Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Chris Waters ("NightFox" / Fennekin) & Natalie Pence (MoneyBunny / Buneary)
    Exploration Team Lucky Strike
    Discovery Town Center
    Affected RPers: N/A

In the aftermath of the terrible news, Chris was convinced the best choice for everyone was to get out of Discovery Town Square. Trying to figure out how much had completely gone wrong and make up a plan just had to wait.

"IS THIS SOME KIND OF $*#&%ING JOKE!?" Natalie screamed.

But her scream of anger and frustration was simply one among thousands of horrified players that had to voice their shock and anguish over the trap they had stumbled into. The deathly trap. It left Carla in so much dismay and depression that she was coughing, wailing, and was on the verge of vomiting over it.

As if by instinct, Chris used his Fennekin fox paws and even his mouth to just yank Carla, Naomi, and Natalie away from the scene of chaos and near-rioting. He wouldn't have been surprised if in fact a player riot had erupted because of this, but he tried not to think about it. He wasn't even thinking about his plans to try and find a way to deal with this situation. He just wanted everyone to be safe. For now, he dragged all three of them into a vacant alleyway that was away from all the panicked players.

"We're going to die!" Carla wailed in agonized horror, cursing her Flabébé form. "I knew it! I knew-"

"WOULD YOU KNOCK IT OFF!?" Chris shouted at her angrily. "Let's play a game! It's called stop panicking, get your head on straight, take a deep breath, count to ten, and let's just relax and talk this out peacefully and quietly. CAN WE DO THAT BECAUSE HOLY CRAP, I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME SO BADLY RIGHT NOW? SERIOUSLY, CAN-"

"Okay, god almighty, I hear you," Natalie spat as she interrupted him. "You know, I think it's understandable she and everyone else is upset as hell about this. I can tell it's pissing you off, also, that's for sure. I sure as $&#% didn't think Pokémon Mystery Dungeon would suddenly decide to have a crossover with SILENT HILL.""

"God dammit, he's right though," Naomi looked down worriedly, realizing she was going to be stuck as a Petilil far longer than she could imagine.

They stopped and just looked around them. Discovery Town truly did look more like Silent Hill's Otherworld rather than the cheerful, colorful world it had once been. The walls were ravaged with scratches and blood and anything that had been made of wood was now bloodied and splintered while the metal had become twisted and rusted. Meanwhile, the skies were just a toxic, filthy soup of angry-colored reds, browns, grays and blacks.

"I can't do this," Carla muttered. "I can't do this."

"Yes, you can, now come on," Chris urged her. "The more you freak out, the more you make whoever is behind this ecstatic."

"Man, #%@# the asshat who set this up," Natalie spat. "Pricks like that deserve to contract and suffer through months of stage 4 terminal cancer before just dying in a fire anyway. Anyway, Chris is right, let's just focus on beating this stupid game. And the best way to do that is just grind like hell and play through this very conservatively."

Chris breathed a sigh of relief. It wasn't a very big step in trying to solve the problem they were currently in, but it was at least the first and that was important.

"Thank you, that's how we get through this hell," Chris replied. "Although... look at this place. Do we even still have a Exploration Guild or did that get taken over by whatever this Silent Hill-inspired hellhole is?"

"Hell if I know, I barely even give half a damn," Natalie muttered.

"You know, you sure talk nasty for a Buneary," Naomi looked at her strangely. "I mean, it's just... well, different."

But Natalie just shrugged and looked away. Meanwhile, for Chris, it was tricky to try and figure out exactly what would be the best way of going about this, but for the moment, he couldn't really think of a plan. If someone was willing to cause this much pain and death over a game, he doubted just "beating the game" was going to put an end to the terror. He felt the terrorist that had planned this most likely had some other kind of motive, but until Chris figured that out, it was only speculation. It just seemed unlikely that whoever was behind this whole trap would be perfectly okay with letting everyone go home after beating the game... if it was even possible. For all they knew, the final boss could be a hideously overpowered Acreus raid-style monster that wasn't even beatable.

"We need to learn more about whoever is behind this," Chris told the rest of the group. "They've got to have some reason for willing to go through this much trouble and kill this many players. Ransom from our parents, trying to cover up a specific assassination on a VIP who is logged into this right now, or they're getting some other kind of leverage from the government out of us being hostages."

"Yeah, that sounds pretty likely," Natalie nodded. "This isn't some kind of rite of passage crap where they're just trying to test our mettle. Half of these people will be dead in a week. They're probably using this to rush whatever their demands are from someone who isn't logged into this hellhole right now. And the more players keep dying, the more it will force someone on the outside to have to comply and negotiate."

Reluctantly, Naomi nodded in agreement. She really didn't like the sound of it, but she knew she was with players who were smart, thought things out, and didn't run and rush into something dangerous. They would make sure they were prepared and would have each other's back. And even Carla understood this as well.

"Whoever is doing this will get what's coming to them," Carla told the others in a dark voice. "Whoever this... coward, child-killer is. When the cops... or the military find them, they'll be dead. So dead. I'm just... hurt I'm not going to be there to watch it. I want to see him get gunned down like the dog he is and just watch his horrified face as the blood leaves his body and the life slips out of his eyes."

"Okay, moving on," Naomi told her. "I swear, you get freaky when you get angry."

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    Interrobang‽/Asterism⁂
    Adventure Team Big Bang
    Keep 1st Floor, Discovery Town.
    Affected RP'ers: N/A? (if you count the guild stepping in here, then everyone I guess, but I'm not sure.)

A lot happened at once. Before they could open the letter, they were randomly teleported to the town square by Pokemon God, who then proved to actually be the exact opposite of Pokemon God by announcing that no-one could log off and no-one could leave and morphing the town into a post-apocalyptic setting. Then he left.

Everyone took this as the sign that this was the time to start panicking, or almost everyone. Even the NPCs were panicking, almost just as hard-Interrobang saw some serious fear as they struggled to comprehend why the hell Pokemon God suddenly wanted everyone dead, or what he actually just said which seemed to defy every ounce of internal logic they had, as well as how everything suddenly took a dive into the ruinous apocalypse. And it was a dive, because it wasn't staying that way; the sky was clearing back to blue slow and steady, and for the most part damages were actually pretty superficial. The Keep wasn't even touched, and the blood pools were reverting back to plain water. Anyone paying attention would realize that the whole change was just for show, intimidation, proof of the sincerity of the power of the developer, or 'developer,' as Interrobang thought of him (and doubtless more). But it was the threat of death and never being able to go home again-or worse, the implicit threat that everyone would die regardless, due to being vegetative state they were in-that had everyone utterly terrified. There was no way to weasel around that much. That Arceus proved that if they wanted them dead, they were pretty much dead, without killing a soul.

To be frank, Interrobang's total level of being intimidated by the scenery change was near to zero. The lazy moron didn't even change the Keep at all, it was just a show, and really, the best way to win then was to make sure only the most experienced forged ahead and then everyone could copy their example-even the plot he was copying had workarounds. He was panicking, of course, but it was internal. Not voiced, but nevertheless expressed. Expressed mostly by slapping his sister for shouting along with the crowd, and then making expressive demands to leave. He couldn't handle shouting. He couldn't handle serious loud noises. Loud noises, he hated loud noises, it was too loud, too loud! Asterism complied, knowing his brother's peeves, some sisterly concern overwhelming her fear-and barely. Tears were in her eyes-actual tears! It was too much. Asterism moved Interrobang to the Keep, the Guild, mostly for quiet, mostly to comprehend what was going on.

They barely crossed the threshold of the Keep before the Guild Pokemon came down upon them, demanding answers. In fact, the Guild Pokemon-the Guildmasters. Pyroli looked a cross between enraged and concerned. "What happened out there, Big Bang?"

"Something in town," Asterism said, trying to keep a vestige of calm with tears in her eyes. "Something teleported us there, the town got kind of messed up, and-"

"Everyone's being threatened with death by something pretending to be Arceus, or actually Arceus," Interrobang said. "It looked like Arceus, at least."

"... Is it odd that I was hoping you'd say I was actually having hallucinations then? The implications of that statement are infinitely worse. Does this have to do with all the questions about logging out everyone has been getting? I have no clue what you're going on about-"

"Pyroli," Raiju interrupted. "Let's not dig into this. We'll ask in time. We need them to calm down everyone, first, before this breaks out into a riot."

The other two nodded, and Pyroli turned to Cadence. "Cadence, today has been rough, but I'll need you to keep everyone calm and quell any arguments. This is a special circumstance. We need everyone calm and to get all the facts sorted out. Legends vowing death upon our guild members is... I... Augh, I've had nightmares about that kind of thing before but never in my life-"

"Pyroli," Raiju said. "Focus."

"Right," Pyroli said, rushing outside.

"OK, Big Bang... Today has been one of the worst in my life. I can barely count how many teams we just registered in this place and now-if you're to be believed, and honestly you're very believable, we are now being targeted by random divine wrath. This is a lot to swallow... Did he say anything else?"

"It's very metaphysical but there's one way to get out, if it's not just some dumb trap. I don't know where it is, other than I know that no-one can reach it unless they do something significantly long and complicated to get at it, probably consisting of things that wouldn't look like the right steps if I would have to describe it to you," Interrobang said. "It would probably give someone an existential crisis. I just want to be away from the noise."

"... I'll take your word for it, hun," Cadence said, looking incredulous but sympathetic. "I'll call up Karmen, we'll probably need something delicious to at least ease the pain... In the meanwhile, uh, can you try to calm everyone down out there?"

"Interrobang does really badly with loud noises," Asterism said. "He'll probably freak out if he's made to stay there."

"Gotcha, hun. I'll see about getting the other guild members in to calm everyone down, fast. Once we've gotten some calm restored and fix everything up, we can sort out the going-ons and the plan of action for everyone. And that will include you. This is a threat to the whole town..."

The Guild was suddenly hustle and bustle as quite a few teams-NPC teams-poured out in mass. The response-Interrobang nor Asterism quite believed how they were acting. Their disbelief, their empathy, their movement to calm a riot... They weren't sure if it was perfectly real, but it felt real.

Interrobang tapped his foot against the ground. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Half second of delay. Proof that it was not real. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. It wasn't real, none of it, not a single bit.

Not a single bit was real except the death.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Can you stop tapping?" Asterism said, trying to keep her mild irritance from spiraling into screaming.

"It keeps me calm," Interrobang said. "... We were going to look at the job, weren't we?" Interrobang added, as an afterthought.

"Why are we even considering a job at a time like this?" Asterism asked, now a bit exasperated.

"We don't have to accept, just look-oh. That is... Oooohohoh." Interrobang said, suddenly almost forgetting the risk of death.

"...You've got to be kidding me," Asterism said, who wasn't suddenly forgetting.

"...Oh. OK, job is straightforwards. Retrieval of a missing item down in B35 of a dungeon called the 'Relic Abyss.' Our client remains anonymous. Our mission reward is also anonymous... B35... IF that's the bottom floor that's pretty far down, and if it isn't we are really going to have our work cut out for us, if we go for it," Interrobang said. "This job is... A long ways off. We also don't know where this is..."

"Interrobang, there's more important things to be thinking about-"

"Yes, Asterism, there are. Not like we could go into this dungeon anyways... But... Hrm. We don't have anything else to do then, and from what we heard, the Guild isn't going to take this lying down... They'll probably just put things on high alert and let us do jobs as normal... Which means, in context, that we could just, you know. Further this along," Interrobang said.

"We don't live in a vaccum. Pokemon is a big thing. Nintendo isn't going to let this slide. They're going to get enough tech people to bust us out of here," Asterism said.

"Jor-Asterism, let's put it this way-"

"No, none of your weird shenanigans! It's stupid to risk your life for a trinket! We're just going to stay put and-"

"Jorline-"

"-not so much as even think about listening to that psycho's demands-"

"Jorline! If he isn't pleased, do you think he may want to 'encourage' people?" Interrobang said, grumpy.

Asterism fluttered her wings nervously, but then, she sighed. "... That's horrible... We shouldn't be in this situation at all... Seriously, not worth the-"

"Now where's your sense of adventure?" Interrobang said. That caught attention, and while Interrobang wasn't a social animal or such, he knew it would get stares if she was seriously reconsidering all of this.

Certainly, such fearless explorers and adventurers wouldn't fear something like death, would they? For the NPCs... It was a part of life. They didn't get respawns. Asterism would have protested but just looked around at the keep, its last, slowest members trudging forwards-and most likely the 'newest' NPCs by that, who gave her an odd look.

Asterism sighed. "... That is a low blow," she said.

"Look, not saying we can't play safe and all. That's smart. What's dumb is thinking that if we don't at least make an effort to get ourselves out of this cage-play along-then he may start getting really angry at us, so we might as well at least put our necks out a little bit. For everyone else. Plus, think of it this way; it would be fun to play the hero, and if we could figure a way to get everyone out..."

"...Interrobang, you have your head in the clouds there and I know it. But I guess we don't really have a choice in the matter... Uuugh. Fine. Fine! I'll go along. But first, we're going to see what the Guild does about this.

"I suppose. They won't let us saunter off at a time like this," Interrobang said.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

"You're just going to keep doing that forever aren't you." Asterism said, stifling dissapointment, irritation, fear, and a great deal of things.

Interrobang rolled his eyes in response.

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!