View RSS Feed

VeloJello

New World - AKA Velo Blabs About Art For A Time

Rate this Entry
Hi! Okay, so, as you may or may not know (you probably know if you've talked to me for > .2 seconds) I'm an art person. I draw on a consistent basis and juggle several artistic projects at a time. Currently I'm enrolled at U of M Flint and while my major (Computer Science) was chosen for sheer stable job value, I plan on minoring in Visual Communications and getting my foot as firmly lodged in the door as I possibly can.

What's great is that I'm making progress. I did a few pieces for this year's WAR; they were sitting around gathering cobwebs in my system, so when the literary magazine QUA began offering open submissions, well, what else was I supposed to do with the files? I submitted both non-fanart pieces - one of them didn't get in, but my digital painting of a tiger in a kelp forest (honestly kelp forests are the best) was accepted. Currently there's some editorial weirdness going on, but unless everything goes to pot for some reason, I should be a published artist come winter of 2015. For those who haven't seen it and are curious, it's in spoiler tags below.

Spoiler:

So, yeah, super exciting news. Ordinarily I might not make a whole blog post about it (I'm not used to this system; my idea of "blogging" is spewing nonsense at Tumblr) but there's more. See, there's this group called Iron Circus Comics who've opened submissions for their upcoming project New World. Here's the blurb:

New World is a black-and-white sci-fi/fantasy comic anthology set to debut in the spring of 2015. Iron Circus Comics is currently seeking 8–10 submissions with the theme of exploration, colonization, conquest, assimilation, "going native," appropriation, imperialism, strained relations... essentially, what happens when mutually un-contacted cultures, continents, and species collide. We want your strangest stories about situations where characters are encountering—and having to deal with—the alien.
PRETTY FUN STUFF. The deadline for submitting portfolios + plot summaries is coming up; it's November 20th. Because of the relatively short notice and the fact that my portfolio is outdated and as lively as a corpse, I may not be able to enter, but this whole thing has gears grinding away in my head. I've already got a couple of comic projects going on - one little baby comic and one MONSTER NUZLOCKE PROJECT - but no real portfolio to speak of, and I need to fix that last part.

So here's to New World. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with it, and I'm grateful because it's come around and made me realize this one thing:

I've got work to do.

Velo OUT. :>

Submit "New World - AKA Velo Blabs About Art For A Time" to Digg Submit "New World - AKA Velo Blabs About Art For A Time" to del.icio.us Submit "New World - AKA Velo Blabs About Art For A Time" to StumbleUpon Submit "New World - AKA Velo Blabs About Art For A Time" to Google

Comments

That's so cool! Congratulations! That picture is amazing by the way.
    Woah I read this and then didn't even comment like a nub.

CONGRATULATIONS, VELO! 8D That's so awesome! I LOVED that picture so much (and still do) and it certainly deserves to be in there. x) Do you, by chance, do step by step processes of your work at all? It'd be super cool to see how you do your pictures. ^v^

New World sounds interesting too! O: Hope you get time to submit some stuff! ^v^ GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND. <3 And keep us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire
    Woah I read this and then didn't even comment like a nub.

CONGRATULATIONS, VELO! 8D That's so awesome! I LOVED that picture so much (and still do) and it certainly deserves to be in there. x) Do you, by chance, do step by step processes of your work at all? It'd be super cool to see how you do your pictures. ^v^

New World sounds interesting too! O: Hope you get time to submit some stuff! ^v^ GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND. <3 And keep us posted!
    I'm afraid I don't do step-by-steps, although maybe I should try that the next time I do my illustrations! I remember some of my process from this particular picture though - I did the tiger's lineart and colors on a separate layer from the background - which was its own layer - and then added the light effects over it. I used PaintToolSAI (which is my default program) for the whole thing, and I used a lot of overlay layers for the light.
    That's awesome that your art is going to be published! Congratulations! :D