@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 73b: Double Team Turnover (part 2)

Previously, on "Pokemon Shine Diamond"...

Ash was just as dejected. "I'm sorry...I did everything I could to protect the orb. Diddy was hurt because of me..."

"It's okay..." Cynthia assured Ash. "You did more than enough. It's important not to regret the past, but look to the future."

"Yeah..." A weak smile formed on Ash's face. "We won't get the orbs back by having a pity party like this!"

"We may still have time..." Cynthia showed the group a video of Cyrus following Professor Carolina to the ruins. "The Galactic head is following Grandma. We can intercept him and at least set Team Galactic back!"

As the group arrived at the ruins, Ash buried a radar tracker in Tintri's fur. "This will let us know if you've found the Galactic boss." he explained. "If the worst happens and you fall in battle, we'll know where you are for a rescue."

Cynthia showed the Pokemon a picture of Cyrus. "This is what the Galactic boss looks like. Can you guys work together to find him?"

[Leave it to us!] Tintri squeaked as the Pokemon hurried off in search of Cyrus. [Team Shocking Yellow, let's go!]

As the Pokemon raced off with cheers, Cynthia led Ash, Dawn, and Brock into a chamber deeper in the ruins. "Let me show you three something...I don't know how useful it will be, but it's worth a look."

The group emerged into a chamber depicting a series of paintings of three familiar pixie creatures. "Azelf and Mesprit!" Ash gasped when he recognized a blue being and a pink being.

"The painting I want you guys to look at is the middle one..." Cynthia gestured to a painting of three small lights around a larger light atop what looked like a cliff. "The light in the center represents either Dialga or Palkia--it hasn't been explicitly confirmed as to which one it is--appearing at the Spear Pillar. The three lights around it are thought to be Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf."

"Interesting..." Ash mused.

"One day, I realized that there may be another way of interpreting this scene." Cynthia went on. "Could this triangle of lights actually represent a different trio? Could they be Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina instead?"

"It's possible..." Brock mused. "We have met all three. But what I don't get is the large light at the center. Does it represent something else? Could it even be Arceus, the Keeper of All that Was, All that Is, and All that is to Be? Who manifests in thousands of tales across the world to guide, comfort, and aid a hero?"

"It is certainly possible..." Cynthia smiled. "You may be onto something, here...do you know of the ancient Plates they find all over Shinou?"

"What about them?" Dawn asked.

"One of them had the following engraved on it-- 'Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One'." Cynthia explained. "I think this quote also points to the presence of another Pokémon. A Pokémon even more powerful than Dialga or Palkia combined."

"But where does Giratina fit into this?" Dawn wondered.

"I'm not quite sure how Giratina fits into this theory, but... It's said that in the Distortion World, neither time nor space are stable." Cynthia replied. "I think that tells us something about Giratina, the only Pokémon there. He has to be as powerful as DIalga and Palkia, the rulers of time and space. In some way, though, Giratina has to have a power that opposes theirs."

"That makes sense..." Dawn smiled. "I wonder what sort of people painted this?"

"Well, to the ancient peoples, Dialga and Palkia really did rule over time and space. Seeing them must have shaken the people to their very core." Cynthia replied. "This painting most likely represents those feelings of awe, wonder, and everything else. It passed that memory to countless people, eventually becoming a myth...or at least, that's my theory, as a researcher of myths."

"And one I can agree with, as a storyteller and folklorist." Brock smiled. "I can only imagine what tales the ancients told about Dialga and Palkia..."

An urgent buzz snapped the group to attention. "Pokemon down!" Ash called. "Our teams need help!"

---------

That night at the Pokémon Center, the group sighed as they reflected on the disastrous battle that afternoon. "What do we do now? Galactic got both orbs..." Dawn sighed.

Officer Jenny met the group in the lounge. "Even though our mission to protect the orbs failed, you three did an admirable job against Team Galactic. Thanks to you, you prevented even more damage from being done. The best thing to do now is to keep training and getting more powerful--there may yet be a way to stop Galactic."

"But how?" Ash wondered. "If Cyrus could wipe the floor with our teams, what good could we do against potential super-Pokemon?"

"The answer? Keep going, keep training, keep achieving your goals, and keep searching." Cynthia replied. "If you three believe in each other and your teams, there's nothing you can't do!"

"Yeah..." A smile formed on Ash's face. "Galactic may have won the battle today, but we're gonna win the war!"

Cynthia nodded. "I have to return to the League in the morning. Be on your guard, since we all have to be ready for when Team Galactic makes their next move."

"We promise..." Ash hugged Cynthia.

"Trainer's honor!" Dawn made a three fingered scout sign for emphasis.

"By the time this is all said and done, it would be worth an epic ballad." Brock smiled.

"I would be honored to hear you perform the legend of the painting in song." Cynthia smiled before departing.

---------

"Our mission is actually making progress for once!" Mars smiled as she Jupiter, and Saturn admired the Adamant Orb, Lustrous Orb and Spear Key.

A door opening snapped the admins to attention. "Boss!" Jupiter gasped as Cyrus walked in the lab.

"What can we do for you, Boss?" Saturn sheepishly grinned.

"Please explain why you almost compromised the mission, Saturn..." Cyrus began, shooting Mars a warning look as she giggled. "The hat boy with the Pikachu is even more dangerous than the minstrel--he has seen Azelf, and both hat boy and minstrel boy know the holy Swanna Song! We can't allow them to sing it!"

"What about the girl?" Jupiter asked.

"She is worth watching too, for she has met Mesprit." Cyrus replied. "To my knowledge, she can't sing the Swanna Song, but her meeting Mesprit means that she could potentially learn to sing it."

He turned business-like again. "Jupiter, I want you to find the lake guardians, and bring them here."

"Right--I'll get the Guild of Hunters on the phone immediately." Jupiter replied before rushing out.

"Boss, I wanted to report that the Fuego Ironworks have completed their experiment on the shards of the Three Heavenly Jewels we managed to salvage back in Veilstone City." Mars reported. "This moves the Red Chain project into its final stage."

"Excellent." Cyrus smiled as he departed the lab.

After rounding the corner and arriving before the headquarters control panel in his room, Cyrus smiled when he spotted the group in camp on one of the hundreds of screens. "Soon, you three will be telling the tale of my new world! Soon, all of Shinou will bow to ME! No...the whole universe will be mine!"

All of Shinou seemed to resound with Cyrus' laughter as he savored his seemingly imminent triumph.

To Be Continued...