Page 483 of 483 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483
Results 4,821 to 4,827 of 4827

Thread: Daily Pokemon Opinions

Used Thunderbolt! Arrow-Jolteon's Avatar

The Pokemon of the day is...

#166 Ledian

my rating: 6
    Ledian is, in a way, Johto's answer to Butterfree, what with being the fully-evolved form of an early game Bug-type that has the Bug/Flying combo. Unfortunately, Ledian is very weak even by early Bug-type standards due to having the weirdest stat distribution ever: it has great Special Defense, and decent Speed, but everything else is absolutely awful, including its HP, meaning it can't really put that Special Defense to good use. To rub salt in the wound, Ledian also gets a fantastic Hidden Ability in Iron Fist and a large selection of punching moves that many Fighting-types would kill for... but it gets a measly base 35 Attack Stat to make use of those tools. It's a big shame, because Ledian does have a pretty nice design, and is one of the very few Pokemon who looks cuter than its pre-evolution.

#555 Darmanitan

If you missed out on the Liberty Pass event that gives you access to Victini, Darumaka is the second option for a Fire-type after Simisage if you didn't pick Tepig. If you pick Darumaka to be your Fire-type coverage, it will evolve into this thing, Darmanitan, a very formidable Fire-type with gargantuan Attack that is bolstered further by its Sheer Force Ability should you use moves with secondary effects, and just enough speed to sweep through teams in-game. Darmanitan also gets an interesting Hidden Ability in Zen Mode which gives it a complete stat overhaul: its Speed and Attack drop to very low levels while its Special Attack and defenses are increased, turning it from a fast physical attacker into a bulky special attacker. It also gains a secondary Psychic-type by entering this mode. Unfortunately, due to bulky Pokemon working at their best with the fullest HPs possible, Darmanitan sadly cannot take good advantage of its Hidden Ability. It's still an interesting Pokemon regardless, and I like the demented daruma doll look it has.

Super Secret Double Agent #00156
    Site Editor

Senior Moderator

Chesnaught: 7/10

I like the knight trope. They really went hard with the medieval trope in this region and I really respect it. I think grass/steel could've been cooler but Chesnaught is not a bad mon by any means. Certainly an improvement on Quilladin.

Ledian: 6/10

The only thing I remember this monster of a mon for is silver wind in PMD. This monster has plagued me for many games and now all I feel is fear when I see it.

Darmanitan: 7/10

I've actually seen a few fan interpretations of this thing where it has like reverse zen mode which actually does it so better good but I think regular darmanitan just overall is better than the zen mode version.
    / / ///
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

#392 Infernape

my rating: 6.5
    Infernape is the final form of the Fire Starter if the Sinnoh region, and the second of the now much-maligned Fire/Fighting combo. Infernape is clearly based on the character Son Wukong from the story Journey to the West, and beyond the design, this basis is also reflected in that Infernape is apparently the most powerful of the Sinnoh starters if competitive rankings are anything to go by. That being said, I do feel that part of the reason we all got tired of Fire/Fighting as a type combo for starters can be traced back to the Generation this monkey was introduced in, specifically the lack of Fire-types: Diamond and Pearl literally had no options for Fire-types besides the Chimchar and Ponyta lines, so it makes sense that Chimchar would be picked more than the other two starters to make up for the lack of Fire coverage, since Ponyta was unfortunately rather weak in DP. Platinum did fix this issue by adding more Fire-types and giving Ponyta better moves, but by then the damage was most likely done: everyone had used the Fire/Fighting combo enough to get bored of it.

Site Editor

Senior Moderator

7/10

I remember the first time I played Diamond, despite Piplup being my favorite at the time, for one reason or another I picked Chimchar as my starter. As a result, Infernape has remained as one of my favorite fighting types to use. The nod to Son Wukong and the power behind this line is undeniable. Plus the lack of fire types made it quite the popular choice. ^^; I feel bad for Emboar since it's actually not a bad mon, but it just can't compete against Infernape and Blaziken as its predecessor.
    / / ///

#325 Keckleon

Kecleon is an interesting gimmick Pokemon that gives a cute creative spin on its animal basis: the chameleon is famous for changing the color of its skin depending on certain factors such as the animal's mood. In Pokemon, this is translated as Keckleon outright changing types depending on the moves it was hit by. Sadly, this was extremely easy to exploit for Keckleon's opponent's advantage, rather than for Keckleon itself, so Keckleon was kind of just a gimmick for a while. Then it got the Protean Ability, which did basically the same thing Color Change did but in a manner that Keckleon itself could exploit more easily. Keckleon's low stats still make it something of a gimmick, and it's sorely outshined by Greninja, but at least now it can actually use that to its full potential.

Site Editor

Senior Moderator

7/10

I think the thing I like the most about this mon is the fact that there's a purple one that shows up in the anime and in PMD, causing people to think that purple kecleon is the shiny one. I still have friends that don't realize the blue striped kecleon is the shiny variant, not the purple body one.
    / / ///