Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Man, I can't wait to get this started! With the character voting closing tomorrow, I'll be able to get working on that first page! Couldn't have picked a better weekend! Just turned in a big project, next one isn't due until the Wed. after next- so this'll be my easiest weekend for a while. =D

Just some things to discuss:

Page sizes: I'd like to set a dedicated page size for the comics to prevent us from having one page be, oh, say 800x1200 and then ext being 200x300 or something. Would everyone be okay if we set a required size for this? I'm a bit OCD with consistency, but if everyone is okay doing whatever sizes, I'll manage. xD If we agree on a set size, I'll be using my normal template for PRS for the first page unless people request a different size before I get started. Note: This size is only for final upload/sharing/whatever. I tend to work on a much larger image and scale down for things- that's fine! (Just remember: Scaling up is a bad thing to do in non-vector art!)

Uploads: Do we want to post the pages exclusively here on PXR, or would people be for the idea of posting the comic on SJ or something for more visibility? The upside to doing it on SJ would be to get some exposure for PXR and whatnot. I would be happy to manage the SJ site and whatnot if we do something like that.

Credits: I don't typically sign my comic pages, but due to nature of this collaborative project, feel free to sign your own pages so everyone knows who did what! Just make sure the signatures don't effect the readability of the pages.

@Nekomata @MajorLeeMan @Neo Emolga @Suicune's Fire @Lunar Latias @Noblejanobii @Scytherwolf @NeonUmbreon @Zirilon @azura evley @Liokora @Rival Max @October
    Last edited by Nekomata; 02-04-2017 at 01:23 AM.

2. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I think the 800x1200 setup is perfect. No problems there. I may be new to comic page layouts, but I've checked out the size in Photoshop and I think it's something I can work with without a problem. I'm also cool with these being posted to SJ.

And sure, I'll sign my pages, although I don't usually put signatures or watermarks on my stuff. I'll be honest, I don't even mind if people use my art for whatever, just as long as they don't say "oh yeah, I made that" when really they didn't.

But yeah, everything looks really great and I'm looking forward to seeing this party in action. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I think the 800x1200 setup is perfect. No problems there. I may be new to comic page layouts, but I've checked out the size in Photoshop and I think it's something I can work with without a problem. I'm also cool with these being posted to SJ.

And sure, I'll sign my pages, although I don't usually put signatures or watermarks on my stuff. I'll be honest, I don't even mind if people use my art for whatever, just as long as they don't say "oh yeah, I made that" when really they didn't.

But yeah, everything looks really great and I'm looking forward to seeing this party in action. :3
    If anyone wants to use my page template, I'm more than happy to post up a PSD that includes the high-res size + my base layer setup. It's just how I organize my comic page PSD files. It includes layers for sketch, lines, several layers of flats + various shading layers already marked out and put in the styles I use.

I usually hide my signature in larger pieces, but not for comics. I do mind if people use my work without asking- but if they ask first, it's alright. I just like to track where my stuff is posted.

And we're starting tomorrow if my shoulder stops aching before then! The allnighters I pulled this week took a toll on me. Worse than usual this time. Hopefully another night of rest will do the trick!

I like the idea of a uniform page size. Perhaps we should also consider a uniform page color (to fill the negative space) and maybe a uniform text font for the page title and page number and stuff. Of course, the text font and other elements in the actual comic will still be left up to the individual artist.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLeeMan View Post
    I like the idea of a uniform page size. Perhaps we should also consider a uniform page color (to fill the negative space) and maybe a uniform text font for the page title and page number and stuff. Of course, the text font and other elements in the actual comic will still be left up to the individual artist.
    I don't think page titles or numbers are necessary. The negative space can vary from scene to scene, I think it'd be fair for the person next in line to adopt the previous color unless a change happens. Most of the time though, it'll probably be white.

Edit: Also, if anyone likes, I will be willing to offer constructive critiques on contest entries or pages. Just say so somewhere if you're open for that! I do want to help others improve on their work while still having fun! I can critique on layout and comic-specific aspects along with art or separate if people would like!

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I definitely think we should all stick to one page size. It will flow better that way. I like the idea of signing pages too.

Yes to a set page size. I would be okay with having a set font--maybe a "comic" styled font? There are a few good ones to download, so unless people have a problem with downloading fonts, that could be an option. Or a default font that works for everyone. I think it would look a lot better that way. Also maybe...have a set uppercase/lowercase scenario? I know that most published comics (from what I've seen) write in all caps (which is also the font style) so it might be best if we decide to use a font that has no difference between its uppercase and lowercase letters. :] Anyone else think that's a good idea?

I DO think we should upload it on SJ. :D I reckon we should make a PXR comic account. I know that the only thing on there will be a community comic, but I suppose it opens up the possibility for future community comics or even PXR-related comics (for instance, a comic based off PXR members). Neko, maybe you could run it if you'd like to. :]

9. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yes to a set page size. I would be okay with having a set font--maybe a "comic" styled font? There are a few good ones to download, so unless people have a problem with downloading fonts, that could be an option. Or a default font that works for everyone. I think it would look a lot better that way. Also maybe...have a set uppercase/lowercase scenario? I know that most published comics (from what I've seen) write in all caps (which is also the font style) so it might be best if we decide to use a font that has no difference between its uppercase and lowercase letters. :] Anyone else think that's a good idea?

I DO think we should upload it on SJ. :D I reckon we should make a PXR comic account. I know that the only thing on there will be a community comic, but I suppose it opens up the possibility for future community comics or even PXR-related comics (for instance, a comic based off PXR members). Neko, maybe you could run it if you'd like to. :]
    I'll look into some free fonts that we can use. I've been meaning to for PRS, but I'm just lazy. xD I'll get that fixed. I would love to get as much consistency as I can with the pages with these type of things. I've got a few fonts in mind- I'll test tomorrow when I'm working on the first page.

As for SJ, I'm more than happy to manage it, but I'd prefer to do it from my main SJ account since I don't want to deal with logging in and out to update stuff. There's an option on SJ where we can add authors / co-authors to the comic- anyone with an SJ account should be able to do that.... Well, I guess that would save me from logging in/out a lout. I'll mess with that. xD I'm probably most familiar with smackjeeves here, so it'll be easy. If there's no objections to the SJ thing, I'll set it up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    I'll look into some free fonts that we can use. I've been meaning to for PRS, but I'm just lazy. xD I'll get that fixed. I would love to get as much consistency as I can with the pages with these type of things. I've got a few fonts in mind- I'll test tomorrow when I'm working on the first page.

As for SJ, I'm more than happy to manage it, but I'd prefer to do it from my main SJ account since I don't want to deal with logging in and out to update stuff. There's an option on SJ where we can add authors / co-authors to the comic- anyone with an SJ account should be able to do that.... Well, I guess that would save me from logging in/out a lout. I'll mess with that. xD I'm probably most familiar with smackjeeves here, so it'll be easy. If there's no objections to the SJ thing, I'll set it up tomorrow.
    Okay, so this is what I searched for on dafont:

100% free, includes accents (like é), and is in the "Comic" section.
    Other requirements: punctuation. (You'd be surprised how many fonts don't have simple things like question marks...)

>> THIS << is my favourite one. >This< one also seems good, though I prefer the first one. The first one even has examples in a comic-like setting. We might have to keep ALL TEXT IN CAPS but that shouldn't be an issue. :D

Hm, I get you, I just think it might be better to do it from a group sort of account in case anyone else needs to access it. Sort of like how we have a PXR YouTube account. I'd be more comfortable with that, if that makes sense, haha. Then we can still add the co-illustrators. Then those who have SJ accounts can have their names on the comic. I hope that's okay with you. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Okay, so this is what I searched for on dafont:

100% free, includes accents (like é), and is in the "Comic" section.
    Other requirements: punctuation. (You'd be surprised how many fonts don't have simple things like question marks...)

>> THIS << is my favourite one. >This< one also seems good, though I prefer the first one. The first one even has examples in a comic-like setting. We might have to keep ALL TEXT IN CAPS but that shouldn't be an issue. :D

Hm, I get you, I just think it might be better to do it from a group sort of account in case anyone else needs to access it. Sort of like how we have a PXR YouTube account. I'd be more comfortable with that, if that makes sense, haha. Then we can still add the co-illustrators. Then those who have SJ accounts can have their names on the comic. I hope that's okay with you. ^^;
    I personally like this font here: http://www.blambot.com/font_backissues.shtml

That Second one you posted looks great too, but I'm not a fan of those weird question marks. xD Little thing, but yeah. I'll mess with them both when I get to lettering on the first page.

And I set up an SJ page yesterday with a Pokemon Crossroads account. I've already put my main SJ account as a co-author with permissions to mess with whatever so I can easily manage it without signing in/out all of the time. I'd prefer access to the PXR account be limited to a 'as absolutely needed' basis since there will be many people on this project. I can easily add people as co-authors and given them powers to add pages and whatnot, so that should work easily enough. Managing the SJ site won't be difficult for me at all- SJ is fairly low maintenance and whatnot.

---

And the Winners of the Character Creation Contest are: Edgar the Quagsire and Natalya the Zorua!

I will get started on the first page today! I think Major is next in line to make a page, so be prepared!
    @Nekomata @MajorLeeMan @Neo Emolga @Suicune's Fire @Lunar Latias @Noblejanobii @Scytherwolf @NeonUmbreon @Zirilon @azura evley @Liokora @Rival Max @October