Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The sprite contest has officially closed! I'll be judging entries shortly. Thank you for participating and good luck to all. :D

~SF.

@Tenacity @Speed-X @Brettles @Dragon Master Mike @Dennis Jansen @Shadow Tracker Max

Finally got around to judging! The thing is, most of you get 10 points for the last category of likeness to the pokemon, considering they all look very similar. xD That perhaps shouldn't have been a category because it's easy points, but oh well! On to the grading!

GCEA ONE YEAR
    SPRITE CONTEST!

JUDGING!

Contestant: Dennis Jansen
    Spoiler:
    1) Kyogre Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 1/10
    • Neatness: 2/10
    • Effort: 2/10
    • Likeness to Kyogre: 10/10

Total: 15/40
    Comments: This sprite doesn't appear to have much effort put into it. The things is, you mostly made it a midget and took away some of its features, which doesn't constitute a pre-evolution. You're just snipping parts off and then forgetting to clean up the edges. Good try, but unfortunately it lacks in many ways.

2) Groudon Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 3/10
    • Neatness: 1/10
    • Effort: 2/10
    • Likeness to Groudon: 4/10

Total: 10/40
    Comments: It's funny because I actually liked this one more than the previous one, and gave you more points for creativity mostly due to the fact that it didn't look like its base sprite with a few edits. However, what lost you points wasn't just the fact that it's in .jpg format, which distorts the image, but that you simply stuck a groudon's head onto a riolu sprite and then copy-pasted the same arm for both arms. It's very messy and doesn't meld together at all, as well as being blurry.

Contestant: Dragon Master Mike
    Spoiler:
    Kyogre Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 4/10
    • Neatness: 8/10
    • Effort: 6/10
      Total: 28/40

Comments: Not bad! The main thing was that it was fairly standard. It looks like a kyogre with a few chopped-off features but I know you spent a long time doing the tail. So good effort. :] There are a few places where the shading should have been adjusted, such as on the chin where one of the spiky parts used to be. The shading only curls around like that because there was a protrusion there. Anyway, fairly decent entry, if not a little too simple! Nice job.

2) Groudon Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 4/10
    • Neatness: 6/10
    • Effort: 5/10
    • Likeness to Groudon: 10/10
      Total: 25/40

Comments: I cannot unsee Batman... xD I don't know why, but when I look at this sprite, that's what comes to mind. I like that you tried to go for a "babier" feel and got rid of the spikes, but that really just left it feeling naked in places. I like that you edited the head and it doesn't have the same armour plating design, but that's all you really altered. That face tho. xD The awkward mouth just makes me lol.

Contestant: Brettles
    Spoiler:
    Kyogre Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 9/10
    • Neatness: 4/10
    • Effort: 7/10
    • Likeness to Kyogre: 8/10
      Total: 28/40

Comments: Not a bad score! The fact that it didn't look like a traditional pokemon sprite and was side-on subtracted a few points from the total. It isn't the neatest sprite out there and shading is pretty non-existent, but I love that you went for a completely different approach. The dolphin look is quite accommodating for the kyogre patterning. I really like the idea, but the sprite itself isn't top-notch. But very good try. :]

Groudon Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 7/10
    • Neatness: 2/10
    • Effort: 5/10
    • Likeness to Groudon: 4/10
      Total: 18/40

Comments: This thing. Is terrifying. xD But I like it because it's different. By no means does it look like a groudon pre-evolution though. XD I marked you highly in creativity because I'd never have expected anything like it, however. It's hilarious. xD But yeah, as for the sprite itself, it's riddled with errors, the main one being, obviously, duplication. But it's a kicker.

Contestant: Speed-X
    Spoiler:
    Kyogre Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 8/10
    • Neatness: 10/10
    • Effort: 9/10
      Total: 37/40

Comments: Brilliant work. :] The sprite work itself was amazing, as is expected from you, and I loved all of it. I also liked that you went with a primal approach to the sprite; it really showed how much thought about a pre-evolution and what that would mean. The only thing I can see about it is that the fin on the left could be positioned slightly flatter, but that's more of a preference thing. I also sort of find it peculiar that there are highlights on the opposite sides of the fins to the light that shines on its head. Aside from that though, top stuff!

Contestant: Tenacity
    Spoiler:
    Groudon Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 5/10
    • Neatness: 7/10
      Total: 29/40

Comments: This is fairly cute. The design looks more like a style choice, however, as opposed to actually going with a fresh design. I can see you altered a lot, so that's a plus, and I also like the primal elements you went with. The sprite is fairly neat and nice looking, so well done for that. It doesn't look like a pre-evolution to me, though. More like a cuter regular groudon with glow-in-the-dark issues. xD

Contestant: Shadow Tracker Max
    Spoiler:
    Groudon Pre-evolution

• Creativity: 3/10
    • Neatness: 5/10
      Total: 25/40

Comments: To be honest the design looks like a cuter version of a regular groudon with a slightly misshapen head. XD I do like it, but there are many clumps of pixels that aren't very neat, and although I can see you put a lot of effort into it, it wasn't enough of a pre-evolution to score higher. Nice though. :]

And the winner for Kyogre is...

*confetti*SPEED-X!*confetti*
    With her fantabulous entry of a Kyogre pre-evolution!

Congratulations, Speed-X! Please speak with Shadow Tracker Max about your prize. :D

The winner for Groudon is...

*confetti*TENACITY!*confetti*
    With his wondertastical entry of a Groudon pre-evolution!

Congratulations to you also, Tenacity! Please also speak with Shadow Tracker Max for prize details.

Thank you to everyone who participated and I hope you had a great time!

CONTEST CLOSED!
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 07-07-2014 at 11:40 PM.

3. This post has been liked by:

Congrats on winning with Groudon, @Tenacity!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Congrats on winning with Groudon, @Tenacity!
    Thanks, same to you! :)

I'd also like to congratulate the other participants for their efforts. Good job, guys! The turnout for this competition was pretty good! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Graceful Suicune
    It doesn't look like a pre-evolution to me, though. More like a cuter regular groudon with glow-in-the-dark issues. xD
    I'll admit, I laughed. xD Thanks for the judging!

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

7. This post has been liked by:

No worries! :] Congrats again, guys. It was a good contest with a decent turn-out. 8D LET'S ALL PARTICIPATE IN THE SPRITING CONTEST FOR WAR, YES?!

~SF.