View RSS Feed

Dragon Master Mike

My first day of college! Sorta...

Rate this Entry
I just started my first day of College! Full time at least. I actually started part time while I was still in High School, so I knew what to expect. But oh my god, today was painful.

My first class was an adventure. Good thing I came early, because the parking lot was so full, it took me ten minutes just to find parking. Then I got lost trying to find the room. And when I finally got there all the tables and chairs were moved to the side of the room. We were basically just sitting off to the side facing the center of the room. When the professor came he was just like, "Is this a history class or an alcoholic group?"

We ended up needing to rearrange the room, which took about 5-10 minutes of the class. I'm thankful he didn't give us any homework for our first day. I think that that class is going to be an easy class.

The math class is... Oh god. I was literally dying by the end, and it's only an hour and 45 minutes long. At least I don't think I have too much homework from it, and I can do some of that homework tomorrow since the classes I have tomorrow I don't have again until next week, so I can do most of those assignments over the weekend.

Oh, and I was joking in the skype chat that textbooks are basically $100 for a stack of papers with writing. I realized that my math textbook is LITERALLY a stack of papers with writing. Like, it's not bound or anything, it just has holes punched in it so you can put it in a binder.

So yeah. I already hate this. Please send help.

Submit "My first day of college! Sorta..." to Digg Submit "My first day of college! Sorta..." to del.icio.us Submit "My first day of college! Sorta..." to StumbleUpon Submit "My first day of college! Sorta..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You can look them up online and buy cheaper versions :) Text books cost a lot and some classes almost never use them.

Full time is exciting, your mindset is going to be changing a lot in the next five years. Try to enjoy it!
    My Public Speaking is exactly like that and I had to buy it through the school because there's a specific version our school has.
    It'll feel overwhelming at first. My first days of college were chaotic, and yes, this was right around 9/11, which only added to the stress.

See if you can find the textbooks online. They're out there and sometimes they're for free, which, no joke, will save you THOUSANDS. But if you need physical copies of the book (if for some reason you can't print them), try abebooks.com. They're usually much cheaper there. WAY cheaper than going to the bookstore, which goes out of their way to royally rip you off.

Also, check reviews on professors at ratemyprofessors.com. That site SAVED MY BUTT in many cases and I dodged professors that were awful and took ones that were fair graders and actually knew how to teach well.

Give it time to get adjusted though. I think everyone gets nervous and lost for their first few days of college, but then things will click into place.
    The text books sound like they might be written by the lecturer/professor if they're just a stack of papers, so you might not be able to find copies online. I know that was the case for a few of my subjects!

It can be pretty daunting but give it some time. That's cool that you started already in high school. Is that a common thing to do over there? What kind of field are you in? :)
    and it's only an hour and 45 minutes long
    Hahahahha "only." DUDE. FIVE MINUTES OF MATHS AND I'M ALREADY DYING. So I feel your pain. </3

And woooow, that textbook price for a stack of unbound papers. xD But as Sarah said, hopefully they're quite valuable if they're written by professors.

GOOD LUCK, MIKE!!!!!! You can do it! >w< Tell all your new friends to come here so we can meet them and see if they're good enough for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    That's cool that you started already in high school. Is that a common thing to do over there? What kind of field are you in? :)
    It's not really a common thing. I mean, I've heard of a few people that did it, but I don't know anyone aside from a handful of people at my school that have done it. As far as what field I'm going into, I'm not 100% decided yet, but I know for sure it is going to be something in science. Right now I'm thinking biology. More specifically, microbiology.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire
    Hahahahha "only." DUDE. FIVE MINUTES OF MATHS AND I'M ALREADY DYING. So I feel your pain. </3
    Hey, when I was going part time, the second semester at least it was two three hour classes with only a 15 minute break in between. I mean, they weren't math classes, but still. Oh, and to top it off the first class was so early I had to get up at 5:30 in the morning.