Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

I am technically christian, but I consider myself Agnostic. my parents didn't really care what I believed, so in the end I just decided I didn't really believe the bible and in what it says. I DO Believe there could be a god of some sort though, and I believe without a single doubt that there is an afterlife (As well as ghosts, spirits, and that sort of thing). I just can't believe what the bible says, no matter how much I used to try (I gave up a long time ago).

To be honest, I really dislike religion now. I UNDERSTAND NOT ALL CHRISTIANS ARE LIKE THIS, But I can't stand how so many people are against gay marriage for religious reasons, and It drives me crazy when people try to push their religion on me. I also feel like so many conflicts have been caused over religion. I HAVE NO DISRESPECT FOR RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, I even have some close friends who are very religious.

I would get into reasons that I don't believe religions, but I don't want to say anything too likely to start an argument. I already feel like I am pushing some boundries.

DM, I know you don't mind being labeled (as I just asked you xD), but I'm not sure if you want to be labeled, as in, wanting to be called a certain thing. Hopefully this is the case. xD

If the afterlife you believe in is the Christian afterlife (i.e. heaven and hell), and you accept the savior (i.e. Jesus), then I'd classify you as a Christian. Many Christians, even some on PXR, believe the church is corrupt. You may choose to classify yourself with term called "non-denominational," meaning you do not follow a denomination, that you simply believe god exists, Jesus is the savior, and that heaven and hell are real. Despite what many Christians will tell you, you can classify yourself as a Christian if you don't believe the Bible is the word of god. Many of those who are very vocal about their beliefs and believe gay marriage is wrong, abortion is wrong, etc are called fundamentalists, or those that take the Bible literally (Also known as the people I avoid). These beliefs are not totally confined to fundies though, as I've heard of a few atheists who are pro-life and against gay marriage (Though I'm not sure why, since they're both mainly religious things). It's your choice if you want to label yourself as a Christian or not. :)

However, if the afterlife you believe in is not the "Christian" afterlife, and you are not sure if there is a god, then the term you would be looking for is Spiritual Agnostic. There are two types of agnostics, however:

Agnostic Theist - Believes that humanity can not know if a god does or does not exist, but believes in god(s).
    Agnostic Atheist - Believes that humanity can not know if a god does or does not exist, but does not believe in any god(s).

Those that are Spiritual may believe in things like ghosts, spirits, the soul, the afterlife, or basically most things in that spectre (Pun intended).

Based on the beliefs you described, you seem to be a Spiritual Agnostic Atheist. Again, it is entirely up to you to decide what you want to call yourself. Personally, I enjoy labeling myself. I like to know what my beliefs are termed so I can tell people what I believe with minimal explanation. You may, however, not really care for labeling yourself. I thought I'd try and help you out if you are anything like me. xD

I hope I aided you on your possibly non-existent quest for self-identification. ;D

|||||||||

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

That sounds perfect if you take out the atheist part. I didn't say that I DON'T believe in any god, I just said that There MIGHT be a god. I honestly haven't made my mind up yet if I believe for sure if there is a god or not. The spiritual Agnostic sounds perfect though.

I suppose I'd be a very lax Christian. I don't really care that much about religion. It's there, and I recognize it, but I don't really go out of my way to do anything involving Christianity. I also disagree with many right wing conservative views that are somewhat characterized as being part of Christianity. Like, for example, I believe gay people should have the same rights as everyone else, it's something that shouldn't even be a problem.
    not that serious