garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Growling/screaming vocals ("Death metal" vocals)

What is your opinion on "death metal" style vocals?

While I can deal with them and enjoy them in some situations, I really hate when they are used in a melodic-ish song, which sadly happens a lot. The most obvious band I can think of that is an offender of this is Between the Buried and Me. I love they're instrumentals, but I always wonder how they'd be with clean vocals at times.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

This may sound weird, but sometimes I crack up laughing at how growly and beastly some of these types of lyrics sound. Some of it's okay, but I'll admit most of the time it's really over the top. I usually just forget about trying to understand what the lead singer is saying and just enough the background music and heavy bass. >:3

I'm honestly more into power metal like Sabaton, Black Majesty, Powerwolf, and that kind of thing. And that area of metal doesn't usually have the growling.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    This may sound weird, but sometimes I crack up laughing at how growly and beastly some of these types of lyrics sound. Some of it's okay, but I'll admit most of the time it's really over the top. I usually just forget about trying to understand what the lead singer is saying and just enough the background music and heavy bass. >:3

I'm honestly more into power metal like Sabaton, Black Majesty, Powerwolf, and that kind of thing. And that area of metal doesn't usually have the growling.
    Same about the understanding part. I don't ever try to interpret the lyrics, lol.

My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Same about the understanding part. I don't ever try to interpret the lyrics, lol.
    Sometimes I look up the lyrics and chuckle. There's times when they sound so evil and demonic and when you read what's actually being said, it's honestly not all that bad. XD

There's even Christian metal bands out there. Divinefire and Veni Domine are but just a few if you feel like killing stereotypes. XD

Senior Moderator

i understand them completely. i used to be into all that. kinda went out of it though, too bland nowadays

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    i understand them completely. i used to be into all that. kinda went out of it though, too bland nowadays
    I mean I can kind of understand some growling lyrics, but not many.

My Links