Thread: Terrorism

Terrorism

Definition:
    Terrorism: is commonly defined as violent acts (or threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for a religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants. [Source]

The Question(s):

DO you think that acts of terrorism are becoming more frequent ?

What role does social media play in terrorism? Does this make terrorism more frequent/easier to do, or do more people just see it now?

Have you heard of any local acts of terrorism (malls closing over bomb threats, shootings, etc)?

Check out my Artshop/Gallery! Formally known as Absol
    Paired with Shadow Tracker Max

Do you think that acts of terrorism are becoming more frequent?
    Unfortunately, yes. With militant groups becoming braver and more relentless, these acts have been appearing in the headlines more often than the past few years. At first it was just ISIS, but lately I've been reading several other names like Boko Haram, which were never mentioned before.

What role does social media play in terrorism? Does this make terrorism more frequent/easier to do, or do more people just see it now?
    Social media definitely holds a huge influence on the people's minds. We now know that terrorist organizations have been propagating their messages via the interwebs and many young people are influenced to join their cause. Social media gives it wider publicity and coverage, especially when it is sensationalized without fail. The public's reaction has always been warped by social media, as some ignorant users spread racist stereotypes and perpetuate the cycle of hatred and xenophobia. Thankfully, that is not always the case, as the recent Sydney hostage crisis last year saw an online campaign #I'llRideWithYou which I found heartwarming and worthy of emulation.

Have you heard of any local acts of terrorism (malls closing over bomb threats, shootings, etc)?
    It's been rather quiet down here, in Singapore. Though that is not to say that we haven't had our fair share of run-ins. We have a few regional troubles such as the Jelamat Islamayah network and more. I do hope that our peace can be maintained, if not, at least a little more longer.