Try to be creative and look at different ways to approach the goals. For instance, one of my characters is going to run a small conservation area. The other is going to be traveling the world to look for pokemon to bring back safely to said conservation area. And to sell them on the black market but that's beside the point.

I'd just say to make sure you have a goal in mind when designing a character, to give him or her a purpose to not just sit around and do nothing. To be honest, I'm a little worried this rp isn't going to be very active or interactive mainly because there isn't really any bad guy for people to rally around. That's part of the reason I wanted to make an evil organization so that there would be a definitive bad guy. If you want, you could help me with that and be a bad guy too. Or even be someone who stirs up resistance to the evil organization. Like if your character's home was attacked by pokemon, but you got some evidence that people were controlling the pokemon rather then them being wild. Or maybe you had a pokemon stolen from you and you want to discover/invade their secret base to get it back.

Otherwise you could also play into all the international government stuff, maybe be some ambassador who's trying to keep nations from blowing up and going to war with each other. There's a lot of possibilities. So I'd say just think about what you want to do in the RP, then design a character who can go through with it.