Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I don't know what's supposed to go here. Pokeman's Avatar

Well, uhh... My first scratch. Yeah. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post

Well, uhh... My first scratch. Yeah. I think it turned out pretty nice.
    It's pretty good considering it's your first. :] In most places where you have bone-coloured parts, the outlines are a little too light. Like with the sprite itself, you have to shade outlines according to the light source. Most of your shading is pretty minimal and it's also hugging the outlines, which is not usually how you want to shade things. For instance, on the wings, you have layers of light, medium and then dark shading. If you have a look at this charizard sprite, you can see that the shading for the wings comes more in "sheets." It's a large blob of light shading, then on the dip where light wouldn't touch it, there's dark shading.

Replicating this is a good idea. :] For other parts of the shading, make sure you shape them according to whatever you're shading and also remember not to make it hug the outlines. It's important to shape your shading because that's what gives definition to the shapes you're shading. For example: look at that charizard's leg. The lighter shade is rounded over the thigh, then it drops off into a darker shading because there would be less light on that spot. It gives the effect of a shape. Taking a look at similar shapes on sprites will help you learn how better to shade. :] Nice job so far though!

~SF.

3. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Wait, so were these sprites sprited by you? XD I assume so. I quite like them, but I don't have any image to go off so I can't really compare them to see how well you did. XD But they look pretty neat. :D The use of dithering on the second sprite makes it have an older sprite feel though; I'm not sure if you were going for that or not. I feel like you should have used the darkest shading in more places than just the back legs, and the light patch on its bump could probably be a bit more round to give it more dimension. The dark blue isn't very distinguishable, especially on the neck tags, but overall I like it. :D There's one stray pixel on the back leg though that's darker than the rest.
    Nope. I just recolored them from Arshes911's (or whoever made the sprites) sprites. :V

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Chibite View Post
    Nope. I just recolored them from Arshes911's (or whoever made the sprites) sprites. :V
    Oh, awks. XD Well, nevertheless, whatever I said about the recolouring part remains. xD

~SF.

Not a clue, man TheoreticalSelkie's Avatar

So I made a fakemon while trying to work with the no banding restriction (mostly because I read that cluster thread over at Pixelation holy cow they're scary) and I think I've gotten it. Only problem is probably colors but it's a bit hard to change it because of how linked they are.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoreticalSelkie View Post

So I made a fakemon while trying to work with the no banding restriction (mostly because I read that cluster thread over at Pixelation holy cow they're scary) and I think I've gotten it. Only problem is probably colors but it's a bit hard to change it because of how linked they are.
    I feel that that page is great for learning more about unintended banding; however, I believe that some banding is inevitable. For example, the "Spelunky" character's nose. Before it was "fixed", any "banding" that was apparently there must have been so faint that you really had to look to be able to notice. By removing that one red pixel in the fix, the poster just made it worse: he made the curve look less smooth. I think banding should be avoided at all costs, but simultaneously I feel that if it isn't semi-immediately noticeable and either doesn't harm the piece in any way or even benefits it, you should not pick at those split ends to "fix" it in risk of making it look worse. I also still see one or two cases of banding that the author missed. They're ones caused by anti-aliasing, and aren't too hard to notice.
    Otherwise, I love that page.

But I digress! Let's take a looksee...really, my major complaint is that there needs to be a buffer color between the "black" and the cloak's darkest brown. It's a slight difference, but I think it's worth a shot to see how it looks. Also, if you're using a color limit, what is it? If anything if you need to make room for a color, you could try to combine the skin color and the second-lightest flame color.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    I feel that that page is great for learning more about unintended banding; however, I believe that some banding is inevitable. For example, the "Spelunky" character's nose. Before it was "fixed", any "banding" that was apparently there must have been so faint that you really had to look to be able to notice. By removing that one red pixel in the fix, the poster just made it worse: he made the curve look less smooth. I think banding should be avoided at all costs, but simultaneously I feel that if it isn't semi-immediately noticeable and either doesn't harm the piece in any way or even benefits it, you should not pick at those split ends to "fix" it in risk of making it look worse. I also still see one or two cases of banding that the author missed. They're ones caused by anti-aliasing, and aren't too hard to notice.
    Otherwise, I love that page.

But I digress! Let's take a looksee...really, my major complaint is that there needs to be a buffer color between the "black" and the cloak's darkest brown. It's a slight difference, but I think it's worth a shot to see how it looks. Also, if you're using a color limit, what is it? If anything if you need to make room for a color, you could try to combine the skin color and the second-lightest flame color.

Went back to the drawing board and tweaked some colors. I don't have a particular color limit, but it's pretty low. Actually with the color changes, I think it looks better defined. So that's a plus to me.

9. This post has been liked by:

That does indeed look a LOT better. :> It definitely has better definition now...and actually, its a little more readable this way, too.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the concept behind this Fakémon?

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

@Speed-X
    The concept was something like lantern with wings. It's a bird, but it's kinda not that apparent until I get around to concepting the evolutions and stuff. I honestly don't know how I got there, most of my sprites start that way. In any case... MUAHAHAHAH.

I see! For some reason it reminded me of a mix between a furnace and those antique owl clocks. Sooooooo...I guess I'm wayy off the mark, then, lol. Nonetheless I look forward to seeing its evolution(s). :D

------------