Senior Administrator

Administrator

PXR was down (4-9-2014). Now it is not. Here's why.

Hey everyone. I'm sorry for the outage yesterday on both the forum and site.

The forum and site yesterday was down due to an outage from our hosting provider. Our hosting provider was on the bad end of a 'Distributed Denial of Service' attack yesterday (commonly known as a DDoS). These attacks do not compromise the security of our server or our websites. Rather, these attacks flood the victim with a large amount of traffic, causing the connection speed to the victim to slow down, many times causing the server to reject connections.

Though I do not believe we were the direct target of a DDoS attack, we obviously suffered the consequence of it. One thing that we, the staff here at PXR, will need to work on is getting the message out on 'why' we are out or letting you know sooner on the issues that occur. We cannot alone prevent outages from happening again, but I hope that we can implement some policy changes so that we communicate better to you all so that you understand what's going on a little bit better.

As a last note: connections today might be a little slower as our hosting provider tries to remedy the lasting effects of the DDoS. We'll try to keep you in touch if things get worse. Follow us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/pkmncrossroads) as well!

2. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Ah, alright. Was wondering what happened.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.