I Don't Like Romance.

Are there any genres you don't enjoy?

I agree with you there. xD I do not typically like the romance genre. However, that's only if the sole subject is the romance between characters. If there's romance in a story, I'm usually cool with it or, in many cases, in favour of it. (The only exception to this is random silly fanfictions starring two characters I ship. xD) I don't mind romcoms, even though they're almost always predictable and generic. Not my first choice in a movie. For me, romance in a movie has to be a 'side story' type of thing for me to like it--you know, happening in the background or something bigger and much more important.

I also hate horror. It's just not my thing. I watched one of those Exorcism movies and was too scared to sleep before 3am for a year. That really messed up my sleeping pattern. And consequently, my life. xD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Hm... well I agree with you and Xanthe, romance genre ain't my cup of tea. It's probably why I hated the Twilight series so much, since lust love is one of the major themes there. I love it when there's romance in a story, don't get me wrong I'm a die hard shipper, but it can't be the only thing. That's too predictable and boring.

Not a huge horror person. I scare easy and my guy friends tend to abuse that so I'm not going to be seeing anything like Krampus or The Forest any time soon. Though I might make an exception for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie.

I'm also not that into mystery novels. Nothing against people who like them, but I just don't see it. I never got into Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. It just wasn't entertaining for me. And nowadays I can predict it all because I've watched so much Scooby-Doo I can literally predict the criminal before the story is even over and what their motive was about half way through. Much like romance, I like the suspense you feel in a book when the characters know something you don't. Reverse dramatic irony, if you will. For instance, in the book I just finished earlier today, about halfway through the book, one of the main antagonists mentions his motive for being the way he is, saying he once wanted to marry for love, but his mother poisoned the relationship, the woman he loved went off and married someone else then had kids, leaving this character to become the evil man he is. When the character he is speaking with asks the fate of this woman, the man is silent then quietly replies, "she's dead." At this point, I was in desperate need to know who this woman was and it turned out to be some insane plot twist. That's the kind of mystery I like, the whole plot doesn't revolve around it, but having a form of dramatic irony added in is something I love. I will say though, mystery genre manga, for whatever reason, is different. I love mystery manga, with Detective Conan being my favorite of the group.

Lastly, I'm not a huge olden days fan. I know there are people out there who adore Shakespeare and Edgar Allen Poe, and while I will acknowledge that they are great writers, I've come to realize I'm one of the few people on the entire planet that hates their works. It probably doesn't help that my mom literally shoved Poe down my throat when I was kid so much I can recite The Raven from memory and Shakespeare is just hard to read. The language is different than what I'm used to and while some novels (Palace of Spies is a good example) are able to make it somewhat understandable, obviously these older writers couldn't do that. It's why I rely on the No Fear translations so much but even then it's not all that entertaining to me. I think the only reason I got so into Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Hamlet, is because one has an anime adaptation that is phenomenal (RomeoxJuliet), one is cursed (Don't say Macbeth in the theater), and one is the Lion King (don't believe me? Look it up). I mean, I just can't see it unless you have some sort of connection that helps keep you entertained.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I, for one, really like romance movies/novels! That's my favorite genre, and the only genre of books that I like to read. I'm just a hopeless romantic! I also like dark comedies (movies), heroic bloodshed action/fantasy/adventure (movies and books), horror (movies), and crime (TV shows). I think the only genre I really can't stand is war. I don't like war movies or books in the least (ironically I'm reading For Whom the Bells Toll as a choice book for my AP Literature class, but whatever).

|||||||||

I'm not into superhero movies; the only notable exceptions for me in the last ten years or so was The Dark Knight (and that was mostly down to the performance of Heath Ledger) and the recently rebooted X-Men films with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. I'm also intending to go see Deadpool with the girlfriend when that comes out, but I hardly see that being a particularly conventional film.

I remember when the Avengers came out and nearly everyone was shocked if they asked if I had watched it (which I had not). I was told countless times that it was a fantastic movie and that I really should; I finally acquiesced one evening when it was on the television (so long after its original release) and I remember being unimpressed. To be fair to it it was a decent film, but the stellar reviews that nearly all of my friends and acquaintances had given it I didn't feel it deserved. And that was the moment I definitely confirmed that superhero films were not for me.
    Completing Generation III

Heartfelt thanks to Neo Emolga for my avatar!

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Bleh, documentaries. However, "mockumentaries" (obvious fictional documentaries) are a heck of a lot more interesting. The way District 9 did it in the beginning of the movie was pretty good, but the later half of the movie started running low on steam.

Also, I honestly don't find too many romantic comedies all that funny, but then again, I'm not really the kind of target audience for that kind of thing.

In a sense, there isn't a single genre out there (to my knowledge, anyway) that I completely dislike and absolutely could not bear to indulge in, as there are always exceptions.

Anyway, the genre I dislike the most is sports. I'm turned off by just about anything where sports are the main focus, as I find them uninteresting. The exception? Sports that include some element of fantasy. From PangYa! to Mario Kart, if there is something fantastical about the sport, there's a chance I'll actually enjoy it. (Though, this mostly applies to video games.)

As for other disliked genres:

War: Really depends on accompanying genres and/or the setting, and if war is the main focus. I cannot stand modern warfare. I cannot stand futuristic warfare (as it's usually just modern warfare with more high tech stuff). I can totally indulge in media about wars between two kingdoms in a medieval setting, wars between superheroes, wars set in a fantasy world, etc.

Mecha: I do not like indulging in series that involves people fighting robots with other robots/people climbing into the robots and fighting others with them/what have you. However, I have seen some good mecha anime—Gurren Lagann and Code Geass come to mind—so I think it depends on how things are executed.

Documentaries: Depends on the subject matter and how it's presented. I fell asleep not more than twenty minutes into March of the Penguins, but found Super Size Me rather intriguing.

dreamwidth // plurk // tumblr // gallery
    gfx by lucia @ pxr // feat. lily white

i dont like it when romance is the main plot, but as shipper trash, romantic sub plots are amaaazing! this is why i read way too many comics on the linternet..
    and im really not all that on superhero movies. it's in the middle of realistic and very very not so it's just ticking off my ocd in too many ways. ofcourse, guardians of the galaxy's my one exeption to that, not really a superhero movie but, eh it's marvel. close enough.
    Join Date 2013-07-23
    Posts Per Day 0.13
    Well I'm probably the lowest posting active member. All a part of my brilliant strategy to make the few things i post seem good!

9. This post has been liked by: