Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Somehow, I actually managed to get through all my years of high school without having to read The Great Gatsby, which is quite a feat considering that's usually a "Required Reading" staple when it comes to school. My sister and brother both had to read it, and unfortunately, from what they told me also, that's several hours of their lives they'll never get back.

I really couldn't stand Shakespeare stuff either. The guy definitely gets WAY too much credit for recycling the same themes and not even being very imaginative. I had to Cliff Notes Romeo and Juliet because the old English fluff practically made it unreadable for me and I was getting sick of it and just wanted it to be explained in real people terms.

Steinbeck stuff, I was ok with. Grapes of Wrath and of Mice and Men had their qualities. Wouldn't read them again, but I didn't feel like throwing them against the wall.

Anything by Hemingway was a chore. Farewell to Arms is probably hands down, the worst required reading I've had to endure and the style he wrote the book in has me convinced that anyone who thinks this book is a "classic" will be the first ones to be part of the infected, brain-devouring horde in the inevitable zombie apocalypse.
    Good for you. It was so boring. It basically centred around this boring-as-all-heck narrator who did nothing and contributed in no way to the story while he observed these odd affairs happening all over the place. I dunno. Wasn't for me. xD Passage to India was the worst freaking book I've ever had to read. Omg. It was so entirely pointless and boring.

I KNOW, RIGHT?! I guess everyone else was writing lousy plays at the time so he got the good word spread about him. Oh haha, that's a good idea. It's so dramatic. And, like, romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old? Um, creepy. No.

Yeah, that's how I felt about Of Mice and Men. Bahaha, can't say I've read any of Hemingway's stuff, but it definitely sounds like a chore. xD

Molly, you're so adorable! Otter Mii-kun's Avatar
    None of the required reading novels in high school were all that memorable to me. However, my favorite novel that my class read, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor, was actually read in sixth grade. I did read that one again my senior year of high school in an independent reading course. Roll of Thunder was a great account of racism in the United States during the Great Depression, and the story itself was something I found quite engaging.

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I read that in my freshman year.

Also just finished Beowulf for SAT prep tutoring. That was pretty awesome, too.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links