Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Extra Clever Earthbound Spirit Gef's Avatar
    I mean, I could always consider leading something low-key here, in the name of dashing the place with a bit of liveliness. Maybe we can toss around some ideas for roleplays any of you guys might have; is there anything you'd like to see come to fruition that you think would be enjoyable to write collaboratively?

A lovely Secret Santa gift year round!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I've always wanted to do a collaborative really hardcore fantasy story. Like just fantasy ALL THE WAY.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    We've actually got a few semi active Roleplays, Born, if you're looking to get into anything
    I haven't visited the RP section in awhile. I'll have to do so. Even so, I may hold off for a bit. I've got to prep myself for the PXFIRE RP. xD
    τι ζωή

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Born View Post
    I haven't visited the RP section in awhile. I'll have to do so. Even so, I may hold off for a bit. I've got to prep myself for the PXFIRE RP. xD
    Just check it out while you can there's some good rps here.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Just check it out while you can there's some good rps here.
    Will do. Thanks for notifying me.
    τι ζωή

Extra Clever Earthbound Spirit Gef's Avatar
    I played around with the idea of a high-fantasy RP, just in the context of what I think would make a unique roleplay premise and what I personally wanted to write, and I came up with this:

The players control members of the fae race, tiny arthropodal humanoids with antennae, wings, and other creepy-crawly features, and they would likely wield or at least have access to magical means. Certain fae-folk would form a questing party to essentially raid this huge manor, overwhelming for your average five-to-six-foot human being, never mind little bug people. Nonetheless, the queen of the faeries would be in attendance of a political event regarding peace treatise with leaders of the other races within this manor; she would have tasked this adventuring party with raiding initially to sort of give her an edge against her opponents. It's a morally-questionable reason for summoning your characters but, on the bright side, any goodies they will come across, inevitably, they get to keep! But essentially the RP would require in-character scheming and teamwork skills as the swashbucklers respond to orders from their queen to be secret nuisances during the event. There would also be secret intrigue plots the characters could tune onto and follow at different points, revealing more about the political situation and, possibly, the queen's real motives. I'm thinking I'd also like to encourage some creative writing skill-building with little writing events in the out of character thread where participants or even winners could gain in-character rewards.

There'd be a lot to it but it'd remain contained with a set ending, influenced by how creatively situations are addressed by the cast. The prevailing tone would be that of an old Brothers Grimm-style fairy tale while also being inspired by fantasy JRPGs; I think members of the party could fill classes (i.e. knight, rogue, bard...), but I'd want these to be player-selected, or at least more than just claiming one of six or seven pre-selected categories. The other fantasy races would of course be inspired by the classic elves, dwarves, etc. but would incorporate animalistic traits, just as the faeries resemble bugs. I imagine, in fact, the elves would be insidiously reptilian; forked tongues and slits-for-eyes!

A lovely Secret Santa gift year round!

Quote Originally Posted by Gef View Post
    I played around with the idea of a high-fantasy RP, just in the context of what I think would make a unique roleplay premise and what I personally wanted to write, and I came up with this:

The players control members of the fae race, tiny arthropodal humanoids with antennae, wings, and other creepy-crawly features, and they would likely wield or at least have access to magical means. Certain fae-folk would form a questing party to essentially raid this huge manor, overwhelming for your average five-to-six-foot human being, never mind little bug people. Nonetheless, the queen of the faeries would be in attendance of a political event regarding peace treatise with leaders of the other races within this manor; she would have tasked this adventuring party with raiding initially to sort of give her an edge against her opponents. It's a morally-questionable reason for summoning your characters but, on the bright side, any goodies they will come across, inevitably, they get to keep! But essentially the RP would require in-character scheming and teamwork skills as the swashbucklers respond to orders from their queen to be secret nuisances during the event. There would also be secret intrigue plots the characters could tune onto and follow at different points, revealing more about the political situation and, possibly, the queen's real motives. I'm thinking I'd also like to encourage some creative writing skill-building with little writing events in the out of character thread where participants or even winners could gain in-character rewards.

There'd be a lot to it but it'd remain contained with a set ending, influenced by how creatively situations are addressed by the cast. The prevailing tone would be that of an old Brothers Grimm-style fairy tale while also being inspired by fantasy JRPGs; I think members of the party could fill classes (i.e. knight, rogue, bard...), but I'd want these to be player-selected, or at least more than just claiming one of six or seven pre-selected categories. The other fantasy races would of course be inspired by the classic elves, dwarves, etc. but would incorporate animalistic traits, just as the faeries resemble bugs. I imagine, in fact, the elves would be insidiously reptilian; forked tongues and slits-for-eyes!
    Hm... I'm definitely interested. While I may not be too hyped to RP such a.. strange being (it's pretty weird xD), it's a great way to broaden my horizons and attempt something new. I also like your idea to somehow include a reward system.

Here's my only concern. As Noble stated above, our community operates at a much slower pace than most. If you're expecting high activity, you MAY not get that. If you're fine with a slower paced RP, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.
    τι ζωή

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gef View Post
    and I came up with this:
    I like it! I've RPed faerie characters before and it's fun. I'm also part of the crew that feels the movie Strange Magic was awesome and sadly underrated. So this would definitely be something I could get into.

9. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Sometimes there are certain roleplays that I feel would work better on a chat server rather than a single thread on a forum... I tried running one of them before, and it was a bit hectic but also pretty interesting and different and I think everyone enjoyed. So now I'm trying it again with a different idea for a roleplay I had~ which may be slightly based off the plot for pxfire. slightly. it's much less dark though.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LKWayvern View Post
    Sometimes there are certain roleplays that I feel would work better on a chat server rather than a single thread on a forum... I tried running one of them before, and it was a bit hectic but also pretty interesting and different and I think everyone enjoyed. So now I'm trying it again with a different idea for a roleplay I had~ which may be slightly based off the plot for pxfire. slightly. it's much less dark though.
    I haven't really tried the chat-based ones that much, but from what I remember from many years back, they just weren't as descriptive and a lot of your success depended on how fast you could button-mash your responses. I remember having a character that wasn't even given a chance to fight back or respond before getting blown up in a helicopter crash just because I was putting in more detail and coming up with a clever way of responding. I honestly wasn't too crazy about that setup. Plus the god-modding and bunnying was on insane levels.

If it's on a forum, it just feels more like one of those turn-based RPGs where you can plan out your next moves and provide details before taking action rather than a button-masher game where speed is more important than quality. Not to mention you can post when you're fully ready and able to rather than having to set aside huge blocks of time for chat room RPing where you lose simply because you need to quit and do something else for a while.