Episode 17: Clearing a Path

"Thank you so much for the fireworks!" Shauna grinned as we departed the palace with Liam's Pokeflute later that afternoon.

"And thank you both--for finding Colette safe." the butler smiled.

Then, something occurred to him. "In fact, allow me the opportunity to show you that a Pokeflute can be a serious instrument..." With that, he handed both Shauna and me Pokeflute cases.

"Thanks." I smiled. Even though I had once sworn off playing the Pokeflute after that torturous third grade music class, the slender black case in my hands and the memory of Ash playing made me wonder: Was there more to the instrument than the endless renditions of "Mary Had a Little Mareep" and "Hot Cross Buns" all those years ago?

Chester seemed excited by the cases we carried. [I'd like to hear one of you play those Pokeflutes...]

"...and I need to rest from walking...." Shauna wheezed as she sat down in the grass and cuddled Chester.

"Very well--if you're feeling tired, we can rest for a moment." the butler assured us. "But let's not tarry any longer than we need to."

I nodded, carefully opened the Pokeflute case, and studied the instrument inside. It didn't look any different from millions of other deep brown or black plastic Pokeflutes, or the occasional lighter browns wooden instruments sometimes came in.

After looking the instrument over and finding no scratches or cracks, I decided to try playing it. After a few initial weak and flat notes, I started playing an airy and squeaky improvisation trying to remember all the fingerings.

Then I saw a fingering chart in the case, so using that as my guide, I managed to eke out a very mistake-filled rendition of "Jelan's Prayer" from "The Song Mage Chronicles". [Nut bad fer nut pleying in a long time!] Erin smiled as she applauded.

"It'll get better with practice, don't worry!" Shauna agreed.

[Even though it was filled with a lot of airy and wrong notes, you still gave it your all--that's what made it beautiful to me] Rouge smiled.

I was about to acknowledge my applause when a white light got my attention. "What the..." I gasped as Kaitou started to transform into a slightly larger turtle with wing-like ears and a long, furry tail.

"Perhaps your attempt at a song made your Squirtle happy enough to evolve." the butler grinned.

I set my Pokeflute aside and retrieved my Pokedex to read up on what Kaitou had become:

Wartortle, the turtle Pokemon. Its furry tail is popular as a symbol of longevity.

Tears of happiness formed in my eyes. "You really liked that enough to evolve?"

[Of course--I know it'll sound as beautiful as it once did with some practice.] Kaitou echoed Rouge's sentiments as I put my new Pokeflute away.

"Speaking of music, what can you tell us about the songs said to trigger Mega Evolution?" Shauna asked as we started down the road again.

"Not much, I'm afraid..." the butler sighed. "The Mega form lies dormant in the Pokemon said to be able to do this, and only awakens when the trainer's Heart Song is sung. But what these are and the rings used to trigger Mega Evolution have been long since lost." Shauna nodded to show she understood.

The look of pure joy on Liam's face when he saw us arriving with his instrument made Shauna forget about Mega Evolution for a while. "You found it! Thank Arceus it wasn't lost or stolen!"

"It was merely in your room the whole time." the butler assured him as he handed the case to Liam. I wanted to tell Liam about chasing down flighty Furfrou, but decided that would spoil the happiness in the air.

"Say...you have your guitar, right?" Shauna grinned. "Maybe you could back Liam up on whatever tune he plays!"

Liam grinned when he saw me retrieve my guitar and start to tune up. "Any suggestions for what kind of tune will wake up lardball here?" he asked. The Snorlax, meanwhile, just gave a blissful purr as it slept.

"Anything fast, and upbeat." I suggested as I played around with a harmonic progression in A minor.

My little riff seemed to inspire Liam--he started the tune "The Swellow's Tail" over my rhythm, and Shauna helped clapping some rocks together for percussion. Someone joined in on fiddle, and more drums, until a ragtag band was all playing the tune at the bridge.

The Snorlax lifted its head upon hearing the noise, and started to slowly lumber off into the brush as the tune continued. Just as quickly as they had joined in, the other instruments dropped out,until it was just me, Liam, and Shauna finishing the tune.

"Bravo, Liam!" the butler smiled as he applauded. "Wonderful, as always!"

"It was great to play this again..." Liam smiled before addressing us. "Thank you both for playing with me--it's not often I get to have an impromptu session on the road...usually I play for parties and sessions indoors."

"We'll come jam with you again anytime you want!" Shauna grinned.

"Yes...that song and a gift of Pokeflutes for both of us made me want to start playing again." I grinned.

Liam smiled. "Cherish your instruments, both of you, and practice as often as you can for me, okay?"

"We will!" I called as we departed across the bridge.

Erin was singing "The Swellow's Tail" all the way down the road, which got Callum's attention. "Well! I see Erin's in a good mood today..."

[Ye missed a fine session at te bridge!] Erin smiled. [Got even te Snorlaxes dancin']

"I'm sure it sounded wonderful..." Callum smiled before turning business-like again. "But the reason I came was to invite you two over to see the daycare that's not far from here. When I left, Trevor and Tierno were having the time of their lives playing with the babies."

"Baby Pokemon!!!!" Shauna gasped, starry eyed at the prospect of seeing Pichus, Azurills, Happinis, and other baby Pokemon up close.

"We'd love to come see the babies." I told Callum.

"Come on then." Callum motioned for us to follow him down the road...