Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar
    Sable Miru
    Oct. 18th/14
    LA, Northridge Area
    ARPers: @Comatose ; Colin

Sable wasn’t a morning person. That much could have been told by the fact her alarm had been blaring for the last hour and two small seahorse like creatures were both hanging off her one sleeve. The teen yawned loudly and rolled out of bed and onto the hardwood floor. Her multi-coloured hair was in a mess, and her pajamas were the shirt she had worn the previous day, and some flannel plaid pants. The two Babydmon she had called Rift and Signia, were twins of a sort. They pretty much kept her on track throughout the day, and made sure she had breakfast in the morning.

However the morning was boring. At this point in time, Sable was roller blading down the streets of LA with skillful agility to avoid the back and forth of the sidewalks. She had her usual garb on and a backpack filled with some returns she had to make a bit of a trip away from her penthouse she was staying in with her aunt. Her parents were away on business as usual, but her aunt had let her stay with her while that crazy convention was going on. Ever since that day, Sable knew she had a duty… Digimon were a thing, and she was going to find all the things about the things and be the master of the things. At least in her head anyway. Her aunt also had a Digimon in some sense; a little yellow and black bug that they called Nemeros, or Nemmy for short. They had determined he was a Virus type Digimon, of which were usually hostile and aggressive. Nemmy had his mood swings, but Sable’s aunt managed to keep him happy.

Sable had been skating casually for at least fifteen minutes before she found her way back to the game store. Signia and Rift were hiding in the back of her sweater, since the shop liked to check for bags and could Sable blame them? No, they had some good old nostalgic games that would make a pretty penny on eBay. In the store at the time was another guy with a backpack at the counter. The place didn’t often rent games, but Sable’s Aunt owned the store, so she got a bit of leeway granted she left her information just in case something happened.

“Hey, I’m gonna set there just back here for you. You can take them off my account. Gonna do my usual look around.”

“Yep, I know the drill.” The cashier responded politely.

There were cards, goodies, and all sorts of hobby things around. Sable liked her aunt’s taste in business choices. Sable had her hat on under her hood, which allowed both Signia and Rift to rest their heads on either one of her shoulders, out of sight while wrapped around her upper arm. This allowed for an easier time to communicate with them as well.

Sable was forced to sneeze however, as Signia was blowing air just underneath her nose while Rift was blowing into her ear.

“Gnk… guys, really? What? I thought we agreed mild ear tugging?”

“You didn’t like that.” Rift whispered.

“I recall you weren’t comfortable with it.” Signia added.

Sable rolled her eyes. “Rift was not doing the tugging mildly… anyway, what is it?”

“That man over there… I smell something in his bag.”

Sable looked over to the guy who was being asked by the clerk to open his bag. He claimed there were stinky gym clothes in there from what Sable could hear.

“So he’s got BO clothes in there probably.” She whispered back. “Though if he’s some kind of sticky fingers…”

“BO?”

“No it’s… I think it’s a Digi-“

Signia was cut off by the sounds of the clerk screaming in sheer terror. Sable turned her head directly towards it, acting on pure instinct as her entire body spun around and aimed for the backpack. She didn’t need Signia to finish to know what she was going to say, and if that backpack had that inn it, she had to grab it before any more chaos started. As for the guy who would no doubt soon be following her, she didn’t even think about. Sable was still on her skates and zoomed through the small space between them, and grabbed the stranger’s bag, zipping it back up and bolting out the door.

She got down a couple of blocks before Rift tugged on her ear so hard it caused her to lean too far to the left. Sable shooed him away with her hand and go back into her rhythm of left and right on her roller skates. The teen managed to dodge people skillfully but not without some strange looks.

“Okay so I know what you’re thinking. Sable, you just grabbed some random guy’s bag and are blading down the street with it with a possible thing inside. Now, that looks really bad, and he’s going to follow you. That, is my plan. See because he’s either a not so nice guy and not gonna follow us, or he’s gonna be a kinda nice guy, follow us and we can get some info out of him about the things.”

The explanation made sense in her head.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

October 28th, 2014. Afternoon
    Name: Colin Rohan

Keramon stuck his head out of the bag. He felt motion sick from the sudden movement. He looked around and saw his captor.

"You just made a big mistake. I am not gonna give specifics, because I wanna see the ***** hit the fan, but I will say, this is gonna be amusing for me." Keramon said with a grin, "Now all I gotta do is just wait..."

He began to laugh somewhat manically, and couldn't wait to see the result...

A little while earlier...

Before he could try and talk to the clerk, a girl snatched the bag off Colin and ran.

"Hey what the ***** are you doing?!" he screamed at her as he gave chase finding it ironic that he has told Keramon off for that language so often.

He saw the rollerblades and knew he wasn't going to catch her on foot. Instead he ran to his car, and jumped in. Key in ignition, dump the clutch, put it into first, release the clutch and floor the accelerator. The skyline's tyres screeched, as it took off.

However the crowds and thin paths made it impossible to catch her, especially in the car.

"Where are you going?" Collin yelled from the car, knowing she wouldn't hear him. He was panicking. "Why the hell is my bag any of your business?!"

He continued to drive alongside the path, looking for the girl, until he heard a horn. He looked over and saw the traffic light had just gone red. Instinctively Colin put his foot on the clutch and slammed the breaks, skidding the car to a halt. In the panic however he lost the girl, and Keramon.

"DAMN IT!" he screamed to himself, bashing his fist against the horn. The light went green, and Colin drove across the intersection, continuing to look.

Breaker of the Fourth Wall Tyler Phoenix's Avatar
    Tyler Phoenix
    Northridge Area
    Oct 28th/14

Tyler wasn't amused. By the time he had even realised he roughly knew where he was, he'd wasted a long while walking around in circles with no clear aim. He knew a few locations on a main road running past where he was, it seemed. One such location was a small video games store. Leaning against a wall nearby, munching his way through a bag or Doritos, he stared at the shop, wondering whether going in was a good idea. He knew he'd blow a ton of money in there, but at the same time, he could convince himself he was just window shopping. He stared down at his Digivice absent-mindedly and noticed that BlackGuilmon was on the move - where, though, Tyler had no idea. He could see it was kind of towards him, but he was fearful of this. The last thing he - or any other Tamer - would want was to have their Digimon spotted by a lot of people. It just to happened to be a bust afternoon. Tyler shrugged it off though, BlackGuilmon was probably in the sewers or hiding in alleyways.

As Tyler stared at the Digivice he heard an almighty commotion coming from the edge of the shop. After a little bit of a bustle, a girl on roller blades burst out of the shop carrying her, wait, no, someone's rucksack, he thought. He was proven correct. A guy came tearing out of the shop and hopped into his car, racing after her. Tyler felt like laughing, but kept calm and collected - he didn't want any fights or awkward looks. He then paused. There were people looking around, and Tyler was not only holding his Digivice in one hand, but it was rather plainly on show, as he had been holding it up. He paled, hastily returning the device to his belt, eyes scanning the area to see if anyone may have noticed. Feeling safe, he sighed heavily and made his way towards the shop, slipping inside as if he hadn't seen anything unusual at all.

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    Valerian 'Titan' Frazier
    LA, Lake Balboa, En-Route to Brentwood
    Affected RPers: N/A?

Onto the bus Valerian went. It wasn't terribly crowded-at least, nobody was standing and holding onto a pole. He took the closest seat, putting him right next to a man of incredible muscle mass, a six-foot-eight frame, and an oddly rounded, freckly, and bearded face, with hair that kind of reminded the guy of bronze.

He didn't initially pay much mind to him.

The other guys next to him were probably seventeen years old, both wearing black jeans and generally dark-colored jackets, and also both with those Digivices. If it wasn't for those rumors, he wouldn't have bothered to look up on Google and figure out what they looked like for future reference.

He also didn't initially pay much mind to them, either.

The bus shut its doors, and it started rolling south...

...And one of the black-pants guy's phones started ringing. He didn't take too long to answer it.

"...Hello? Oh! Oh, yes, we're leaving Northridge just now...Yes, no sir, we're nowhere near!...Alright, where do you need us to be after?...Oh? Really?...OK then, rodger!"

If he wasn't right next to Valerian, he wouldn't have noticed at all.

"Hey, Gregory, guess what?" Said the black pants guy next to Valerian.

"What, Phil?" Gregory said.

"We've got the day off after-"

Phil, the guy closer to Valerian, paused, then spoke very low. It was VERY lucky Valerian heard it.

"After they blow up that...Uh, place? Close to that game store?"

Valerian had to try hard NOT to look surprised, or like he was suddenly eavesdropping, but blowing up places sounded ...Odd. THAT sounded like something a cop should hear.

"The gym next to the game store." Gregory replied.

This had to be some elaborate joke of some kind, right? Valerian was almost instinctively thinking of the gym his parents owned...It was next to a game store. Not right next to it, though, but on the same block...

"Ah, yes, the gym! ...Say, Greg, any clue why they picked a gym to go and blow up? It's like they decided by tossing a dart at a map of Northridge, or something." Phil said.

"I dunno, man, I hear it's personal matters or somethin'." Greg replied. "...Phil...Guy with the bronze hair's looking at us funny..."

Phil look to Valerian's left, as did Valerian. At the instant he turned around, he didn't seem like he was engrossed in anything other than a game of solitaire on his phone.

"I think you might have imagined it, Greg..." Phil said, trying to sound more silent but not really getting it.

The bus started pulling over-someone requested a stop.

"...Wait, was it called...Uh, 'Fraziers' or something? The gym, I mean." Greg asked.

"Mrmmm...I...Uh...Rrrm...Uh, I think so?" Phil responded.

Fraziers. That was his gym.

Valerian took the opportunity to immediately leave the bus-come back and just check if his parents were OK, or if anything fishy was going on...

...He was panicking a little on the inside. He started running forwards fast.

Location: Lake Balboa, En-Route to Frazier's Gym, Northridge.

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Sable Miru
    Oct. 18th/14
    LA, Northridge Area -> New Living Apartment Skyscraper [I dunno I had to name where Sable lives something]

Sable was unfazed by Keramon’s head poking out of the bag, though she didn’t know it was a Keramon. Rift growled a deep growl at the Digimon, and quickly whacked him in the head with his tail to force him back into the bag. Sable took her one free hand and shoved the Babydmon back in her hood as she turned a corner to go up a hill into a more downtown area of LA. Sable looked around and didn’t see the stranger’s car anywhere. She still had to get home quickly before someone caught on.

“Rift let’s not antagonize the Digimon.”

“This one is a very virulent virus…” Rift growled in Sable’s ear. “He needs to be quiet.”

“Yeah, uh, I could guess that based on just how mouthy he is.” Sable muttered back at him. “Look, just around this block and we can get back up to the penthouse apartment, and talk to Aunt Joni.”

Signia was quick to think about another complication. “Nemeros might not like a strange Virus type in the complex.”

“Nothing some free food can’t pacify, at least for a little while.”

Sable kept to the inside of the sidewalk, furthest away from the street. As she turned down another block, a large skyscraper with a drive thru parking in the front – or at least that’s what Sable called it – was her destination. She began to slow up just a bit to avoid looking like a complete teen on the run, holding the backpack with her one arm with a firm but not constricting grip. The only time she had stopped this entire run was at the crosswalk. There were other people there, which made her slightly nervous because she had an unstable Digimon in a stolen bag under her arm, but the trip across the street went without an issue. Then it was time for the lobby.

The lobby area was a small area for the reception desk, and then a few smaller café’s to the left and right on the bottom floor. Just to either side of the desk was an elevator door on each side, as well as a long stairwell. Sable walked past the desk with a wave, and took the right elevator. She pushed the button upon entry and prayed that no one else was getting on. It was that time of day where most people in the building were away at work, or just wanting to stay in their apartment or office. To Sable’s luck, it was a straight shot up to the top floor.

She ducked her head out both ways before heading to her place of living. Quickly sliding the key into the door, she bolted in and shut it, making a beeline for the couch. Signia and Rift wriggled their way out of Sable’s sweater and plopped themselves on the table. Sable collapsed in the cushions while leaving the stolen bag next to her, taking some much needed heavy breaths. Sable’s aunt soon came into the room; a taller woman with long dark hair pulled back into a pony tail, wearing a fitted tee in a light blue on top, and light grey sweatpants on her lower half. Her complexion was fair and her brown eyes looked at Sable with conviction.

“That bag isn’t yours… and you’re out of breath. Sable what happened?” She asked in a nonchalant way. “What did you do?”

“I found a Aunt Joni… d… a thingy. Thingy in the thing.” She gasped, pointing at the stolen bag.

“A thing?”

“She found a Digimon.” Signia clarified. “It was in someone’s bag after they caused a ruckus at your store earlier.”

Joni’s eyes turned from stern to surprise in a matter of seconds. She was starting to understand what that phone call was about from earlier, with the talking monster toy. Her employees weren’t usually in hysterics but that would cause something of alarm. Before she could say anything, a Kunemon crawled up to the backpack, and unzipped it to let the kidnapped Digimon out. He hopped down onto the floor and stared at the bag for a moment, humming quietly to himself.

“Nemeros, no. Don’t you start making any threats.” Joni scolded him. “That or no more snack food for the week.”

Nemeros didn’t like when his food supply was threatened, so hung his head and immediately stopped making sounds. Signia and Rift looked at where the Keramon was, the latter more apprehensive than the former.

“So you stole someone’s bag with a Digimon in it…” Joni asked her niece with a hand on her head.

“Look, I figure if it’s someone trying to get rid of all evidence that they exist, we can nab them, or they won’t come. If it’s one of our people, then we should probably meet up anyway. I mean, it’d be nice of the network wasn’t only online people.” Sable explained defensively. “I’m just saying, we might as well let people know who have Digimon that there is a safer place with some nice digs… no, never let me say that again, I’m no gangster… that we can just, y’know hang out and sort out this new phenomenon of life.”

“You sound like a college lecturer.”

“Shushhhhshhh.”

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Senior Moderator

Location: Los Angeles, Northridge neighbourhood -->Sable's Apartment

After a while of driving, Colin's digivice began to beep. He pulled over and grabbed it out of his pocket. The display had lit up, showing a map of LA with two dots. A green one where he was, and a red one which he could only assume was Keramon. After a few seconds, the angle of the map changed from birds eye to street view, showing Keramon to be in the penthouse of an apartment building. Colin took off again, filled with rage, making his way towards the apartment building.

When he arrived, he parked the nissan, locking it behind him, and took the elevator to the top floor. When he arrived at the apartment that the digivice said Keramon was in, he pocketed it, and took out his police badge, knocking on the door.

The girl from the store opened it (discussed this with sabi), as Colin raised his police badge.

"Detective Colin Rohan, LAPD." He said, trying his hardest to stay calm, but failing, "You have twenty seconds to give me my bag back, with everything in it, and give me five good reasons not to take you away in handcuffs."

"I told you the ***** would hit the fan." Keramon yelled out to the girl, heavily amused, "You took your time though, Colin!"

Valerian 'Titan' Frazier
    LA, En-Route to Northridge
    Affected RPers: N/A?

The one day to NOT take his f***ing phone!

Valerian just searched his pockets on the run, and could have blurted out less-than-appropriate words in anguish at the discovery all he bothered to take was his wallet and his brass knuckles.

He just kept running, thinking over what heard over and over again in his head. He had no proof aside from their words that anything was happening, but better safe than sorry on the matter. In any case, it clearly didn't sound like a joke, and it definitely DID sound like they really didn't want to be overheard.

he hadn't gone terribly far on the bus when it stopped-he had a hope of maybe at least getting his parents out of the building before it blew up, or better, catching them in the act.

While running fast enough that people were getting out of the way as much as they could, he wondered, why the gym? His dad had no grudges in the ring; he was good friends with everyone he ever went toe-to-toe with. As for his mom, she didn't make any huge busts that he knew of-there was a gang leader a while back, but that was it-and that was in Vegas! There just didn't seem to be any reason whatsoever!

Just like they said, it WAS like they threw a random dart at a map of LA and decided that they'd hit the gym!

That was his life in there-his home! Even if it happened to be a lie, he wasn't going to risk it-and that sure sounded like a legitimate bombing threat to him!

His lungs were pounding, adrenaline was burning...If he could stop whoever was responsible, he would-and the way he would, naturally, would involve a lot of face-to-fist therapy that only a real boxer could deliver.
    Last edited by The Nonexistent Tazz; 09-28-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Sable Miru
    Oct. 18th/14
    LA, Sable's Penthouse Apartment

Sable knew she had to open the door now. With what she was greeted with wasn’t exactly all sunshine stars and rainbows. Rift and Signia has digivolved into Dracomon out of protective impulse, becoming her shoulder height in anthropomorphic draconic form. There was a chain lock between them aside from the door. The teen was much calmer than Colin was, after hearing his name from the Keramon across the wide open room. Aunt Joni was slowly walking up behind Sable, but didn’t directly intervene. Nemmy was bee-lining right for the door like an angry lap dog, but was quickly picked up by the household guardian.

“Do I have to do that in order? It’s impossible for me to get your bag from here in twenty seconds… maybe thirty. But as for five reasons… anyone else out there.. nope kay.”

Sable closed the door to unlock the metal chain, and then opened it again more widely. She pointed at Signia, who was looking at Colin defensively.

“One.”

Sable pointed at Rift, who was more growly and ready to pounce than his twin sister.

“Two.”

She then pointed at the Kunemon her aunt was carrying.

“Three.”

Sable then pulled out her own Digivice, holding it within plain sight.

“Four.”

She then stopped. “Uh… five is we’ve got coffee to sit down and talk…?”

“If you’ll excuse my niece here,” Aunt Joni began, “The only reason she stole your bag was because of your Keramon in it. Perhaps you can come inside and we can sit down for a moment and talk about this without being in the doorway of possible prying eyes. As I recall hearing from my employee earlier today, the distressing “demonic swearing Cthullu child” in your bag caused some great disturbance in my shop.”

“Stealing is such a harsh way to put it.” Sable muttered, receiving a sharp elbowing from her aunt. “Wait, you already know what kind of Digimon that is?”

“Yes the database and all that, we can talk inside.” Joni shushed. “No tricks and no more rampant acts of delusional heroism on your part. Anyway, Colin was it? As I said, we can have this discussion over some coffee in the living room.”

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Senior Moderator

Colin looked at the girls aunt, with a bit more calmness. At least someone here had some common sense.

"I will take you up on that coffee, once I explain to your niece how stupid her actions were." Colin said he turned to face the two digimon.

"Let me guess, you smelt Keramon?" Colin asked, before opening his jacket and revealing briefly the large revolver in its holster, "I bet you didn't smell that, did you?"

He turned to face the girl again.

"Just say that I was some thug with a gun, who wouldn't hesitate to shoot you dead." Colin said to her, "Do you really think those skates are faster than a bullet?"

"As for your threats. Digimon or no digimon, I am still a detective, and could take you in on those threats alone. Lucky for you, your aunt is a nice enough person, and I don't want to have to bother her with the paperwork of having you released." Colin said, "That, and I can't be stuffed with the paperwork, and hiding the digimon with that."

"We can put this behind us, if you give me the bag back, with Keramon, and try and spend a few more seconds thinking next time before you act. When someone is killed, it is my *ss that is put on the line to sort it out." Colin finished, as he turned to the aunt with a slight smile, "NOW I will talk over a coffee."

Valerian 'Titan' Frazier
    LA, Northridge, En-Route to Frazier's Gym
    Affected RPers: Everyone in Northridge

He was running, he was running, he ran like a madman-

BOOM!

Valerian practically froze. A blinding white light enveloped the area, people were screaming, and it heated up to a considerable degree. The noise was much louder than Valerian ever thoguht an explosion was, almost ear-destroying, and he clamped down on his auditory processors tightly.

Just as quickly as it came, it was gone, though. His ears still rang from the sound, and his eyes were recovering from the bright flash, but otherwise Valerian and those around him were OK...

...And not two blocks away from where Valerian was were the smoking remains of a building, likely his gym.

"S**t!" Said a man behind him, as he ran past. Valerian almost blinked-it seemed to be Bronze-Hair from the bus. Had he been tailing him the whole time?

No time to contemplate, he didn't stop him or anything, so he wasn't going to stop him now.

He just ran, passing the game store, passing everything. The cops hadn't shown up yet. All that was of his Gym was a pillar of smoke and, as he got closer, figures, barely visible through it. He passed the untouched game store, he passed the half-ruined 'glass trinket' shop which Valerian never really understood, and he witnessed the pile of smoke and rubble that was now the remnants of Frazier's Gym.

Valerian was pale in the face. This was a nightmare turned blatantly real, except he never even dreamed of it at all.

He stopped just short of where the entryway would have been. He looked around. No signs of his parents...

"Valerian!" A familiar voice to his left called. It was the kind of worried, naggy tone a mother would take.

Valerian turned, and there was his mother, dressed quite casually if not for the gun and badge. She was unharmed, though very, very worried-looking herself, possibly thinking the same things Valerian was of her a minute ago.

"Valerian?" An unfamiliar voice from within the smoke called. It was a curious, dangerous tone said by villains who just discovered something VERY interesting...

Valerian and his mother both turned to the source. It was still too smoky to make it out, though it seemed to be a very tall person...Bronze Hair, just out of the corner of his eye, had stopped short of all the carnage, pistol drawn.

Valerian had no gun, so he just put on the brass knuckles. Better than nothing, he thought...

"How cute. a peashooter and a pair of brass knuckles...Against divinity." the voice said. It couldn't be very old, probably a girl before her teens...Which made the tone she took quite odd, dissonant. If Valerian was even remotely correct about the mystery speaker being a preteen girl.

"LAPD Helena Frazier, you are under arrest! Come out of there with your hands up!" Valerian's mother said, tightening her grip on her supposed peashooter.. She didn't seem even remotely phased by the explosion. Fury boiled in her eyes-Valerian himself could see that.

"Hrm...Don't really feel like it." Said another figure within the smoke. Definitely older, about Valerian's age. "In fact, howabout you just put those toys away and put YOUR hands up, eh?" He added. He sounded confident, cocky almost, but definitely in control of the situation-and reveling in it.

"COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP OR I WILL SHOOT!" Helena shouted. "THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING!"

"No!"

The last voice sounded childlike, couldn't have been older than seven or eight. Yet, it was angry-Valerian could even detect a trace of fear-and it was THIS voice that punctuated some kind of white laser wrecking Helena's with precision that simply shouldn't have been possible. The smoke was still too thick to tell what was going on...

"...Why not now?" The preteen girl said.

"...I want to torment her." The young man answered. "A quick death'll mean nothing here..."

"She'll still be dead either way..."

Bronze-hair was making his move, moving from behind his cover and disappearing into the smoke, only visible as a figure to Valerian now...His steps were silent-the mystery figures didn't notice. But, the smoke was thinning, and a crowd was gathering...

"...Maybe him first, though?" The preteen girl said.

"...Maybe...Hrm...Didn't realize she HAD a son..." The young man said. "...We don't want them seeing us..."

"Who cares?" The preteen girl said. "Nobody has anything that COULD stop him..."

"We don't know that, and I don't want to attract the theoretical people who could. No. We're leav-"

WHAM! Gunshot. Valerian flinched, but he knew it wasn't coming to him. It was Bronze-hair, likely.

The figures flinched, but nothing happened. Bronze Hair had missed.

"D**mit!" Said the young man. "...Alright, joker, stop playing hide-and-seek...We can see you!"

Another flash of light within the smoke. Valerian could now tell that the tall figure was clearly the shooter here...He could also tell the only other figure, a shorter figure, relatively speaking-it was still six-feet tall at least...

"...He...wasn't there..." The childish voice said.

Silence.

"...We can blow up the f***ing block if we wanted to, just to kill you!" The young man said. "Try that twice, I dare you!"

Valerian suddenly realize that the duo may just not be looking at him. If he had any chance whatsoever, this was it. He bum-rushed the sources as fast as he could, very lucky that he didn't trip on the pile of hot debris that was now his home in the process.

Predictably, he was stopped short. Not so predictably was WHAT stopped him short.

Just a few inches off the ground, and he was held in place by the small arm of a child four feet tall, with golden hair and blue eyes. Yet, this THING couldn't be a child. It had eight wings, a huge smattering of black tattoos all over his body, four golden rings on the wrists and ankles, a nice little wreath made of golden feathers, and of course, there was the fact that he was being lifted an inch off the ground by a flying angel thing.

OK, they weren't joking about the divinity bit...

...Valerian was having a hard time comprehending this.