Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Anomalous Eldritch Cryptid Saraibre Ryu's Avatar

[SU] A Tale of Those who Awoke - Poipole's and Palkia's Alpha Test

Note: This is a test for the Poipole's and Palkia's system. There will be no technical combat in this story, as we try and get a feel for how things work out. Please see the Technical Discussion with all the links here.

'Welcome... you've awoken my friend...'

A common first phrase to hear when anyone Awakens... consciousness like you've never known. You're tired, exhausted, but you press on. Eventually you find yourself in a small village. Buildings, fences and glances all greet you as you enter. At first, they're apprehensive, but then they welcome you after a few days. You're told this is the small village of Wakken. Given a small pack with some basic provisions, tools and coin. There are other Pokemon here, some with grand homes, some with smaller abodes, but shops and professions. However there are the Pokemon outside. Pokemon of a more dull, simple complexion. The ones here are vibrant, full of life and diversity. What is the cause for this difference? Were you one of these dull beings only a week before?

'You aren't alone...'

Soon you find that, you aren't the only one waking up. In fact this isn't the only place Pokemon are Awakening. Soon you know of other villages, they too have Pokemon joining them every so often. New arrivals with strange clothes and equipment visit Wakken. Maybe you were one of the visitors. Maybe you were one of the witnesses.

'Not everyone wakes up...'

There are other Pokemon, wild, frenzied... almost lost in their colouration. They attack Wakken every few weeks. Pokemon die, buildings and homes damaged... you want to do something about it. Strangers have come here to do something about it. You have a drive to join these strangers, but no skills yet. Where did you gain your skills?

Were you a simple Fighter?
    Do you have the quiet streak of a Rogue?
    Someone skilled as a Ranger?
    Did you find faith as a Cleric?
    Does your passion drive you as a Barbarian?
    Did another being find reason to turn you into a Warlock?
    Was the study of power what made you a Wizard?
    Were songs and tales your taste to being a Bard?
    Had something naturally wake you to being a Sorcerer?
    Does a promise create a Paladin?
    Wills of nature maybe called to your inner Druid?
    Patience and training maybe had you follow a Monk way?

Whatever your skills, you had to find out. So did others, as many were coming to Wakken Village to search. The monstrous Pokemon had earned the name Slumberwrought. Many assumed there might be a price to pay for Pokemon that could not Awaken properly. Perhaps if something was waking Pokemon to a higher state of being, something else may be dragging them back down into a lower state of existing. Whatever it was, the Slumberwrought were powerful, dangerous, and they needed their mystery solved. There have been job postings everywhere, in every tavern and bounty board you see. Many are afraid, some too emboldened for their own good. Which one are you? Who will you adventure with?

RULES:
    • This is a D&D 5E style game. Thus my role is playing the world and every NPC and enemy in it.
    • All normal RP forum rules apply.
    • Due to the nature of the game, some of the outcomes of some Player decisions will be narrated by myself, as some will require rolls.
    • The first experiment for skill checks will be me rolling for them while posting the results.
    • As this is all written format over a much longer period of time versus D&D normal at the table and in real time, things may be a little wonky.
    • If you are familiar with D&D, please help those who can't!

CLASSES:
    Barbarian
    Your emotions sustain your ability for combat. While in a rage, you become a fearsome warrior that will not relent. Your raw strength is often unmatched by most, only finding challenge in monstrous opponents.

Bard
    Your ability to weave words into arcane fantasies to embolden your allies or deflate the morale of your foes is your talent. Your songs bring rest or pain to those you choose.

Cleric
    Faith and devotion to a being in the cosmos, one that you believe to be one who watches the best interest of the world. Your power comes from your belief in a higher power.

Druid
    The world runs it's course no matter what happens. Your sense of the natural world is so strong you may as well be apart of it. The wilds don't scare you, even some creatures don't sense a disconnect with you.

Fighter
    A simple soul, with battle prowess that is refined in different ways. Your natural weapons are your master tools, and your ability to strike with haste is scary. You can command, or advise in your moments of battle.

Monk
    Patience and training. You don't need claws, or fangs necessarily. You understand an energy of the universe not often acknowledged. All you need is yourself, and you can be your own deadliest weapon.

Paladin
    Your words and vows are your strongest power. An oath that cannot be broken or dire consequences will result. These promises empower you, making you a difficult foe to fell.

Ranger
    You've traveled far and wide, seeing lands far beyond the safety of your home. You prefer an efficient approach and are self sufficient in the world around you.

Rogue
    Quiet, full of guile, you pick and choose your battles, your targets. Those on the receiving end of your bad moods should be afraid. You make a great friend, and a terrifying enemy.

Sorcerer
    You have a natural power within you. It's origin is unknown, but it empowers you in ways you may be afraid to learn. You can't be rid of it though, so you may want to learn to use it.

Warlock
    You were an ordinary individual... until something heard your cry for help. Benevolent, malevolent, you are unsure, but you have abilities for a price. You will fufill this bargain though.

Wizard
    Constant study of your natural abilities beyond the physical realm. Your skills and studies have brought you above those who use tooth and nail to fight back the monsters.

THE SIGN UP SHEET

Name:
    Pokemon Species: Basic Pokemon ONLY, no baby Pokemon, Legendaries. Some other Pokemon may be off the table for story purposes. I will give you species traits once you choose a Pokemon.
    Level: You're all technically a level 1 character. For Pokemon comparisons, D&D is 1-20, Pokemon is 1-100, so take your character level, multiply it by 5 for the comparison.
    Class: There will be a few class mechanics given since this is a no combat test, I'm not giving out full class details yet. They are in the list above but I will be providing some details later on.
    Ability Scores: These are essentially your base stats for the game. You may choose these with this calculator. Do not Select a Race that will mess up your scores. When you're at 27/27, your selections are complete.
    Please watch this if you have no idea what any of these mean: Handbooker Helper: Ability Scores AKA What are Ability Scores?
    This might be helpful too: Handbooker Helper: Ability Checks, Proficiencies & Saving Throws AKA What is all this technical jargon I keep seeing?
    Please use the links in the technical discussion to see what bonuses you get, or I can let you know once your character sheet is done to the best of your ability.
    STR:
    DEX:
    CON:
    INT:
    WIS:
    CHA:
    Background: Give me some backstory on your character. Depending on your background, I will grant you additional skill proficiencies.
    Skill Proficiencies: You may choose up to 4 based on this list.

Ability Score Chart that shows what bonuses you get based on how high your stat is:

There will be a lot of talking on creating characters! It's a lot of work and trust me when I say there will be no instant acceptances of sheets. Don't worry though, it's not as hard as it seems! I'm just bad at explaining. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible so bear with me.
    Last edited by Saraibre Ryu; 02-16-2019 at 03:26 PM.

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa
    Hatch: 2883
    Clefairy: 2988
    Clefable: 3108
    Level100: 3168

2. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

NOTE: I'm familiar with D&D 2nd edition, but I kind of stopped after that and I don't know how much has changed since then. Shouldn't be too hard for me to get up to speed, but I probably wouldn't be the best adviser for the true newbies. I watched those video guides and I can see where some changes have been made here and there, but the general concepts and stuff seem to be the same.

Name: Crovax
    Pokémon Species: Emolga
    Level: 1
    Class: Rogue
    Ability Scores:
    STR: 10
    DEX: 17 (15 Default +2 Electric & Flying Racial)
    CON: 12
    INT: 12 (10 Default + 2 Electric & Flying Racial)
    WIS: 10
    CHR: 14

Electric - You are immune to the Paralyzed Condition. You have 2 Reactions instead of 1.
    Flying - You have Advantage on ground based Dexterity Saving Throws and take no damage instead of half when you succeed, and half on failure.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write in the following additional languages
    Jollish
    Auran

Emolga Specific Racial Features:
    Walking Speed: 25ft
    Size: Small
    Glide: You can glide up to a distance of 60ft. You have advantage on Stealth checks made when gliding to not be heard.

Abililty:
    Static: When you are successfully hit with a Melee Attack or Move Skill, you may use your Reaction to force that target must make a Strength Saving Throw, DC 13. On a failed save, that target is under the Paralyzed Condition until the end of your next turn.

Class Features:
    HP: Your starting HP is 7. (6+Con Mod of +1 =7)
    Thieves Cant: You understand the coded languages of thieves, criminals and the general underworld, including symbols and markings.
    Proficiency - Thieves Tools: An array of lock picking and trap disarming tools, very important for any rogue to have. You will start with Thieves tools in your inventory on top of the additional starting equipment, that will be sorted once your character sheet numbers are complete!

Saving throw Proficiencies: DEX and INT

Additional Background Skills: Performance and Investigation

Background: Within Crovax, there are plenty of future possibilities. Mercenary, assassin, bounty hunter, vigilante, saboteur, and spy just to name a few. He's a Pokémon that enjoys not being seen and not being heard, because he knows a famous thief is a bad thief. As a result, he only wants a reputation among underground networks that want to be kept in the dark just as much as he wants to be. Among the common folk, he'd rather be that shadow sitting in the corner of the tavern where his name is mainly on a need to know basis. Or at least his real name anyway.

Crovax does have a moral code, however, even though he always loves the prospect of making money. He won't go after someone who he feels doesn't deserve it. The innocent child of a corrupted noble, a defenseless witness, or a baby are all things that fall into these categories, but usually the kinds of jobs that he comes across don't involve too many instances like these. A greedy noble who could use their coin pouch lightened or a corrupted politician who needs a nice permanent sleep are the opportunities he's more after.

A big trait that Crovax makes most of his focus on is his stealth and secrecy. His ability to fly and glide without noisy wing flapping. His ability to crawl and get into tight spaces or get a better view from up on high. The way he can dismantle locks with his small hands or perform swift tasks that larger Pokémon would fumble. All exceptional rogue traits. In the meantime, despite his line of work, he has a true sense of mischief. He can pull a trick and make another Pokémon look responsible. He can engineer a stroke of "bad luck" for another Pokémon. He can talk another Pokémon into snitching for him. All lovely capabilities.

Skill Proficiencies:
    EX Acrobatics
    EX Stealth
    Deception
    Sleight of Hand

My goodness, my favorite Pokémon and RPG class go so darn well together! XD

Senior Moderator

Count me in!

Name: Tarina
    Pokemon Species: Pikachu
    Class: Bard
    Ability: Static
    HP: 8 (7 on a d8, +1 CON)

Ability Scores:

STR: 10
    DEX: 13
    CON: 12
    INT: 13
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 15

Background: As a Pichu, Tarina would listen with awe and wonder as her parents wove her tales of daring heroes, terrifying monsters, beautiful princesses, and above all, good triumphing over evil. As she grew up, she joined the minstrel's hall, where she learned to play a number of instruments, sing, and tell the old tales she enjoyed so long ago.

Filled with an intense joie de vivre, not even the worst of circumstances can get Tarina down. She believes in doing the right thing, even if you have to step on a few toes to do it. While not as fiercely devoted to the call of justice like a paladin, she does have a heart for the less fortunate and down on their luck, so she often donates a share of her tips to the less fortunate.

Being a traveling minstrel, she has seen many things and heard many tales, both real and imagined. Her knowledge of lore makes her a valuable ally to have, especially if one is venturing into ancient ruins or a similar dungeon.

Skill proficiencies: Performance (lute and mandolin--of the two, mandolin is her main.), History, Insight, Perception

Type Racial Features: Electric

You gain a +1 to CON, DEX, WIS and INT for being a monotype!

Electric - You are immune to the Paralyzed Condition. You have 2 Reactions instead of 1.

Jollish

Pikachu Specific Features:
    Walking Speed: 35ft
    Friendly Demeanor: Pikachu's are often seen as very approachable folk. DC's to make checks involving talking to strangers for help are lowered for you.

Class Features:
    Bardic Inspiration: By singing a jingle to your friends, they feel inspired by your music. As a Bonus Action you may give Bardic Inspiration to one Player. For ten minutes, a player with Bardic inspiration may roll an additional D6 on an Ability Check, Attack Roll, or Saving Throw. They may use this after seeing the roll but not before seeing the outcome.
    Jack of All Trades: You may roll half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) when making skill checks with a skill you are not proficient in.
    Bardic Focus: You gain Proficiency in an instrument of your choice, and you use this instrument to assist in using your Move Skills (when we get to combat in another test thread anyway)

Saving throw Proficiencies: CHA and DEX

Additional Background Skills: Persuasion and Acrobatics

(I hope I did this right...)
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-16-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Just so everyone is aware, I'm including abilities even if they are combat based for right now, as some of them could be applied for non combat/creative uses. Also all Proficiency Bonuses are level based, so it's a +2 for everyone. Everyone else has bonuses based on the raw Ability Score, which I should go find the chart for you all.

So @Neo Emolga since you are a Rougish Emolga, you gain the following features
    Spoiler:
    (If you've added these ability score increases already then ignore this):

Type Racial Features: Electric/Flying

As an Electric/Flying Type you may choose from these Ability Score Bonuses (No more than a net total of 4):
    +1 CON or DEX / +1 INT or WIS for Electric type
    +1 DEX or STR / +1 INT or WIS for Flying type

Flying - You have Advantage on ground based Dexterity Saving Throws and take no damage instead of half when you succeed, and half on failure.

Jollish
    Auran

Emolga Specific Racial Features:
    Walking Speed: 25ft
    Glide: You can glide up to a distance of 60ft. You have advantage on Stealth checks made when gliding to not be heard.

Choose your ability from Motor Drive, or Static and add it to your character sheet:
    Motor Drive: When hit with an Electric type Move Skill, you gain +5 movement Speed.
    Static: When you are successfully hit with a Melee Attack or Move Skill, you may use your Reaction to force that target must make a Strength Saving Throw, DC 13. On a failed save, that target is under the Paralyzed Condition until the end of your next turn.

Class Features:
    HP: Your starting HP is 7. (6+Con Mod of +1 =7)
    Expertise: Choose two skills. When making a check with those skills, you double your proficiency bonus when making a check with those skills. Please note these skills with an EX next to them on your sheet please!
    Thieves Cant: You understand the coded languages of thieves, criminals and the general underworld, including symbols and markings.
    Proficiency - Thieves Tools: An array of lock picking and trap disarming tools, very important for any rogue to have. You will start with Thieves tools in your inventory on top of the additional starting equipment, that will be sorted once your character sheet numbers are complete!

Saving throw Proficiencies: DEX and INT

Additional Background Skills: Performance and Investigation

I would give you Sneak Attack but seeing as we're not testing combat, that's kinda pointless. >.>

@EmeraldSky These are for you to add!

Spoiler:
    Type Racial Features: Electric
    You gain a +1 to CON, DEX, WIS and INT for being a monotype!

Jollish

Pikachu Specific Features:
    Walking Speed: 35ft
    Friendly Demeanor: Pikachu's are often seen as very approachable folk. DC's to make checks involving talking to strangers for help are lowered for you.

Choose your ability from Motor Drive, or Static and add it to your character sheet:
    Lightning Rod: Whenever an Electric type Move Skill is used within 30ft of this Pokemon, the target changes to this Pokemon instead. They then gain a +1 to Ranged skill Damage until the end of combat.

Class Features:

Bardic Inspiration: By singing a jingle to your friends, they feel inspired by your music. As a Bonus Action you may give Bardic Inspiration to one Player. For ten minutes, a player with Bardic inspiration may roll an additional D6 on an Ability Check, Attack Roll, or Saving Throw. They may use this after seeing the roll but not before seeing the outcome.
    Jack of All Trades: You may roll half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) when making skill checks with a skill you are not proficient in.
    Bardic Focus: You gain Proficiency in an instrument of your choice, and you use this instrument to assist in using your Move Skills (when we get to combat in another test thread anyway)

Saving throw Proficiencies: CHA and DEX

Additional Background Skills: Persuasion and Acrobatics

So Emerald, you can have both proficiencies in Lute and Mandolin, they are separate from the Performance skill itself. Choose one of those for your Bardic Focus! Basically choose your favourite. XD

Other than that, you guys did great!

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

6. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

@Saraibre Ryu

I'll add these in and make my choices accordingly--also fixed up a few typos too.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Ok, I know next to nothing about actual character creation, so here’s my first attempt with what I believe to be the correct information wherever I had it, and question marks where I had no clue.

Name: Endentho Draynnor
    Pokemon Species: Lucario
    Class: Paladin
    Ability Scores:

STR: 14 (+2 = 16)
    DEX: 10
    CON: 10 (+2 = 12)
    INT: 10
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 14

Background: Endentho was raised by clerics to care for others and was taught of the gods from them, and while he followed their preachings, even so far as to learn how to heal others, something seemed to be missing. One day, while he was assisting the clerics, he heard a cry for help and found a Bisharp mugging a young Amaura. His blood boiled and the raw emotion he felt in that instant forced him to evolve. He decided right then and there that he wasn’t going to help the innocent from the sidelines anymore. He sprang into action, tackling the Bisharp to the ground and returning the Amaura’s items. As he stood up, he looked at the pokemon and growled. “Don’t let me ever catch you doing that again, or you won’t be let off so easy.” The Bisharp ran away, its metaphorical tail between its legs, and Endentho realized what was missing, he had found his calling. He was to be an instrument of the gods to purge evil from the world.

From that day on, he no longer trained just his faith, but also his body. His main goal was to strike fear into every evil heart, no matter how dark it may be, but he knew that he needed to not only look the part, but also to be able to back it up should he ever need to actually fight.

Skill Proficiencies: Intimidation, Medicine, Insight, Religion

Type Racials:
    Steel: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, AC is 14 rather than 10, before modifiers.
    Fighting: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, Advantage on saving throws from becoming frightened.

Languages:
    Can speak, read, and write in Terran (Steel) and Wellic (Fighting).

Lucario Specific Racial Features:

Walking Speed: 30ft
    Size: Medium

Aura Sense: Lucario's were born with a natural sense for the Aura, a mysterious energy of the world. As a Bonus Action you can focus your Aura to learn one of the following things:
    -The location of an ally within 1 mile of you.
    -Advantage on your next Insight Check.
    -Impose Disadvantage on the Attack/Move Skill attack roll that you see.

You can use this feature as many times as your Wisdom Modifier per Short Rest.

Class Specific Features:

HP: 11 (10 + Con Mod 1)

Oath:
    Oath of Devotion - You are dedicated to the people, aiding the weak, helping your friends with a loyal hand. Compassion is here where dishonesty is absent. You are dutiful to the people and those who are above you.

Lay on Hands:
    You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level x 5. As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool. Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

Divine Sense: As an action, you can sense otherworldly creatures within 60ft of you that isn't behind total cover, but not their identity. You can do this as many times as your Charisma modifier per long rest.

Saving Throw Efficiencies:

Wisdom, Charisma

Additional Background Skills:

Athletics, History
    Last edited by AWA1997; 02-20-2019 at 10:42 PM.

@AWA1997
    You did a great job! You got almost everything and that's great! Here's the rest for ya:
    Spoiler:

Lucario Specific Racial Features:
    Walking Speed: 30ft
    Size: Medium

Aura Sense: Lucario's were born with a natural sense for the Aura, a mysterious energy of the world. As a Bonus Action you can focus your Aura to learn one of the following things:
    • The location of an ally within 1 mile of you.
    • Advantage on your next Insight Check.
    • Impose Disadvantage on the Attack/Move Skill attack roll that you see.

You can use this feature as many times as your Wisdom Modifier per Short Rest.

Class Features:
    HP: 11 (10 + Con Mod 1)
    Oath:
    Your Oath is the most important part of your life. It grants you your strength, it is your code. Please choose from one of the Oath's below:
    Oath of Protection - It is your honour bound duty to protect others, be courageous in times of unwavering fear. There are rules and laws for a reason and while others may ignore them, you do not.
    Oath of Devotion - You are dedicated to the people, aiding the weak, helping your friends with a loyal hand. Compassion is here where dishonesty is absent. You are dutiful to the people and those who are above you.
    Oath of Redemption - While there is evil in the world, anyone can change. Conflict begets conflict where peace could be. Everyone was innocent once and you have the patience and wisdom to help heal that.
    Oath of Vengeance - Those who do wrong must be punished by any means necessary, and those wronged by them must be helped. Fighting the greater evil, no mercy for the wicked, nothing will stop this path of justice.
    Lay on Hands:
    You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level x 5. As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool. Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

Divine Sense: As an action, you can sense otherworldly creatures within 60ft of you that isn't behind total cover, but not their identity. You can do this as many times as your Charisma modifier per long rest.

Additional Background Skills: Athletics and History

ASB Stats | VPP Stats

Flute the Clefa

Alright, I have everything edited in except for the Oath, because I'm unsure which one would fit best with the character I'm trying to make. I will try to get that in ASAP though.

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    No mages yet? I must rectify that at once!

Name: Elvie Tremorin
    Pokemon Species: Jangmo-o
    Class: Warlock

Ability Scores:

STR: 8
    DEX: 12
    CON: 9
    INT: 15
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 15

Background:

Elvie was always annoyed by his innate weakness, not only evolving much later than other pokemon, but being much weaker until that moment. He would read up on as much as possible, from history, magic, and even psychology, trying to make his knowledge of people and places make up for his lack of power, though he was also frequently found drowning his feelings in the local alehouse.

One night, while especially drunk, Elvie came up the the brilliant plan of making a pact with a god for more power. He had read about how to commune with the legends, and had all the necessary equipment at home already. What could go wrong?

The next morning, he could recall nothing of that night. But a new tattoo on his shoulder reminded him of the pact he had made. Knowing not what he had offered to do, Elvie instantly regretted it, but what was done was done. None of the books had any solutions or ways to get out of such a pact, and so he resigned himself to it. Yet another thing to forget in the bottom of a tankard.

Now he wanders, following the orders of his patron, who staunchly refuses to tell him anything more than necessary, and caring little for others unless they can help him in his quest for knowledge and power, especially that which could help him reverse the pact.

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Religion, History, Persuasion.

We have quite the charismatic team here. Including Shruikan, we have an average of 14.5 there.

Also, I have my oath chosen.