The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Are You a Hoarder?

By this point, I'm sure the word 'hoarder' is overused, but it's the only one I can think of right now that demonstrates my point. Lots of people around the world like to collect thing. Some, however, just can't get rid of their more useless items over time, if only because they have sentimental value attached. This leads to things piling up over time, and in severe cases it can lead to whole rooms being obstructed by possessions.

Personally, I'm only a slight hoarder; I don't like throwing things away that remind me of being a little kid because I'm so nostalgic. It's been a problem at times, but I like to think I can control it when I need to.

What about you? Do you like holding onto things, even though they don't have a practical use?

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yes. Very much so. I'm not like the hoarders on tv… yet. I mean, I'm reasonable about it, but if it has some sort of sentimental value to me, then I'll more than likely keep it. especially with books and stuffed animals. Rather than selling any of them when I was cleaning out my room like I said I would, I ended up keeping all of them and then going through all the neighborhood yard sales and buying more. So yeah…
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    For the most part I am. Recently I've been a little less so, but I still hate throwing out things.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Not really. I hate holding on to things I don't use or need. Every possession is a relationship with the mind.

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

pretty sure i'm hoarding unpaired socks with holes in them, because I NEVER FIND 2 OF THE SAME ONE! or one without a hole!
    also i used to have a lot of stuff hoarded up til i moved out from my parents' now i'm barely home. because it's lonely there so, i havent really furnished the apartment too much yet. only lived here 2 years, yo.
    so in other words, not really.
    Join Date 2013-07-23
    Posts Per Day 0.13
    Well I'm probably the lowest posting active member. All a part of my brilliant strategy to make the few things i post seem good!

Molly, you're so adorable! Otter Mii-kun's Avatar
    I have lots of things that I'm holding on to, some from when I was a child. I am especially into holding on to papers that I printed from computers.
    Every so often, my mom will get after me and tell me to get rid of some of my things. I find it so difficult to let go, that I admit to being a bit of a hoarder.

On the other hand, speaking of computers, I'm a MAJOR file hoarder. My network hard drive has so many documents, pictures, and program downloads, some of which date as far back as 1999, and every time I go through the directories, I can't seem to delete any more than one or two files from any folders. I've especially been wanting to keep stuff from 2003 and before, when I was relatively new to the Internet (I certainly won't delete any files that I made or downloaded with a last modified date from 2002 or older.)
    Particularly, I still have a Compaq Presario 2240 desktop PC originally released in early 1998 that a neighbor gave me in November 2001. I have used it every now and then just to relive the memories of Windows 95/98 and when I first got Internet access at home. But now, I'm actually considering getting rid of that computer finally. I just don't know how exactly to go about doing so, since it still works reasonably well for being 18 years old. (I'm not going to go into any further details about this issue here, but might cover my plans in a separate thread at a later date.)

In the end, my mom claims that if she wasn't around, I'd be a big time hoarder, eventually getting to be with the likes of those featured on occasion on Dr. Phil. Hoarding seems to be hereditary, since it runs in my dad's side of the family.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'm definitely not a hoarder. In fact, watching those shows gets me all itching to just throw a bunch of stuff in the trash.

I've written entire completed novels, some of the hundreds of pages long, and I've scrapped them entirely. Why? Because they were no longer my best work, I had no interest in rewriting them, and they wouldn't help as a guide for future writing. Also, stuff is just that. Stuff. I don't get sentimental over too many materialistic things.

I'm also not a collector. All of the hobbies I'm into can be stored on a hard drive or in a DVD, which takes little physical space. A lot of the older graphics I made were deleted, but to me, it's honestly not a big loss. Most of them were garbage anyway. If I'm capable of doing something better now, why look back?

Also, my policy is if I haven't used it in the last five years and I don't see myself using it five years from now, chances are pretty good it's useless junk that can be tossed. Only a few things that having personal meaning to them are the kinds of things I keep, such as keepsakes from family and stuff like that. But even so, I don't have all that many of those things.

Experienced Trainer Daughter of Mew's Avatar
    Hoarding runs in my family, but I'm very wary of it and do my best to prevent it. Books, soft toys, TCG cards and crafting supplies are my weaknesses. I've recently been decluttering because it got pretty bad recently, I still have a long way to go but it's getting better! I actually get a bit of a buzz from taking things to the charity shop now, which is kinda weird!!! I still need to go back to my family home and sort out my room there.

I'm never gonna let go of my Pokemon collection though. I love it all too much.

It depends on what kind of things. I hoard books. I hoard soft toys and plushies, even if they are time-worn and people tell me to discard them.