Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I understand. And I do try to keep with the rules for the site I'm currently on, but as you saw on PFQ as well, every once in a while a double post gets through on accident, though I don't think I've broken any other rule on either site. And you're a moderator here now, so you'd only be doing your job with stuff like that, so I wouldn't hold anything against you no matter the circumstances.

Such profound truth in a quote. Oscar Wilde is very quotable (hmm, this reminds me that I should submit my favourite quote by him) and one of his books, The Picture of Dorian Gray, happens to be a philosophical favourite. I tend to gravitate towards those who thoughts and postulations are tinged more with grimness and shadow.

I don't actually know much or anything about Oscar Wilde, but that quote is great. o: I love questioning human nature because I have a huge problem with our species as a whole. xD

I'd say 9/10 from me for that one!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

@Suicune's Fire
    Totally go look him up. He's got some great works too. Ghostwriter actually already mentioned my second favorite work by him, the Picture of Dorion Gray, which is really good. I personally like the Importance of Being Earnest better but that's because it's so crazy that it just works and the whole thing just kind of comes full circle. XD
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I WIN. TAKE THAT, @Lunar Latias.

I mean. Oscar Wilde is my favorite writer. He's so witty. I really laughed out loud reading The Importance of Being Earnest. And The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably my favorite of the classics, and it's mostly due to Wilde's writing. The way he writes is just so pretty.

Regarding the quote itself, I love it. And it's so true. Though I see it less as speaking to the selfishness of human desire and more as speaking to the sad impossibility of human satisfaction. There's a certain thrill or drive that comes with desiring and chasing something. But the moment you get it, the feeling's gone.

There's also a very similar quote accredited to George Bernard Shaw. Never know who said it first, but I prefer Wilde, so...

Why do so many people hate humans. :(

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Why do so many people hate humans. :(
    Because it's what we do. Hate and be selfish.
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Because it's what we do. Hate and be selfish.
    When you understand that every behaviour is inherently selfish, you begin to realise that the best way to survive in this world is to be mutualistic.

| | |

Spoiler:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    When you understand that every behaviour is inherently selfish, you begin to realise that the best way to survive in this world is to be mutualistic.
    I was raised to serve others so most of the times I rarely do anything that aids me in any way. It's not the best system but it makes people happy, which makes me happy. But being self indulgent isn't all bad. It's a lot less stressful actually.
    / / / / / / / /

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    I was raised to serve others so most of the times I rarely do anything that aids me in any way. It's not the best system but it makes people happy, which makes me happy. But being self indulgent isn't all bad. It's a lot less stressful actually.
    It's a psychological/philosophical argument, but I do believe there is no such thing as an unselfish behaviour (we just like to think there are!).

Selfishness isn't always correlated with immorality. Understanding that was the first step to learning that taking care of myself is very important (especially when you're the type of person to ruin your own wellbeing for somebody else's - no one is that important). You just need to set standards for which selfish behaviours are okay.

| | |

Spoiler: