopped actually. I couldn't really get into it in the first place. xD And darn, that sucks. I understand that completely!

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    AGREED, I actually dropped out of watching the Walking Dead during the start of the fourth season and meant to come back to it, but never did.

The first season was great, but yeah, they're stuck on the farm for the entire second season and it does get very dry and drawn out. There were really only a few things that kept me interested enough to keep going, and it at least got me through the third season until I just felt like so little storyline progression was going on from each episode into the next.

Around the fourth season, I was forcing myself to watch it just to stay on top of it with everyone else... but gave up.
    I've heard of a lot of people that stopped watching it around then, so maybe season three is worse, which just makes me even less keen to even give it another try.

Literally nothing of note happens in the second season from I think the second episode onward. I already got some of the events spoiled for me (by myself, because I wanted to see if the story was going anywhere), so at that point I just felt like there was no need to pick it back up. And then I read that one of the characters I liked most at that point had died as well, so any slight incentive I had to start watching again was taken away.

My friends talk about it in school all the time (only really when it's airing, though), and whilst I'm sad that I can't talk about it with them, I just don't care about the show enough to give it a second chance as well. It's a shame though, because I thought the first season was great.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Arrow
    I watched the first three seasons. Season 2 was amazing and season 1 was pretty good. Season 3 was meh, and I lost interest by season 4 with just about every character dying then coming back to life.

The Walking Dead
    I watched the first season and stopped there. Just couldn't.

Misfits Season 4 Onwards
    I loved seasons 1-3, and have tried numerous times to watch 4 and 5. But its just not the same. I managed to get two episodes into season 5 but just couldn't. I'll always love the first three though.

Friends
    I actually want to get into it, but know that I don't have time right now. Maybe when I am done with uni for the year.