Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Canalave Library [Pokémon Folklore Stories!]

Greetings, kind sir or madame. We duly wish you a humble welcome to...

The Canalave Library
    Where the aged tales of pokémon may seek passage through the ages.

Centuries and centuries ago, when pokémon did not possess certain aspects of their modern-day refined characters, a library's door was unsealed for the first time. In the library's prime days, it was the most plentiful source of history and a suite of divine knowledge. However, disaster struck, and the library dreadfully fell to ruin.

You stand now before the mighty but incomplete incarnation of that library. The extent of its collection of ancient philosophies is merely the rudimentary knowledge that we, as a contemporary people, are aware exists about the mysteries of pokemon; these fragments of knowledge are all that remains after the catastrophe scattered the many tales that mankind had unearthed, leaving chasms of knowledge missing from our archives. This library aims to salvage that which became tragically adrift so that we may preclude legends of antiquity from again slipping into an infinite abyss.

We do implore all citizens who harbour details of such legends to emerge from the shadows and relinquish their nobly protective embrace on any knowledge they hold, so that it may take wing with the explicit intent to meet the library doors and eventually realise its place among welcoming shelves.

With the help of willing participants, our precious collection may expand in all its glory, with your name printed upon the book's spine as thanks for providing us with a piece of treasured history. Do not hesitate to share with us your erudition.

Enquiries:

(Just quietly, these folklore tales are usually written in a relatively simple form that is not full of complicated words or expressions, so it's kind of like a children's storybook. It's encouraged that they are written this way! :D)

Which type of content does the Canalave Library wish submissions to consist of?
    The Canalave Library accept submissions that detail a pokémon's history, such as how a species gained an aspect of its character. For example, you may encounter a dusty book which explains the reason why a pokémon's pelt is a particular colour in the format of a narrative.

Which approximate length would be considered appropriate for each entry?
    Folklore can be of differing lengths, but we would prefer that they were under 4,000 words. The minimum length is 500 words.

How should one submit folklore?
    You may respond to this thread as if it were any other thread; all discussion and submissions may be posted regularly, so do not hesitate to submit a piece of lore here. All discussion on the topic of any folklore tale is appropriate inside the walls of the library. There is no need to send private messages to any of the librarians to have your submission displayed. We will also not link outside of the library, so if you wish to have your submission displayed, post it to this library and nowhere else. The address can be found by clicking "Reply to Thread" down the bottom or at the top of the library entrances.

Am I permitted to casually converse in this library?
    As long as you do not shout, all conversation here is accepted, and is on the topic of submissions. The archive is in this first post alone, so do not think that it is unacceptable to communicate regularly when you submit your post, or when somebody else posts a legend you wish to commend them for unveiling.

Rules and Regulations
    #1 ~ Please treat your fellow library visitor with utmost respect.
    #2 ~ Please do not express unnecessary conversation that is considered jibberish or of few words. Incorporate a conscious effort when producing your language. Etiquette is preferred.
    #3 ~ It is allowed that you may critique others' submissions as if you would a regular narrative.
    #4 ~ You may submit an alternate form of folklore for a pokémon who has already had its tale accounted for. There are differing forms of legend, and the more adaptations we shelve, the more diversity we may have here in the library.
    #5 ~ Ensure these antiquities are of your own discovery. You may not submit tales which were not founded by your hand.

**Important**
    The librarians are entitled to reject a submission if it is not of proper standard. Submissions may be asked to be revised and before they are added into our archive. Otherwise, librarians shall ask permission of the submitter to edit and refine grammar and wording themselves. You agree to this upon submission.

As you may plainly view...our collection is...lacking. We ardently await submissions...

The Canalave Library Archive:

Legends of Kanto
    How Bulbasaur got its Bulb - recovered by Bulbasaur
    How Charmander got its Fire - recovered by Charmander009

Legends of Johto

Legends of Hoenn
    How Spinda got their Spots - recovered by Suicune's Fire
    How Salamence got their Wings - recovered by Suicune's Fire

Legends of Sinnoh

Legends of Unova

Legends of Kalos

Please do enjoy the exhibit! Thank you for visiting.

~SF.
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 10-07-2013 at 07:40 AM.

How Spinda got their Spots

One fine morning, Spinda the spinda was tottering back and forth, trying to keep her balance as she stumbled along a grassy path. She tottered left and right, and then straight for a second or two. She was used to it though, because it was normal for a spinda.

After a while, she gave a yawn and decided to take a break against a nice tree. It was fairly comfy and she felt calm and relieved to rest her sore, tired feet. They were sore and tired because of her exhausting journey to find something for her friend, Spunda. It was Spunda’s birthday and Spinda wanted to get her something pretty and worthwhile. Spanda and Spindie had already gotten her a present, a feast of berries and fruit that took them both a long time to gather. Spinda had been at the feast and ate some of the food, and after that she decided to go and look for a present because she hadn’t gotten one yet.

Up ahead were tall, brown mountains, and she could feel the air becoming warmer while she was travelling. All she had to do was pass the tall trees on both sides of the path and then she could climb the mountain, but she did not know what was on the other side.

“It sure is a nice day today,” Spinda said with a smile. She lay down and looked up at the sky as she watched the clouds blow past.

Suddenly she felt something tickle her nose. She reached up and swatted something from nearby, but it came straight back. Curious, she sat up and turned around, only to discover a red and orange flower with big petals and a long, bending stalk.

“Wow,” she said in amazement, plucking the stem from the ground. “This is perfect! I can give it to Spanda for her birthday present.”

Spinda decided to go home after that, and so she followed the path, saying hello to lots of other friendly pokémon on the way. After the long time of a whole hour, she finally arrived back at her home. She lived near some rocks that created perfect walls for houses, and the long palm leaves over the top made nice roofs.

She spotted Spanda, Spunda and Spindie throwing an oran berry between themselves and called out, “Spanda, I got you a present!”

Spanda, Spunda and Spindie ran wonkily over to Spinda, and they all looked very excited. “Oh, another present?” asked Spanda.

Spinda pulled the flower from behind her and held it out to her friend, and Spanda smiled. “Happy birthday, Spanda!”

“Thank you very much!” she cheered, but as she reached out to grab it, Spinda tottered the wrong way and fell over! She landed on the flower and quickly got up. But all the petals had fallen off, and the stem was crinkled.

“Oh no!” Spinda cried, and tried to put the petals back on. But it wouldn’t work. “I’m very sorry!” Spinda sat down and began feeling very foolish and sad for falling over.

“That’s okay,” Spanda said calmly. “It’s nice enough that you thought to get me a present.”

“I know! I can go get you another one,” suggested Spinda, and Spanda lightened up.

Just as Spinda began to feel a bit better, Spindie said, “Wait a moment!” He moved closer to the flower, picked it up in his paws, and began studying it. “This...is a Magma Daisy,” he exclaimed.

“A Magma Daisy?” gasped Spunda, surprised by Spindie’s answer. “They grow near lava, don’t they?” Spinda was ready to shake her head, because that’s not where she found hers. “Aren’t they also known as the Sacred Flowers?”

“Yes,” answered Spunda with a thoughtful face. He looked at Spinda. “Where did you get this?”

Spinda was suddenly scared because she thought she might have done the wrong thing! “I-I found it! It t-tickled my nose!”

“It’s not a good idea to go and pick another one,” Spindie said firmly. “It’s forbidden.”

“Oh,” Spunda began sadly, “but it’s so pretty...” She looked down, and Spinda guessed she was disappointed that her birthday present turned out to be something she couldn’t keep.

“We can find another present,” Spunda offered, but Spinda turned away.

“...I don’t care if I’m not allowed to!” she shouted, and everyone fell silent. “I want to pick another one for Spanda! Because it’s my present to her.”

“Spinda, no!” called Spunda. “You’ll be punished if you go near the place where the Magma Daisies grow!”

Spinda stopped, and Spanda said, “You don’t have to get me another one.”

“I want to!” snapped Spinda before she kept tottering down the path she was on earlier.

“It’s not fair...” Spinda sniffed, wiping her eyes with her paw. “Spunda and Spindie got Spanda a present, and I have to get her one too!” She stumbled on a rock and fell over, and she was just about ready to give up. “This is too hard... I can’t do it!” she yelled.

Suddenly she looked up, and the spinda realised something. She saw that tree. The nice looking tree she leaned against just before the Magma Daisy tickled her nose. She had made it! Spinda got to her feet and jumped for joy – but had to be careful not to lose her balance – and began tottering down the path once again, passing the tree she’d been to before.

She teetered and stumbled her way to the base of the mountain after walking unsteadily between trees blanketed with ash, and she gasped. “This mountain must actually be a volcano! One of the ones the Magma Daisies grow on, too.”

She began climbing, using rocks poking out as steps and as things to grab. She nearly slipped a few times, but quickly regained her balance and kept climbing. She stopped to rest half way up, and she couldn’t help but feel a little bit cold. “This makes no sense,” she said. “I thought volcanoes were hot.” She was warm at the same time, but she felt almost worried.

She began to feel the heat once she reached the top, and she was surprised when she saw that this volcano had rocks placed like steps leading down to a piece of ground inside the volcano, and spread in front of that was a large pool of lava. Magma Daisies were growing everywhere on the inside of the volcano, but none were in the right spot. However, on the other side of the lava was another rocky section, but there was a small ledge with three of the flowers she wanted to get. They were the only ones in reach!

Spinda felt tingles down her spine, but she was determined to find a Magma Daisy for Spanda. After all, Spanda would have done it for her...wouldn’t she?

Spinda hopped down the steps and finally reached the rocky ground, and stared out across the lava. There were stepping stones all around, and she was happy to find that they didn’t sink as she stepped on the first one. Any other pokémon would have been crazy to do such a thing, but Spinda knew that she had to do this. So she kept hopping, but at one point her foot slipped, just like when she was climbing, and she was nearly touching the lava! But she squirmed and hauled her legs back onto the rock. “Is this really worth it?” she wondered, rather frightened.

As she got to her unsteady feet and hopped to the next stepping stone, Spunda’s words repeated in Spinda’s head: “You’ll be punished if you go near the place where the Magma Daisies grow!”

And suddenly a whistling sound made her jump. She almost decided to head back and get Spanda a different birthday gift, but she had come so far, and she was only five stepping stones away from the ledge! She swallowed hard and made a wonky jump, and landed with a thump on the rock.

But then the lava jumped up and splashed her on the face, and she screamed, completely taken by surprise. It didn’t hurt that much, but it had hurt enough! She stood up and turned to the ledge again to make a final decision, but another bit of lava leaped out of the large pool and landed over her eye, and then more flew onto her ears. She roared in pain and turned back around, beginning to bound away until she was on the rock again. She backed up against the wall and touched all the places she had been struck. She yelped as she felt how painful it was, and she began to cry.

Suddenly a voice boomed, “Spinda!”

Spinda jumped out of her fur as she threw her head around, trying to find the pokémon who spoke. “W-what do you want?”

“Because of your disobedience, you and your kind will be punished with spots. Spots on your face and spots on your ears,” it said.

“But why?” Spinda called sadly, still crying.

“You were warned, but you did not listen. I, the almighty Volcano Pokémon, will give you these marks as punishment with my special lava, and as a reminder that no pokémon is to ever touch these sacred flowers.”

Spinda needed no further convincing. She scrambled up the rocks – nearly fell – and dashed down the mountain side.

She would never disobey anyone again.

~SF.

How Salamence Got Their Wings

One day, a small bagon, Bagon, was relaxing by the side of a river. His brother and sister were playing a game of tag, and his parents were sitting nearby.

The small bagon waddled up to his parents and observed them. They were both very large and blue all over. Their bellies and chests were covered in long white plates, and they had strong legs and a tail. They looked very mighty and powerful, but Bagon couldn’t help but think something was missing. Something important.

“Mother, how fast can you run?” asked Bagon.

“Not very fast, dear one,” she replied, lowering her head to her child’s height.

“Father, how high can you jump?” he asked his father.

“Not very high, son.”

Bagon thought for a moment, putting a paw to his chin. “But if you can’t jump high and can’t run fast, then how do you win battles?”

“We are powerful pokémon,” his mother answered, and his father nodded in agreement.

But Bagon knew something was missing. He wanted to fly.

Years later, when Bagon had become a salamence, he had changed his name to Salamence and changed his look. He no longer lived with his parents or his brother or sister, and instead he lived in the side of a mountain. He had made a path with his sharp claws and thick tail, so that he could easily get to his home when he wanted to sleep.

The next day was Salamence’s birthday, and he was excited to see what his parents were going to give him. Last year he got a hat made of straw and leaves, but that had dried out and he had to throw it away shortly after. He hoped to get a (very large) boat this year so he could sail across the seas and meet new friends across the lands, but he knew that would take a lot of effort. But, since he was small compared with normal salamence, he thought it would not be too hard.

It was evening by the time salamence had eaten his dinner, and he looked at the darkening sky. “The clouds are pretty tonight,” he said to himself. The sky was pink, orange and yellow from all the clouds and their wonderful colour, and they were indeed pretty.

While Salamence was admiring the view, he suddenly caught sight of a tiny light between two clouds. He thought it was strange. “What’s that?” He frowned, squinting his eyes to try to see what was causing it. But he couldn’t identify what it was; it was simply too far away.

When he thought he wouldn’t be able to make it out, it grew brighter. He started to become a little bit scared and backed up. The light kept getting bigger, and at that point, Salamence realised that it was getting closer.

When it got close enough, Salamence noticed that it was actually a giant rock which was blazing with fire. He gasped and hid behind a large boulder along the path to his house, and there was a huge shattering noise as the meteor crashed into the ground and broke a tree or two. Salamence peered over the rock and came out from behind it. He watched as some of the meteor broke off and he saw a yellow and white head that was poking out of a yellow ball. At this he was confused; why would there be a pokémon on a meteor?

Out of curiosity, Salamence walked closer until he saw green tags on each end of the pokémon’s head, which looked like the top half of a star. He didn’t know what this pokémon was, but soon enough he would find out as the pokémon groaned and its little eyes opened.

Showing his bravery, Salamence stood firmly and looked at this creature again, and its body uncurled from the ball it was before. Now it was a little white body with arms and stubby legs. “Hello, there,” Salamence said slowly, and the pokémon began floating, and it smiled.

“Hi!” she replied, moving through the air with a yellow glow surrounding her. “My name is Jirachi.”

“Jirachi...” mimicked Salamence, trying to remember if he had heard about this pokémon or not.

“I will grant you one wish,” Jirachi offered, “for being the first one to see me when I awoke from my thousand year-slumber.”

“R-really?” stuttered Salamence. He couldn’t believe this! “A wish?”

“Yes,” Jirachi said happily.

Salamence thought hard. What would he want? Speed? No... Did he want to be bigger? No... “Oh! I want to fly; I want to have wings!” he exclaimed, remembering that he was both slow and unable to jump very high.

“You want wings?” asked Jirachi with a grin.

“Yes, I want all of salamence-kind to have wings! Big blue ones, just like my body.”

“Okay!” Jirachi sung, spinning around in mid-air. “When you awake, you will have the wings that you have earned.”

“It can be a birthday present!” Salamence cheered excitedly, and ran back down the path and towards his home, calling, “Thank you!” over his shoulder.

The next day, Salamence woke up. He shook his head and gave his legs a big stretch.

Then he remembered.

“The wings I wished for!” he shouted, and his neck bent around so he could see his back.

But there was nothing.

“Where are my wings?” asked Salamence sadly. “Oh,” he then said, “I must be sitting on them!” So up he got, and with a giant smile, he looked down and saw...nothing. Salamence glanced around and began searching for them. He checked under three rocks, and he still didn’t find them! “Where could they be?” Salamence asked himself. He sat down and felt his smile turn into a frown. “Jirachi must have tricked me!” he yelled, and he began to get angry.

So, with a rumbling stomp, the salamence thudded up the path and reached the meteor. He bowled the massive rock over and tore at it until it was but a pile of rubble. There was no sign of Jirachi. Salamence roared and made his way across the rocky earth that had grass growing in random places. He was looking about everywhere for Jirachi as he began to cross a bridge made of rock that hung over a wide river far, far down below.

“Help!”

Salamence stopped and turned around, and that’s when he saw something dangling from the cliff that he was just on. “Jirachi?” he wondered.

“Salamence! Please help me!” Jirachi pleaded. She looked scared and kind of sleepy as she clung tightly to some rock poking out from the side of the cliff’s wall.

“Why can’t you float?” called Salamence.

“I’m too tired! I have no energy left,” explained Jirachi as she hung.

Salamence quickly hurried back across the bridge to where he’d come, and rushed to Jirachi. He bent over as he stood on the edge, and just when he was about to pull Jirachi up, there was a loud breaking noise. Salamence looked behind him and noticed a large crack that surrounded the part of the rock he was standing on. “Oh no!” he yelped, and quickly took Jirachi into his mouth and tossed her behind him onto stable ground. But then the slab of rock broke and crumbled down the cliff side with Salamence still on it. He watched the cliff opposite him sink lower and lower as he fell, and that was the last thing he saw before blackness swallowed him.

A while later, Salamence slowly opened up eyes. He rubbed his head because it was sore, and then looked around. He was a little bit puzzled. He looked down, and saw that he was on solid rock. Then Salamence jumped up, calling out, “I’m alright!” He glanced over the ground he was standing on and saw the river closer than when he was on the bridge, but still a long way down. Then he looked up and saw the top of the cliff not that far up. When he fell, he must have landed on a ledge that saved him! Although Salamence was very happy to be alive, he then asked himself something. “How will I get back home?”

While he was thinking of a way, he felt something become itchy, and he turned around to scratch it when he saw...

“Wings!”

It was true! Sprouting from his back were two red wings in the shape of umbrellas. “They aren’t blue, but I still love them!” he called. Then he thought of something: he could use his wings to fly back home!

So he walked to the edge of the ledge. He felt fear ripple through him, but, standing tall and brave, he jumped! His wings spread widely out and began to keep him up. He flapped them, and he began to rise! “Wow!” he exclaimed, and flapped them more, and soon he was flying up, down and all around! “This is wonderful!” He flew up to the land he was on before he fell, and he saw Jirachi. He landed with a thump and looked at her with a big smile. “Thank you, Jirachi.”

“Thank you,” Jirachi said back. “I don’t know what would have happened to me if you hadn’t rescued me.”

“You’re welcome,” Salamence answered. He was about to leave, but he stopped himself. “Jirachi, do you want to celebrate my birthday with me and my family?” he asked.

“Oh, I would be delighted!” Jirachi replied, happy as can be. “But first...I need a nap,” she giggled, and Salamence laughed too.

Later that day, Salamence, his brother, his sister, his parents and Jirachi all had a party! They had all learned how they grew wings like Salamence had, and were all very amazed. And guess what? Salamence got a boat as his present! But he no longer needed it.

Because now he had wings.

~SF.

Senior Moderator

Are adventure tales involving Pokemon allowed, or is this strictly for pour quoi tales?

Nah, sorry, it's more about how pokemon got certain featured/gained aspects of who they are, like dreamtime stories. x) It's not nursery rhyme sort of stories.

It'd be awesome if you wrote one like the entries we have here for a pokemon you like though! :]

~SF.

Senior Moderator

I have entries for Snubbull, Taillow, Ho'oh, and Lugia...

How Charmander Got Its Fire

Long ago, before humans made an appearance in the lives of Pokémon, there existed the first Charmander. Charmander had no fire then, living life as a simple orange lizard within holes in the ground. Yet he enjoyed his peaceful life for a time—nibbling at roots and insects—until he began to feel empty, as if something was missing in his life.

"I got everything a Charmander could want," he often contemplated, "but why do I feel like this? What am I missing?"

Then one day Charmander saw Cyndaquil and Chimchar playing on the mountainside. He watched with wonder and envy as Cyndaquil's back lit on fire and Chimchar's tail flickered with flame.

"Oh! That's what I need," Charmander concluded. "Fire! I want fire!"

But how, he pondered, could he get fire?

Charmander went to the one Pokémon who could answer his question: Xatu.

The little lizard climbed to the peak of the mountain where Xatu stared into the sun all day. Reaching the peak, he asked the strange bird his question:

"Why do you stare at the sun? Aren't your eyeballs fried?"

"Pardon?" The tall bird turned around.

"Oh, I-I mean...,"Charmander sputtered.

Xatu chuckled, "I stare into the sun because it gives me knowledge, young Charmander."

"Really? Can it tell you how I can get fire?"

"You wish to receive the power of fire?" Xatu turned to the sunset. "I will see what I can do..."

Charmander waited. And waited. And waited...

After what seemed ages, Xatu suddenly spread his wings.

"Kwwwwwwwahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Charmander jumped awake. "What? What's going on?"

"I have seen it! The only way you can obtain fire, young Charmander, is to obtain a feather from the Flame Pokémon Moltres!"

"A feather? From Moltres?" Charmander repeated in wonder. Could it really be that simple?

"Yes," Xatu nodded, folding his wings back. "Eat a feather from Moltres' wings and you will have your fire!"

Charmander thanked Xatu and left the psychic bird to its perch, with its perfect view the sunset. All through that night and the next day, the little lizard journeyed to Moltres' roost: the crown of an active volcano.

When he finally reached that destination, he saw the Legendary Bird preening its fiery feathers upon the crown of a dead tree. The little lizard couldn't help but be a little intimidated by its sheer power and majesty. Desperate for fire, however, he bravely trudged up to it.

"WHO GOES THERE?" Moltres screeched once he heard Charmander’s approach.

"Ch-Ch-Charmander...er...," Charmander stuttered, courage quickly flying at the Legend’s harsh demand. "You're Fiery-ness-ness..."

"Charmander! Why have you come?" Moltres said a little more gently.

"Well, your flaming-ness, I couldn't help but admire your burning glory..."

"Yes, go on," the vain, self-centered Moltres encouraged.

"Well, I-I was-s wondering...could I...perhaps...have one of your...f-feathers? Please?"

Moltres stared long and hard at Charmander before it threw its beak back and began laughing. Charmander was mystified, but not wanting to upset Moltres, he chuckled back uneasily. Then Moltres snapped shut and turned to the little lizard with sudden vehemence.

"Let me get this straight. You... want me to give you one of my special feathers?" He glared at poor Charmander, as if expecting him to answer.

"Please?" Charmander squeaked, quivering in fear.

"GET OFF MY MOUNTAIN!" Moltres roared.

Charmander didn't need to be told twice. He high-tailed it out of there faster than a Ponyta on a sunny day.

Once he gathered his wits, Charmander began to form a plan. He was so determined to get fire that he was daring enough to face Moltres again... if not, indirectly.

The sun descended, and night took over. Moltres settled once again into its nest to rest until the sun rays roused it the next morning. Little did it know that it was being carefully watched by two little blue eyes.

Once Moltres had fallen soundly asleep, Charmander crawled out of his hiding spot and snuck out into the open, all the while watching the bird warily. He kept imagining it waking up and unleashing a fiery wrath on him, even though the bird never stirred. Before he knew it, Charmander was within reach of a feather. He watched Moltres, letting his thumping heart calm down.

Then, he reached a shaking paw towards a feather...

Moltres warbled in his sleep.

Charmander froze, heart racing faster than ever before. But Moltres was soundly sleeping once again. Breathing a sigh of relief, he tried again, needlessly slower. His claws wrapped around one shaft, and his heart raced even faster. Ever so delicately he tugged it out.

Moltres stirred.

Charmander squeezed his eyes shut, expecting an instantaneous fiery demise, but nothing happened. He opened them again and to his greatest relief he saw that Moltres was still asleep. Its magical feather was flickering in his tiny claws. He cheered inwardly, then snuck away from Moltres’ roost. Once he cleared the volcano's crown, he examined the feather more closely. It looked as if a flame were flickering in his palms, but somehow still retained a feather-like structure.

"I did it!" Charmander congratulated himself, "I got fire!"

Dancing around in circles, he admired the feather and his good fortune. When he was finished, he raised the feather to his maw and down it went. The feather tasted like the hottest Figy berry imaginable. It filled Charmander with such energy that his eyes began to water. Seeking relief, he opened his mouth and sucked in all the cold night air he could. On the exhale, to his amazement, a stream of fire surged forth. A Flamethrower! Charmander had breathed a Flamethrower!

A horrible screech filled the air, a screech all too familiar to Charmander.

Moltres had awoken.

The lizards legs turned to jelly as the Flaming bird appeared over the lip of the volcano. Its sharp eyes easily spotted Charmander 's new flaming tail.

"YOU!" it shrilled. "YOU STOLE ONE OF MY FEATHERS!"

Charmander took off running, Moltres hot on his tail. In its rage the bird torched the earth, burning anything green around it. Grasslands started on fire, and trees were reduced to ash.

When the smoke cleared, it seemed that nothing had survived Moltres 's wrath.

Except Charmander.

He crawled out of a burrow and shook the ash and soot off of him, completely unscathed.

"WHAT!" Moltres screeched furiously. "HOW?!"

"I'll tell you how," Charmander stepped forward boldly. The energy from the feather still burned bright within him, making him feel invincible. "I'm a fire-type now! That's how!"

"You stole my feather," Moltres put the pieces together, "then you ATE it!!!"

"Yep," Charmander grinned like a proud fool.

Moltres screeched again, the loudest and harshest one yet. "You will pay for you insolence, lizard! I may not be able to harm you now, but I can still make you suffer! You can have your fire, but if that flame on the tip of your tail ever, ever goes out... your life will end!"

With that, Moltres screeched for the last time and stormed off, leaving Charmander to his own fate.

And to this day, Charmander and his decedents guard their flame, through rain or snow, wind or shine, to make sure their flame never flickered out, ever wary of Moltres’ curse.

~FIN~
    Last edited by FedoraChar; 10-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    I have entries for Snubbull, Taillow, Ho'oh, and Lugia...
    Oh, lovely! 8D Well, if you've read the entries that have already been posted and you think that your stories are appropriate, then go for it! Post one and we'll review it. x)

Yay, Charmander story! xD

~SF.

Senior Moderator

Here's "Why Snubbull Has Floppy Ears"--Korra is one of the Meowths listening to the classic Trio tell tales around the campfire

The tale I adapted this from

[May I ask a question, Ash?] Korra asks as Pikachu romps by her side.

"What is it?" Ash replies.

[Of all the dog Pokemon I see, Snubbull is the only one with floppy ears...why is that?]

Ash thinks for a moment, then begins a story. "To answer that question, you have to remember that a long time ago--long before any of us existed--Snubbull had ears that stood up straight like the other dog Pokemon. He was very brave, and feared no human."

[As all Pokemon should be, not just the dogs.] Mai adds.

"Well, one day, Snubbull found an adventurers' camp in the forest, and he saw a young man tending to the meat the humans were going to have for their dinner that night." Ash continues. "All that fresh Stantler and Ursaring meat made Snubbull's mouth water, so he approached the young man and told him he would protect the camp if he could have a share of the meat."

[And then?] Korra is interested.

"The man agreed, and for a while, Snubbull made good on his bargain--he fought off Ursarings and Persians, helped out when the humans hunted, and protected them at night." Ash continues. "But then one night, some Mightyenas came to the camp, and struck up a conversation with Snubbull. They talked for so long, Snubbull didn't see that some of the Mightyenas had snuck into the camp and were eating all the food!"

"Pika..." Pikachu swallows hard.

"Of course when the humans found all their food gone, they yelled at Snubbull so much, he trembled in fear and his ears drooped in shame." Ash concludes. "That's why that out of all the dog Pokemon, only the Snubbull has floppy ears, in remembrance of how the Mightyena tricked him long ago."

That's a really cool tale! O: The only thing is, I don't want to accept a story about Ash and his friends, when you could have written the story from the snubbull's point of view and Ash would have nothing to do with it. It's meant to be about ancient pokemon, so having a tale about Ash explaining what happened is sorta not the right way we're looking to do things.

If you wrote the story from that snubbull's perspective, that would be perfect. :] Right now it's about someone telling the story; I want to see the story as its own story, not from the perspective of another.

~SF.