Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Awesome to see this story make a return!

I remember really getting into it, even made a wallpaper for it and drew all the characters by hand, but I don't remember where I left off in the story itself. It's been quite a while. Still though, this is definitely one of the best fics I've ever read.

Also, that artwork in the first post is fantastic. You really can't help but love all of the characters in this story, even the bad guys in their own, nefarious ways.

2. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post

I remember really getting into it, even made a wallpaper for it and drew all the characters by hand, but I don't remember where I left off in the story itself. It's been quite a while. Still though, this is definitely one of the best fics I've ever read.

Also, that artwork in the first post is fantastic. You really can't help but love all of the characters in this story, even the bad guys in their own, nefarious ways.
    Yes, this! It's awesome to see another story in this section too. c: I always loved this story and I need to reread some of it again. Especially the newer chapters... xD Which I think you don't have up possibly? Unless I'm mistaken, haha. But anyway, it would be great to get back into this again. c:

THANKS FOR PUTTING IT UP!

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post

Thanks so much, Neo! I have a fair bit of free time now, so if my motivation persists, I should be able to finish it!
    I still have your wallpaper, by the way. It really was well done, and such a great depiction of the characters. I love it. :D

I'd also love if you could continue reading it, but no pressure or anything. xD I really need to get back into writing again, I'm probably rusty at the moment! But this will help. And thanks! I need to draw more art for my story. :3 I have a lot that I haven't posted, though. Just random sketches and stuff.

I know what you mean. I love all my characters, both good and bad. They all have motives behind what they do, so it's not like they bad for nothing. No one was born that way (minus Deoxys), so you can't help but feel for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yes, this! It's awesome to see another story in this section too. c: I always loved this story and I need to reread some of it again. Especially the newer chapters... xD Which I think you don't have up possibly? Unless I'm mistaken, haha. But anyway, it would be great to get back into this again. c:

THANKS FOR PUTTING IT UP!
    Uh, I have the last chapter up that I've written...but that's the old one. The new one should be up within a couple of days at the most. 8D I LOVE IT. Totally getting back into writing again!

I wonder if the chapters are daunting, since I posted them all at once. X3 But no one says you have to read them all in one go! I look forward to having you read it again. :p Actually, I need to re-read my story, too! x:

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    Uh, I have the last chapter up that I've written...but that's the old one. The new one should be up within a couple of days at the most. 8D I LOVE IT. Totally getting back into writing again!

I wonder if the chapters are daunting, since I posted them all at once. X3 But no one says you have to read them all in one go! I look forward to having you read it again. :p Actually, I need to re-read my story, too! x:
    Oh, it's because you haven't linked them on the first post yet and that's what I was looking at. x) THAT'S WONDERFUL! @Dragon Master Mike when you have time, you should toooooooootally read this. It's one of my favourite stories and it helped inspire TtEoaF!

Hahah maybe! I wondered the same when I posted all the chapters of TtEoaF. Lel. And nah, I don't plan to reread the entire thing; maybe just a few chapters. xD Plus I don't think I've read past, like...chapter 33 or something? I'll figure it out. c:

~SF.

Oh, it's because you haven't linked them on the first post yet and that's what I was looking at. x) THAT'S WONDERFUL! @Dragon Master Mike when you have time, you should toooooooootally read this. It's one of my favourite stories and it helped inspire TtEoaF!

Hahah maybe! I wondered the same when I posted all the chapters of TtEoaF. Lel. And nah, I don't plan to reread the entire thing; maybe just a few chapters. xD Plus I don't think I've read past, like...chapter 33 or something? I'll figure it out. c:

~SF.
    Ah yeeeeees, I remember. It was late so I didn't do it last night, BUT I'LL DO IT NOW! Before I go to bed. Then it's done! :3 Aww, thanks for referring my fic! I love it when people love stuff I write. 8D

Oh, I didn't expect you to read it from the beginning. I just meant thanks for reading it PERIOD. xD LOL I wouldn't expect you to start it again! That's way many chapters, woman! I think I was crazy for planning out such a long story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    Ah yeeeeees, I remember. It was late so I didn't do it last night, BUT I'LL DO IT NOW! Before I go to bed. Then it's done! :3 Aww, thanks for referring my fic! I love it when people love stuff I write. 8D

Oh, I didn't expect you to read it from the beginning. I just meant thanks for reading it PERIOD. xD LOL I wouldn't expect you to start it again! That's way many chapters, woman! I think I was crazy for planning out such a long story.
    OKAY GOOD IDEA. 8D Ahaha no worries. c: I know how you feel. cx

Haha okay coolies. And lol, it's not that long, girl! That doesn't make you crazy at all. I consider TtEoaF, like, halfway done, if that. I dunno. xD Long lengths are awesome!

OKAY GOOD IDEA. 8D Ahaha no worries. c: I know how you feel. cx

Haha okay coolies. And lol, it's not that long, girl! That doesn't make you crazy at all. I consider TtEoaF, like, halfway done, if that. I dunno. xD Long lengths are awesome!
    IT'S ALL DONE. I need to pass out now.

I suppose not, I just really love long stuff. xD I know I should probably take quality over quantity...but I just can't seem to get enough when it comes to reading or writing! I love long stories. Technically, with all my chapters, I could have made the three parts of the story in three separate books. Might have been easier to do so...

LOVELY. SO MUCH HARD YAKKA.

Hahaha maybe! I pretend to have books... xD Like, divisions. I really don't have any separate story arcs or whatever but I thought it was cool to assign them to different sections of the story so I did that. XD Which was pointless, sorta, but oh well. IT'S ALL IN GOOD FUN. And yes, I agree! 8D Long stuff is great! If you really get into a story, it can be surprising how long they can get. xD One I used to write but cancelled a year ago was nearly 600,000 words long. Feck. I wish I'd put that effort into TtEoaF instead. ;A; Then it'd be so much longer! Wah! Hopefully TtEoaF WILL get that long at one point! xD

~SF.

LOVELY. SO MUCH HARD YAKKA.

Hahaha maybe! I pretend to have books... xD Like, divisions. I really don't have any separate story arcs or whatever but I thought it was cool to assign them to different sections of the story so I did that. XD Which was pointless, sorta, but oh well. IT'S ALL IN GOOD FUN. And yes, I agree! 8D Long stuff is great! If you really get into a story, it can be surprising how long they can get. xD One I used to write but cancelled a year ago was nearly 600,000 words long. Feck. I wish I'd put that effort into TtEoaF instead. ;A; Then it'd be so much longer! Wah! Hopefully TtEoaF WILL get that long at one point! xD

~SF.
    What story did you write that was THAT long? O.o

The really super-long awaited chapter 39 is up! For those of you up to date with the story, I urge you to read it! IT'S INTENSE.

---------

Chapter 39;
    .............tactician

---------

“Come on,” I whispered urgently as I hastened my feet to move. One paw was clutching a piece of scrapped paper that I had recently scribbled on; the other was dragging Altair roughly by my side.

“H-hey!” The Pikachu tried to dig in the soles of his feet, but I tugged him along regardless. It was either keep up, or fall and be dragged. He knew I was strong enough to do so. “Where are we going all of a sudden? Zanna! What’s gotten into you?”

I whirled then to face the Pikachu, dropping his paw and nudging the sheet of paper repeatedly with a finger. “You’re what’s going on; you’re a genius!” I replied with enthusiasm. “Thanks to your words, I found how we’re going to take out Deoxys. You told me that the best way was to solve a problem was head on, right?”

“Well…yeah,” Altair suggested tentatively, “but I didn’t mean that was how we should take down Deoxys! You’re insane! No plan like this would ever work against him. With your Light powers leaking out as they are, he’ll be able to find you before you can even hoist a sign screaming ‘HERE, I’M RIGHT HERE!’ You’re a homing beacon!”

A gleeful smile lit my face and I bent to grab the Pikachu forcibly by the collar of his neck-fur, much to his surprise. “That’s why you’re going to teach me.”

A shocked look crossed Altair’s features. “Now? But the others don’t even know I’m–”

“No, not now,” I told him. “Later. First I’m going to introduce you to everyone.”

“What? But Zanna, I don’t think you’re going about this the right way – you’re being too brash!” I didn’t bother noting the Pikachu was beginning to sweat. My actions had been rather hasty, but I was so full of zeal it was just impossible to contain. He had given me a brilliant idea, and with his earlier offer to help me mask my position, it was turning out better by the second.

I grasped his paw once more and led him onwards, despite another onslaught of objections. As I reached the doors where the meeting was taking place, continuing to drag the Pikachu in my wake, I turned to Altair and motioned with a single finger to remain hushed. He blinked at me with confusion. Then, without even waiting for the protests that were sure to fly from his mouth, I pushed open the doors with fervour and tossed Altair inside.

The Pikachu wailed as he flew through the air and rolled upon the floor, halting only when he’d hit the stone legs of the large table that rested within the room. “Owowow…” He rubbed his head with a paw gingerly, shaking it to clear his swimming vision. “Zanna, what…” But he stopped there.

I smiled.

For now the eyes of more than two-dozen Pokemon were trained on the Pikachu sitting in the center of the room.

“This,” I remarked, “is how we make our way into Deoxys’ lair.” And I crossed my arms with a grin as a pandemonium of incredulity thundered over us.

It was a contest of who could make the loudest remark while trying to remain sophisticated. There wasn’t a winner. In the midst of all the tumult Altair began edging away towards the door, rather unsuccessfully. The moment he tried I placed my paws on his shoulders and dug in my claws, just slightly, but enough to get the point across. The Pikachu never tried to depart again.

“Who is THAT?” Jarre questioned, propping himself up on the surface of the marble tabletop.

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Rye glance away, elbow on table, claws resting under his chin. He was doing his utter best to forget about last night. Well that made two of us. He didn’t acknowledge my entrance, or Altair’s, or even bothered to look interested. At least it didn’t seem he’d told anyone about Altair, I figured that was something to be grateful for. It slightly dulled my sour feelings, though it did nothing to stem the nervous pounding in my chest.

Codan had risen from his seat, which squeaked against the stone floor as it was pushed back. Lani lifted her head at our abrupt entrance and was trying her best to remain composed. I just knew she was itching to know why I had burst in with such vehemence. Tali, Dash and Eon were situated on the farthest side from where I stood. The latter was crying out at the top of her lungs, merely – I thought – to provoke everyone else to continue their onslaughts of shouting. The former two were eyeing me with a questioning gaze, though sparing equal time to glance at the newest member of our group. It was the new second in command, however, who spoke first.

“Silence!” he boomed across the room with a voice that reverberated off the walls. Everyone instantly ceased what they were saying and turned to the Pokemon in question. Virok’s second in command, Grimlock – who everyone mainly just called Grim – was not one who you wanted to mess around with.

Grimlock the Zoroark was sturdily built, with a musculature system that left nothing to be desired. His pelt was soft silver, ridged with darker hues closer to the flank. A sharp grey tuft of fur nestled into his chest, which spread out into a V-like shape, stretching towards his shoulders. Crimson claws laced the ends of his fore and hind legs, hooked to emanate a menacing aura. His muzzle was formed in a very fine point, and his golden eyes were narrowed in concentration. Akin to his eyes, the bead that tied the crimson mane back on the Zoroark was also gold. The same grey hue as his tufts flecked out from the ends of his mane in jagged points. At this moment they ruffled wildly through the air as Grimlock peered around the room, commanding everyone to listen to his will. The Zoroark was not malevolent in the slightest, but he held the air of one who led. And that was the difference he had with more than half the Pokemon in this room alone.

“Zanna,” the Zoroark stated, blinking his large golden eyes down towards me. “I was under the intention that you were not attending this meeting. Tell us instantly what the meaning of this disruption is. Who is your friend here?”

“-I’m”

“Is that Altair?!” Jarre chirped with apprehension.

Grimlock turned to give the Torchic an accusing look, and Jarre shrank back against the scales of Codan’s chest, quelled from the outburst of his interruption. Several murmurs raced around the room, but quietened once more as the Pikachu in question pushed up from the floor and dusted himself off, trying once more to speak.

“My name is Altair, as I believe the Torchic has already notified you.” Altair turned his head slightly to cast a glance at Jarre. “I’m not quite sure where to start, as most of you know me as the first ever Light Pokemon who perished over ten-thousand years ago.” The Pikachu raised a paw behind his head and grinned around the room nervously. Several Pokemon were beginning to glare at him, obviously wondering how such a nervous Pikachu could ever have saved the world from imminent destruction. I knew it was because he wasn’t used to crowds. He didn’t know how to interact with others. He’d been alone for such a long time. Maybe it wasn’t the best decision to have forced him in here after all. Just when Altair opened his mouth to speak again, I manoeuvred my way in front of him.

“Altair came here from the realm known as the Farplane, which coexists peacefully alongside our own world. It is where the dead go after they have ceased living. As a Light Pokemon myself I have a connection to the Farplane, and to Altair. While he resided within, Altair could ‘pull’ me across to the other side where I could communicate with him. During this time I would either be asleep or unconscious, but it was a way that we could connect and share what was happening within Talzere.

“It became known to me recently that there was a way to cross to this world from his, through this.” I retrieved the Orb of Sorrow from my fur and held it up to the eyes of the viewers, twisting it on my palm so the surface gleamed. “This is known as the Orb of Sorrow, and it is one of the Orbs of Altair that apparently inhabit the earth. Many of you no doubt know the tale.” At this I caught several nods, and continued along my line of thought. “The orb showed me a vision in which Altair stabbed himself with a blade summoned by Darkrai” – several sharp intakes of breath – “and it was that blade that granted him the physical form to live in our world. Altair has come here seeking a way to help me on my journey to stop Deoxys, and I believe he has given me a brilliant idea.” I flashed a grin at the Pikachu behind me who returned it with gratitude.

“But who is not to say the ‘magical’ dagger that drew our friend here was not some sort of tool in our own demise?” One of the Missionary elders spoke. For the life of me, I could not remember his name.

I looked to Altair questioningly. It was indeed possible that some dark power had brought him here. Darkrai could have placed a tracker within Altair for all we knew. It was a very risky situation he had put us in, and I wasn’t entirely sure how to remedy the situation.

“I would be willing to undergo tests,” Altair chimed in, glancing at the elder and giving my paw a small squeeze in reassurance.

“No. Altair, you can’t possibly-”

“It’s alright, Zanna.” The Pikachu smiled nervously. “If I have to prove that my being here is worth a world of good, then I’ll be glad to do it. Anyway, if Darkrai has somehow done something to me, I’d like to know as much as anyone else here.” He took a deep breath to steady himself. “I came here to stop this war, and help everyone in Talzere. If I’m going to be a hindrance to this mission, then I don’t want to be here at all. I’m a liability. So we need to be sure.”

“But my training,” I whispered. I didn’t mean to turn this on myself, but I also didn’t want to admit my fears to Altair. I, too, was worried that Darkrai could have done something to him. And I simply refused to think about it any further.

“No, Zanna. I have to do this. And you have to let me.”

I nodded hesitantly. I didn’t agree with the situation, but it was the best we had to go on right now. Grimlock appeared to concur. “Very well. The Pikachu, Altair, shall be submitted for testing beginning tomorrow morning. You have the rest of today to prepare and enjoy yourself, so I suggest doing so. Any more questions?”

“I have one.” Codan’s paw hung in the air, a pointed claw towards Altair. “I can’t help but notice Altair’s fur is yellow. Is he not a Light Pokemon, as the stories suggest?”

Altair shrugged. “That is true. I am a Light Pokemon. I’m not sure why my fur turned yellow, really.” He bent his head towards his tail. “The same white circle is etched to my tail, as it is for Zanna.” He scratched his head.

“Maybe it’s because you have to be in your Light State, as Zanna needs to be?” Codan nodded in my direction.

I agreed. “Altair, I know it’s different, but maybe you should try using your light powers? Think of something to get you all worked up.”

“I suppose…” The Pikachu closed his eyes and concentrated intently. We all waited. One minute passed, then two, but nothing happened. Altair remained as yellow as ever. He cracked open an eye. “Zanna, it’s not working,” Altair whispered. A worried tone had crept into his voice. “Why isn’t anything happening?”

“Um…” I grew agitated. “What are you thinking of? Maybe try something else?”

Altair merely shook his head. “I don’t think any other thought could get me an angry as I am right now.” I narrowed my gaze slightly but didn’t ask any questions.

“Well, then…what does this mean? Are your powers gone?”

“I don’t know, but everyone’s staring at me.”

He was right. Every single eye was trained toward us. I grinned sheepishly. “Uh, Altair’s having a little trouble right now. I think he’s weary from the transfer over. Maybe we should try again tomorrow, before the testing?”

Grimlock nodded. “As you wish.” He addressed the room. “I believe we should let the young Pikachu rest, for now. Please refrain from any more questions until tomorrow.” The crowd grudgingly agreed, though I could tell they were all eager to do the exact opposite. Altair inched closer to my side.

“I’d like to share a plan with you all now, if you will allow it.” At a nod from Grimlock, and a wary look from Rye, which I ignored, I took a seat at the marble table and gestured for Altair to do the same.

For the next hour, after everyone had gotten over the initial shock of seeing Altair in the living world, I divulged my plans with the others. Several times I had to refrain from snapping to remind them that this was a meeting to help us trap Deoxys and not a twenty-questions interview for Altair. However much the Pikachu deigned to answer their comments, it wasn’t enough, and I was beginning to pull my fur out over the matter. I ground my teeth together gradually, knowing it was not good for me, but still unable to help it.

“Alright, so if we’re decided-”

“Altair, what was it like to live in your time?” Another inquisitive mind piped up.

“HEY.” My sudden outburst caught the attention of everyone in the room. “This is not the time to be questioning Altair! I know you all must have a tonne of questions for him, but that can come later. Now is a time for planning, and we must do it before Deoxys is at our doorstep!” I fumed. My patience had worn thin. These…Pokemon!

“She is right.” Rye had pushed his chair back from the table and stood, paws resting lightly on the marble edge. “We must devise a plan of action before Deoxys and his followers near us. You can squabble amongst yourselves later.” Rye didn’t look in my direction, or even close to it. He didn’t acknowledge me. But he did acknowledge my words. And it seemed to work.

“Forgive me, Lord Rye. I meant no disrespect.” The Pokemon in question raised an arm to its chest and bowed slightly to the Elekid.

“Alright,” I tried again. “Are there any other comments?”

Everyone remained silent. I looked to Grimlock for further enquiries. The Zoroark nodded. “We shall reconvene tomorrow at dawn. I suggest everyone consider what young Zanna has offered and prepare for what you must do. Dismissed.” He waved a paw in the air and everyone rose to his or her feet, eager to escape the dreary halls. This place was beginning to feel more and more like death these days. I breathed a sigh of relief. For now, it was over. There was much I had to do, as well.

Altair and I dropped from our chairs just as Codan and Lani came to my side, each offering words of gratitude and wisdom. “Good plan, little one.” Lani nudged me with her muzzle and I wrapped my paws around it in silent thanks.

“I only hope it’s enough to get us through. It’s very risky.”

“No kidding.” Jarre appeared to my left, glancing back and forth between Altair and I. “Zanna, you’re talking about going into Deoxys’ lair! I’d say it’s more than risky, I’d say you’re certifiably insane!” I chuckled lightly at my friend’s comment, but this really wasn’t a laughing matter. I knew the risks; we all knew the risks. But this was the best possible plan we had at the moment, and it seemed like the only one that might actually work.

“Well I think it’s genius,” Codan said. The Dragonite smiled and rested a paw on my head in encouragement.

“Even I’ll admit it’s insane,” Altair agreed. “But I believe in Zanna. So I think there’s a good chance this will work.”

Everyone nodded. “Well I’m going to do a little sightseeing before the training begins,” Jarre said. “Never know when your last day is.”

“Depressing thought,” I murmured. The Torchic grinned.

“You know me, ever the optimist. See you around Zanna. Altair.” The Torchic said his farewells and left the room.

Lani spoke up. “We, too, have much to do in the way of preparation, little ones. Take care of yourself until tomorrow. Stay well, Zanna.”

With the departure of Lani and Codan, that left Altair and I alone in the room. Or so I thought.

“Zanna.”

A paw touched my shoulder lightly and I jumped, loosing a few sparks in the process. I whirled around. “Rye! You scared me!” Then, remembering how vehemently furious I was with the Elekid, glared in his direction. “What do you want?” I could feel Altair’s fur bristle at my side, equally as irritated. Rye, however, simply ignored him.

“I would like a word with you later, if you would. Please meet me at the waterfall when dusk arrives.”

“I’ll consider it.” I clenched my teeth. My words cut sharp, but I didn’t for one-second show any pain. I would be better than that.

The Elekid paused for a moment and then withdrew from the room without a further glance.

I breathed out deeply, not realising I had been holding my breath. Rye’s presence had all but taken everything out of me. I had to hold it together for the meeting, but now with just Altair beside me, I almost felt like I could fall apart. All these feelings…it was beginning to become too much to bear.

Altair’s warm paws wrapped around me and I blinked in surprise. “What?”

“Let me help you,” he muttered softly into my fur.

Oh, right. We were still Light Pokemon, and that meant we were still connected. His powers may have dulled, but it was clearly evident he could sense my emotions. I couldn’t fathom why I didn’t receive his emotions as directly as he did mine. For the first time it occurred to me that I never really knew what Altair was thinking. That was strange. But just when I was about to ask he released me, smiling warmly.

“Better?”

I nodded, lifting my lips a little in reply. “Yes, thank you.” Altair had drained much of the sour emotions from me, leaving only a little in its wake. He spread a calming aura throughout me. I felt much more energised now.

“Come on.” Altair grabbed my paw and led me from the room. “If we’re ever going to defeat Deoxys, you had better learn to stop leaking your powers all over the place.”

“You’re going to train me?” I questioned, peering up at him. “Without your light powers?”

Altair shrugged. “I’m sure going to try. All right, hotshot. Let’s see what you can do.”

~*~

Three hours and several attempts later had put both Altair and I in soured moods. I held up my paws in frustration. “We can go over this as many times as you want, in as many different ways as you want, it’s still not going to work.”

“It really isn’t that hard to focus your chi, Zanna,” Altair scolded with a disapproving frown. “Even an Aipom could feel it and act accordingly.”

“Well I’m sorry I’m not an Aipom!” I shot back, flopping onto the grass with a growl.

At Altair’s request to coach me, we had located a small field to the west of Wingardom City in which to train. The military had offered us a training ground, but I refused. I wouldn’t be caught dead playing soldier amongst the rest of them. It wouldn’t have worked out since I preferred to train alone, anyway. The flowers scattered amongst the grass were already in bloom, and their sweet scent drifted into my nose, cleansing the negative emotions from my mind. For all of a few seconds.

“Oh, just look at all that energy leaking out of you!” Altair’s voice drifted toward me. “It’s positively golden!

“Shut up!” I picked a large pebble from the ground and tossed it in his direction, but the Pikachu merely sidestepped the incoming stone.

I growled again. Fighting head-on I had absolutely no trouble with, but when it turned to the energies inside me, I was at a loss. If every Pokemon had chi within them, how come I couldn’t feel mine? Did some deficiency as a Light Pokemon block my chi? No, of course not. Altair could contain his fine. In fact, as a training exercise, he’d forced our connection on lock-down, focusing his chi into blocking the link between us that I could usually exploit. I felt no familiar humming energy from him and that was unnerving. Altair had told me if I wanted it back, to simply use my chi to unblock his. Easier said than done.

“Come, on, Zanna. Dig deep! If you give up now, Deoxys wins.” I sighed. That was true. Thrusting my paws against the ground, I heaved my body up into a sitting position. “All Pokemon have several pools of energy within them,” Altair continued. “But only Pokemon in tune with their chi are able to access them. In turn, utilising your chi will help your light powers grow stronger, causing you less energy loss when you happen to call upon them. If you know how to tap into your chi, you’re able to turn it on or off at will, much like a faucet.” Altair paused and tilted his head slightly to the left, a paw resting on his chin. “Now, what light abilities have you tapped into again?”

“Um, I can heal – you gave me that one – and recently, when I was battling Virok, I teleported. But I’ve only been able to do that once,” I said hurriedly. “That was the first time I’ve ever used a power on my own.”

Altair frowned. “Really, that’s all? When I had my powers for as long as you have, I-”

I shot daggers toward Altair so vehement the Pikachu halted in his tracks.

“Uh, never mind. In that case, we’ll start with your teleportation. Let’s work on that. I believe, since you have such trouble utilising your powers that they will only become readily accessible to you once you learn to harness your chi. Your energy is probably leaking out so rapidly that your body has no store to rely on. That leaves you with only a margin of what you could achieve. So!” The Pikachu smacked his paws together. “Tighten the faucet, focus your chi, and I’m sure your powers will begin to work in your favour. But first thing’s first. How did you teleport to begin with?”

“Um, well…” I had teleported in front of Virok to save Rye from being crushed into a tiny yellow pancake. That had happened when I was under a great deal of desperation, because I had no choice. In fact, my light powers only seemed to occur when there was no other option available. If that was the case, then how on earth was I supposed to use them now? I didn’t think standing here in a field with Altair constituted the definition of desperate. “I had to save a friend from attack and I wouldn’t have made it otherwise. My powers only seem to work when I’m in real need of them.”

“Hmm, I see. Okay. I know this is going to sound crazy, but roll with it. I want you to meditate.”

“You want me to what?!” My lips burst open as a raucous chuckle escaped. “Next you’ll be asking me to sing with the daisies.”

Altair plastered his paws to his hips and glared. “It’s not a joke, Zanna. This is going to help with your training. You need to block out everything else to feel what is within.”

“Fine, fine. But don’t say I didn’t warn you. I’m not exactly good with the whole ‘silence’ thing.” I gestured air quotes with my fingers.

“I’ll say.”

I ignored the remark, instead choosing to cross my legs and focus on the task at hand. While I wasn’t great at meditation, I decided to give it a try. Maybe what Altair said was right. If I could block everything out, my mind could tune into my body and perhaps locate the reserves of chi held within. Steadily I drew in a deep breath, expelling the air and closing my eyes. That’s it, obstruct everything around you. Focus on within.

I sat for what seemed an eternity. The sun was warm against my back, my fur beginning to stick with sweat. My body began to hum with a lazy energy that bordered on a comatose state. I no longer heard Altair. Either he was not nearby, or I had tuned him out of my surroundings. What I did hear weren’t the obvious sounds, such as birds chirping or trees rustling. Instead, my mind slowly began to focus on the miniscule details of the earth. My excellent hearing was able to locate the slightest vibration in the blades of grass. I caught the fluttering wings of Butterfree positioned to my left, far outside the city walls. And most of all, I felt my heartbeat. The motion of my chest rising and falling seemed so fluid. If I focused intently, even further, I could not only feel my heartbeat, but the blood as it rushed throughout my veins, carrying life toward…chi!

There it was, nestled deep, deep within my body. My reserve of chi! I had found it! But Altair had said there was more than one pool of chi. Would I be able to locate others? Slowly, but surely, I followed the stream of energy that wound itself through my body. The intricate paths streamed in many directions and it was difficult to follow concisely. With time I found two other pools, but managed no more. My body heaved with exhaustion. It was time to relay the news to Altair. My eyelids had grown heavy, and were hard to open, but they obeyed when I willed it.

“Altair!” A small gasp escaped my lips. It was nearing dark. The moon was almost whole within the sky, and its light filtered through the clouds onto the face of a gently snoring Pikachu. I smiled lightly, and then peered over my shoulder towards the Missionary. Night had come so fast. How long had I been meditating for? I really needed to get back before everyone else began to wonder if Deoxys had kidnapped me.

I turned back toward the sleeping Pikachu. He had sprawled out on his stomach, gently blowing puffs of air into the blades of grass before him. His breathing was even and his face looked serene, as though he hadn’t a care in the world. I noted the humming vibe beginning to wake once more throughout my body. With his guard withdrawn, I could feel our connection once more. The calming aura that surrounded the Pikachu drifted into me, and I bathed in it.

Sluggishly I walked over to Altair and lay on my back beside him, lifting my gaze towards the stars. They lit the sky brightly tonight, as the full moon drew nearer. When it did, I had no doubt the twinkling lights would be the most dazzling I’d ever seen them. I twisted my head on its side and pressed my forehead to Altair’s cheek. He felt so soft and warm, and if I focused, my ears could find the steady beat of his heart. When he was asleep, Altair looked every bit the child he still was.

Noting that, I frowned and muttered under my breath. “He is not going to be happy when I wake him.”

~*~

I peered out my window toward the waterfall winking at me in the moonlight, clear as day. Dusk had passed some time ago. Altair had been given his own room, so I was relieved of guard duty. It was odd though. I couldn’t tell whether I was glad or disappointed to not have a constant companion around.

I hadn’t deigned to make an appearance at the rendezvous point, as Rye had asked. Though however I considered it, there was a nagging feeling for me to see what he wanted in person. I lowered my paws to my stomach. Butterflies swarmed within. I felt nervous. No surprise there. When it came to Rye, I was always nervous on some level. I also felt incredibly angry, guilty and depressed. How had I not imploded yet? I shook my head slowly from side to side to clear my thoughts. The waterfall still sparkled brightly.

All right, then. I pushed away from the windowsill, closing the shutters hastily. I would go see what Rye wanted. I would listen to him, albeit irritable, and I would do it all while remaining dignified and indifferent. Yup. That’s how it would go down. At least that’s how I persuaded myself it would be. It might have been the only thought that pushed me out my door.

My feet carried my body automatically towards the waterfall, still remembering the path from the day before when Altair had appeared before me. I wondered why, of all places, Rye had chosen the waterfall as a meeting place. It was where he had seen me with Altair. Didn’t that cause any anguish for him? Did he not care? Or did the waterfall hold some other meaning I didn’t know?

The grass felt slick beneath my feet. Despite the approaching warmth that spring brought, rain still fell at night. The moon was bright enough to light the droplets as I passed them; dew that would greet me in the morning. My gaze was fixed on the ground, but I willed it to move upwards as I approached the meeting point. It was late. There was no reason for Rye to still be here. Why would he wait for me? I was the one who had turned him down. We had both been hurt, but his actions had caused this. Or maybe I was just being close-minded.

I shook my head once more. My footsteps halted. The rush of cascading water met my ears and thundered within. And there, at the foot of the waterfall, situated on a rock, head in paws, was Rye. So he was still here after all. Anger and relief flooded me at the same time. I didn’t know which emotion was stronger.

Even above the roar of the water, Rye heard me approach. His head turned at my footsteps, though he did not smile. His mouth remained in a thin line, and his eyes appeared weary. He looked tired, distressed. Had I expected him to be happy? No, I suppose not. Who would be overjoyed at a situation such as this? Part of me wanted to sit alongside him on the rock, but I remained where I was, sure that he would not want my company. And I would not give it.

Rye met my gaze, green against blue. “The funeral has been set for the day after tomorrow.” His tone was flat, but his words held so much hurt. So this was what he wanted to talk about? His father’s funeral?

“I’m sorry,” I offered, unsure of how to reply. What could you say to comfort someone whose relative had just died? There was nothing to say. All one could do was present a formality. A cool breeze blew past and I wrapped my arms in my fur for warmth. Rye noticed and opened his mouth to speak, then appeared to have thought better and closed it again, returning to the same straight line as before.

“I don’t need your sympathy, Zanna.”

“Then what do you want?” I stared at him with narrowed eyes, challenging. “Why did you call me here?”

“You still wear the ribbon I gave you,” Rye noted.

I did. I had never thought about why I couldn’t throw it away when Rye left. I suppose some part of me always clung to the thought he’d return. And the markings etched upon it were remarkable. The dialect was one I needed to discover. So of course I wore it. But that didn’t mean I was about to admit any of that to him. “And your point is?”

The Elekid sighed. “Look at the water.”

“What?”

“Just look at it.”

I huffed, but did as he suggested and stared. It was beautiful, even in the darkness. The moonlight hit the streams just as they cascaded over the rocks, sending sparks of colour through the air. Miniature rainbows. It was somewhat awe-inspiring and magical at the same time. “Beautiful.”

Rye nodded. “Water is a lucid form most of the time, but add something to it and it can become malleable.” The Elekid leaned over the edge of the rock and skimmed his paw above the water, flecking it with droplets that matted his fur. “There are so many variables, so many things it could become. The challenging part is getting it to bend to your will, however. Even in a malleable form, there is always something that could go wrong.”

I peered at the Elekid. “Surely you didn’t bring me here to talk about water.” I paused and my next words came out in whisper. “You’re referring to me, aren’t you?”

“I’m referring to us,” Rye corrected, shifting his eyes to mine once more.

This time it was my turn to sigh. “Rye, we’re-”

“What, Zanna? What are we? Because if you know the answer, I would really like you to share it.”

I hugged myself tight. I could feel my claws dig into skin. “We’ve been over this. I don’t want to talk about it.”

“But I do.” Rye had slipped off the rock and stood facing me, roughly two metres away. “I can’t always abide by your rules.”

“You struck Altair!” I shot back. “That’s not what a friend does.”

“No, Zanna, you’re right. That’s not what a friend does. It’s what a boyfriend does.”

“You are not my boyfriend,” I hissed. “Not anymore.”

“And Altair is?”

“I didn’t say anything like that!” My breathing had picked up pace. This was absolutely ridiculous, and exactly why I hadn’t wanted to meet with Rye in the first place. “You assume the worst of everything. Why, for once, can’t you just give me the benefit of the doubt?”

“He kissed you, Zanna. That doesn’t just ‘go away’.” He mimed quotes in the air for good measure. “And now he’s brought himself here, in a physical form. What am I supposed to think? What am I supposed to do?”

“You’re supposed to believe in me,” I pleaded. “Trust me. What is there between us if there’s no trust?”

Rye grit his teeth. “Maybe there’s nothing.”

Silence. It was almost as though I’d been physically punched in the chest. His reply knocked the air out of me. “Is that…is that what you want there to be? Nothing?” Even my own words felt hollow.

The Elekid ran a paw through his fur. “Forgive me, that was out of line. Zanna…I literally went to hell and back for you. I did the best I could with what I was given. I was going to die, and then you saved me. You were the light that brought me home. So I did the only thing I could do. I learned to harness these powers I was given so that I could be around you again. Because you…you of all Pokemon, bring out both the best and the worst in me.”

I watched as Rye raised his paw, the yellow hue tainted with a shade of onyx and crimson. “No…” He couldn’t, not again. Memories came flooding back, and I fell to my knees, paws clutching the ground for support. Blades of grass snaked their way through my fingers, as the poison did through Rye’s body. My stomach churned, and a dull ache began to throb in my tail, where the bones had sewn themselves back together, though never fully repaired. Tears welled in my eyes. Would this never end?

“Zanna, look.” Rye’s voice snapped me out of my reverie. Unwillingly, I drew my head upwards once more. The onyx and crimson hues had receded, leaving not a single hint of fur out of place. Every strand was gold and black, as it should be.

“What…?”

“I can control it now,” Rye whispered, shooting me a pleading look. “The training Darkrai put me through was rigorous, and extreme. At times I even felt as though I wouldn’t make it. However it was all worth it, for this moment.”

Rye slowly knelt down beside me and placed a paw on my shoulder. “I don’t want be apart from you any more, Zanna. You can trust me.”

My breaths were still laboured, and I willed myself to control them. Perhaps Rye isn’t a threat after all…if he can control it. “But what if…what if Darkrai did something to you? He’s evil, Rye. Evil beings don’t just do something for someone and expect nothing in return.”

“Then I will face it when the times comes.” He gave me a justified look. “I am grateful for what he did, Zanna, regardless of his intentions. If that is selfish of me, then so be it. For once, I think I may be a little selfish.”

I took all of this in. I had Deoxys to face, but Darkrai was still an ever-present threat, even in corporeal form. There was just too much darkness that had snaked its way into my life. Would I ever be free from it? As though sensing my angst, Rye drew nearer and I felt the warmth of his body through my own, reminding me of old times passed. I revelled in the moment, though there was no use pining over a time that was gone.

“Sometimes I feel as though it’s too much,” I murmured towards the ground, paws trembling slightly. “There’s some great weight pressing me down, and I don’t know if I can get up again. Or if I even want to.”

As I was considering this, I felt warm paws circle my waist and heave my body upwards. Before I knew it, I was placed steadily on my feet, claws supporting my wavering frame. “No one said you had to do everything by yourself, Zanna. Look, you’re standing again after all.” For the first time in days, Rye smiled at me warmly. And it was a smile that reached all the way to his emerald-flecked eyes.

Disregarding my own trepidation, I threw my arms around the Elekid’s neck, burying myself into his fur. The smell was so familiar. The silkiness of his fur greeted me as it had that day we rolled in the hills together. The day we’d fought to save the PRA. The day I’d saved him from succumbing to the poison. The day he left. Every moment came flooding back in an instant. Why had I never seen it before? Rye had been with me from the very beginning. And I realised I wanted him here until the very end. In any way. In any form. I wanted him here. Even if he discovered I was human.

“I’m sorry.” The words were uttered softly into my fur. An apology I wasn’t even sure I deserved. Both of our hearts had been broken. Both needed mending. It had been a long winter.

I withdrew from Rye’s embrace shakily. Smiling nervously, I held a paw out in front of me. “Nice to meet you, I’m Zanna.”

Rye glanced at me with a raised eyebrow.

I frowned. “You’re supposed to greet someone you just met.”

“But we didn’t-”

“We both need a fresh start,” I interrupted. “So why don’t we wipe the slate clean?” It wouldn’t be easy, but it would be a new beginning. I tried again. “My name is Zanna. Nice to meet you.”

Rye tilted his head slightly and lifted his mouth into a lop-sided grin. “Well met, Zanna. My name is Riley.”

And as Rye grasped my paw I felt sparks build inside once again. Just like the day we first met.

“Oh,” Rye dropped my paw and reached inside his fur, withdrawing a round, shiny orb. “I found this in the wreckage of the battle.” He said it casually, but I could tell underneath that façade of his that the Elekid was hurting. “This is the real reason I wanted to talk to you.”

“Is that the Orb of Life?” I peered at the shiny surface. A red swirl of energy flowed from within. “That’s one of the Orbs of Altair. Virok said it could give or take life, right?” I glanced at Rye who drew a sharp breath. Oops. I’d just said his father’s name. Perhaps it was too soon for that. “Uh-”

“It’s a very dangerous object to have,” Rye interjected. “I thought that perhaps, since you already have an orb in your possession, that you should hold onto this one?” He passed the orb into my outstretched palm. “I’m sure Altair knows a thing or two about that. You should verify with him.” The Elekid was flippant in the remark, though I knew he loathed Altair.

“I’ll ask him tomorrow. We have a training session together.”

Rye raised an eyebrow.

“He’s helping me to mask my light powers,” I amended. “I’m worried Deoxys is able to trace me since I don’t know how to use them properly.”

“That’s wise.” Rye lifted his paws to look at them. “I’m wondering if I am the same. If, maybe, that Darkrai can trace me. He did give me these powers, after all.”

“I sure hope not. All the same, maybe you should check with Altair, too?”

Rye merely cast a blank stare in my direction.

“You’re right. That was a long shot.” I sighed. “Anyway, I should go now. It’s late and I need rest for tomorrow’s training.” My lips rose into a light smile. “Goodnight, Rye.”

“Zanna.” Rye grasped my paw and held tight. “Listen. I know you trust Altair, but we can’t be sure for what reason he returned. And yes,” he added, seeing the intense look of disapproval on my face, “I’m not his biggest fan. However, I don’t hate the guy. He has your best interests at heart. Apparently. Just please be wary of him. I know…you two are close.”

“Rye…” No. It was no use arguing with him. Arceus knew how stubborn he was. Sometimes the Elekid reminded me more of a Tauros.

“It’s my fault, Zanna. All I can do now is to be here for you. Before all else, I am your friend.” He offered me a smile, but it was weak. “Now go. You need your rest, and I need to be alone for while.” I felt Rye’s claws edge away from me, and the Elekid withdrew to the rock he had been perched upon when I arrived.

I glanced down once more at the Orb of Life. Another mystery to unravel, so it seemed. Yes, I would ask Altair about them. Maybe they could help us to defeat Darkrai.

As the night clouded over, my eyes drifted back to Rye. His knees were drawn to his chest, his chin placed atop. He had gone through as much turmoil as I had. Seeing him there, I wanted nothing more than to bury myself in his fur, tell him jokes, cheer him up. But that was impossible now. Trust was torn, and that had to be mended before anything else. Above all, I valued that. I could see he did, too.

And so I placed the orb within my fur and made my way toward my room in the Missionary, clutching the white ribbon around my neck so tightly that my fingers began to throb. For once, I didn’t look back.