Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Finch and Cold you're thinking of planets. Pokémon world is one planet. Earth is one planet. That's what I suggested. Entire dimensions are like entire solar systems, universes, and galaxies. There's no way in a million years somebody can design an entire dimension.
    At best, we can have neighboring solar systems, with each team getting a starting planet or something like that in a group of three so everyone has a planet and there are a lot to expand to as well, even if we have six teams or so. We can start with two as a bare minimum, then add an extra with each two teams. Anyone like that idea?

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm quite familiar with the astronomy, Bron. It was just my trippy sci-fi way of linking two planets instantaneously without wormholes or FTL travel. Please also bear in mind that this was written before I took university level physics.

^ Cheers, Lunar Latias

Experienced Trainer bronislav84's Avatar
    I had a great reply here and the forum ate it. Let's see if I can recreate it.

Tazz, do you have ANY idea how much work it would take to create just one planet? Just one. Look at how much room we have on our world. Now imagine using that as an RP. At most we would use like a couple of cities at best. Example: Look at how much of the Pokémon world was actually used in the recent War RP, and that's just one planet. There's a ton of room on just one planet. It's just too much work to create more than one planet per team just to leave the majority of each underutilized. It's too complicated. All we need is one planet per team in the same solar system, and just give them different world rules (Pokémon or no Pokémon, medieval or star trek like and so on), because a planet can have a ton of room especially with RP space being arbitrary. I urge you to look on the Aqua forums for the solar system designed before. It's huge man, and one planet per team was plenty.

Oh, well in that case Finch I see your point. Technically they could have both been Earth so you're not completely off, but there's really no need to suggest making entire dimensions. One planet per parallel dimension being linked to is plenty, as you did in your RP.

Which, again, was my exact suggestion. You only need to create a playable part and leave the rest untouched to have both a massive, "epic" feel but keep the narrative and practicality more than manageable. How much of Coruscant has any of us actually seen in the Star Wars franchise, even including all the extended universe and spin-offs? Tuchanka in the Mass Effect trilogy?

^ Cheers, Lunar Latias

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Which, again, was my exact suggestion. You only need to create a playable part and leave the rest untouched to have both a massive, "epic" feel but keep the narrative and practicality more than manageable. How much of Coruscant has any of us actually seen in the Star Wars franchise, even including all the extended universe and spin-offs? Tuchanka in the Mass Effect trilogy?
    This.

All that is necessary is something playable. Just because a new dimension is introduced doesn't mean that every detail has to be explained. You really can get away with opening up a new dimension and having just a small portion of it be playable for RP purposes. To be honest, it's almost the equivalent of having two different planets in the same system. If someone said Earth was two planets away from the Pokémon world, and another RP said Earth was in one dimension and the Pokémon world was in another, yet both RPs only allowed travel between the two lands exclusively, I don't think it would make a difference because we'd have our primary focuses. Dimensional details only matter if the dimension has specific rules or an ongoing conflict outside of the main plot that could effect the RP.
    Stay Gold

Dreams are everlasting...
    Simply Super!

That still just seems like way too much work for little use out of it. Keep it to one planet per team and it still feels epic enough but not overwhelming. Otherwise it's too complicated. That's exactly how we can have what @Pokemon Trainer Sarah suggested: Newbie friendly and not intimidating.

And in the subject of Coruscant, go play SWTOR. You can explore a lot of it. Still not all of course, but a lot. They do that with all the playable planets.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-27-2014 at 01:30 PM.

"I don't want to fight." Steel Lunpara's Avatar
    There's an interesting thing to note about the scale of the world: The larger a universe gets, the less concentrated notable locations will be. When a story takes place in a single country, that single country will be bustling with life, containing all sorts of notable locations, people, and history. On the other hand, when it's on a galactic scale, each planet will only have around one notable thing to it. Now, that's not to say this is a bad thing; Even though each planet would be have less notable culture or locations, if there are more countries, planets, dimensions, or whatever, each one is able to have increasingly different rulesets. If you only have one country, it's doubtful that each town will have different climates, gravity, or even laws of physics. A larger scale allows for those things. Whichever one you chose will have it's own advantages, so I just wanted to point it out.
    "You kids have a nice day."

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    That still just seems like way too much work for little use out of it. Keep it to one planet and it still feels epic enough but not overwhelming. Otherwise it's too complicated. That's exactly how we can have what @Pokemon Trainer Sarah suggested: Newbie friendly and not intimidating.

And in the subject of Coruscant, go play SWTOR. You can explore a lot of it. Still not all of course, but a lot. They do that with all the playable planets.
    I don't think MMOs are the best example to use here. One thing I've noticed about MMOs is that the storyline gets butchered badly. Events and quests have to be reset again and again and nothing really changes. In the meantime, MMOs are more about the community of players and player interaction as opposed to storyline or character development.

When creating a whole planet, dimension, or world, it's really up to you to decide how complex you want to make it. You obviously don't need to describe every nook and cranny of that entire world. Major cities, locations, geographical areas, culture, civilizations, sure, all those need attention and development, but you don't need to go totally nuts about detailing every square foot of this new realm.

I did go into this whole process earlier, but I know everyone has their own style of doing it. All I'm saying is world-building, while a bit challenging, isn't impossible and shouldn't be ruled out as an option for this. Besides, in the past RPs, we've worked with an entire solar system before and it held together.

I was just using the MMO as an example, but I see what you're saying. What I mean is exactly what you're saying, at least near the end: We should keep it to a solar system.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-27-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah/Ava by Neo Emolga

R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST
    Simkha "Dosha" Bakman
    I loved you, Grandpa

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

Thanks guys for the invite but to be honest, I don't think I have the time to devote to a full Team style RP right now. I have just started a new job and I really like the work that I have been doing for PXR as a writer and want to keep my pace of articles going. Maybe when things settle down a bit then I will try my best to get back into Team/Forum base RPing.

So far all things look great and glad to see many vets and newcommers entering the arena.
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga