Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Username: Suicune's Fire
    Likes/Dislikes: I'm pretty happy with how this turned out actually! It's a gardevoir dressing up as Officer Jenny. I decided to go with this instead of using pre-made accessories because I wanted to do something a little different, and I generally prefer scratching things.
    What challenges did you face?: Mostly just shading/lighting, including the outline darkness/lightness on the legs.

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Username: Suicune's Fire
    Likes/Dislikes: I'm pretty happy with how this turned out actually! It's a gardevoir dressing up as Officer Jenny. I decided to go with this instead of using pre-made accessories because I wanted to do something a little different, and I generally prefer scratching things.
    What challenges did you face?: Mostly just shading/lighting, including the outline darkness/lightness on the legs.
    Hey there! Sorry for the wait on this--it's been a little rough. This one will be a little more abbreviated than usual, and since you're the only entry, you received the full 100 points for the week, so scores won't be tacked on here.

This is an absolutely lovely sprite--I love how you combined all of these elements so well. The hat seems like it fits well on the head, and we can clearly see all of Gardevoir's features. All of your lighting matches, which is great.

The only thing on this that makes me pause are a design decision or two. The decision to remove Gardevoir's more dress-like lower half was a bold move! I think here, though, the right leg is a little too thin, and as you pointed out, the outline darkness exacerbates that awkward shape a little. I'd definitely have the pixel step-in be a little more shallow on the left side of that one, or at lest bow out the bottom of the right side a little more.

The colors here worked really great together. The mixing the outfit's purples with shiny Gardevoir's pale blues and greens was a great choice. You have a fantastic sense of color in all of your sprites, and that's something that I really admire.

Overall, this was a really deserving entry, and I appreciate the time that you put into it! Thanks so much for your participation.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by K'sariya View Post
    Hey there! Sorry for the wait on this--it's been a little rough. This one will be a little more abbreviated than usual, and since you're the only entry, you received the full 100 points for the week, so scores won't be tacked on here.

This is an absolutely lovely sprite--I love how you combined all of these elements so well. The hat seems like it fits well on the head, and we can clearly see all of Gardevoir's features. All of your lighting matches, which is great.

The only thing on this that makes me pause are a design decision or two. The decision to remove Gardevoir's more dress-like lower half was a bold move! I think here, though, the right leg is a little too thin, and as you pointed out, the outline darkness exacerbates that awkward shape a little. I'd definitely have the pixel step-in be a little more shallow on the left side of that one, or at lest bow out the bottom of the right side a little more.

The colors here worked really great together. The mixing the outfit's purples with shiny Gardevoir's pale blues and greens was a great choice. You have a fantastic sense of color in all of your sprites, and that's something that I really admire.

Overall, this was a really deserving entry, and I appreciate the time that you put into it! Thanks so much for your participation.
    Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! I agree with you about the legs haha. They were mighty awkward. In depictions I've seen them that thin but yes it definitely looks strange, especially with the outlines. Thanks for taking the time to write this post. :) And great job judging all the entries this season!