Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar

Role Play Cafe: General Discussion and hang out about RP itself.

*insert snazzy banner here*

In association with the Writer's Guild.

Welcome to the RP Cafe! Here is a general discussion about RP itself, not a particular Role Play you are participating in. Those should have their own threads for their respective RPs. Here we can discuss the makings of an RP, asking for assistance on ideas, looking for a particular kind of RP, and a meet and greet on RP projects, so on and so forth. Everyone from the new to the seasoned crew and everything in between. We're also here to help teach, improve or clarify on what Role Playing actually is, how it works and how to help others get better. Another aspect of the Cafe, is help working on regular articles to post on the PXR site to help bring people in to our neck of the forum, as well as some RP spot lights. Who doesn't love free advertisements? The only catch is that it's gotta be Pokemon related for the free advertising, with us being a Pokemon site and all. However, this does not stop non-Pokemon related material from applying to the rest of the Cafe!

Let's break down into more detail:

Role Play General Discussion:
    We discuss about Role Play itself. Regarding aspects of Role Playing, what terms mean, experiences via Role Playing so on and so forth. New and need some advice? Pull up a chair, and fellow members [and of course myself] will be happy to assist you in any way we can. The more the merrier they say, and the more you have, the more you can give! Got an RP that you see could use a few more members, or are looking for something specific? This is the place to ask. Got a question for a Mod? You can ask here too! Remember though, appropriate public questions only. Wondering if an RP is appropriate for the boards? You can ask here too. Please put all large wall's of text in SPOILER tags for easier navigation of the thread.

Role Play Forging:
    Back in ye olde days of PE2K, in a galaxy far far away... there was what we called the RP Forge. Well we've converted it into a nice corner where people who are looking for RP creation assistance, be it character or story, can come in here and ask for some advice. Remember, we are all respectful of each other here, so constructive criticism here, no being rude. Here's a nifty little form for you to follow:

• RP Idea/Post: Is it a plot, story, or a character? Explain what it is you're working on! Is it a written post that could use more work? Need help knowing how to fix a shaky response? Explain!
    • Assistance is needed with: What is it you're needing help with? Explain is as much detail as you'd like.
    • What you're aiming or: This helps with those who are looking to give you some advice to better pin point ideas in how to help you
    • Anything else?: Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Role Play Tutoring:

Of course, RP isn't something everyone understands how to do right off the bat. Role Player's work together to make an awesome story, and we love helping others out. Want some help getting started with the basics? No problem, we have member[s] that are willing to give you a hand via PM Tutoring. Most are learning by doing types, but if you have a particular area you'd like help in, feel free to ask for it here! Want to help the cause? Certainly! We'll sign you up on the board to help you help those that need help and help help helpity help help help.

Role Play Tutors:
    • Saraibre Ryu
    • NobleJanobii

Role Tips and Spotlight, RP related Articles for PXR:
    Here's where we get more user involved. Role Tips is a soon to be existing, regular PXR article on what Role Playing itself is. Since Role Play is a huge part of the Pokemon fandom, it might help those that aren't apart of the PXR forums out with these regular looks into the wonderful worlds we create. Each two weeks there will be a theme in this post, including an index of what topics we cover. The articles final draft will be organized and written by me, but since Role Play involves a multitude of people, a multitude of people should give some input! All you need to do regarding submitting something for the article itself, is put "Article Input" at the top of your post, in a bright colour preferably so I don't miss it, and wrap QUOTE tags around what you would like to input for the article. I'll try to fit in as much as I can for the theme or topic of the week, and the types of articles aren't set in stone, some might range from giving advice, to Q and A's!

Spotlights work a similar way, only it's taking a look at one Pokemon related Role Play, and giving it some front page fame on PXR. I'll try to spotlight some really good ones and try to get to everyone. Remember it must be Pokemon related. I'd love to give a spotlight for them all, but Pokemon ones go on the main site. All you need to do is give me the following info:

RP Title:
    Banner/Image for the RP: [This entirely optional, I can even make you one if you like!]
    Genre[s]:
    Summary of the RP:
    Other Info you' like to include:

RP Cafe Code of Conduct:
    1. Be respectful to everyone here. No flamming, spamming, etc. All forum rules apply.
    2. If you have an inquiry to a mod about something specific that might be sensitive, please PM myself about it instead of posting it here.
    3. Remember, constructive criticism, and do not put others idea's down. We're here to help, not hinder. This includes if you are an RP tutor.
    4. Have fun here, we're all kindly and good natured here!
    5. If anyone is found breaking the rules, they will be removed and unable to participate in the RP Cafe for a length of time determined by the severity of the incident.
    6. Submitting content for articles or a Spotlight entry must all be appropriate. Inappropriate content will not be used. All content must be your own as well. All advice and quotations will be credited by those who post them. Theft and plagiarism is not tolerated, and will be dealt with accordingly.

Role Tip's Article Topic: The Basics
    First article, and everyone should start with the basics. We'll be explaining the basic bits of role playing, such as going over the terms most commonly used, as well as asking for advice from you, about how new, upcoming role players should start out on their adventures. [This does not include Role Play creation, as that is another subject for another time.]
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 02-23-2017 at 03:29 PM.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Nobody's posted here yet? Well, because it's stickied and I need help, there's really not another option I can think of:

RP Idea/Post: Back in the times of PS, I had an RP called Anime Life. Basically, all characters were thrown into an anime school, which was full of all sinister goings-on. I want to relaunch it as my first RP of PXR. I guess I could use some help with thickening the plot, too.
    Assistance is needed with: At the risk of sounding like a noob, how do sign-ups work here? In PS, sign-ups were in the main thread, but that seems to be different here, so I'm quite confused. Sorry for the noobishness...
    What you're aiming or: How to make a good, dramatic plot full of twists and turns for the most part, but also how to present the RP before I start it up.
    Anything else?: Bagels.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    Nobody's posted here yet? Well, because it's stickied and I need help, there's really not another option I can think of:

RP Idea/Post: Back in the times of PS, I had an RP called Anime Life. Basically, all characters were thrown into an anime school, which was full of all sinister goings-on. I want to relaunch it as my first RP of PXR. I guess I could use some help with thickening the plot, too.
    Assistance is needed with: At the risk of sounding like a noob, how do sign-ups work here? In PS, sign-ups were in the main thread, but that seems to be different here, so I'm quite confused. Sorry for the noobishness...
    What you're aiming or: How to make a good, dramatic plot full of twists and turns for the most part, but also how to present the RP before I start it up.
    Anything else?: Bagels.
    I'm happy to help, send me a private message or add me on Skype (Liiiammm) and we can talk! :)
    Adolescence didn't make sense
    The little loss of innocence
    The ugliness of being a fool
    Ain't youth meant to be beautiful?

All credit for my signature image goes to Absol.

YAY PEOPLE USED THIS!

Hopefully this will explain our Sign Ups a bit more for you @Blaquaza:

Sign Ups on PXR work in a rather simply fashion. You present the plot of your RP, then make your Sign Up sheet. The Sign Up sheet is a skeleton consisting of what information you want to know about the person's character that is trying to join your RP. The thread can also be used for discussion at the same time, since we don't have a separate section for that. This is why we see a lot of the [SUDS] tag, meaning Sign Up Discussion.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    YAY PEOPLE USED THIS!

Hopefully this will explain our Sign Ups a bit more for you @Blaquaza:

Sign Ups on PXR work in a rather simply fashion. You present the plot of your RP, then make your Sign Up sheet. The Sign Up sheet is a skeleton consisting of what information you want to know about the person's character that is trying to join your RP. The thread can also be used for discussion at the same time, since we don't have a separate section for that. This is why we see a lot of the [SUDS] tag, meaning Sign Up Discussion.
    Yeah, I think I get it a bit more now. It's similar to what we did in PS, now that I think about it, only the actual RP starts somewhere else. It's more organised your way. :3

And I always wondered what that [SUDS] tag meant, so thanks for the help.

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I've done an RP, but I've been really thinking about trying another one.

But more than that, I've been thinking about experimenting--what I'd like to try is a hybrid Role-play that takes place both on Skype and here on the forums. Ideally, there wouldn't be just one "mastermind". There would be two or more tackling the flow of events. Players would then be split into duos/teams (depending on number of participants) and assigned a mission. They would schedule a time with one of the judges/refs/masterminds to meet on Skype, and during this time they would try to complete the mission.

Once the meeting is over (mission complete or not), one of the participants would be required to go to the main Role-play and summarize what had happened (including highlights, turning points, ect).

That's the general idea that I got, but I'd appreciate feedback--do you think this will work? Are there some issues that should be revised? What do you think?

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

That would actually be pretty cool in that it is different, as well as you know when there will and won't be activity .

@Charmander009

Seems like an interesting concept... however my lack of sleep is preventing me from following completely on your idea. Is there a whirlwind example you could provide?

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    That would actually be pretty cool in that it is different, as well as you know when there will and won't be activity .
    Exactly! It'd require constant communication between players as well, so it hopefully will keep players committed. Also, it should be helpful in moving the plot further ahead then just the beginning stages :)

Quote Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
    @Charmander009

Seems like an interesting concept... however my lack of sleep is preventing me from following completely on your idea. Is there a whirlwind example you could provide?
    Hmm... How about this--although it's not the idea I had in mind for this, it might illustrate this:

Remember my old Pokemon Gladiator Role-play? What if instead of one "Gamemaster" there were several "Bosses" who were in charge of what the players faced in the Battleground--they would understand the main plot of the RP and know what needed to happen. The "missions" I mentioned earlier would translate into different "levels" on the Battleground--with a specific goal in mind (defeat so many enemies, beat the Boss, and so forth).

At the beginning of a round, the Bosses would team some players up and assign them specific missions--like, "Go to Sector Four and defeat X amount of enemies" or "West Gate: Survive for X amount of minutes". The players in the same team would message each other and try to find a time that they can get on Skype and Role-play the mission out then talk to one of the Bosses who would be free at that time (Bosses could be required to post times that they would be available). If some players are unresponsive, those that are active can be reassigned to a different group.

Once a time is decided, everyone will meet up on Skype and the mission will begin. The Boss will be in charge of things that need to happen--in this case, they will choose the number of enemies, if an attack hits, if an enemy is defeated, when the mission is complete, and so on. The group should try to finish the mission in a single meeting, but if for some reason it's cut short (one of the persons has to leave or something), the group will have to schedule another time to meet.

REGARDLESS of whether a mission is completed or not, one person from the group (players or Bosses [actually, it could be the sole responsibility of the Boss, if you wanted--feedback on that idea pls :)]) will have to write up a summary of what happened in the Skype chat and post it on the main Role-play thread. That way, people who weren't included in the thread will still know what happened :)

I hope that clears things up ^^' (hopefully I didn't repeat too much xD)

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

http://www.pokemoncrossroads.com/forum/showthread.php?1683-Role-Play-Cafe-General-Discussion-and-hang-out-about-RP-itself

As always, these tutorials are pretty awesome.

The only thing I would like to learn more about would be stat systems. I've played in RPs with them; they really add some suspense to how battles will turn out. As someone who has a bad habit of making everything go right for my characters, the stat system really helps provide some bumps in the road, especially in battle.

Now I want to create my own system, specifically for pokemon. I'm having trouble with determining whether an attack will hit or miss. While there is a formula in the game, that only tells you the probability of a hit. I'd like to turn that into an easy system that will determine hits and misses without a sand attack breaking the game. Does anyone out there know where I can get started?