Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

HD Sprite Pixel Over project.

NOTE: Since Generation VI started introducing everything in 3-D and the only 2-D graphics exist as fan-made sprites, we will not be including the Kalos Pokemon or Mega Evolutions at this time.

Tutorial Links

If you would like to contribute but are not too confident about your knowledge on pixel art, I recommend--HIGHLY RECOMMEND--going through this and this thread. The first one will explain pixel art overall in a very easy to understand manner. The second one is more so optional: it goes over nitpicks and pointers relating to pixel art.

I also have a link to a tutorial--made by a contributor--and a video guide--made by me. Please take note that these two tutorials / guides use two different methods of getting the job done. Please feel free to do what you wish, but please make sure to read my note (on that post that had the video links in it) about the method that Protobabe is using. ^^; Thanks! c:

-----------------

Hey guys! I wanna be able to post a project here, maybe to gather together any pixel artists around here.

Anyways, if you are aware of pixel art, it's possible that you are aware of the concept of pixel-overs: they are pretty much traces, but converted into a pixel art form / style.

As of late, I've been pixelling over existing Pokemon sprites--usually Ruby and Sapphire ones--via enlarging them and portraying the proportions and shading of the original sprite as close as possible to the original. This is best done with a program that supports layers and/or opacity, but whatever works for you is fine as well.

You need to make sure you mimic the original style (shading style especially) as well and as closely to the original as you can.

I've done quite a few of these myself; for examples, please see this post in my gallery. However, I was hoping to maybe get others interested in this; it's really pretty fun in a sense.

I honestly do not have any specific rules pertaining to this thread and this thread alone, at least not as of yet. However, please do be aware of the following:
    • Take the sprite you're wanting to pixel over, and enlarge the overall image by 200% (x2). From there, you can, if applicable, paste it into a program such as Graphics Gale, change the opacity / alpha of that layer to be lower, and then add a layer above that to be able to trace over the original, hassle-free. However, you may of course feel free to do this in any way you wish...just so long as it works for you!
    • I only plan on us using the official sprites from Black 2 and White 2, for now.
    • Try to include the gender differences separately, if you can. This isn't as big of a deal for Pokemon with smaller gender differences, such as Sneasel or Aipom; however, it's very, VERY encouraged that you create one of both genders for Pokemon that have vast differences, such as Hippopotas or Frillish.
    • Please do the best that you can with successfully executing the overall artistic style used in the official sprites. Heavy referencing is recommended!
    • And finally, I will quality-control these; after all, if I didn't, where would the challenge be? Plus, art is all about self-improvement, and upon not doing quality control that would ruin the purpose of it being a community project! c:
    • You may reserve up to four Pokemon at one time (just do whatever you think you can handle); this reservation will last for approximately a week. If this week has expired and you are still trying to work on it, please say so in this thread and your reservation will be renewed. If it's obvious that you're just trying to take up space, however, then your reservation will not be renewed.
    • Shiny versions are not required, but appreciated!
    • Please use pretty much the exact colors provided by the original sprite in your pixel over. Feel free to maybe edit some things / alter some colors around slightly if you feel that it will look better for the larger image (for instance, more anti-aliasing in some places for the pixel over; or maybe those two colors don't appear to contrast as well in your version, so you heighten the contrast JUST enough)

The list will be arranged so that any Pokemon that have not yet been completed / added will not be included in the list, therefore making navigation easier; additionally, this is so it won't take up an unnecessary amount of space!

Kanto
    Spoiler:
    #001 Bulbasaur - RESERVED by Tenacity
    #037 Vulpix - RESERVED by TheProtobabe
    #059 Arcanine - NEEDS REVISING (Velocity)
    #094 Gengar / Shiny - Speed-X
    #132 Ditto / Shiny - Speed-X
    #136 Flareon - RESERVED by Suicune's Fire
    #151 Mew / Shiny - Speed-X

Johto
    Spoiler:
    #200 Misdreavus - RESERVED by Suicune's Fire
    #215 Sneasel (Male) / Shiny (Male) - Speed-X
    #215 Sneasel (Female) / Shiny (Female) - Speed-X
    #243 Raikou / Shiny needed - The Protobabe
    #245 Suicune / Shiny - Suicune's Fire
    #249 Lugia - NEEDS REVISING (by The Protobabe)

Hoenn
    Spoiler:
    #252 Treecko / Shiny - Speed-X
    #254 Sceptile / Shiny - Tombi
    #269 Dustox (Male) / Shiny (Male) - Speed-X
    #269 Dustox (Female) / Shiny (Female)
    #286 Breloom - RESERVED by Velocity
    #310 Manectric - RESERVED by Velocity
    #330 Flygon / Shiny - Speed-X
    #334 Altaria / Shiny - Speed-X
    #373 Salamence - RESERVED by Velocity

Sinnoh
    Spoiler:
    #403 Shinx (Male) / Shiny (Male) - TheProtobabe
    #403 Shinx (Female) / Shiny (Female) - TheProtobabe
    #404 Luxio - NEEDS REVISING (by TheProtobabe)
    #405 Luxray (Male) / Shiny (Male) - WIP
    #405 Luxray (Female) / Shiny

Unova
    Spoiler:
    #494 Victini / Shiny - Speed-X
    #495 Snivy / Shiny - Speed-X
    #498 Tepig / Shiny - Speed-X
    #501 Oshawott / Shiny - Speed-X
    #504 Patrat / Shiny - Speed-X
    #506 Lillipup / Shiny - Speed-X
    #509 Purrloin / Shiny - Speed-X
    #511 Pansage / Shiny - Speed-X
    #513 Pansear / Shiny - Speed-X
    #515 Panpour / Shiny - Speed-X
    #517 Munna / Shiny - Speed-X
    #519 Pidove / Shiny - Speed-X
    #522 Blitzle / Shiny - Speed-X
    #524 Roggenrola / Shiny - Speed-X
    #527 Woobat / Shiny - Speed-X
    #529 Drilbur / Shiny - Speed-X
    #531 Audino / Shiny - Speed-X
    #532 Timburr - RESERVED by Speed-X
    #535 Tympole - RESERVED by Speed-X
    #540 Sewaddle - RESERVED by Speed-X
    #545 Scolipede / Shiny - Speed-X
    #546 Cottonee / Shiny - Speed-X
    #548 Petilil / Shiny - Speed-X
    #551 Sandile / Shiny - Speed-X
    #552 Krokorok / Shiny - Speed-X
    #559 Scraggy - NEEDS REVISING (by Bulbasaur)
    #571 Zoroark / Shiny - Speed-X
    #580 Ducklett / Shiny - Speed-X
    #585 Deerling (Spring) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #585 Deerling (Summer) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #585 Deerling (Fall) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #585 Deerling (Winter) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #586 Sawsbuck (Summer) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #586 Sawsbuck (Fall) / Shiny - Speed-X
    #595 Joltik / Shiny - Speed-X
    #607 Litwick / Shiny - Speed-X
    #610 Axew - RESERVED by Suicune's Fire
    #619 Mienfoo / Shiny - Speed-X
    #636 Larvesta / Shiny - Speed-X
    #648 Meloetta (Aria Forme) / Shiny - Speed-X

----------------------------------------------------------

List of Contributors, Completed Works, and Reservations
    Spoiler:
    Speed-X

Finished Contributions: Ditto, Mew, Sneasel, Altaria, Victini, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Patrat, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Scolipede, Cottonee, Petilil, Sandile, Krokorok, Ducklett, Deerling (All), Sawsbuck (Summer and Fall), Joltik, Litwick, Mienfoo, Larvesta, Meloetta (Aria), Lillipup, Purrloin, Munna, Pidove, Blitzle, Woobat, Drilbur, Audino, Flygon, Gengar, Treecko
    Reservations: Timburr, Tympole, Sewaddle
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed:

------------------------------

The Protobabe

Finished Contributions: Raikou, Shinx
    Reservations: Vulpix
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed: *Raikou (Shiny)*, Lugia, Luxio, Luxray

Bulbasaur

Finished Contributions: N/A
    Reservations: N/A
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed: Scraggy

Suicune's Fire

Finished Contributions: Suicune
    Reservations: Flareon, Misdreavus, Axew
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed: N/A

Velocity

Finished Contributions: N/A
    Reservations: Breloom, Manectric, Salamence
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed: Arcanine

Tombi

Finished Contributions: Sceptile
    Reservations: N/A
    WIP / Need to be finished or fixed: N/A

*---* = not top priority

--------------------------------------
    Have fun!!
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 11-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

I finished Litwick last night.

I'm really hoping I can get some contributors here! c:

And Snivy.
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 05-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

COLLECTION OF PROTOBABE'S HD SPRITE WORKS HERE

Sprites are free to use for anyone who sees them, just do not claim my work as your own.

Reserving Luxio, Lugia, Raikou, Vulpix

Completed Works

-Shinx

-Luxray

Pending Judgment

-Luxio

-Lugia

-Raikou

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 06-01-2013 at 12:56 AM.

What i do is take the original sprite and paste it in a program whose canvas size conforms to the size of an image pasted / is easy to change (Paint); I then crop the image down so that the very edges of the original sprite are touching the canvas border...this isnt required, its just so you don't have to work with uneccessarily larger images.

Anywhoo, select the entire image and enlarge the overall size by 200%; copy this, then repaste it onto that same file. Find out what the dimensions of the image are (since Graphics Gale uses preset, non-conforming canvas sizing); start a new file in Gale withose dimensions. Paste it and then lower the opacity down to around twenty percent. Add a new layer, and trace over the enlarged original sprite in that new layer. Try to make it look as similar as possible, but some things can be altered or added if it would make it look better in a larger pixel art size.

That's just my method, though, but you do still need to enlarge the original, find a way to trace over it, then copy the shading as closely as possible. That's pretty much all there is to it, actually.

------------

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    I have a Scraggy pixel over in progress. I'm still learning how to do pixel overs though.

Well, that won't be a problem! Practice makes perfect; feel free to post your WIP here and I can try to help! :3

For the record, Tepig and Oshawott are mine. XD

------------

I've got this custom Bulbasaur pixel over from a few years ago. I can edit it at some point if you want just a normal Bulbasaur, but that'll have to wait until my school work loosens up. So is it possible for me to reserve Bulbasaur? :)

8. This post has been liked by:

Corey 

Oh hey, it's Jello! I'll add your reservation for Bulbasaur to the list; but yeah, I will need a Bulbasaur that has regular markings and such (even despite how cute May's Bulbasaur is, with its heart markings X3 )

------------

No problem, I'll try and get that up for you early June. :)

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Guess I'll reserve Scraggy.
    Attached Images Attached Images