Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity
    No problem, I'll try and get that up for you early June.
    I will keep that in mind. c:

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur
    Guess I'll reserve Scraggy.
    Okay. It's a pretty good start, but make sure to focus on things on more of a pixel level than a sprite level. I get what you were trying to do there, but a lot of the lines are very jagged and a few of the shapes are really "out there."

I will add your reservation for Scraggy. :D

I think I'm going to add a link to a couple of tutorials for general pixel art. c:

Just out of curiosity, would it maybe be helpful to provide a video for how I do these? ^^; Not implying anything, just seeing what you guys think! O w O

Edit: Oh, right, I can't believe I forgot: I have Tepig finished. ^^;

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    A video would be helpful.

Will do!
    Oshawott is done, and I will reserve Cottonee for the sake of a video.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT PROGRAM JUST FREAKING DID THAT.

I recorded the WHOLE thirty minutes or so that it took to make that Cottonee, and then when I go to save the video it says there was an error.

ARGGGHHHH!! Does anyone know of a good screen capture program that can take videos that last a long time? I'm such a noob when it comes to creating videos and shizz.

------------

Fantastic; will add my feedback and such tomorrow when I get the time to. For now, i am simply posting here to announce my reservation on Petilil

------------

Okay, let's...slow down a bit. First thing's first: we've...really gotta fix the lineart on Shinx.
    You are off to a great start: you mimicked the shading relatively well.

However, a lot of the line segments are very wonky and jagged. Since I'm not too great with explaining things, I will upload a GIF image that shows the main problem points. First, however, I will link you / quote a section in those threads I linked to that kinda explain jagged edges and basically how to round them off, for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Joint Forum
    Jaggies:
    Jaggies occur when a pixel or group of pixels are out of place, interrupting the flow of a line. Jaggies can also occur when a line lacks anti-aliasing. Jaggies get their name from the jagged lines that they create. More broadly, jaggies are the result of any bad pixel technique, but they are most often discussed in reference to line work, so that is the context in which they will be discussed here.

How to fix jaggies:

Changing the length of the lines

often times the problem is just that a segment of the line is too short or too long, and it creates an awkward jump. Using a more uniform length of pixels to smooth the transition is the solution here.
    Some jagged lines cannot be helped, which is where anti-aliasing would need to be used, but I'll get into that at a later time.

More:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Joint

[^ shows at the bottom of the image, initial vs. cleaned up lineart]
    Heh, sorry I'm using other sources to explain myself better. To be honest, that's the best way I know how to do things, is to, if possible, link to someone who has stated their point in better words than I could myself.

The main problem points are at both of Shinx's ears and its back leg, for the most part. Those are the two most prominent areas. c: Lemme know if I need to clarify something / elaborate / etc...or something! ^^;

------------

Could you possibly show me where the problem spots are? As I've said, I'm new at this. I also realize that you may not use a lot of my pixel work, but it's so fun that I just kept going XD I won't be offended one bit if you don't use it. If anything, it will be for personal use.

I also have the original files saved to be worked on for just this reason! I know I'm noobish. Would you mind possibly taking my image(s) and giving me an example spot/problem?

EDIT: Nevermind, working on things now. Hopefully they look better when I'm done ^^
    Last edited by TheProtobabe; 05-16-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Of course! That actually is what I have been working on. c:

I completely understand, and you are doing quite well for starters. :> And whether I add it or not doesn't matter quite as much as, like you said, having fun and trying to improve. :D

Okay, so as you can see here I clearly forgot to explain one important thing in the OP: yes, you do want to mimic the original sprite, but you also may want to make certain changes at your discretion. For example, the original sprite portrays Shinx's front paws as being little "nubs" (due to the fact that the sprite is small, thus some details must be spared to increase the sprite's "readability" )...but as you can see in Shinx's official art, its paws do have a rounded bulge to them where the toes are.

What I would recommend would be to draw (yes, draw XD ) just a rough lineart where the sprite's original lines are, not paying much attention to the smaller details of the lineart yet. Once you have the lines completed, this is the time for you to try to straighten everything out! Of course, like I showed above, you want to keep the contours relatively smooth and round, without any off pixels creating jagged lines.
    However, this is where anatomy comes in, too! Like I said above, there are many small details that need to be spared in the game's sprites because they have to be kept within a smaller size limit. This is to enhance the "readability" of the sprite so it doesn't look like a cluttered mess! c:
    However, since what you're basically doing here is making a larger, touched-up version of the original sprite, there is more room for smaller details. I would have a reference at hand of the some of the Pokemon's actual official artwork.

I had shown that in my video, but sadly the stupid program is stupid! I still gotta find a better one. D8

Okay, so going back to my alterations on the lineart...as you can see, I rounded out the ears much more, because Shinx's ears are, well, pretty round, and in your original pixel over they looked a little polygonic with those straight lines. I cleaned up jagged edges as well. As you can see, I also edited Shinx's back leg so it wasn't quite that straight and was more rounded and natural looking.

Notably I also got rid of the shading, but that was just so I could work on the lineart. :> I however, did not clean up the tail at all; I edited enough so that I felt that you would see the main idea I was trying to portray, here. ^-^b

If you would like, you can feel free to use that edited lineart I provided if you'd wish to make changes to it. I don't mind at all. c:

Oh, and I forgot to mention...I added a little bit of anti-aliasing so that the eyes didn't look so square. I swear, the eyes can be just the most tricky to get right sometimes! o A o
    Oh, and I just got rid of Shinx's ankle bands because I could just add those later. So yeah, that was just a personal preference, don't mind it too much. xD

------------

Hmm, okay. I shall try on a simpler sprite and practice for now. I'll be back with examples so you can tell me if I'm improving :P

Well, alrighty then. I will state on the OP that the ones you finished just need to be edited. So they're still yours. c:

I have Petilil done.

Ducklett is mine next! XD

------------