It was finally time! Morie knew his little brother had been awaiting this day a long time, and he wanted to make it special. After all, you only received your starter pokemon once. It was tradition in the Tokuoka family to start with a Sandshrew. Morie’s father claimed it was something their three times grandfather had started. Every child since had started with a Sandshrew. Morie was no exception. His partner, now a Sandslash, was named Aegis, and had served him well in his journeys thus far. But now, Morie traveled to an unfamiliar land, the region of Alola.

The boat’s horn blew loudly as they neared the port of Maile City. Morie ran a hand through his black hair before looking to his right. He put a hand on his younger brother’s head and smiled. His younger brother, Kenko, returned a boyish grin, before setting his sparkling brown eyes back on the approaching city. They had been on the sea for many days now, and both boys were glad to see the city ahead, but they couldn’t stay long. They had to reach Tapu Village before nightfall. Normally that would be pretty difficult for non-natives, but thankfully they had a friend joining them for the journey.

“So you said you’ve been to Alola before, right, Lillie?” Morie asked, looking at the blonde girl to his left. Lillie smiled, a distant look in her green eyes giving Morie the impression that she was recalling some fond memories.

“Yes. I was born here, actually. I had quite the interesting journey while I was here. But those are stories for another time. You said you wanted to find a Sandshrew right?” Kenko jumped up and down a little in excitement.

“Yeah! I want to have an Alolan Sandshrew!” Kenko cheered, “The first Alolan Sandshrew in the family!” Morie chuckled at his younger brother’s enthusiasm. Still, he was quite excited himself. Morie had never traveled outside of the Kanto region before, but he had gotten the idea of traveling to Alola to start his brother’s journey after meeting Lillie. After finding out that Sandshrews not only looked different but also battled differently in Alola, Morie knew it was the perfect starter for his brother.

The boat slowed as they reached Malie City’s port. Kenko was off like a shot, dashing off the boat and dancing around once he reached the ground. Lillie and Morie followed soon behind, not able to keep up with the ball of energy. The city was sprawling but also seemed to have an ancient touch too it. It reminded Morie of the pictures he had seen of Ecruteak City in Johto. It wasn’t really like anything he had seen in Kanto, and Morie appreciated the breath of fresh air. Lillie walked through the city with confidence, as if she knew exactly where she was going. She paused in front of a shop and a large smile spread across her face. She waved the two brothers over and pointed to the shop.

“I know we are in a rush, but would it be okay if I treated you to an Alolan delicacy?” Morie looked down at his brother to see Kenko’s eyes sparkling with eagerness. Morie gave Lillie a thumbs up and nodded.

“I don’t see why not. We’re here to experience Alola aren’t we?” The three walked into the shop together and Morie couldn’t stop himself from taking a deep breath as a sweet scent hit his nose. He felt his mouth start to water at the delicious smell. “What is that?” he asked.

“It’s a Malasada. They’re very popular in Alola. I had a friend here many years ago that would always stop at these shops first thing. They also can be eaten by pokemon so if you want you can send out your team as well, Morie.” Morie obliged as Lillie went up to order and soon everyone was enjoying some sweet malasadas. Morie hummed at the deliciousness, he would definitely have to get more of these during his time in Alola. Stomachs full of malasadas, the three exited the store and began to heads towards the desert nearby.

Kenko’s excitement only seemed to grow as they traveled. There were many trainers willing to battle and Morie found it interesting all the strange pokemon he was encountering. By the time they reached the desert, Morie felt like he was more passionate about his journey than ever! The three rented some Mudsdales and rode across the rougher terrain to enter Tapu Village by sunset. Morie had to admit he was impressed with the extreme climate changes. One part of the area was desert but right next to it was an icy cold mountain and just beyond that a large sprawling meadow of red flowers. Alola truly was an interesting place. But Morie would have more time to enjoy it later, right now he had a job to do!

“You ready, Kenko? We’re going to catch a sandshrew!” A soft drizzle began to drop over the town as the trio ventured to the other side of the town where several patches of grass lay. Lillie stood off to the side as the brothers began to search through the tall grass.

“Pru?” Morie heard the familiar call of a sandshrew and looked to his left to spot a white sandshrew. No, rather, it was covered in ice! This must be an Alolan Sandshrew! Morie tapped his brother’s shoulder. Kenko looked over and pumped his fists in excitement. Morie handed his brother an ultra ball then backed up and watched as Kenko threw the ultra ball right at the alolan sandshrew. It hit and sucked in the pokemon, then dropped to the ground. One rock, two rock, three rocks, click!

“Yahoo!” Kenko jumped into the air then ran over to the ultra ball. He picked it up then scurried over to Morie and Lillie. “I caught one! I got it! I have an Alolan Sandshrew!”

“Good job, Kenko!” Lilie congratulated, “What are you going to name it?” Kenko paused, staring intently at the ultra ball before a smile spread across his face.

“My partner’s name is Igloo.”