View Poll Results: Would this work?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this idea would be successful.

14 87.50%
  • No, I do not think this idea would be successful.

0 0%
  • I am unsure.

2 12.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Like Dash said, we had one of these back at PS. Ours focused more on the Pokémon aspect of things, and it was quite successful. I took a few classes, and it's great to pass them. :)

However, here's my main criticism; I'd prefer to learn more about Pokémon - and maybe RPGs in general - rather than just the general pixel art field. I don't know if making Pokémon classes the 'big bad' lessons of every rank would work, because some people might get bored before they learn what to do. Also, I don't know if some people like to sprite R/B/Y style before I learn the DS techniques (although I'd like to learn both :D). One more thing is that some people might already have experience in spriting Pokémon, but feel completely out of their depth when spriting real objects/people.

I know I'm coming across like a real 'female dog', but I'm really interested in this idea, and I want it to be as easily accessible and available to everyone as possible.

2. This post has been liked by:

However, here's my main criticism; I'd prefer to learn more about Pokémon - and maybe RPGs in general - rather than just the general pixel art field. I don't know if making Pokémon classes the 'big bad' lessons of every rank would work, because some people might get bored before they learn what to do.
    If there was only one thing that I retain from my high school art classes, it would be this: you need to have a basic understanding of realism before you can successfully draw in a more cartoony and/or stylized style. While this exactly doesn't apply to this case...in order to be able to successfully make Pokemon sprites, you need to know the basic techniques in pixel art / spriting. Also, I don't plan on these classes taking very long. And since you do make a good point with the "getting bored" part, I'm going to make sure those classes aren't long...at all.

Also, I don't know if some people like to sprite R/B/Y style before I learn the DS techniques
    This is because with the knowledge you gain in the 1st rank, it's just enough to be able to better understand one of the simplest spriting styles in the main-series Pokemon history: Red, Green, and Blue. They only use 4 colors, and if you make some mistakes here and there it is a lot more excusable than it would be in any of the modern DS styles (RGB, as I've noticed, feature more prototype versions / designs of the first generation of Pokemon; also because the style isn't strict on getting the size proportions correct as they are recently).

One more thing is that some people might already have experience in spriting Pokémon, but feel completely out of their depth when spriting real objects/people.
    I don't see anything about starting to sprite real objects or people from the start...needless to say, in a more realistic style. What Objects I is bound to cover is basically going over common shapes and objects and how to effectively understand them, give or take.

I know I'm coming across like a real 'female dog', but I'm really interested in this idea, and I want it to be as easily accessible and available to everyone as possible.
    I don't think you are. What I think is that you are bringing up some good points that I'm sure a lot of other people are wondering, as well, except that you spoke out on it. :> Thank you so much! Let me know if you have any questions and/or follow-ups to my rebuttals.
    @Blaquaza

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

4. This post has been liked by:

I would love to participate in a class like this. My only concern for you is other staff: I feel like, especially if this is pixel-oriented, nobody would be able to match your level of mastery. xD You're most certainly a suitable teacher, but I don't know if you expect yourself to run this on your own, or if you want others to help you. I mean, people could help you in other areas that aren't teaching and that would be fine (such as reminding people to get work in and such) but beyond that I'm not sure. If you feel like you could run it on your own then I would encourage you to try and I'd take part in the classes myself. :]

So yeah, I'm all for it!

~SF.

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Always glad to throw in my two cents, maybe a little too glad.

To be honest, I actually agree with what you're saying now. Drastic changes of heart are my speciality, or so it seems. XD I guess learning the very core basics couldn't hurt either, considering that my scratch sprites still have a lot to improve on (mainly getting texture and shading right). And if the classes aren't too long, then I'm all for it.

Also, I suppose that starting with the R/B/Y sprites and developing could be a nice little niche. I guess if it's easier, then you may see me releasing an 8-bit version of the game I planned on releasing instead of a 32-bit version. :3

@Speed-X

Senior Administrator

Administrator

@Speed-X

I whole heartedly agree with your thoughts! I think learning the basics of art is the first step in spriting.

I think there's a lot to be done to help people start; I've certainty had an uphill climb understanding sprites and I think we can all work together to make it easier for newcomers and oldies alike!