@Scytherwolf;

Episode 29: Blame It on the Rain

As the group arrived in a small forested area, where a modest house stood, a brown haired girl ran to meet them. "Are you looking for someone?" she asked.

"We're looking for someone named Kurt...do you know where he is?" Misty asked.

The girl smiled. "Yeah--Kurt's my grandad! He came home in a hurry just a little while ago, but when I has him what was wrong, he said something terrible happened at Slowpoke Well, and was going there to find out what that something terrible was. I hope he's okay..."

"We'll go help your grandad, okay?" Ash offered.

"You will?" Thanks!" the girl smiled. She waved goodbye as the group departed.

After retracing their steps back to the well, Ash led the way underground, with Brock not far behind. "Remember, stay together, as appealing as splitting up may sound." Brock cautioned as the three friends carefully climbed below the ground into the crystalline cave.

"Is someone there?" a familiar voice groaned in the distance. "I need help..."

Misty recognized a prone pink form on the ground. "Our rescuer from before!"

Ash hurried over to the man's side. "Hey...as thanks for helping us before, we want to help you in return." he assured the man.

"Can you tell us what happened here?" Misty asked as Brock examined the costumed man for injuries.

"I saw two hoodlums in a tank-like machine chasing the Slowpoke, laughing with glee as the sharp points cut their tails." the man weakly explained. "I yelled at them to stop, but they fancied me a large Slowpoke, and chased after me. Try as I might to get away, I tripped on a rock and hurt my back...and here I am."

"You guys go on ahead, I'll take care of our friend here." Brock began as he retrieved some medicine from his bag.

"Got it!" Misty replied as she and Ash hurried off into the deeper reaches of the cave.

---------

Great--Team Rocket's followed me here to Johto to cause even more trouble! Ash grumbled to himself as he followed Misty through the glittering cave. They likely won't rest until they have Tintri, but they're not gonna get him! I would gladly give my life for him if I had to, but he doesn't deserve to be the pet of a gang of criminals!

When he and Misty arrived in the largest room of the gave, he balked when he saw Team Rocket capturing more Slowpoke with nets. "Okay, Team Rocket! If you're gonna cut the Slowpoke tails, you're gonna have to answer to me!"

[Yeah!] Tintri agreed.

"You realize that the floor of the cave is wet, twerp?" James shot back. "So any electric attacks will shock the Slowpoke too."

"Then I'll just fight water with water!" Ash retorted before heaving a Poke Ball skyward. "River, I choose you!"

[Leave it to me!] River smiled as she emerged in a flash of light. [I may not look it, but I can lift heavy things like this tank!]

With that, she nimbly hoisted the tank in her paws, and heaved it into the air, Team Rocket screaming all the while. [Whoa--you weren't kidding when you said you could lift heavy stuff!] Tintri gasped in amazement.

A hiss of an approaching missile snapped him to attention. [River! Watch out!]

[AUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!] River screamed as the missile sent her flying across the cave, landing at Ash's feet. [Ash...I'm sorry...] was all she could say before she fainted.

The whir of the tank moving got Misty's attention. "There! They're trying to escape by digging a tunnel into the floor!" she called, pointing out the tank attempting to drill through the floor.

Just then, Brock arrived. "I have our rescuer stabilized--did I miss anything?"

"Team Rocket knocked River out with a missile, and now they're digging a hole in the floor." Misty reported. "We have to hold them off somehow."

Ash watched, bemused, as the remaining Slowpoke all stood up and began to walk out of the cave. "Weird...where are the Slowpoke going?"

"Let's follow them and see!" Brock led the way outside, making sure not to lose the Slowpokes in the winding tunnels.

They emerged on the edge of the cliff that surrounded the well, where all the Slowpokes were gathering. Once all the Slowpokes had arrived, they started yawning, which made the sky cloud up!

"By Arceus...it's raining!" Misty gasped as sure enough, rain began falling.

"It's coming down hard--let's get up on the well's roof." Brock suggested before helping the man up first, then climbing up himself. Ash followed Brock, and Misty brought up the rear.

From their position atop the roof, the group watched as water poured into the cave and down into the tunnel that Team Rocket had attempted to dig. After a few tense moments, the tank was washed out of the tunnel, cracked in two.

Ash grinned as he saw Team Rocket crawl out of the wrecked tank. "Fire when ready, pardner."

[AI-YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!] Tintri screeched as he unleashed a Thunder attack, which was made even more powerful by the rain.

"Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off AGAIN!!!!" the Rockets cried as the tank and its occupants went flying into the stormy skies with a ping.

Brock smiled, relieved that all was well again. "I wonder if there's any truth to the tale of the Slowpoke making it rain..."

"I'd like to think so." Ash smiled. "You've said it before--there's a grain of truth to every story."

"Your friend's right--the world is full of mysteries indeed." the man agreed. "Let's get back to town."

---------

Back in town, cheers filled the air as the river rushed by and the crops recovered. "...this young man and his friends have shown great character, and meant no harm to the Slowpokes before--they were travelers, and unaware of the rule against harming them." the man explained to the townsfolk. "Can you find it in your hearts to forgive an accident?"

"If they saved our town, we forgive them wholeheartedly!" the woman from before replied, to cheers from the crowd..

"How would you three like a tour of Azalea Town?" the man offered. "As thanks for your help."

"We'd love to, but we have to find Kurt--Ash was interested in seeing some of his handmade Poke Balls." Misty explained.

The group balked as the man removed his costume to reveal a dull teal kimono-like outfit. "I am Kurt, and he is me."

He smiled. "At the very least, I can give you some lodging at the house--I hope Maizie's all right..."

"She was worried about you--but at least now we can tell her you're okay!" Ash smiled, relieved that at least for now, all was well in the world.

To Be Continued...