@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 62: Chim-Charred

Ash smiled as Tintri fired a Thunderbolt at a target. "I have to congratulate you on winning again." he told Dawn. "The fact that you did it on a major stage, just makes it all the more sweeter--not just for you, but me, as well." He let that hang as Tails fired a Water Gun at a higher up target.

"I'm amazed that you finished as strong as you did." Dawn agreed. "Have you coordinated before?"

"Yeah--once back home." Ash replied. "But it was an unofficial partner contest with May, so it didn't really count for anything."

"I see..." Dawn mused as she watched Lola rain sparkling ice crystals onto the grass. "Maybe if being a trainer doesn't work out, you can always be a coordinator."

"Maybe." Ash smiled as he watched Diddy fire an Ember into the sky.

"How's everyone doing?" Brock asked from his vantage point on a stump.

"I've been working with my team, and Dawn's been honing appeals." Ash explained as Stormy showed Brock a ring of Sparks as an appeal.

"If you guys need a break, I could use a test audience for a tale I've been working on for the Fantasy Stage." Brock offered.

"Sure!" Ash smiled.

"Go on and get tuned--we'll be happy to give you feedback." Dawn agreed as she motioned for Kori, Lola, and Stormy to join her.

---------

The twangs of a guitar tuning up echoed through the forest as Ash and Dawn led their Pokemon to gather around the stump. "Okay...Brock mused as he fine tuned a little. "This is called 'The Faithful Fair One'. It's an adventurous tale told around the world, but I'm going to tell the Kanto version."

With that, he began. "There was once a king’s daughter so beautiful that they named her Aurelia, meaning "the golden one" Her hair was unlike any in the world, soft and fine, and falling in waves down to her feet. She always wore it like this, loose and flowing, crowned with a crown of laurels. Even though such long hair was sometimes inconvenient, it was so beautiful, shining in the sun like waves of gold, that everybody agreed she fully deserved her name."

He started a soft interlude as he continued "Now, there was a young king of a neighboring country who was very handsome, very rich, and wanted nothing more than a bride to make him happy. He had heard much about Princess Aurelia--who was often called 'The Faithful Fair One' in the rumors--that eventually, without even seeing her, he fell in love with her to the point that he could neither eat nor drink, and resolved to send an ambassador immediately to demand her in marriage."

Just then, the crash of a thunderbolt in the distance make Brock stumble over a wrong note. "What was that?" Dawn asked.

Ash winced when he saw Paul approaching the clearing with Surge. "Paul...what are you doing here?"

"I should ask the same of you, Wonder Boy." Paul shot back. "Have you failed so hard at training that you had to resort to dressing up in a silly costume and dancing around with your Pokemon like a moron?"

"Coordinating is not dancing around in a costume!" Ash retorted.

"Coordinators are not moronic, either!" Dawn agreed.

"But you call third place a strong showing?" Paul went on. "I wouldn't settle for anything less than a win, no matter what kind of competition I was in!"

"Really?" Ash shot back. "I entered under Wallace's recommendation, so I saw it as a chance to learn to be creative with my team's moves."

"So? Being creative doesn't have to involve frilly costumes and showy moves." Paul smirked.

"Oh yeah? You only tried out for the play so that you could strong arm your way to the lead role!" Ash snapped. "I entered for the sake of the experience."

He went on "Look, while we both share the dream of winning the Shinou League and challenging Cynthia, our training methods couldn't be more different. I raise my team the way I do because I love each and every one of them, and want to see them all succeed."

"Ash has a point, you know." Brock interjected. "Remember what Cynthia said back at Amity Square?"

"What do you know about Pokemon training, minstrel?" Paul growled. "Ash has his method, I have mine."

"But the way to true power is by loving and trusting your team!" Ash pleaded. "Let's duel to prove it!"

Diddy spotted Paul walking away. [Hey! Ash isn't done talking! If you don't wanna duel, just say so!]

Paul smirked at Diddy. "Okay then, Wonder Boy--we'll see whose training is better. Let's duel."

---------

"This will be a three on three singles match." Brock explained as he drew a Poke Ball outline in the grass.

"Whoever wins the coin toss will take the Diamond side." Dawn explained as she showed Ash and Paul her Poketch's coin flipper. "Arceus head is heads...Shinou League crest is tails."

"Heads." Ash called as Dawn hit the button.

"Tails." Paul called.

Dawn checked the results. "It's heads, although Ash has the option to defer."

"That's fine." Ash replied before addressing his team. "Which of you wants to fight?"

[Me!] Diddy volunteered. [I've got a bone to pick with Mr. Cocky.]

---------

A referee's whistle echoed through the clearing, signalling the battle between Ash and Paul was underway. "Diddy, use Heat Wave!" Ash called.

"Goku, use Flamethrower!" Paul commanded.

Ash braced himself as the two whorls of fire impacted in a massive explosion. "Try Sand Attack!"

Paul was unfazed by the sand flying into Goku's face. "Now would be a good time for Diddy to learn that being defeated in battle is all the trainer's fault."

[NO, IT'S NOT!!!] Ash's team shot back.

[Take that back, you jerk!] Tails barked. [If we were defeated in battle, maybe we were overmatched!]

[Or Ash went in unprepared.] Gaia suggested.

[Or the opponent had a better strategy.] Tintri added.

[But it is NOT Ash's fault!] Diddy screeched. [If Ash gets beat, the onnus is on us to get stronger and better!]

Paul just recalled Goku and heaved another Poke Ball. "Bruno, let's go!"

Tintri looked up at the massive bear Pokemon before Diddy. [Uh, are you sure you can fight something that big?]

[Relax, leader-chu--I've got this.] Diddy smiled back.

[Okay...good luck!] Tintri called as Diddy heaved a Flamethrower at the Ursaring.

"Bruno, use Focus Blast!" Paul commanded.

Ash gasped as he saw a massive yellow-orange blast of energy headed for Diddy. "Diddy, burrow underground if you can!"

"Bruno, use Hammer Arm on the ground!" Paul commanded.

Ash watched in horror as Diddy went flying into the air. But his panic initially turned to joy when he saw Diddy emerge in a flaming fury! "Wow...Diddy activated Blaze!"

Paul balked at the red aura around Diddy. This is it...this is the power I was trying to unlock all along.

"Blaze triggered because Diddy is trying his best to defeat you." Brock explained. "The cheering from Ash and his teammates allowed him to tap into that inner power."

Paul just grimaced. "Bruno, try Focus Blast again!"

He did not expect Diddy's next Flame Wheel to smash into his Ursaring, knocking him out. "NO!!!"

---------

Tintri noticed that Diddy's eyes still were an angry orange color, never mind that the battle was over. [I don't like the looks of Diddy...]

"Diddy, please stop!" Ash pleaded before rolling to avoid another Flame Wheel.

"Whoa!" Even Paul jumped away from an errant Flame Wheel.

Dawn watched in horror as Diddy's berserk fury ignited tree after tree. "This is bad...Kori, use a Whirlpool to put out the fire before it burns this forest down!"

[I'll help, too!] Tails offered as he heaved a Water Gun at a burning tree.

Ash's heart pounded as he watched Diddy set more fires faster than Kori and Tails could put them out. I've got to corral Diddy before this forest is burnt to a crisp!

He leaped onto the running Chimchar and Ursaring hugged him close to his chest. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
At this line, the damage from Diddy's fury healed in a holy light.
Emusto koron zen fine, si...

He heaved a relieved sigh of exhaustion and relief as the red aura faded and Diddy's eyes returned to normal. [What happened?] Diddy asked. [I...don't know what came over me! Forgive me for trying to burn this place down!]

"I used...my Swanna Song out of desperation." Ash explained, breathing hard all the while. "But I believe...you can control Blaze...No matter what happens...I will always believe in you..."

"But what are you going to do the next time Diddy ends up accessing Blaze?" Paul asked as Ash set Diddy down. "A superpower song can't save you every time."

"I believe Diddy has the ability to handle the power inside him." Ash explained. "He's just not at a high enough power level to control it yet."

"You're a fool to believe that Diddy can handle Blaze." Paul muttered. "If and when Diddy learns how to control Blaze, we will battle again."

Brock watched Paul storm off. "I trust your abilities and tactics wholeheartedly, Ash. I truly believe Diddy can master Blaze without side effects. But we need to get started on that training as soon as we can--your run at the Shinou League might depend on it."

Ash hugged Diddy. "I know, Brock. We'll face Paul again soon enough."

To Be Continued...