Calling All Metalheads!

We seem to have quite a few metalheads here. But there are so many sub-genres of metal and so many different bands. Which ones do like?

For me, I mostly listen to symphonic and gothic metal (you know, the ones that everybody knows aren't "real metal"). And I find myself listening almost exclusively to the ones with female vocals. I'm not sure why. I just find they fit more with the sub-genre, I suppose.

Some bands I like include Nightwish, Within Temptation, Delain, Epica, The Gathering, and Xandria. But my favorite at the moment is this really obscure Dutch gothic metal band called Autumn. Their music sounds completely generic on the surface, but it's so genuine and so much more complex when you really listen to them. I just love them so much.

Well, share away, guys. Let's see if any of us can find some new favorite bands!

(I think I'll link some stuff later.)

2. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

For me, it's mostly power and symphonic metal. As far as people feeling it's not "real metal," people like that can take their head out of their @$$ and deal with it, because this stuff sure isn't pop or rock. To me, it's metal.

I LOVE SABATON, but I also like Black Majesty, Nightwish, Masterplan, Powerwolf and some Xandria and Epica (I've only just started listening to those last two, but I really like Euphoria from Xandria and Never Enough from Epica). I used to be more into DragonForce, but I've been kind of shying away from it lately as I think a lot of these other bands crank out better stuff.

Sabaton is fantastic. A most of their songs are about war, but they're quite good and Joakim Brodén doing the vocals just thunders with badassery.

4. This post has been liked by:

Fate 

Melodic death metal, please, especially Amaranthe and Mercenary.

Symphonic/power metal is good too, but there's almost nothing new there recently.
    Ascension Drive. Faraway Sands.

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Progressive metal or classic metal here. My favorites from those genres include Dream Theater, Haken, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest. Recently I've gotten into a little bit of death metal, such as Behemoth and Dying Fetus.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    For me, it's mostly power and symphonic metal. As far as people feeling it's not "real metal," people like that can take their head out of their @$$ and deal with it, because this stuff sure isn't pop or rock. To me, it's metal.
    Agreed!

And awesome with the Xandria thing! Their latest two albums are heavier and more in the same style as early Nightwish. Their albums before that are a lot different, but I find myself preferring them, to be honest.