Winter 2014 Contest Rules, Info, and Entries

Since Pokemon: Rising Shadows is going to be on hiatus until just after Christmas, I decided to host a contest to help pass the time!

Considering the timing of the hiatus and the contest, I decided that the theme will be based around the Christmas holiday!

Basically, create an image- or story- depicting what you think one or more of the PRS cast would likely be doing with their families during the holiday season! The entries do not have to be directly Christmas-themed. It can revolve around other holidays like New Years, Hanukkah, etc. if you see fit!

Since the families of pretty much all of the characters aren't really known at this point- I'll post up some information (and sketches for some) for each family- except ones that would involve spoilers (Talon/Naya, basically).

You may include as many, or as few, family members you want- they are just given for those who want to include them. If you think -character- might spend the holiday season alone, then you're welcome to draw them alone!

I will feature random contest entries on the SJ site until normal updates resume after Christmas.

So, for a more brief list of rules...

Rules

• Draw or write about whatever you think any of the PRS cast might be doing during the holidays.
    • Must be winter-themed at least. Use of any holidays is allowed.
    • Must be PG / PG-13
    • Must contain at least one PRS cast member that has appeared in the comic.
    • You may use multiple characters if you wish.
    • Information on each character's family will be provided for your convenience. You do not have to use this.
    • Entries can be written, drawn, etc.
    • You may enter one art entry and one written entry, but not two in the same category.
    • Entries are to be posted in the contest thread on the Pokemon: Rising Shadows sub-board on the Pokemon Crossroads forum.*
    • All entries are to be posted by 11:59PM on December 25th.
    • No discussion in the contest entry thread- there will be a separate thread for entry discussion and voting.
    • Be respectful to other entrants. Constructive feedback is allowed, but no bashing or attacking other entries. Doing so will get you disqualified.
    • Rules are subject to change at any time. (As needed)

*This is so I can keep track of all entries by having them all submitted in one place. PRS is posted on a few different sites, so one location for entries just makes it easier for me to keep track of.

Prizes

The prizes will be split into two categories- Art and Writing. Each category will have separate prizes- so writers and artists will not be competing against each other except for the First Place Overall. Prizes may take a while to complete due to a busy schedule, but I'll do my best to get them done! First Place Overall winner is not eligible for first place in their specific category (to allow others a chance at prizes).

I'll also put up a poll for everyone to vote for their favorite entry.

Judging will take place when I return from my trip in early-January. (I'll be gone from the 20th of December to I think the 2nd of January.)

First Place Overall
    - Fully colored/detailed commission of any non-human characters- background included. Two characters max.

Winner of each Category
    - Fully colored drawing of any non-human characters with simple background. One Character Max.

Fan Favorite
    - Fully colored drawing of any non-human character with a simple background. One Character Max.

More prizes will be added if we get more entries than I anticipated.

Family Information

This is just for those who want to add in some of the family members of the character they choose. Please note that not all of the family members will be named- only those who I know will eventually make official appearances in the comic will have names. The information below is subject to change as the comic progresses, but for now- it's accurate! -shot-

Feel free to ask any questions- I'll do what I can to help!

Note: For those who want to avoid ANY sort of spoiler- even very minor ones, don't look at Mist/Jasper's section since every character in their list will eventually appear in the comic. Since they appear the comic, they will have sketches included- some of the sketches are old- some were redone for this.

Spoiler:
    Naya
    Spoiler:
    No information on Naya's family can be shared without spoilers of any sort. Sorry! Feel free to include Naya with any of her friends though- they're the closest thing she has to family now!

Mist / Jasper
    Spoiler:
    Mist is from Starfall City- or rather, just outside of it. While she has a home in Skycoast town, her real home is the Starfall Manor, located right outside of the city. She inherited the estate from her parents, though the manor itself is run by her adopted family in her absence.

While her real family is unknown- Mist has very few memories of her parents and doesn't remember ever having siblings- she considers those she grew up with in the manor as her family. This includes a large number of ghost and psychic type Pokemon- and Jasper.

Jasper is one of the Pokemon that helped care for Mist- she often looks to him like a big brother and occasionally tries to steal his gems. He sometimes gets overwhelmed by Mist's craziness, but is rather protective of her.

The Sableye moved to Skycoast town to help keep an eye on Mist. He works as jeweler and has a good eye for rare gems.

'Lady' Garnet
    Species: Delphox
    She is the current head of the manor and oversees everything that goes on. She's generally quite friendly, though a bit formal at times. She's pretty level-headed compared to most of the group, but she kind of has to be or else there'd be pure chaos.

Her appearance is a little different than that of a normal Delphox- namely the fur on her head and the staff that she carries.

Character Sketch

Elene
    Species: Meowstic (Female)
    Elene is a very serious no-nonsense type of Pokemon with a slight temper. She often took care of Mist and some of the other younger Pokemon- much to her dislike. She would never admit it, but she cares a lot for everyone in the family, even if they do drive her insane more often than not. She's second in command after Garnet, so whenever Garnet is out, Elene is put in charge.

Character Sketch

Ramsley
    Species: Chandelure
    Ramsley is the third caretaker of the Starfall Manor. He works as the cook- and takes great pride in what he does! He's generally very professional when he's working to the point of being a little uptight- but he relaxes a little when he's off the clock. He's also very good with younger Pokemon, so he doesn't mind looking after some of the younger members of the family for Elene when she starts to get overwhelmed- they never seem to give him the same trouble they give her though!

He also wears a purple bow-tie for some reason.

Character Sketch

Lily
    Species: Purrloin
    Lily is the youngest of Mist's 'family' - she can be very shy with strangers, but is very playful with those she's comfortable around. She's also very curious.

Character Sketch

Varen
    Species: Haunter
    Varen is a bit of a prankster who loves nothing more than to drive Elene crazy- or anyone else. He sometimes takes his pranks a little too far- and doesn't always realize it- but he means well. Usually.

Character Sketch

Cheri
    Species: Chimecho
    Cheri is always the first to welcome visitors to their home. She's easily the most outgoing and talkative of the group- but not to the point of being annoying. She's highly curious and loves to be helpful- though isn't always good at being helpful.

Character Sketch

Rin and Tia
    Species: Ralts / Kirlia
    Rin and Tia are siblings who are known to bicker a lot. Rin often finds his older sister to be a bit overprotective and often prefers to be alone. Tia is mostly just concerned for her brother, and isn't afraid to show it.

Character Sketch (Rin)
    Character Sketch (Tia)

Esper
    Species: Shuppet
    Esper is a friendly shuppet who is often seen hanging out with Cheri. The two are close friends and are rarely seen without the other. She loves to play games- and sometimes aids Varen in his pranks to keep things interesting. She also enjoys reading books in the library with Dusk... she gets along well with just about anyone!

Character Sketch

Dusk
    Species: Duskull
    Dusk is a quiet Pokemon who often prefers to keep to himself. He finds the company of books more interesting and has taken the role as unofficial librarian.

Character Sketch

Leo
    Species: Espurr
    Leo is Elene's nephew. He's never spoken- not that anyone has ever heard- but is more than willing to play with the others and participate in nonsense. He seems to notice when someone is feeling down and offers them quiet support! Those not used to his silence often find him a bit creepy or unnerving.

Character Sketch

Talon
    Spoiler:
    Nope. Can't say anything about Talon's family. Spoiler reasons. He does stay with Mist in Skycoast town though. There's that. She's as close to family as he has. Whether he wants it or not.

Echo
    Spoiler:
    Nope. Not going to say anything relating to who Echo is or whether or not Echo has family. If anyone wants to portray Echo in an image, Echo can appear in Naya's reflection- even outside of her dreams.

Isthmus
    Spoiler:
    Isthmus' mother was a Milotic and his father is a Gyarados. He was raised in the reefs along the shore south of Skycoast town.

Pudgey
    Spoiler:
    Pudgey's father is a Pidgeot who runs the Pidgey Postal Service. He also has three siblings- two sisters and a brother- all of whom are pidgeys. Only his brother is part of the postal service though!

Amber
    Spoiler:
    Amber's mother is a Lopunny and her father is an Alakazam. They've got a strange family- but they make do! Amber's mother is hyper protective of Amber and worries nonstop when she's gone. Her father is away a lot, but the two are very close! Amber has a little sister- a Buneary!

Aden/Arden/Ace
    Spoiler:
    Aden, Arden, and Ace are all siblings. Their parents have both passed on, so they've only get each other. They do, however, consider the entire flame guard family!

Lucy
    Spoiler:
    Lucy's mother is a Fletchinder and her father is a Talonflame. She's got one younger brother. They don't live in Greyfog town- she moved to Greyfog town in hopes of joining the flame guard, despite not yet being a fire type. She considers the flame guard her second family.

Bern / Ashe
    Spoiler:
    Bern and Ashe are siblings whose parents were killed when the Houndoom tried to overthrow the flame guard. They have this sibling rivalry thing going on most of the time- though, unlike his sister, Bern is a sore loser. Despite Bern's sometimes less than perfect attitude, he considers the flame guard to be family with the exception of Nyra, who he distrusts. Ashe does not share his feelings regarding Nyra.

Nyra
    Spoiler:
    When her family was exiled, she was taken in by Ace's father and raised with Ace and the twins. She doesn't admit it, but she considers them her family- and the flame guard.

Sunny, Lara
    Spoiler:
    Sunny and Lara are the other two flame guard members who don't see much screen time. Sunny is the Torchic, Lara is the Torkoal. As newer members of the guard, they're often seen together- but they do get along very well with the rest of the guard (for the most part).

Sunny is an only child to a single mother- a Combusken. Lara has a sister, but her parents are both deceased. The two, like the others, consider the flame guard family.

Entries

Spoiler:
    SilverLunarWing

RobinHoude
    Spoiler:
    Snow fell lightly outside a house in Greyfog Town. With only one room, it was small but cozy. Naya, a flareon, lay alone on a soft bed by the fireplace. She yawned, stretched, and promptly flopped back down on the bed. This weather must be making me sleepy, she thought drowsily. At least no one else seems to be doing anything either.

"Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya!"
    The shouting outside was accompanied by soft objects thumping against the door. Groaning, the flareon slowly rolled out of bed. This is becoming a recurring event, she thought ruefully. The irregular thumping continued as she lumbered over to the door. She quickly opened it and stuck her head out into the frosty air.
    "What is it? Did something hap—umph!" Without warning, a snowball flew into her mouth.
    "Gotcha!" Aden and Arden giggled and ran behind a wall of snow they built not far from the house. As usual, the twin growlithes had come prepared for mischief.
    "You rascals!" Naya chuckled. "Save some snow for me!"
    With that, she jumped out the door and hurriedly built a small snow fort. It wasn't much, but it would provide some cover. Without hesitation, the twins began slinging more snowballs at a rapid pace. Fortunately for Naya, they weren't very accurate. After dodging a few snowballs, Naya threw a volley of her own. While most of hers missed by a bit, one of them was close to finding its mark. As the snowball flew towards Aden, he blew fire at it, melting it instantly. The burst of fire was large enough, however, to also melt the wall of snow that he and Arden were hiding behind. The twins stopped and glanced at each other. Naya, seeing her opportunity, sent another barrage of snowballs at them.
    "Run!" they yelled as they dove for cover.
    The snowball fight continued for several more minutes, in which time Naya was hit several times and the twins at least twice each. While she began to tire, they seemed to possess limitless energy. Not for the first time, she huddled behind her snow fort while snowballs flew overhead.
    "Enough!" she panted. "I give up!"
    "Only if you do our chores today," called Arden.
    "Arden, it's Christmas," Aden whispered. "We don't have any chores."
    "Yeah, but she doesn't know that," Arden whispered back with a wink.
    "Fine," hollered Naya, not hearing the twins' conversation. "What do I need to do?"
    The growlithes hopped over Naya's fort. "Nothing much, just deliver a few packages. Come on, let's go!"

After a trek towards the center of the town, they arrived at a brick shed. Inside was a large stack of boxes wrapped in bright colors. Naya inspected them as she entered. I wonder what they are for. Walking over to the boxes, she picked one up from the top.
    "Hmm. 'For Lucy.' Who's it from?"
    "Ace says that a fat red person brings them every year," replied Aden. "We tried staying up last night so we could see him, but he snuck past us. Grab a few more and we'll start giving them out."
    Naya picked up a couple more. "This one's for Sunny, and—Hey look! Arden, this one's for you."
    "It is? Yay!" Arden bounced in a circle. "Let's put it aside for now and get another one."
    The trio set out carrying a few packages each. Fortunately, finding the recipients was faster and easier than Naya had expected. Within an hour, they were delivering the last one, which was addressed to Ashe. Naya knocked on the door of the house that Ashe and Bern shared. After a few knocks, heavy footsteps approached the door. Bern, a charmander, opened the door and stepped out.
    "So, did you incinerate any of the presents this time?" he asked, as grumpy as ever.
    Naya gulped and answered. "No, actually. I've kept them out of trouble."
    "Good. Those two go unsupervised too often as it is," grumbled Bern. "I take it this one is for Ashe?"
    The flareon nodded. "I'll take it before those furballs set it on fire," he grunted. Without another word, he stepped inside and shut the door.

The three trudged back to the shed. After walking around in the snow, Naya was cold, wet, and ready to get back to her fireplace. They found Ace, the arcanine older brother of the twins, waiting inside the shed.
    "Looks like you three made quick work of the presents," he remarked. "But I think you forgot something."
    Turning, he walked over to a corner of the shed. "Out of everyone here, there is one person who hasn't gotten a present yet."
    He walked back carrying another wrapped box. "Merry Christmas, Naya!"

Nashew

Last edited by Nekomata; 01-14-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Alrighty- time to announce the winners!

Before I do that, I must say that there have been changes to the prizes and how they will be distributed due to the small number of entries.

Originally, I had prizes for each individual Category (Writing / Art), but since there were only three entries, I'll just rank them based on a traditional 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. That said, the first place prize remains the same. The second and third place prizes will be the same. To recap, here are the update prizes:

1st Place
    - Fully colored/shaded drawing with a background of choice. Two Characters Max.

2nd and 3rd Place
    - Fully colored/shaded drawing with a simple background* One Character Max.

*Simple backgrounds are typically just colors like this, but suggest something that would be simple or easy for me to paint (like , and I'll consider doing that... heck, just ask- as long as it isn't too complicated I'll probably do it. xD

While the contest was ultimately a failure of sorts, I would like to give a huge thanks for those who entered. This will be the first and last contest that I will hold for Pokemon: Rising Shadows, so it means a lot that the three of you took the time to enter and participate in this.

Anyway- All three of you win a prize! That's good, right? The first place winner was really really hard to decide (it really was- I'm not just saying that!), but here we are...

3rd Place
    Spoiler:
    @Nashew
    Spoiler:

Talon, Talon. He would be the one to opt to spend the holidays alone. He's always such a anti-social grouch. Good thing Mist isn't around... he doesn't get much reading time with her around!

2nd Place
    Spoiler:

Frolic by @SilverLunarwing.

Spoiler:

Did I say that you can never have too much fun with the twins in the last entry? Yeah. Still can't. Gotta love how the twins came out in this one. This is probably one of those extremely rare days where they aren't up to (too much) mischief. That might have something to do with their brother being there! They all look so happy out in the snow!

First Place
    Spoiler:
    Naya's Christmas by @RobinHoude!

Spoiler:
    Snow fell lightly outside a house in Greyfog Town. With only one room, it was small but cozy. Naya, a flareon, lay alone on a soft bed by the fireplace. She yawned, stretched, and promptly flopped back down on the bed. This weather must be making me sleepy, she thought drowsily. At least no one else seems to be doing anything either.

"Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya! Naya!"

The shouting outside was accompanied by soft objects thumping against the door. Groaning, the flareon slowly rolled out of bed. This is becoming a recurring event, she thought ruefully. The irregular thumping continued as she lumbered over to the door. She quickly opened it and stuck her head out into the frosty air.

"What is it? Did something hap—umph!" Without warning, a snowball flew into her mouth.

"Gotcha!" Aden and Arden giggled and ran behind a wall of snow they built not far from the house. As usual, the twin growlithes had come prepared for mischief.

"You rascals!" Naya chuckled. "Save some snow for me!"

With that, she jumped out the door and hurriedly built a small snow fort. It wasn't much, but it would provide some cover. Without hesitation, the twins began slinging more snowballs at a rapid pace. Fortunately for Naya, they weren't very accurate. After dodging a few snowballs, Naya threw a volley of her own. While most of hers missed by a bit, one of them was close to finding its mark. As the snowball flew towards Aden, he blew fire at it, melting it instantly. The burst of fire was large enough, however, to also melt the wall of snow that he and Arden were hiding behind. The twins stopped and glanced at each other. Naya, seeing her opportunity, sent another barrage of snowballs at them.

"Run!" they yelled as they dove for cover.

The snowball fight continued for several more minutes, in which time Naya was hit several times and the twins at least twice each. While she began to tire, they seemed to possess limitless energy. Not for the first time, she huddled behind her snow fort while snowballs flew overhead.

"Enough!" she panted. "I give up!"

"Only if you do our chores today," called Arden.

"Arden, it's Christmas," Aden whispered. "We don't have any chores."

"Yeah, but she doesn't know that," Arden whispered back with a wink.

"Fine," hollered Naya, not hearing the twins' conversation. "What do I need to do?"

The growlithes hopped over Naya's fort. "Nothing much, just deliver a few packages. Come on, let's go!"

After a trek towards the center of the town, they arrived at a brick shed. Inside was a large stack of boxes wrapped in bright colors. Naya inspected them as she entered. I wonder what they are for. Walking over to the boxes, she picked one up from the top.

"Hmm. 'For Lucy.' Who's it from?"

"Ace says that a fat red person brings them every year," replied Aden. "We tried staying up last night so we could see him, but he snuck past us. Grab a few more and we'll start giving them out."

Naya picked up a couple more. "This one's for Sunny, and—Hey look! Arden, this one's for you."

"It is? Yay!" Arden bounced in a circle. "Let's put it aside for now and get another one."

The trio set out carrying a few packages each. Fortunately, finding the recipients was faster and easier than Naya had expected. Within an hour, they were delivering the last one, which was addressed to Ashe. Naya knocked on the door of the house that Ashe and Bern shared. After a few knocks, heavy footsteps approached the door. Bern, a charmander, opened the door and stepped out.

"So, did you incinerate any of the presents this time?" he asked, as grumpy as ever.

Naya gulped and answered. "No, actually. I've kept them out of trouble."

"Good. Those two go unsupervised too often as it is," grumbled Bern. "I take it this one is for Ashe?"

The flareon nodded. "I'll take it before those furballs set it on fire," he grunted. Without another word, he stepped inside and shut the door.

The three trudged back to the shed. After walking around in the snow, Naya was cold, wet, and ready to get back to her fireplace. They found Ace, the arcanine older brother of the twins, waiting inside the shed.

"Looks like you three made quick work of the presents," he remarked. "But I think you forgot something."

Turning, he walked over to a corner of the shed. "Out of everyone here, there is one person who hasn't gotten a present yet."

He walked back carrying another wrapped box. "Merry Christmas, Naya!"

I had a lot of fun reading through this! All of the characters were accurately portrayed in the setting- and you can never have too much fun with the twins! I can't get the picture of Naya with a snowball in her mouth out of my head though. xD Poor Naya though- she never seems to win! The twins would like to argue that their aim is perfect though (I can't say I agree with them.)

Overall, I just loved how this went. It was true to the characters and is actually something that I could imagine happening between all of those characters.

You can discuss the details of your prizes with me via PMs or Notes on here, DA, or Smackjeeves. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Nekomata; 01-14-2015 at 07:53 AM.

6. This post has been liked by:

Hey, 3rd out of 3rd! I won! xD