@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 58a: Our Cup Runneth Over (part 1)

"The Contest world is on fire as Contest Master Wallace comes to Shinou!" Rhonda began. "Many of you know Wallace is the former Sootopolis City Gym Leader, and current Hoenn League Champion. Many more of you know that he ventured into Pokémon Contests, and went beyond Grand Coordinator, becoming a Contest Master. Considered to be the pride and envy of Pokémon Coordinators everywhere, Wallace travels around the world hosting the Wallace Cup, a special event open to all Coordinators from all over the world. This year's competition will take place at Lake Valor, and entries are pouring in from all over the world..."

Dawn gasped as she watched the unfolding report. "You hear that? Wallace is coming to Lake Valor! They say he's won every Contest and Grand Festival he's ever entered!"

She hurried out to the yard with Lola. "Let's go tell the boys!"

---------

"Gaia, use Energy Ball!" Ash called to his Pokemon. "Tintri, use Iron Tail!"

[HAH!] Tails blocked Tintri's silvery tail.

[Let's go out for a little spin!] Tintri smirked before spinning his tail in circles, throwing Tails across the yard.

Ash couldn't resist laughing as Tails went flying, landing at the west end of the yard. "You okay, Tails?"

[When you said Tintri packs a punch, you weren't kidding!] Tails wheezed as he waited for his vision to clear.

"Great work, everyone!" Ash smiled. "We'll make a splash at Pastoria Gym for sure!"

"Seems Tintri learned a thing or two from Nitro, Sho's Raichu." Brock smiled as he watched Lola and Tintri dance to the music from the Pokemon Center's PA system.

"I'm planning on using Electric and Grass Pokémon to get the upper hand in my upcoming match." Ash explained. "Besides, you said the Pastoria City Gym Leader is known to use Water-type Pokémon."

"That's true, so training Gaia and Tintri is a good idea." Brock replied.

"The question is, who else could I use besides Tintri and Gaia?" Ash wondered. "I'll need a backup in case either one of them fall..."

[Pick me!] Erin called. [I culd turn te tide for ye!]

Dawn smiled as she watched Ash assure Erin that she would get a chance to fight, but she wasn't ready for a Gym match yet. Ash is so cool--it helps his training style is amazing, too.

I agree wholeheartedly. Satomi agreed as she warped by Dawn's side.

She approached Ash as he tidied up the yard. "You know, I love how you give your all in whatever you do--training or something else. That, and how do you just bounce back from a loss?"

"There really is no big secret." Ash replied. "Just cheer for your Pokemon when things go right, comfort them when things go wrong, and just be there for them through it all.

Dawn nodded, and shepherded her team close to her. "I know you guys been worried about me since the Solaceon Contest. But things are looking up--we can still reach the Grand Festival if we all work hard and believe in each other!"

Dawn's team cheered as Nurse Joy arrived with the Shinou News Now crew. "Forgive me for interrupting your training, but--!" Nurse Joy started.

Ash facepalmed when he heard a familiar guitar playing an F chord. Joy, oh Joy, would you marry me now? Brock sang to the tune of a folk song. With a--!

[Oh no, big guy, she cannot marry you, for she has a lover of her own!] Kage shot back as he dragged Brock away, guitar and all.

"So, what can we do for you, Rhonda?" Ash asked, trying oh so hard not to laugh at Brock's humiliated look.

"Have you guys seen Wallace around here at all?" Rhonda asked.

"No, why?" Dawn wondered as she combed out an errant tangle. "Do you want to interview him, or something?"

"Who's he?" Ash wondered.

Rhonda showed the boys a back issue of PokeChic depicting a young man with blue-green hair in a sailor-like suit with a Milotic. "He is one of the very few Contest Masters in the world."

"Every coordinator, myself included, wants to meet Wallace at least once in their lives." Dawn explained. "To give you an idea of how good he is, a Contest Master is beyond a Grand Coordinator or a Divine Coordinator. Only a select few coordinators ever get that good."

"So a Grand Coordinator is someone that won their first Grand Festival." Brock guessed. "A Divine Coordinator has won a lot more, and a Contest Master has won too many to count?"

"Something like that." Rhonda replied. There are more ranks of coordinator between those three ranks, however."

She changed the subject. "Wallace regularly travels across the world holding and promoting Pokémon Contests bearing his name, the Wallace Cup. The ribbon you win there, the Aqua Ribbon, counts as an official ribbon at any contest anywhere in the world. As I said in my earlier report, this year's Wallace Cup is taking place at Lake Valor."

"It's worth a shot." Brock mused as he showed Dawn MapNav. "Lake Valor is right on the way to Pastoria City."

"Sign me up, then!" Dawn smiled. "Where is Wallace now? I've always wanted to get appeal advice from a master!"

"Well, today is his day off." Rhonda admitted. "His whole staff won't tell me where he is, but sources tell me he's somewhere near here. Besides, a piece on what Wallace does offstage would be priceless."

As the crew turned to leave, she told the group "If you see Wallace anywhere, let me know!"

"We will!" Ash smiled back as he waved goodbye.

To Be Continued...