Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
    Oh, no, she's an excellently written character. I hate her because she's fairly despicable and treats Shinji pretty miserably. Asuka is very much not best girl.
    She was supposed to be a tsundere taken to a logical extreme, including how a backstory can change someone. However, it generally backfired as she became the icon of tsundere instead. Life is weird.

The point of evangelion was to have everybody being unlikeable. Shinji is generally the opposite of the "cool hero mc" that these types of anime normally have, Asuka and Rei are extensions of the tsundere and kuudere archetypes, etc.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth

Moribund Warrior-Poet Lord Celebi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Homura View Post
    She was supposed to be a tsundere taken to a logical extreme, including how a backstory can change someone. However, it generally backfired as she became the icon of tsundere instead. Life is weird.

The point of evangelion was to have everybody being unlikeable. Shinji is generally the opposite of the "cool hero mc" that these types of anime normally have, Asuka and Rei are extensions of the tsundere and kuudere archetypes, etc.
    I'd disagree that they're intentionally unlikable. They all just have flaws and psychoses that prevent them from being normal. I generally like Shinji, Rei, and even Gendo because I understand their characters and why they do what they do. With Asuka, I just think that most of her tsundere stuff crosses the line for Shinji. Honestly, throughout the course of just the series, I think that Asuka did more to mess Shinji up than Gendo did.
    There's a Starman waiting in the sky!
    He'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds.
    He's told us not to blow it 'cause he knows it's all worthwhile.

Naw I think they are. This is Anno after all, and he explicitly stated, "I tried to include everything of myself in Neon Genesis Evangelion—myself, a broken man who could do nothing for four years." source of translation. In essence, he put much of himself into the story, mainly the parts of himself that he loathed. It's not saying that they can't be characters you can related to, because it's clearly how Anno sees it. However, through his words, it's clear his intentions were to make them unlikeable characters.

It's generally clear that he does not like the fanbase either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno
    Anime fans and the anime industry are also indefinite. In a manner of speaking all of Japan is indefinite. I hated this, and I wanted to construct a barrier between myself and society. Expressing it in terms of the show, it was an “AT Field,” a pattern [of behavior] where I would tear apart or reject anything that crossed the boundary line between myself and others. Perhaps [that was the] “barrier of the heart.”
    What is happiness?

Naw I think they are. This is Anno after all, and he explicitly stated, "I tried to include everything of myself in Neon Genesis Evangelion—myself, a broken man who could do nothing for four years." source of translation. In essence, he put much of himself into the story, mainly the parts of himself that he loathed. It's not saying that they can't be characters you can related to, because it's clearly how Anno sees it. However, through his words, it's clear his intentions were to make them unlikeable characters.
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean the character has to be unlikeable. If Shinji = Anno, then Anno just thought he himself to be unlikeable when he was a perfectly okay chap. Anno may think that these characteristics are normal because of depression, but it doesn't make it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean the character has to be unlikeable. If Shinji = Anno, then Anno just thought he himself to be unlikeable when he was a perfectly okay chap. Anno may think that these characteristics are normal because of depression, but it doesn't make it that way.
    Right, it might not come out the way it was intended, but it's pretty clear Anno set out to make a character unlikeable. I never stated that you as a viewer can't like the characters, just that they were intended to be unlikeable mainly due to what Anno set out to do.

Anno also set out to intentionally make Asuka essentially a disgusting character, of how a Tsundere might look like, and she instead became THE icon for Tsundere who's well loved by many otakus. What happened was completely the opposite of what was intended, even if it did work for you, as you do hate Asuka (she came out as intended for you). Same with Rei, Anno set out to describe another aspect of Shinji with Rei, but instead the fandom accepted her as her own character, even creating a new archetype of moe in the Kuudere.
    What is happiness?

Right, it might not come out the way it was intended, but it's pretty clear Anno set out to make a character unlikeable. I never stated that you as a viewer can't like the characters, just that they were intended to be unlikeable mainly due to what Anno set out to do.

Anno also set out to intentionally make Asuka essentially a disgusting character, of how a Tsundere might look like, and she instead became THE icon for Tsundere who's well loved by many otakus. What happened was completely the opposite of what was intended, even if it did work for you, as you do hate Asuka (she came out as intended for you). Same with Rei, Anno set out to describe another aspect of Shinji with Rei, but instead the fandom accepted her as her own character, even creating a new archetype of moe in the Kuudere.
    Point taken.

My understanding of the creep-factor with the Rei-fandom was that since she is, on the surface, a blank slate they can graft whatever personality they want on her. :X

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Am I allowed to join?

8. This post has been liked by:

@Noblejanobii

I am sure Homura-chan can make that happen.
    What are your favourite anime? :)

Check out my Artshop/Gallery! Formally known as Absol
    Paired with Shadow Tracker Max

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Favorite anime? Hm… that depends on which the regards you are speaking. If you're talking about the anime they show the younger age groups such as Avatar the Last Airbender (which taught me that not being able to see well makes you a bada**) and Beyblade then I would say Pokemon is my favorite. I'm still following it and it's starting to get good again (I almost stopped because of Unova). But if you're talking about anime like Durarara (one of my favorite openings ever), Fairytail (zodiac signs ftw), and One piece (don't even get me started here) then the Fate series (Fate/Zero, Fate/Staynight, and Fate/staynight unlimited Bladeworks) are my favorite.

Fairy Tail and Fate; we'll be very good friends~