Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

[WAR I] .:Pixel Art:.

Welcome
    good pixel/sprite artists...

THIS IS THE VERY FIRST POKÉMON CROSSROADS WAR!

Here we see the mighty strength of each and every WAR team come together and clash with an echoing boom to prove their worth and emerge victorious.
    How, you say? Why, through spriting with pixels, of course! What better way to express yourself than through meticulous detail placed with unwavering care?

Prepare yourselves, sons and daughters of Mew, for you shall be put to the test and graded weekly through trials of hardship! With each new week comes a new challenge, so ensure that your spriting skills are in check and your ability to produce wonderfully harmonious pixels is fired up and ready!

Grading Rubric:
    Neatness: /10 Did you colour within the lines? Clean up said outlines? Are there stray pixels you forgot to colour in? Neatness is self-explanatory!
    Creativity: /10 Is your sprite as boring as the beige paint that cover the walls of the café below my classroom at school? If not, you'll score highly! Don't be afraid to get creative!
    Overall Look and Effort: /10 You can often gauge how much time was put into a sprite based on its overall appearance. Will you impress the judge?
    Relevance: /5 This is obviously how closely your entry adhered to the theme.

Contestants who win first, second or third place will be awarded prize points for their WAR teams!
    1st place - 3 points
    2nd place - 2 points
    There is no third place because apparently that's normal.

In the case of a tie, the point award system will remain the same, so the entries that tied will obtain the same amount of points (a.k.a. 2 points each for two entries that come second).

The WAR contest officially opens on MONDAY the 7th at 12am!

RULES:
    1. . Respect your fellow artists and follow all PXR rules!
    This includes NO flaming, NO bickering and NO mocking of WAR scars!
    2. Stick to the theme! This is a must for entries to score highly.
    3. NEW SPRITES are the way to go. No reusing old sprites that were made before WAR!
    4. You are only allowed to enter one single sprite per week. You may submit an entry and edit it anytime up until the deadline.
    5. ABSOLUTELY NO ART THEFT will be tolerated. Your entries must be yours alone.
    I myself will sent you into a mine field and watch with a shaking head as you try to avoid what may or may not be a set of deadly explosives set to go off at the slightest touch. (A.k.a. You will be disqualified instantly.)
    6. No Generations VI Pokémon are to be used!
    As there are no official sprites for Gen 6, you cannot use any pokémon from that generation unless you sprite them 100% yourselves. For instance, with fusions, you may scratch on a some fennekin ears and a tail if you choose to use one (where it applies to the week's contest, of course)

Side-Notes:
    - You do not HAVE to use Pokémon sprites for entries that do not specify that you need to, but it is encouraged
    - Remember two of the basic but essential rules to spriting: Never, EVER save in .JPG format. Save in .PNG or your sprite's quality will be eaten alive. Secondly, never resize sprites! They are not designed to be any bigger!

WEEK ONE:
    This week's theme shall be something simple to begin with. Therefore, you shall complete for me...

-- A recolour!
    Choose a sprite. Any sprite! It can even be non-pokémon related. Recolour it how you wish, with whatever palette you wish. Feel free to include the palette in your entry!
    Remember - You may not alter the position of the shading or the outlines. Only the colour. There are ways around the shading so don't feel like you're restricted by this rule!
    Check out some winning entries from the previous WAR! (Made by 2gamers and 5TailedDemonLizard from PE2K respectively!)
    First place | Second Place

Please use the following form to submit your wonderful entries, OR MAY THE REAPER HIMSELF HAVE MERCY ON YOUR LITTLE TOES.
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    Link to Sprite: (Link to the image)
    Sprite Submission: (Post the actual image)
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK ONE is SATURDAY, the 12th of July at 11:59pm, 2014.

WEEK ONE RESULTS!

Winners:

Spoiler:

Coming in second place is...

Pokémon Trainer Sarah!
    &
    TheoreticalSelkie!

Pokémon Trainer Sarah:

TheoreticalSelkie:

Coming in first place is...

*confetti*Speed-X!*confetti*

Have a bucket full of good luck, combatants, and may the best WAR team win! :D
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 07-14-2014 at 10:22 AM.

WEEK TWO:
    For this week, your challenge shall be...

-- A simple fusion!
    For this fusion, you may choose up to three pokemon to splice together. You can use a minimum of two and a maximum of three. It can be any pokémon except those from Gen 6, unless you completely scratch all the Gen 6 parts. [In regards to scratching, I expect you to do some, at least. No fusion can look its best without scratching!]
    - You may colour it HOWEVER you like! You may use WHATEVER pokémon you like (with the Gen VI sprite exception of course xD)! Don't feel restricted. 8)

Check out some winning entries (although these were more than three pokemon mashed together) from the previous WAR! (Made by FrozenChaos from PE2K and me respectively!)
    First place | Second Place

Form:
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK TWO is SATURDAY, the 19th of July at 11:59pm, 2014, or until I post judging scores.

WEEK TWO WINNERS!

Winners:

Spoiler:

Pokémon Trainer Sarah!

+2 to Team Trainer for your efforts!

Congratulations, Speed-X, once again! +3 points for you and Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK THREE:

-- A retype!
    Ever wondered what your favourite pokemon looked like as another type? No? Well who cares! This is your chance to choose a pokemon and give it another type. For this, remember that you cannot use Gen VI sprites UNLESS you use parts from a Gen 6 pokemon that you scratched yourself.

Tips:
    - Scratching is key. I won't be very happy if I see a snivy with a flame stuck on the end of its tail and a simple recolour of orange. Get creative, guys! Retypes are your chance to take a pokemon and experiment with colours, features, etc. Don't be afraid to change a lot of the pokemon--just as long as it's still recognisable as the pokemon you're using, then you should be fine. :]
    - Feel free to get ideas from other pokemon, but try not to just copy and paste. A bit of that is fine, just not too much. Make sure you reshade and clean it all up!

As an example, I dug up an old retype that isn't amazing but will give you an idea:
    Ice type ninetales

Form:
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    Pokémon & its new type:
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK THREE is SATURDAY, the 26th of July at 11:59pm, 2014, or until I post judging scores (which won’t be till Sunday for you, Monday for me xD).

WEEK THREE WINNERS:

Winners:

Spoiler:

Pokémon Trainer Sarah!

+2 to Team Trainer for your great sprite, yet again winning second place.

Congratulations, Speed-X, for three weeks in a row! +3 points for Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on your behalf!
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 07-28-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Week Four and Week Five Results and Information!

WEEK FOUR:

-- Lineart Challenge!
    This week, I want everyone to step up a little. This will take more time than previous weeks, probably, and here's why. You have to take a pokémon's outline, from any pre-existing official, in-game sprite, and erase everything inside it. You keep ONLY the outline of the sprite, and then create an entirely new sprite within those outlines. You have to be careful here, because you need to choose a pokémon with versatile outlines, otherwise you might get stuck with something that's too difficult to make into something else. In case you're wondering (Velocity), you cannot make an existing pokémon out of another pokémon's outlines. This is to prevent pokémon with common shapes from being used in other sprites' outlines, such as taking a plusle outline and making a minun within it. Not that that would work anyway, because you need to erase everything within the outlines. Only the very outer lines have to be intact and unaltered. I will be checking every outline to make sure that they are exactly the same as the sprite they were taken from. If they have been altered, then the entries will be either disqualified, or, if it's only one or two pixels, you will lose grading marks.

You may rotate the outlines in increments of 90 only. This is to avoid pixel distortion. This can be done in order to give you more anatomical options if you so desire.

Tips:
    - Make anything within the lines, whether it's pokémon related or not. It can be a weird clock if you like. Make sure you colour and shade appropriately.
    - I'm looking for not only creative entries, but also well done entries. Take a look on Google for some sprite tutorials on how to shade if you're unsure, or even observe an object in real life to get a bit of an idea.

As an example, Shadow Tracker Max and I completed a sprite which originally had a bulbasaur outline:
    Step #1 ; Step #2

Form:
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    Pokémon outline you used:
    Description of your new sprite:
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK FOUR is SUNDAY, the 3rd of August at 11:59pm, 2014, or until I post judging scores.

WEEK FOUR WINNERS!

Winners:

Spoiler:

Pokémon Trainer Sarah!

+2 to Team Trainer for that sweet skull!

Congratulations, Speed-X! +3 points for you and Team Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!
    I feel like I should give you extra points for winning all these weeks so far. xD But I can’t. Ahem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK FIVE: THE FINAL WEEK
    For the very last week of WAR I, your challenge is...

-- A Scratch Sprite! With a twist
    That’s right. This week, your entry has to be entirely from scratch. This means, no bases, no pre-made outlines, nothing. Just you and your empty canvas, until you form something from scratch. But that's not it. Here’s the catch.

Your sprite's palette has to be based off one single colour, which has a maximum of four shades. And what do I mean by that? I mean that, in your palette, you have to have ONLY four different variations of one colour. Just like the Game Boy Pokémon games, where you'd have a sprite that had black, white, and two other colours to it.

This does NOT mean "Oh cool, I'll use red, green, blue and yellow!" and then you have multiple shades of each colour. No, you have to choose one colour, and use four shades based around that for your entire sprite! Challenging, right? You can dance around this a little and use yellow, but then have your darker colour as an orangy-yellow, as that would still count as yellow, but only if the shades are close enough that they're not obviously two different actual colours.

Restrictions:
    - Your sprite may not breach the 96x96 DS sprite dimensions. I will be checking this come judging, so don't think you can get away with an extra pixel. ;3
    - If your sprite is not within the 96x96 restriction, you will lose ALL "Relevance" points in grading.
    - If your sprite contains more than 4 overall colours to the palette, you will lose ALL "Relevance" points in grading.
    - You may edit your sprite up until the deadline, even if it's been submitted.
    - You may choose anything to sprite, as long as it fits within general PXR rules (a.k.a. have some decency).
    - You must have fun. YOU MUST.

Form:
    Code:
    Username:
    WAR Team:
    Description of your scratch sprite:
    THE DEADLINE for WEEK TWO is SUNDAY, the 10th of August at 11:59pm, 2014, or until I post judging scores. Feel free to submit something if it's past the date but I haven't posted results yet!

WEEK FIVE WINNERS

Winners:
    Spoiler:

Coming tied in first place are...

*confetti*Speed-X & Pokemon Trainer Sarah!*confetti*

Congratulations, you two! I believe you get to share your first and second points, which means 2.5 points for you and your teams. :]
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 08-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.

I don't have my sprite, yet. Just wanted to say that this thread was very... colorful. I will edit this post with my actual entry.

Username: XaiakuX
    WAR Team: The best one. (Awesome)
    Link to Sprite: Sprite
    Sprite Submission: Sprite
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
    I don't have my sprite, yet. Just wanted to say that this thread was very... colorful. I will edit this post with my actual entry.

Username: XaiakuX
    WAR Team: The best one. (Awesome)
    Link to Sprite: Sprite
    Sprite Submission: Sprite
    No no, don't be modest. I can see your magnificent work of art right there...and I must say... That IS the most fantastic sprite I have ever seen in my lifetime. Absolutely fabulous. I commend you. For your efforts, you get a single clap that sums up your brilliance with a lone but powerful syllable.

*Clap*

Well done. I hope all other entries follow this prime example.

;D

~SF.

6. This post has been liked by:

I decided that Gardevoir needed to be given the 'Dark Knight' treatment.

Username: Brettles
    WAR Team: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Link to Sprite: Gardevoir "dark knight version"

Original Sprite
    Sprite Submission: Fighting crime in Gotham
    Last edited by Brettles; 07-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Here's my entry. :)

Username: Tenacity
    WAR Team: Team Trainer
    Link to Sprite: Druddigon Recolour
    Sprite Submission:

As Druddigon is based off of a gargoyle, I thought I'd give it a more stony look. :p

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

Certified Eeveelution Enthusiast Dragon Master Mike's Avatar
    GCEA Staff

Question: Can I do a devamp for this theme? That's SORTA like a recolor.

Username: Shiny Totodile
    WAR Team: Team Magma
    Link to Sprite: http://mrcoolbro3.deviantart.com/art...253A1404829512
    Sprite Submission:

I inverted the colors and put them in the right place, so he doesn't look so evil.
    I made this myself!!! Come check out my deviantart page at http://mrcoolbro3.deviantart.com/. And here's my shop! http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/for...hop-of-Sprites

Username: Corrupt_Voidlich
    WAR Team: Team Trainer
    Link to Sprite: http://i62.tinypic.com/33412t3.png
    Sprite Submission:
    I had the idea to do something like this for a while and I thought that now was the best time to do it. So, here is Rainbow Dragonair. Sorry for the huge colour palette. :3

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

12. This post has been liked by: