Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

I could designate Gotta Watch'em All as a team event, unless you'd prefer it to be its own event...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    The team event is a single project spanning all four weeks... I don't think it'll really cramp people's schedule too much.

My idea of a team narrative featuring each member might be a little heavy on the actual writer, but I don;t think it'll be too bad if the teams manage it right.

Any ideas what else we could do?
    This whole thing is the team event...lol. We shouldn't add more to something we are testing out. We just need to work with what we have and see how things go. And if it turns out to be really good then we can add more to it for next time. It's not a matter of managing it right it's a matter of trying to cram so much in so little.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    This whole thing is the team event...lol. We shouldn't add more to something we are testing out. We just need to work with what we have and see how things go. And if it turns out to be really good then we can add more to it for next time. It's not a matter of managing it right it's a matter of trying to cram so much in so little.
    Because so far, the only difference between PXFIRE and WAR is the point system and GWEA. We aren't really trying anything new. Also, I recall quite clearly that in WAR, there was a pretty strong feeling that being in a team didn't mean as much as it should. Most of the time people joined a team simply to be able to participate, and then just went off to play the individual categories. Teams need to have activities that force them to work as a team rather than just a slogan for collecting points under. What's the point of forming teams if you don't actually treat them as teams? everyone going off and doing their own thing isn't being a team, working together to reach a common goal is, and from my experience in WAR, "collecting points so our team wins" wasn't the best at making us connect as a team.

Also, how the heck are we going to find out if a team event "turns out to be really good" if you don't actually put it in there to test it? why should we go little with this? this is going to be a major event that lasts an entire month, what reason is there to go little? If you're always afraid of going too far, you'll never actually discover your limits. We shouldn't be conservative with new ideas in this because, as you say, we're testing things out. We can't expand our horizons if we stick with what we know works.

VPP

Yes but the difference is PE2K had way more people where as here we don't. And with this we trying to put emphasis on team work and working together. It's easy for things to get lost with everything going on. Not only that we already have about 8 events going on. Its a lot of work to do several events each week along with making sure all the judges are getting their results in in a timely fashion.

Yes but the difference is PE2K had way more people where as here we don't. And with this we trying to put emphasis on team work and working together. It's easy for things to get lost with everything going on. Not only that we already have about 8 events going on. Its a lot of work to do several events each week along with making sure all the judges are getting their results in in a timely fashion.
    What does PE2K have to do with this? I'm specifically referencing the WAR we had Here on PXR, and I'm quite aware this forum isn't the most populated. And I can tell you, as a participant, the "team building" system WAR had was terrible. Between the time I joined at the start of WAR II and the end, my team leader stopped showing up and half the team never talked to each other. There wasn't any incentive to actually work together because every category was based on individual work.

Speaking of those events, I'm fairly certain not every member is joining all 8 events. Unless you're one of the more gifted people, people are at max going to be in about 3 categories each. and some will probably be in only one. Because a team event would be a single project spanning all four weeks, there's plenty of time to work on it without feeling overwhelmed. This includes those running the event/judging the team event as well. you don't have to worry about checking it every week, it's a one time thing that happens at the very end.

But if you're still not convinced, how about another idea: let's incorporate it into something we're already doing: Team themes. Each team has to come up with their own theme anyway, why not make their team spirit a little competitive? Team leaders and members are challenged to produce art, writing, jokes, memes, comics, Anything that shows off team spirit and cooperation. No one's requiring anyone to actually do anything, and its entirely based off of how well a team can come together under a central idea. At the end we can have a grand time showing off how awesome our team is, after all the normal judging is done so the leaders don't have to be bogged down.

(I actually like that idea a lot better than my other one, it does a better job of building up team spirit while reminding people that we're here to have fun, not just win)

VPP

But if you're still not convinced, how about another idea: let's incorporate it into something we're already doing: Team themes. Each team has to come up with their own theme anyway, why not make their team spirit a little competitive? Team leaders and members are challenged to produce art, writing, jokes, memes, comics, Anything that shows off team spirit and cooperation. No one's requiring anyone to actually do anything, and its entirely based off of how well a team can come together under a central idea. At the end we can have a grand time showing off how awesome our team is, after all the normal judging is done so the leaders don't have to be bogged down.

(I actually like that idea a lot better than my other one, it does a better job of building up team spirit while reminding people that we're here to have fun, not just win)
    I don't mind this idea. It's a neat incentive to actually work as a team rather than join a team and participate solely for yourself.

By the way, I don't think Caite wasn't convinced. I just think she's looking out for us. We should definitely make sure that we don't bite off more than we can chew.
    τι ζωή

That's all fine and dandy but you just have to be careful not to put too many restrictions on people or they won't want to do anything. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but we just need to be careful with this. There will already have a theme for the challenge and then having to add something about the team that could just be too restrictive for some people and it might put them off. Some people may not be able to come up with something and then just say screw it and then not bother to enter something or even worse just drop out altogether. We want this to be fun and not work. We're doing all the work now so people can have fun later. Trust me you might not think it but even after 4 weeks by the end of this, you will feel relieved because you're not having to worry about getting something in or making sure your team is still going.

8. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Totally this! It sounds fun and people would definitely show a lot more team spirit, also. I know during the WAR, some teams had this going on, but I think having something that specifically encouraged people to go all out in team spirit would be even better.

That's all fine and dandy but you just have to be careful not to put too many restrictions on people or they won't want to do anything. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but we just need to be careful with this. There will already have a theme for the challenge and then having to add something about the team that could just be too restrictive for some people and it might put them off. Some people may not be able to come up with something and then just say screw it and then not bother to enter something or even worse just drop out altogether. We want this to be fun and not work. We're doing all the work now so people can have fun later. Trust me you might not think it but even after 4 weeks by the end of this, you will feel relieved because you're not having to worry about getting something in or making sure your team is still going.
    I think that's why a team spirit battle would work, because there aren't any restrictions at all. (apart from the usual maturity level stuff) people can be as creative, silly, and fun as they want to show off their team. Judging methods for team spirit would be kept purposefully ambiguous to the teams so they don't fee like they have to do it in a certain way. They can do it their way.

And even better, because it would be entirely based off of member interest, this first round of PXFIRE would be a great testing ground to see how many people really get into it or if maybe next year we need some other idea.

VPP

I think that's why a team spirit battle would work, because there aren't any restrictions at all. (apart from the usual maturity level stuff) people can be as creative, silly, and fun as they want to show off their team. Judging methods for team spirit would be kept purposefully ambiguous to the teams so they don't fee like they have to do it in a certain way. They can do it their way.

And even better, because it would be entirely based off of member interest, this first round of PXFIRE would be a great testing ground to see how many people really get into it or if maybe next year we need some other idea.
    I'm for it. I'd say once teams are put together and leaders/co-leaders are set, the team event can be announced. I think it will have solid results. I just like the entire idea of teams actually having something to do besides simply being a title for a participant to carry.
    τι ζωή